A10 next year

slu72

Thank you almaman, that was embarrassing. CBI? We won't be back there for a decade, if that. Dynasty in the making. I'm almost expecting a NCAA berth between a 9 and 13 seed. Bookmark it, thank me later.

Any more to get in the NIT you have to basically be a bubble team. Only 32 spots available, but far less "at-large" bids than that. In two recent years including this one, 13 spots went to one-bid conference winners who lost in their tournament. That's only 19 bids left. In looking at it, with all the newcomers and question marks among the returnees, I couldn't see us being a bubble team next year so mentioned the CBI. I'd hope that SLU would still accept a CBI bid if one came despite our NCAA Tourney appearances over the past three years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same with Agbeko I can only go with what I have seen. He is or will be a big time scorer. Why we didn't see him that much is as good of a question as why we didn't see Crawford yesterday. Only staff can answer that. But I can say Agbeko is on a different level offensively when I have seen the freshmen

Looked pretty raw to me. But does look like he has the tools to score around the basket. He will play a lot next year regardless of whether he starts or not, because you know JM is going to get into foul trouble most games.

I agree, with a young team take any post season offer.

Was surprised Richmond or St Bona did not get a NIT, CBI or CIT invite.

A-10 teams are not eligible for the CIT. NIT had so many "bid thieves" b/c of auto bid to regular season conference winners. CBI is pay for play, which may turn some off.

I'm hoping for better next year, but if they don't make the NCAAs or NIT, I would definitely take a CBI spot if we got the same deal as 2010 (all home games until the final). Getting the young kids some extra playing/practice time and experience playing in a one-and-done tournament would be good.

I'm hoping for better next year, but if they don't make the NCAAs or NIT, I would definitely take a CBI spot if we got the same deal as 2010 (all home games until the final). Getting the young kids some extra playing/practice time and experience playing in a one-and-done tournament would be good.

Plus, the early season tournaments we got out of it.

Based on what's returning, I'd rank the teams this way:

1) VCU --- well, not fair because I know they are touting a couple of high-ranking recruits for next year as well. But I think Alie-Cox can replace Reddic and Melvin Johnson, Jordan Burgess and Doug Brooks will more than replace Brandenburg's starting numbers. Plus their unique style always adds to their aura.

2) GeeDubya --- they lose Creek, Mikic and Armwood but return sophs-to-juniors McDonald, Larsen, Garino and Savage. Savage has to recover from his injury and McDonald is heading to off-season hip surgery. The bench was extremely weak and only Kopriva saw enough developmental time this year to remotely matter for next year. And that won't be much.

3) Rhode Island --- only lost Xavier Mumford and if Jordan Hare returns, he gets added to a nice nucleus of Cummings, Martin, Biruta, Minnis, and a few more. They only show a PG recruit coming in at this point so the cupboard is bare there right now.

4) Dayton --- they lose Oliver, Kavanaugh and Sanford but return three starters from a Sweet Sixteen team that will receive the media love bump like La Salle did last year. I'm still not that impressed but Pierre and Siebert and Price are a nice start and two of those are experienced guards.

5) Richmond --- they developed like we did four years ago by having to play young guys when Williams and Lindsey went down. They'll be okay, likely better than average with Anthony, Nelson-Ododa, Taylor and the others back.

6) La Salle --- they lose the engine in Duren plus two other starters in Mills and Garland. But they return Wright and Zack which is essentially their whole frontline. Petersen and Brown have experience off the bench but nothing of note. I think it depends on Khalid Lewis, last year's transfer from Delaware, to see if he can regain what he lost due to nagging injuries this year.

7) Umass --- Chaz Williams gone. Enough said. Plus Carter and Putney. I didn't see much of a point-in-the-making this year so next year will be tough with either developing one or relying on a freshman.

8) St. Joe's --- lost everything. Return Wilson (blah) and Bembry (can't do it alone). Miles and Ndao have to step up or Young Frankenstein relys on unknown freshmen. Could be long year on Hawk Hill.

9) Fordham --- Severe is a player. Leonhard is a nice big and they got some minutes from Canty and Rhoomes last year. I don't know that Pecora has turned the corner but they ain't the slugs they used to be.

10) Mason --- lose their whole backcourt (30 point guy Wright and Allen) but return a nice nucleus of Jenkins, Holloway, More and Copes. Still, the college game is a guard's game and Hewitt is weak there.

11) Bonaventure --- despite Brownindian's rise of the Bonnies proclamation, they lost Wright, Simmons and Kloof. Yeah, yeah Gathers returns as does Ndaye but I don't see that being much of anything in terms of title run. They will be competitive enough that going to Olean won't be a vacation, ever.

12) Duquesne --- HWho have thunbk "Losing Ovie Soko" would be such a strong statement? They are still a logn ways off but should improve some.

13) Davidson --- just don't know anything about them.

As you can see, no Saint Louis. Is that prophetic in regards to the A10? No .. I just don't have any kind of feel for us next year. Everyone will be new (and I include this year's freshmen due to such a small sample size from which to draw any conclusions) and those that we know about (Manning, Glaze and McBroom) aren't exactly real confidence builders. I happen to think that's great because it will be a new, fresh start and I for one need that given my complete draining down this last seven game stretch. But I wouldn't trade the ride at all.

Don't get me wrong -- they guys leaving us were collectively great and their whole was greater than their individual parts and will be the standard by which all future endeavors will be measured. But I am thankful to finally drop the on-going discussions of Evans --- three or four? Can Jett shoot? Can Jett make free throws? Is Loe tough enough (by the way, yes!)? Does Glaze have game? When does Manning cease being a project? Where did Mike McCall's offense go? Cardiac finishes. Baffling stretches of offensive ineptitude. Jake Barnett's minutes. Great discussion points all but I for one am so ready to move on and explore new story lines that next year can't come soon enough.

As for the lack of offense, I still don't get that because coming into this year, I thought with Loe, McCall, Barnett and McBroom, hopefulyl coupled to Crawford and Lancona, our outside shooting would be a team strength. Just goes to show how much the head can play into results.

Next year will be equal parts great, exasperating, confusing, fun and many other things fer shure. But I am so drained right now, I need a break.

Taj I would think that if (and that may be a big if) Shaka transfers out of VCU, the prospects for that team will become markedly diminished. Of course, he seems to love that place and may stay put despite whatever offers he receives.

I'd agree with you, but he is from Madison, WI. Marq has not been shy about paying their coaches well, so I'd expect a big offer. Should be interesting.

Taj I would think that if (and that may be a big if) Shaka transfers out of VCU, the prospects for that team will become markedly diminished. Of course, he seems to love that place and may stay put despite whatever offers he receives.

Don't know about that. They have sort of had a mini X like run when it comes to hiring coaches.

Thanks, Taj Mahal 79, that's what I wanted to see in this thread. I being to lazy to do the research on my own. Is it fair to say that VCU's the clear runaway choice, SVU will be decent and return to the dance, but the rest of the league is really up in the air as compared to this year where there were pretty clear cut favorites? If that's the case, then I'm guessing we could finish anywhere from 3rd to dead last.

@brian: what do you mean "a mini X like run when it comes to hiring coaches?" Did you mean promoting from within ala X? If so, Buzz Petersen replaced Tom Crean after only one year on the staff with Crean, 2007-08. Before that, he was the head coach at New Orleans for one year. Crean replaced Mike Deane, coming off Tom Izzo's bench at Michigan State with no head coaching experience to that date in his career. Deane was hired away from Siena to replace Kevin O'Neill, whpo was hired off Lute Olsen's bench at Arizona. Again, no head coaching experience of note to that point.

Meanwhile, Xavier hired Mack who assisted for Miller who assisted for Matta who assisted for Porsser who assisted for Gillen who assited under Staack.

No, I'd say Marquette and Xavier are complete opposites when it comes to caching hirings and it would be in Marquete's DNA to go out and overpay the latest media darling, namely ShakaKhan.

@brian: what do you mean "a mini X like run when it comes to hiring coaches?" Did you mean promoting from within ala X? If so, Buzz Petersen replaced Tom Crean after only one year on the staff with Crean, 2007-08. Before that, he was the head coach at New Orleans for one year. Crean replaced Mike Deane, coming off Tom Izzo's bench at Michigan State with no head coaching experience to that date in his career. Deane was hired away from Siena to replace Kevin O'Neill, whpo was hired off Lute Olsen's bench at Arizona. Again, no head coaching experience of note to that point.

Meanwhile, Xavier hired Mack who assisted for Miller who assisted for Matta who assisted for Porsser who assisted for Gillen who assited under Staack.

No, I'd say Marquette and Xavier are complete opposites when it comes to caching hirings and it would be in Marquete's DNA to go out and overpay the latest media darling, namely ShakaKhan.

I am referring to VCU's run in hiring three straight coaches that built upon the success of the previous coach. I am only talking about the success of the hires and not about where the hire came from. Someone in the VCU administration knows what they are doing when they hire a coach.

He was talking about VCU.

@larry72: I would say that every team has multiple holes to fill and would give the edge overall to Shaka based on his returning veterans coupled with his style of frenetic play and interchangable parts. Having said that, he had Antravious Simmons and Jarius Lyles on his bench and they never saw much in terms of court time this year and both were considered 3-star recruits. I could see either stepping in to fill the human void left by Reddic and Brandenburgs' departures. I could also see one or both transferring. You never know. (Simmons is listed on the VCU roster but does not appear in any stats. Maybe he redshirted, I don't know).

Shaka also has four guys under signed LOIs for next year in Jonathen Williams (3 star PG), Terry Larrier (4 star SF), Mike Gilmore ( 4 star PF) and Justin Tillman (3 star PF). Plus, if you believe Verbal Commits, he has five other open offers on the table to recruits. Right now, he's one over the 13 schollie limit per team counting these LOI and returning folks so someone has to go. Unless Simmons became that casualty. In any case, I doubt anybody goes into Siegel from the rest of this conference and wins next year. VCU WILL be ranked; I could see Top 10 or Top 15.

In an early look into the hazy crystal ball, I could see VCU and GeeDubya being considered as Dance locks in preseason rankings. I think Dayton will get that love bounce but replacing their three departing seniors will be no easy chore. Oliver was the senior glue of that outfit and I don't see anyone on their current roster being that next man up. Personally, I like Jalen Robinson's game but who knows. Pollard and Scott are just space occupiers right now. Kavanaugh was a basketball slug but he had that fifth year experience. I don't see that in Gavrilick and their freshman McIlvane, while 6'10", will still be a freshman. Sanford had the savvy of a fifth year player and the experience from old Georgetown days. Again, I don't see any candidates on their bench ready willing and able to step up right now. If Pierre and Siebert have spectacular years, that might be enough.

I don't know how to judge us so I didn't, which makes your anywhere from 3rd to last projection a most-certainly-probable-could-be-maybe lock. I can go with that!

I do believe it will be an exciting year as long as we watch to see how the lads develop. I am not prepared to cloud the horizon with expectations, or predictions or projections. What do they say on election night? Too close to call. I expect tremendous growing pains for next year. If we maybe gel come conference time, that would be great. i still think we'll be too young, however.

My bad then. Rumor mill has it that if Shaka does go, they will promote the guy from within .. Mike Rhoades ... in order to hopefulyl keep that continuity and keep those recruits in place to honro their LOIs.

Great work Taj...couple of things to add...you forgot to mention Rhodey's best returning player, sophomore-to-be EC Matthews. That kid is legit...Also, LaSalle will gain Auburn transfer Jordan Price, a 6'5'' shooter who averaged about 5ppg as a freshman there, and Southern University transfer, 6'5'' Cleon Roberts, who averaged 9 points and 3 rebounds as a freshman at Southern.

@Bizz -- I did mention Mathews .. only I called him Cummings. My bad! I believe I got the E.C. mixed in with the E.E. and traded Cummings for Mmathews.

Yeah, I don't know what the recruiting classes look like, freshmen or transfers, so I couldn't go there. I know La Salle and Gianinni are shaping up as a wonderful transfer destination, although I can't figure out why. But no matter, transfers are hit-or-miss to me and the same transfer can be one one year and the other the next, as in the case of Tyrone Garland. I know La Salle was very high on Khalid Lewis from Delaware this year but he was injured a bit and Garland didn't do as well as last year with Galloway. Galloway was better his senior year rather than his junior year and so was Earl Pettis who transferrd in from Rutgers the year before Galloway. That is sort of why I am uncertain as to just what Ash Yacoubou will bring to table after his year off.

I just don't see where an Aubrun transfer means much. Sure, it's a BCS school but one that's been pretty lowlying lately. And Southern does not play the same competition level so I'll ask to take Roberts' numbers with a grain of salt.

And so much for promoting Rhoades if Shaka leaves --- he took the HC job at Rice according to another thread.

@Bizz -- I did mention Mathews .. only I called him Cummings. My bad! I believe I got the E.C. mixed in with the E.E. and traded Cummings for Mmathews.

Yeah, I don't know what the recruiting classes look like, freshmen or transfers, so I couldn't go there. I know La Salle and Gianinni are shaping up as a wonderful transfer destination, although I can't figure out why. But no matter, transfers are hit-or-miss to me and the same transfer can be one one year and the other the next, as in the case of Tyrone Garland. I know La Salle was very high on Khalid Lewis from Delaware this year but he was injured a bit and Garland didn't do as well as last year with Galloway. Galloway was better his senior year rather than his junior year and so was Earl Pettis who transferrd in from Rutgers the year before Galloway. That is sort of why I am uncertain as to just what Ash Yacoubou will bring to table after his year off.

I just don't see where an Aubrun transfer means much. Sure, it's a BCS school but one that's been pretty lowlying lately. And Southern does not play the same competition level so I'll ask to take Roberts' numbers with a grain of salt.

And so much for promoting Rhoades if Shaka leaves --- he took the HC job at Rice according to another thread.

i mix

up names all of

the time,

no biggie

Agreed on the transfers...if they aren't as productive as billed, LaSalle could be in for a world of pain next season. At least Ash has already demonstrated that he can play defense and shoot a little, the former being something not held in high esteem at LaSalle.

Still have one scholarship to fill. If SLU can get a stud JC or prep school kid, I like our chances to be pretty good. I really think we need a ready to start player to come in with that last scholarship. Come on coaching staff, do it!

- Manning has been coming on strong. I think he suprises a lot of folks next year. Glaze has got to have a Conklin summer.

- AY and AM will be a solid, experienced back-court duo.

- TL, MC and RA look promising. I know none of them played very much this year, but with a year in the system, they could make major strides. All three have the incentive of very substantial playing time.

- Our five frosh probably is the highest rated group coming since the Hughes class. One of the bigs and at least one of the guards need to be ready to play a lot.

If we have a chance at landing a stud JC, then I am not sure where they will come from or they will have to be an under the radar player. When I have looked into the top 50 JUCO prospects, most of them have already committed and the ones that haven't don't have SLU on their radar. I guess I need to look deeper into the 2014 recruiting thread, but I am not sure we are even recruiting any.