DE any thoughts?

slu72

Tanner Lancona is the answer? I don't think so. Everybody is banged and bruised right now. What would have been nice would have been beating Duquesne, wrapping up the #1 seeds,and making these last three games somewhat meaningless so you could give guys rest and put those freshmen in real live battles in some of the hottest locales on the circuit. But nope ......... now we have to shoot for a real contest Wednesday night against a wounded beast fighting for it's NCAA life.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit that I didn't read this entire thread, so sorry if this has already been brought up.

Has anyone else noticed that DE can't shoot a jump shot?

I swear in the past 3-5 games he'll take about 4 shots around the free throw line extended and brick them. The kicker is that the opposing D plays off him. I know you have to "keep the D honest" etc, but it's not like taking these shots has allowed him to take his defender off the dribble later in the game.

I think that we (and DE) are just a bit bruised / tired from a long season. Not uncommon for teams to get in a mini funk. I think we just need to come out with more energy, finish strong, and stay healthy. Going undefeated in the A-10 is not as important for the program as reaching the Sweet 16.

Tanner Lancona is the answer? I don't think so. Everybody is banged and bruised right now. What would have been nice would have been beating Duquesne, wrapping up the #1 seeds,and making these last three games somewhat meaningless so you could give guys rest and put those freshmen in real live battles in some of the hottest locales on the circuit. But nope ......... now we have to shoot for a real contest Wednesday night against a wounded beast fighting for it's NCAA life.

-Taj, do you think if we had beaten Duq our rotation/subs/playing times would have been adjusted? I see that as outside JC's m.o.

I'd like to see either Lancona or a twin tower setup. My preference is for Lancona at this point because I think he will turn out to be a better percentage three point shooter than Loe. Whoever said Evans at the 3 and Glaze at the 4 didn't work during the Duquesne game is exactly right. That's clearly not the answer; using either Loe or Lancona as an outside threat at the 4 might be.

I'd like to see either Lancona or a twin tower setup. My preference is for Lancona at this point because I think he will turn out to be a better percentage three point shooter than Loe. Whoever said Evans at the 3 and Glaze at the 4 didn't work during the Duquesne game is exactly right. That's clearly not the answer; using either Loe or Lancona as an outside threat at the 4 might be.

+1.

How about twin towers with Loe and Lancona? Stretch defenses like nobody's ever seen before. Both can rebound and defend in the paint and offensively teams wouldn't know what to do.

Jett, McCall, Evans, Loe, Lancona. Problem solved.

+1.

How about twin towers with Loe and Lancona? Stretch defenses like nobody's ever seen before. Both can rebound and defend in the paint and offensively teams wouldn't know what to do.

Jett, McCall, Evans, Loe, Lancona. Problem solved.

So you would be okay with Lancona guarding a guy like Kevin Larsen from GW or Putney from UMass? Or even Ronald Roberts or Kanecevic from St. Joes? There are two sides of the floor. There is a reason TL hasn't been getting to play. He can't keep up. (Yet)

When lancona is a senior we definitely will have a stretch offense unlike any other, with Gillman and Jolly swapping out at the 5. But right now, I don't think lancona is defensively sound enough

So you would be okay with Lancona guarding a guy like Kevin Larsen from GW or Putney from UMass? There are two sides of the floor. There is a reason TL hasn't been getting to play. He can't keep up. (Yet)

I'd be alright with it. We should at least give it a try. And I would play him at the 4 and Loe at the 5. Not for long periods of time, but leave 'em in together for a couple minutes to get some offensive runs, then throw Manning or Glaze back into the mix.

So you would be okay with Lancona guarding a guy like Kevin Larsen from GW or Putney from UMass? Or even Ronald Roberts or Kanecevic from St. Joes? There are two sides of the floor. There is a reason TL hasn't been getting to play. He can't keep up. (Yet)

I agree with this but in your honest opinion, can Grandy keep up? Evans can't play 40 minutes a game. Especially not at the 4. I'd like to see Grandy's minutes go to Agbeko and or Lancona. Grandy has done well in spurts this season but I think either of the freshmen could do the same.

I agree with this but in your honest opinion, can Grandy keep up? Evans can't play 40 minutes a game. Especially not at the 4. I'd like to see Grandy's minutes go to Agbeko and or Lancona. Grandy has done well in spurts this season but I think either of the freshmen could do the same.

Yeah, he can keep up great... when we're playing the likes of SIUE and Rockhurst. He has a lot of developing to do... And is Agbeko even an option right now? Have we heard more about the mysterious injury?

Majerus never meant for DE to be a 4. He was very clear about the role he wanted for Dwayne and how important it was to keep him there.

But Glaze hasn't developed and we don't have a 4. During OOC play in was saying I hope we see Lancona getting Glaze/Barnetts minutes, especially against bigger teams. But I think coach is set in his way at this point.

Yeah, he can keep up great... when we're playing the likes of SIUE and Rockhurst. He has a lot of developing to do... And is Agbeko even an option right now? Have we heard more about the mysterious injury?

Shoulder sprain is your mystery injury and he is definitely an option once cleared. Might see him on Wednesday.

"Once cleared" is saying it hasn't happened yet...

The blatantly obvious mixed with snarkiness that's not nearly as clever as you seem to think it is...do you ever post anything else? I know I have complained about him on here in the past, but I'm beginning to think you might actually be Tim McCarver himself.

The blatantly obvious mixed with snarkiness that's not nearly as clever as you seem to think it is...do you ever post anything else? I know I have complained about him on here in the past, but I'm beginning to think you might actually be Tim McCarver himself.

No i actually don't post anything else. I actually only do this to abas because I know him really well and it gets under his skin. In the other thread, you couldn't grasp a concept that has been talked on here for a loooong time.

+1000

Suck it, Littlebill.

today the Post has a quote from DE saying he has practiced fully on Monday and Tuesday and is good to go - not sure what is actually the truth.

DE is a huge concern; maybe he will be fine, but...

He clearly has not been 100% of late, his hip was exposed @ VCU as an injury, essentially he was not contributing close to his usual levels, I wonder if that has been what has been bothering him or was that something new?

We cannot be successful without a healthy DE.

We have two go-to scorers, DE & JJ. Then the next tier is MM & RL. We are not deep enough to have DE < 100%. VCU saw this and harassed JJ.

With all the of issues that are being micro analyzed on this board ad nausea, why isn't this being looked at? Has anybody gained some credible info on this matter?