Top 20 This Week

DD3

Here are the results this week (as of Sunday morning):

1) Syracuse -- Lost to Boston College (unranked) and lost to #5 Duke

2) Florida -- Beat Auburn and beat Mississippi

3) Wichita St. -- Beat Loyola-IL and beat Drake

4) Arizona -- Beat Utah and beat Colorado

5) Duke -- Beat Georgia Tech, Lost at North Carolina (unranked) and beat #1 Syracuse

6) San Diego St. -- Beat Utah State and lost at New Mexico (unranked)

7) Cincy -- Beat Central Florida and lost to #11 Louisville

8) Kansas -- Beat Texas Tech and beat #19 Texas

9) Villanova -- Beat Providence and Beat St. John's

10) SLU -- Beat George Mason and beat George Washington (Patriot Killers)

11) Louisville -- Beat South Florida and beat #7 Cincy

12) Creighton -- Beat Marquette and plays Seton Hall later today

13) Michigan St. -- Beat Purdue and playing #20 Michigan today

14) Virginia -- Beat Virginia Tech and beat Notre Dame

15) Iowa -- Lost to #16 Wisconsin and Indiana game was postponed

16) Wisconsin -- Beat #15 Iowa

17) Iowa St. -- Beat #19 Texas and beat TCU

18) Kentucky -- Beat Mississippi and beat LSU

19) Texas -- Lost to #17 Iowa St. and lost to #8 KU

20) Michigan -- playing Michigan St. today

Some other results of note:

• Stanford beat UCLA
  • North Carolina had two nice wins against Duke and Wake Forest
  • Mizzou lost to Alabama
  • A-10 (behind SLU) has become very interesting as St. Joseph's (9-3), VCU (8-4), UMass (8-4), Richmond (8-4) and GW (8-5) are all fighting for second place.

<p>

5) Duke -- Beat Georgia Tech, Lost at North Carolina (unranked) and beat #1 Syracuse

• Stanford beat UCLA
  • Mizzou lost to Alabama
  • A-10 (behind SLU) has become very interesting as St. Joseph's (9-3), VCU (8-4), UMass (8-4), Richmond (8-4) and GW (8-5) are all fighting for second place.

This stuff is so unpredictable but I would think we would stay at 10 and may actually drop a spot. Louisville winning at Cincinnati is impressive. I think that moves Louisville ahead of us but may not drop Cincinnati behind us. I could see us passing Sd State which would keep us at 10. That's if Cincinnati doesn't fall behind us. We also have to watch for Creighton leapfrogging us.

• Stanford beat UCLA
  • Mizzou lost to Alabama

I think 10 might still be the best SLU could hope for tomorrow.

This stuff is so unpredictable but I would think we would stay at 10 and may actually drop a spot. Louisville winning at Cincinnati is impressive. I think that moves Louisville ahead of us but may not drop Cincinnati behind us. I could see us passing Sd State which would keep us at 10. That's if Cincinnati doesn't fall behind us. We also have to watch for Creighton leapfrogging us.

Agree. Hard to predict, especially once you get to the Top 10 where there's not much room to move. My guess is that Cincy and SDSU fall to #10 or below. Obviously Syracuse will drop, though not below SLU. I can see Louisville moving up a few spots, but my guess is that SLU still gets to #9 or #8.

Creighton plays later today. At the half, Michigan State has a 2-point lead over Michigan in Ann Arbor.

With some top 25 teams facing off this week, it's hard to figure we're we end up. The best thing we got going for us, besides our 2 Ws, is SDS losing to unranked NM. I can see them falling out of the top 10. So even w/ a leap by UL we should still hold # 10. How much credit either UM or MSU get for being the winner, one will move up but don 't think they leap us. Creighton's 2 Ws won't get them much. Safe bet is we stay planted at 10.

Think i read somewhere that was Coach K's second win vs AP #1. Found that hard to believe.

That is hard to believe but I guess they aren't counting when Duke beat themselves :D

The interesting number would be how many times they've actually played the #1.

Providence and St. John's are both good teams, but given that we were only one point behind Villanova last week it seems possible we could jump them. Maybe us cracking the top 10 will encourage the voters who keep voting for us way down to be a little more generous after another 2-0 week.

It is cool being in the Top 10 AP & USA, 10 is a magic number, a milestone, it is so attractive for fans and recruits.

But I anticipate that we will lose a game or two in the last three regular season games when we have the conference clinched and our opponents need a win for seeding, etc. Then we will slip to 15-20, who knows.

Vegas has us ranked 29th right now, depending on the power rankings you look at, because we have no BIG wins. How would we do in the Big 10? Big 12? Nobody knows, our early losses to top notch teams were close but mean less since it was early, we were still jelling having lost key starters KM and CE (I know we had GG start but CE played the real minutes).

So we might be better than we think or not as good as we think... certainly being # 10 is an honor but it is uncertain where we really belong. Same issues as Wichita State, though Wichita State's Final Four appearance last year gives them a lot of credibility. Same issues as SD State who got pounded last night.

What matters is staying healthy, winning as many as possible in the final 4 league games and then getting to The A-10 Tourney Final; not winning that isn't too bad for us. We'd sure like to win it but it is not critical.

Being seeded 4-5-6-7, whatever in the NCAA's is not so critical, the luck of the draw, you might play a tougher two teams at 4 than at 6, though the odds favor you at a lower seed. And where you play matters, we got hosed last year.

The whole thing is The NCAA's, the Big Dance: winning TWO goddam games and making it to The Sweet 16. That is the whole thing. Get greedy and you want more, fine.

I want to beat some Big 10 - Big 12 - ACC - BE and / or Pac 12 teams and get to the Sweet 16.

So we might be better than we think or not as good as we think...

Being seeded 4-5-6-7, whatever in the NCAA's is not so critical, the luck of the draw, you might play a tougher two teams at 4 than at 6, though the odds favor you at a lower seed.

Illuminating all around.

So we might be better than we think or not as good as we think... certainly being # 10 is an honor but it is uncertain where we really belong. Same issues as Wichita State, though Wichita State's Final Four appearance last year gives them a lot of credibility. Same issues as SD State who got pounded last night.

So it's 50/50?

So it's 50/50?

Great sense of humor.

Well we lost early to two top notch teams, but we were figuring out our lineup combinations, hadn't jelled, the early games do not mean as much. Maybe we'd beat them, now.

By the same token, we really do not have any big wins, we are in a mid major conference, I know some will say the 2 point win vs. VCU was big but they are not in the AP or USA Top 25. A lot of teams ranked 11-20 like Louisville, IA, Creighton, IA St, Ky, VA, Michigan, etc. have several wins over ranked power conference teams though they have lost more than we have.

So it is hard to really know playing a weak SOS.

("50/50" = lame, old bit)

Great sense of humor.

Well we lost early to two top notch teams, but we were figuring out our lineup combinations, hadn't jelled, the early games do not mean as much. Maybe we'd beat them, now.

By the same token, we really do not have any big wins, we are in a mid major conference, I know some will say the 2 point win vs. VCU was big but they are not in the AP or USA Top 25. A lot of teams ranked 11-20 like Louisville, IA, Creighton, IA St, Ky, VA, Michigan, etc. have several wins over ranked power conference teams though they have lost more than we have.

So it is hard to really know playing a weak SOS.

("50/50" = lame, old bit)

You are always so helpful in clearing things up. Being top 10 is not adequate in evaluating where we stand, but outside the top 25 automatically negates the win over VCU. I think I got it

MB actually has a pretty good point. We know we are good, but just not how good. The two best teams we played against we lost to and neither was a road game.

Personally, I think the polls have us a bit overrated based on how we have looked on the court. I think this team has a really high ceiling. That said, we haven't shown it on the court yet. For all the winning we have done, we have not put together an outstanding 40 minutes together at both ends of the court.

MB actually has a pretty good point. We know we are good, but just not how good. The two best teams we played against we lost to and neither was a road game.

Personally, I think the polls have us a bit overrated based on how we have looked on the court. I think this team has a really high ceiling. That said, we haven't shown it on the court yet. For all the winning we have done, we have not put together an outstanding 40 minutes together at both ends of the court.

Exactly.

Every year a mid major or two cracks the Top 10 and you just do not know how good they are.

Some go into the NCAA's and get to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, last year of course Wichita State went to Final Four and actually had Louisville beat but got some bad calls the last 2 minutes.

So it is hard to tell... we might play some super athletic power conference team but out play them with discipline, "D", no mistakes, let them run around and be athletic 4* and 5*'s while we win. I'd love to play Kentucky, for example; we might take them apart. Memphis was pretty close to being in that class when we sliced them up.

Like in baseball, a guy hits .300 at AAA... will he just keep hitting .300 in the big leagues, or not? (Wong TBD) Some do, many do not.

Exactly.

Every year a mid major or two cracks the Top 10 and you just do not know how good they are.

Some go into the NCAA's and get to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, last year of course Wichita State went to Final Four and actually had Louisville beat but got some bad calls the last 2 minutes.

So it is hard to tell... we might play some super athletic power conference team but out play them with discipline, "D", no mistakes, let them run around and be athletic 4* and 5*'s while we win. I'd love to play Kentucky, for example; we might take them apart. Memphis was pretty close to being in that class when we sliced them up.

Like in baseball, a guy hits .300 at AAA... will he just keep hitting .300 in the big leagues, or not? (Wong TBD) Some do, many do not.

The tourney doesn't tell us anything about how good a team is or who the best team in the country is. It is entertaining, but a single elimination tournament is a horrible way to learn who the best is. The whole draw of the tournament is the upsets. No one would say that FGCU was a top 16 team last year, would they? So why do we need to see how the tourney goes in order to judge this team? I understand that teams to get judged based on the post season, but it's not really logical.