Mason from Section 105, Row P, Seat 3 ....

Taj79

Could the issue w/ RA be he's just not that BB savvy yet? If I recall correctly, he's only been playing for 5 to 6 years. He just might not be that skilled in the fundamentals to make the staff comfortable with him. He's shown us flashes, but not a big enough body of work to judge. Frustrating for us fans because he's got the body and athleticism we've been begging for all these years. And now that we've got one, he's not playing. In JC we must trust.

Perhaps an insider can confirm but I've heard from a staffer that that JC and his coaches are VERY high on Reggie for the future.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RA has only been playing organized ball since 2010. He has had alot to learn coming in the SLU game but is getting a crash course in that everyday, learned from seasoned seniors, has a front row seat, and has made vast improvements. He has the size, athleticism, and skills to be a dominant player for SLU next year. I think that the basketball culture at SLU is very good and JC seems to have alot of confidence in what he brings to the table.

Some of us know how exceptional RA was in HS and Prep but if he can absorb all SLU's O & D schemes, he will be a good one for us. Then again we do not know what the season holds but there is still more ball to play. After watching TL last night I think RA may be playing sooner than later. Plus I am certain he would have been more dominant against GM's frontline or at least punished that dribble drive on the weak side that eluded TL all game long. I trust JC and it looks like he is still testing his personnel option going into the tournament. We will need all the frosh especially TL and RA to mix it up in there and gain valuable game experience. It will be their team in the coming years...no more MM, JJ, DE, JB, or RL. That is hard to imagine! I am almost scared saying that.

From what I have seen this season I have been more impressed with Agbeko's play than I have been with Tanner's. That said, I'm sure if Reggie isn't getting in it is because he has not picked up the offense. Truth is, we won't know what we have in either of them until this time next year.

From what I have seen this season I have been more impressed with Agbeko's play than I have been with Tanner's. That said, I'm sure if Reggie isn't getting in it is because he has not picked up the offense. Truth is, we won't know what we have in either of them until this time next year.

-last night viewing on tv I several times implored TL to move on offense, if he was on one side of the floor he seemed to stay there, not our offense

-that said, glad he got minutes

-looking at the recent ft% I hope our team is not wearing out (not trying to be over-dramatic)

-last night viewing on tv I several times implored TL to move on offense, if he was on one side of the floor he seemed to stay there, not our offense

-looking at the recent ft% I hope our team is not wearing out (not trying to be over-dramatic)

+1; hope heavy minutes for the core group all season isn't the reason for shaky free throw % of late.

+1; hope heavy minutes for the core group all season isn't the reason for shaky free throw % of late.

I'm concerned about that too. I hope on Saturday at home we can get out to a lead and play more of the normal rotation and give everyone a bit of a breather. We shall see I guess.

You are definitely seeing a bit of fatigue beginning to creep in but the obvious fact is that we need a longer bench to help the seniors. That rotation should include all the frosh specifically the bigs who will provide a needed break for DE and RL. MC needs to be utilized as well but with each of the frosh we can see where they need to improve.

For MC I see he is heady and can definitely shoot the rock. Problem is he can get bothered very easily by faster defenders. TL is a willing shooter and plays big but cannot defend anyone in man to man sets. As for RA he definitely has that BCS body and athleticism. Can score in the post and has a handle that can get him anywhere he wants to get to. Issue with him is that you can see he is definitely doing alot of thinking on O and on D. Seems to be behind in the sets so defensively and offensively he needs work. Time will tell but we will need them to contribute just to stretch the bench out. We can certainly afford it now since we must use them or suffer the consequences IMHO.

Offense? Try Defense.

One thing I forgot to mention about last night is there was a point in the first haf where the trainer was desperately searching for some sort of balm or something to rub on Jordair. The team gathered around him so I couldn't see what the affected part was. I thought thye were also blockign the view of the Mason bench and that it might be either a thigh or around the right hip area. As the game played out, it never resurfaced but it was in the first half so maybe something was also done in the lockerroom. I meant to mention that in defense of Jordair having an "off" first half.

Don't know if anyone saw anythign on TV. I'll watch my rebroadcast tomorrow.

You are definitely seeing a bit of fatigue beginning to creep in but the obvious fact is that we need a longer bench to help the seniors.

I was thinking that Rob Loe should run a half mary before every game so that he can settle down and shoot threes in the first and second halves as well as overtime.......

You are definitely seeing a bit of fatigue beginning to creep in but the obvious fact is that we need a longer bench to help the seniors. That rotation should include all the frosh specifically the bigs who will provide a needed break for DE and RL. MC needs to be utilized as well but with each of the frosh we can see where they need to improve.

For MC I see he is heady and can definitely shoot the rock. Problem is he can get bothered very easily by faster defenders. TL is a willing shooter and plays big but cannot defend anyone in man to man sets. As for RA he definitely has that BCS body and athleticism. Can score in the post and has a handle that can get him anywhere he wants to get to. Issue with him is that you can see he is definitely doing alot of thinking on O and on D. Seems to be behind in the sets so defensively and offensively he needs work. Time will tell but we will need them to contribute just to stretch the bench out. We can certainly afford it now since we must use them or suffer the consequences IMHO.

This is why I would rather lose the first game of the A10 tourney and let our younger players play more in that game. The tourney means nothing to us or to our seeding if we win out during conference play. I do think Crews is not playing AM enough.

This is why I would rather lose the first game of the A10 tourney and let our younger players play more in that game. The tourney means nothing to us or to our seeding if we win out during conference play. I do think Crews is not playing AM enough.

McBroom has not looked like himself in the last few games. Wonder if its him having to adjust to defenses trying to force him to put the ball on the deck and not giving him clean catch and shoot?

I am fascinated by the folks on this board who are always trying to change the lineup and the substitutions patterns. We have a terrific head coach and some very heady and smart assistant coaches who work with and see these kids every day. They analyze every minute detail and they know every strength and weakness of every player. The fact is that defensive ability and understanding of our defensive strategy and rotations are often paramount in the decisions by the coaches. They know who can defend on an individual and team basis and who cannot. Our frosh are getting better but they are light years away from the seniors in terms of understanding the defensive schemes. Reggie is well liked by the staff and they think he is getting better and has excellent potential for the future but he is not yet ready for prime time on the defensive end of things. Tanner is a little better but he has some of the same issues but also has nice potential. MC needs to get stronger but he has a chance to be a really good player once he understands the defense as well as Jake and can play against stronger guys. Austin is still a work in progress on the defensive end and he just needs to settle down. He is not shooting as well or as under control as earlier in the season and he is missing free throws which is something I thought I would never say. Bottom line is that this is a senior led team with a 24-2 record--amazing!!! This is like the old days where the frosh wait their turn while learning from senior teammates. Next year should be exciting to watch as all of the youngsters join us. Those three guards are good enough to push for time on the court, particularly if they can pick up the defense. I think Roby is the most ready to defend in this league but the other two are very smart so the practices should be very interesting.

McBroom has not looked like himself in the last few games. Wonder if its him having to adjust to defenses trying to force him to put the ball on the deck and not giving him clean catch and shoot?

Crews has stated a few times this year that McBroom is the strongest shooter on the team after picking up the dribble. I'd be curious if someone with more experience in analyzing our offensive sets has a reason for his decline in productivity but I don't think that the catch and shoot is necessarily his style.

McBroom was just about our only guard adept at doing the jab-step-step back shot or shooting a three of the dribble at all.

I have been watching college basketball for quite awhile and I cannot remember a time where a team tanked a game for any reason. Maybe I am misremembering. Are you sure the tourney means nothing to us (presumably "us" = the players)? The players seemed pretty excited when they got to cut down the nets last year. I do not think Jim Crews is going to tell the senior class with the most wins in school history that he is going to sit them so they can lose and get more rest for the NCAA tournament.

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't make sense to me. You would rather lose just so our younger guys can get experience? You know what experience I want for our freshmen? Cutting down the net. Winning is addictive. They'll never forget that feeling (even if they didn't do a whole lot to contribute to it happening) and they'll work as hard as they can to have that feeling again.

I have been watching college basketball for quite awhile and I cannot remember a time where a team tanked a game for any reason. Maybe I am misremembering. Are you sure the tourney means nothing to us (presumably "us" = the players)? The players seemed pretty excited when they got to cut down the nets last year. I do not think Jim Crews is going to tell the senior class with the most wins in school history that he is going to sit them so they can lose and get more rest for the NCAA tournament.

In my opinion it has no meaningful impact on our seed. I did not say tank the game - perhaps our younger players could play at a high level and our seniors would only need to support. I understand your point but mine is we can bite our nose off to spite ourselves. I really would just lose quickly and head back to StL to rest up and heal up..

That's why their FR and study film . Unless his IQ is lower than a snakes belly, he'll get it. One thing I read was that JC and staff kept the FR after practice and work with them. That's cool and I hope they appreciate it. Most HS kids who get a schollie were the big deals in HS or AAU ball, but it's a big leap to D1. Ask Calamaris fab 7 or 8 just how big.

In my opinion it has no meaningful impact on our seed. I did not say tank the game - perhaps our younger players could play at a high level and our seniors would only need to support. I understand your point but mine is we can bite our nose off to spite ourselves. I really would just lose quickly and head back to StL to rest up and heal up..

I don't agree. I think a quick loss could cost you 1 seed spot. I still believe winning out could get you a 2 .

speak for yourself. i came to the realization last night that i am nowhere near emotionally ready for this winning streak to end, ever

I don't see what goes on in practice but based on what I've seen this season, I'd be fine if DE didn't take another mid range jumper the rest of the season. Well he can take the shot, but lately he has been putting it up 8 seconds into the shot clock. I'm fine with that shot with 5 seconds left on the shot clock but I have confidence that more times than not, we can get a much better shot than that.

I can't defend what the sport has become because of the 3 pointer but it is our reality. If you can't lay it up or dunk it I'd rather go for 3 pointer than anything inside circle and not within arm's reach especially 8 seconds into the shot clock. slightly sarcastic of course but basically gimmes or tres. plus one btw