Bills by 3 over VCU

The Wiz

A big game fotr a lot of reasons. ..

1.....2 best teams in A-10 playing for the conf title on national tv. A win by SLU will pretty much give it to us....a loss keeps it going.

2...A chance to move into the AP Top 10....additional PR

3...A chance to set the all time Billiken consecutive win total....we are currently tied at 16 with the 1947-48 into 1948-49 teams. I remember starting to track this back in Dec when I posted the 10 Bills teams that were ahead of us. I knew then we had a chance to set the record. Everytime we knocked offf an earlier Bills team, I moved us up the ladder...It is pretty amazing to realize that the Bills are currently tied for the longest win streak in their 100 year history.

4...PR....Have you lamented the lack of local coverage ...they and everyone else will be paying attention to this game...a win by the Bills will keep their focus.

OK ...onto the game....

What we need to do to win.......

This will be pretty simple....PROTECT THE BALL

VCU leads the nation in steals at nearly 12 /game

They are a slightly above ave 3pt team...we need to hold them to 25% ...with no more than 15 att and 5 made. They went crazy against GW at 52% from the arc...that will not happen here.

Reddic...hold him to single digit scoring

Johnson and Burgess are their 3pt shooters....hold them to under 30%

We need to keep making foul shots...this has been one of the most overlooked stats....People always talk about our D....well in the last 3 games we are one of the top shooting FT in the nation with a staggering 89% (upper 70's is great)....and we have taken a lot of foul shots during those games.

And finally ....PROTECT THE BALL

We always win when....

11-0.... opp shoots 25% or less from 3

11-0..... opp has 11 or less FTM

9-0........we have 25 or more FGM

7-0........our FG% is 47.2 or higher

13-1......Evans scores 14pts (this stat is legal because it is higher than our winning %)

9-0........Jett plays 34 min... btw he also has 9 straight double digit games

5-0........When Loe has 9 or more Reb

And finally from the General....

Victory favors the team that makes the fewest mistakes

....................Bobby Knight

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Graham is more of a three point threat than Burgess. Burgess may have a better percentage, but Graham has launched almost 3 times as many as Burgess and plays almost a quarter more of time per game.

I think Graham is more of a three point threat than Burgess. Burgess may have a better percentage, but Graham has launched almost 3 times as many as Burgess and plays almost a quarter more of time per game.

Burgess is a better shooter than Graham from 3. If VCU needed a 3 at the end of the game, Burgess would have a better shot at making it. Graham is a below average 3pt shooter....coming up against our D, would push him down even more.

Speaking of the Wiz's spreads in general, I do recall him saying the Syr-Pitt game would be a bit of a test for the AP-Wiz systems...

It was....It showed Pitt and Syr about equal....it means I either need to move Syr up or Pitt down....since I think Pitt is about right I will be moving Syr up . I have Syr at 12 now....still a gap between me and the AP but closing.....btw it looks like my lower ranking of SDSU was correct with the Wy fiasco.

Wiz - I'm a little confused. You said we need to hold them to 25% from 3, with no more than 15 attempts and 5 makes. What am I missing here?

25 % is the important number....the other numbers 5 and 15 are maximums....so if they take 15...they can only make 3......if they take 20 shots they can only make 5....plus any other combos that hold to at least 2 of 3 parameters... if the take only 8 I only want them to make 2....25% is the focus number

It was....It showed Pitt and Syr about equal....it means I either need to move Syr up or Pitt down....since I think Pitt is about right I will be moving Syr up . I have Syr at 12 now....still a gap between me and the AP but closing.....btw it looks like my lower ranking of SDSU was correct with the Wy fiasco.

Winning at the Pete shows Cuse is better than equal to Pitt. Pitt is one of the hardest places for top teams to win. Huge home court advantage for Pitt. Huge win for Cuse. It might be the best resume win for any team in the country.

I agree about Jett's turnovers.

Jett's assist to turnover ratio:

2013 - 14 (Conference Only): 1.13

2013 - 14 (Full Season): 1.77

2012 - 13: .933

2011 - 12: 1.54

2010 - 11: .974

I am not trying to knock Jordairr too much - because he has been awesome, but sometimes watching him this year reminds me of my memories of him as a Freshman when he was assured one bad turnover a game. And i am not sure how much to read into the greatly decreased assist to turnover ratio once conference play started this year (and he has taken a bigger role in the offense).

VCU will prey on those turnovers and that is their best shot at winning. I largely see this game for VCU as what at Butler was for us last year.

25 % is the important number....the other numbers 5 and 15 are maximums....so if the take 15...they can only make 3......if they take 20 shots they can only make 5....plus any other combos that hold to at least 2 of 3 parameters... if the take only 8 I only want them to make 2....25% is the focus number

Thanks. I figured it was something like that but I wasn't sure

Agree about Jordair, McBroom, and Rob

Jordair has been unbelievable, but he's had some bad turnovers lately. Those turn into points when you play VCU. I still want him playing aggressive though.

McBroom has been a lot better lately but he needs to stay under control in this game. I'm not saying break the press and then just stop. Go to the basket if it's open. But don't break it full speed and then jack a 3 like GW did. And don't break it and then just stand there and get trapped. That goes for all the guards obviously.

Rob needs to be able to handle the ball. Honestly, I probably have more faith in him over Grandy, Manning, Dwayne, or Jake. Over Grandy and Manning because I don't want them handling the ball ever. And over Jake or Dwayne because they will have a better defender on them than Rob.

Really need Rob and the 3 guards to stay out of foul trouble in this one. Losing ball handlers against VCU is a huge deal as seen by GW already being down a guard last night and then getting McDonald in foul trouble.

As many on here have said. Play great defense. Don't let VCU score. Then they don't set up the press. Take care of the ball, but don't be too cautious.

SLU by 11

I don't see how it definitely shows they're equal. Does that mean that SLU and La Salle or SLU and Valpo are equal?

I don't see how it definitely shows they're equal. Does that mean that SLU and La Salle or SLU and Valpo are equal?

Of course SLU and LaS are not equal ...a close game by itself doesn't mean teams are equal. If the rankings are close it generally means the games will be close as in this case. It is highly unusual for a team to move up 5 spots after beating a similar opp by just 1....but taking the whole body of work together ....second win over Pitt....beating them at Pitt...Pitt being a top 25 team ...those all factored in to the boost....I still have a gap with AP but last night was a significant win for Cuse.

Burgess is a better shooter than Graham from 3. If VCU needed a 3 at the end of the game, Burgess would have a better shot at making it. Graham is a below average 3pt shooter....coming up against our D, would push him down even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfA1LPEYMOk

VCU fan here (obviously). This is clearly a tough matchup for us (as demonstrated by our last two games)...we've just had a real hard time being consistent on offense and as it's been mentioned on this forum, defending in the halfcourt (which has to be refreshing to a SLU team that hasn't had the easiest time putting the ball in the basket). I'm worried about Jett in particular getting into the lane, although I will say the Rams have done a good job at stopping key guys this year...it's usually the third-leading scorer types that end up having career highs against us. Problem is that becomes real difficult when you're playing a lineup that consists of not only Jett, Evans, McCall Jr and Loe.

I will say this as a major positive for VCU: VCU's system is brilliant, thus making their ceiling I think a good bit higher than what we're seeing from the Rams so far. The Rams are 20-5 with a +10.5 scoring margin despite being one of the worst shooting teams in the land (232nd in effective field goal %), and one that surrenders 49.9% shooting inside the arc to opponents (220th nationally). I think that 2p% is always going to be inflated because the system does surrender some occasional easy baskets, but the offense is what still has time to improve (especially with the scorers VCU has), and IF it does, VCU honestly becomes a scary good team. Just last season virtually the same group was ranked 69th in EFG%, so once some of the insane amount of layups we miss start to fall (or free throws, which we rank 249th in), the Rams could be deadly. I say that not as a VCU fan but as a fan of the numbers.

Anyway, I expect we'll be the underdog in this one and for good reason, but looking forward to a good game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfA1LPEYMOk

VCU fan here (obviously). This is clearly a tough matchup for us (as demonstrated by our last two games)...we've just had a real hard time being consistent on offense and as it's been mentioned on this forum, defending in the halfcourt (which has to be refreshing to a SLU team that hasn't had the easiest time putting the ball in the basket). I'm worried about Jett in particular getting into the lane, although I will say the Rams have done a good job at stopping key guys this year...it's usually the third-leading scorer types that end up having career highs against us. Problem is that becomes real difficult when you're playing a lineup that consists of not only Jett, Evans, McCall Jr and Loe.

I will say this as a major positive for VCU: VCU's system is brilliant, thus making their ceiling I think a good bit higher than what we're seeing from the Rams so far. The Rams are 20-5 with a +10.5 scoring margin despite being one of the worst shooting teams in the land (232nd in effective field goal %), and one that surrenders 49.9% shooting inside the arc to opponents (220th nationally). I think that 2p% is always going to be inflated because the system does surrender some occasional easy baskets, but the offense is what still has time to improve (especially with the scorers VCU has), and IF it does, VCU honestly becomes a scary good team. Just last season virtually the same group was ranked 69th in EFG%, so once some of the insane amount of layups we miss start to fall (or free throws, which we rank 249th in), the Rams could be deadly. I say that not as a VCU fan but as a fan of the numbers.

Anyway, I expect we'll be the underdog in this one and for good reason, but looking forward to a good game.

Thanks for the post and providing a VCU perspective.

I am not too worried about the bad turnovers. Our guards didn't exactly have good assist to turnover ratios against VCU in either game last year. Between the two games Kwamain had four assists and seven turnovers.

8 turnovers as a team in the first game. I'd say that's pretty good