Conference Title Race

For-DaLove

Tonight had large implications on the regular season conference title. George Mason just took down UMass, 91-80. VCU destroys George Washington, 92-75. So, right now the standings at the top of the conference look like this:

1.) SLU, 9-0

2.) VCU, 8-2

3.) George Washington, 7-3

4.) Saint Joseph's, 6-3

5.) Richmond, 6-3

6.) Umass, 6-4

Obviously a win on Saturday would be huge for us and would give us a 3 game lead with only 6 remaining. Let's do this

On paper, where they don't play the games -- aka, Mason says, "Put that in your pipe and smoke it!" What did you have UMass favored by?

I had UMass by 9. This was an extremely damaging loss for them.....not only because they got whupped by a C+ team while they were at home but this game marked the first of the "final 10"....7 conf +3 tourney. It could affect their dance chance. I had UMass fading before this game. They were down to A-....this game starts to make their dance card shaky.

I had UMass by 9. This was an extremely damaging loss for them.....not only because they got whupped by a C+ team while they were at home but this game marked the first of the "final 10"....7 conf +3 tourney. It could affect their dance chance. I had UMass fading before this game. They were down to A-....this game starts to make their dance card shaky.

A 20-point swing? [whistle]

-from the Indianapolis Business Journal, Jan 6, 2012.....

NCAA officials are raising the curtain on the wizards making the selections and seedings for its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

The reasons behind the selections have long been questioned, and in recent years the NCAA selection committee has been more forthcoming about the selection criteria.

But this week NCAA executives said they are opting for complete season-long transparency, making all the information used in the selection process available to the public.

The information to be released will include the Rating Percentage Index data and in-depth team information known within college basketball circles as the “nitty gritty reports.” The nitty gritty reports include data on strength of schedule, performance against top 50 teams, conference and non-conference performance, and road and home records.

-the total body of work is now more the standard than the 'last 10 games', i see pro's and con's to each

A 20-point swing? [whistle]

That is quite a swing and it sets up an interesting matchup on Sat. ...UMass @ GW....right now I still have both of them dancing but fading fast....I think the loser on Sat will become a bubble team.

-from the Indianapolis Business Journal, Jan 6, 2012.....

NCAA officials are raising the curtain on the wizards making the selections and seedings for its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments.

The reasons behind the selections have long been questioned, and in recent years the NCAA selection committee has been more forthcoming about the selection criteria.

But this week NCAA executives said they are opting for complete season-long transparency, making all the information used in the selection process available to the public.

The information to be released will include the Rating Percentage Index data and in-depth team information known within college basketball circles as the “nitty gritty reports.” The nitty gritty reports include data on strength of schedule, performance against top 50 teams, conference and non-conference performance, and road and home records.

-the total body of work is now more the standard than the 'last 10 games', i see pro's and con's to each

Hmm....raising the curtain on the wizard???....my secret is out.

I agree that the selections are made on the whole body of work....part of that body is the big MO....momentum. The committee still looks at the final 10 games...a kind of deciding factor....for those that are "in" maybe a higher or lower seed....for those on the bubble....maybe whether they are in or out. Again, the committee looks at everything else first and then at the end if needed looks at the "final 10"

We all know the VCU game Saturday is huge, we will be about 3 point favorites, VCU played well tonight, it will be a challenge.

We need to win to avoid all the pressure of having to go to VCU later with the possibility of the league title at stake...it they sweep us with 2 losses each, they get it the title assuming we both win all other games. Sure, there can be an upset along the way by someone else.

U Mass is overrated, 10 pt favorite at home lost to goddam GM, they are not a factor for the league title, nor are Richmond, St. Joe, or GW, though one of them could be spoilers and beat us or VCU.

So let's just win Saturday and then we'll have a lot of breathing room.

GM seems to be hitting their stride. It ain't gonna be easy to get out of their w/ a W. They gave us all we wanted and more at the Fetz. A sleeper in Brooklyn? Bonnie's redux?

Funny, I was thinking about that also. My calculations for a worse case scenario is, win the 4 remaining home games, win 1 of the 3 remaining away games, we win the regular season conference title outright and we get the #1 seed. Now if VCU has another St Joe's stinker, it will make this scenario a lot easier. GMU for some reason also really scares me. More then the other bottom feeders (URI, Duq & Fordham). I never thought Hewitt is a bad coach, I always thought G-Tech made mistake canning him for Gregory. My G-Tech alum neighbors initially disagreed with me but I am now seeing them slowly come around. Hewitt got them into the NCAA championship game, I don't recall Cremmins doing that (several sweet 16s) who they revere as god. Also Hewitt was not a bad coach at Siena. Like to see GM get that 12 or 13 seed so they have to play that extra game.

http://www.atlantic10.com/fls/31600/pdfs/2014_MBB_Bracket.pdf?CONTENT_ID=841159&DB_OEM_ID=31600

Now we need to run the table to get that high NCAA seed. :angry:

Funny, I was thinking about that also. My calculations for a worse case scenario is, win the 4 remaining home games, win 1 of the 3 remaining away games, we win the regular season conference title outright and we get the #1 seed. Now if VCU has another St Joe's stinker, it will make this scenario a lot easier. GMU for some reason also really scares me. More then the other bottom feeders (URI, Duq & Fordham). I never thought that Hewitt is a bad coach, I always thought G-Tech made mistake canning him for Gregory. My G-Tech alum neighbors initially disagreed with me but I am now seeing them slowly come around. Hewitt got them into the NCAA championship game, I don't recall Cremmins doing that (several sweet 16s) who they revere as god. Also Hewitt was not a bad coach at Siena. Like to see GM get that 12 or 13 seed so they have to play that extra game.

http://www.atlantic10.com/fls/31600/pdfs/2014_MBB_Bracket.pdf?CONTENT_ID=841159&DB_OEM_ID=31600

Now we need to run the table to get that high NCAA seed. :angry:

-we could have had Gregory.....

No matter where the game is played no way GM shoots lights out like they did at the Fetz. They had many shots that bounced around before dropping in-that was there one "special game"

Hope you have a reason for them getting so many O rebounds and 2nd chances at a new clock. That team scares me.

Hope you have a reason for them getting so many O rebounds and 2nd chances at a new clock. That team scares me.

As far as I can see, GM was making just too many fouls under the basket in their way to block the opponents and get the rebounds. In our game with them the officials could have called a significant number of additional fouls for activity like this. Also check the stats, one of the reasons we beat them was the number of free throws we made, these do not happen without prior fouls. SLU connected 23 out of 25 FT, GM had only 7 FT, connected 6 of them. This is a very wide difference in FTs. They need to control their fouls and still win, which is apparently what they are doing now. And that, if you wish to carry this argument forward, will make it easier for SLU to score against them and for them it will make it more difficult to get the high levels of offensive rebounds.

I know this is circular logic, but it has some factual basis to it. If you look at the recent game between GM and UMass, GM has markedly improved in this regard. In this game Umass shot 30 FT, made 19 of them, while GM had 29 FT and made 22. In this particular game both GM and UMass had plenty of fouls and GM outscore UMass in FT throwing. The total number of rebounds was the same for both teams and the other stats were close to one another. UMass lost because they had lower scoring percentages in all categories but particularly in 3 point shooting (they made 28% of all 3 pointers 7-25, vs GM's 63.8% of all 3 pointers 7-13).

GM will not be insurmountable for us when we play them next.

Saturday is HUGE.

We want another regular season championship; if we win Saturday, the Bills magic number to clinch will be 4 with 6 games remaining. Enormously important seeing that 3 of those games will be on the road. We have to defend home court.

I am SO excited for this game.