Give me a dozen Glazed donuts

slu72

No praise for Jimbo's man crush, GG? We've been slamming him hard on the GDT's recently, so let's show him some love when he comes up big for us as he did last night. He was our answer in the first half to DU's bigs w/ DE struggling. Go GG, let this game be a turning point for you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glaze single-handedly kept us in that game. Without his 12 points in the first half, we are down by 14 at the break, and likely more. He did what he had to do and thank goodness for that. Interesting, how that changed in the second half and he was somewhat absent from the flow. A lot of guys did the little things to keep us above water. Glkaze wa shuge. Manning has a nice few buckets. Same with Crawford. McBroom was clutch and we have another Mike Mccall sighting. Loe too came on. It all had to be done given the absence of Evans. A nice senior win on the road, in conference, ina bland setting, against a mediocre team playing their Super Bowl.

Some people were quick to bump my man GG out of the rotation. Great to see him step up again. He also sparked us last year at Duquesne. We had just come off that dreadful URI loss and GG was put into the starting lineup. He nearly got a double-double in that game as well and kept us in it when the rest of the team was playing poorly.

Some people were quick to bump my man GG out of the rotation. Great to see him step up again. He also sparked us last year at Duquesne. We had just come off that dreadful URI loss and GG was put into the starting lineup. He nearly got a double-double in that game as well and kept us in it when the rest of the team was playing poorly.

I think most fans are realistic in regards to Grandy. He has an important role -- to be a limited-minutes energy guy who can give the team a spark by rebounding, defending, and scoring scrappy points. Every good team needs a guy or two who can play that role. What Grandy is not, and likely never will be, is a go-to guy who plays 30+ minutes/game and is relied upon to create offense. As long as Grandy understands and focuses on his role, his is an important player. However, I think most agree that he is best suited to come off the bench for 10-15 minutes/game.

I think most fans are realistic in regards to Grandy. He has an important role -- to be a limited-minutes energy guy who can give the team a spark by rebounding, defending, and scoring scrappy points. Every good team needs a guy or two who can play that role. What Grandy is not, and likely never will be, is a go-to guy who plays 30+ minutes/game and is relied upon to create offense. As long as Grandy understands and focuses on his role, his is an important player. However, I think most agree that he is best suited to come off the bench for 10-15 minutes/game.

Exactly. Well said.

Also led the team with 8 rebounds.

But this team has to shoot better from the free throw line. 14 for 21 (67%) is not good.

He is now only .1 rpg away from leading the team in rebounding, which is very impressive considering he only gets 16 mpg. Also shooting a solid 73% from the line... a huge improvement over last year when he was battling the shoulder injury.

He is now only .1 rpg away from leading the team in rebounding, which is very impressive considering he only gets 16 mpg. Also shooting a solid 73% from the line... a huge improvement over last year when he was battling the shoulder injury.

His free throw stroke is much improved this year.

GG is a very good role player and contributes when he plays and scores in spurts.

But IMO he should have not lost all that weight, in his overall skill set his bulk was such a strong asset, it differentiated him, a dangerous banger that other teams could not deal with, same category as Conklin, who did not completely jell until his senior year.

Now he is a tad quicker but not as feared, not as effective in some ways. He has learned and improved, sure, but I wonder if he had the extra muscle if he would be even better for the team.

GG is a very good role player and contributes when he plays and scores in spurts.

But IMO he should have not lost all that weight, in his overall skill set his bulk was such a strong asset, it differentiated him, a dangerous banger that other teams could not deal with, same category as Conklin, who did not completely jell until his senior year.

Now he is a tad quicker but not as feared, not as effective in some ways. He has learned and improved, sure, but I wonder if he had the extra muscle if he would be even better for the team.

In what ways is he not as effective? Seems more effective than any time last year.

The best part about "Team" basketball is that everyone knows their role and realizes when they need to step up.

The weird thing is that I don't think we have even seen what this team is capable of playing at their absolute best. Every night seems to be either "defense shows up, offense doesn't" or, in the case of last night, "offense shows up, defense doesn't." What is going to happen when the offense and defense BOTH show up on the same day. If I were VCU or UMass, I would be sh**ing my pants thinking of that possibility….

Well, if we can shoot 3s like we did last night or thereabouts, which we should w/ MM, Mc3, JB, RL, and MC, we will be bringing the Billiken version of shock and awe to the world of college hoops. Big IF up to this point though. Will have to see a few more games like last night though before I crown us 2014-14 NCAA Champs.

I think VCU will be our toughest opponent as I think their pressure will affect us more this year. However, they are mainly, if not entirely, a man-to-man defense in the half court, right? If so, that is very much to our advantage. Duq's zone (as with most every other zone we've faced) was really effective.

Duq's zone (as with most every other zone we've faced) was really effective.

We were very good against the zone last night. Grandy was getting wide open looks inthe post and Crawford drained a few threes when they went zone. They played man the whole second half because we effectively attacked their zone in the first half

That being said, for the majority of year we have been bad against the zone. Richmond with their 2-3 will be a good test

We were very good against the zone last night. Grandy was getting wide open looks inthe post and Crawford drained a few threes when they went zone. They played man the whole second half because we effectively attacked their zone in the first half

That being said, for the majority of year we have been bad against the zone. Richmond with their 2-3 will be a good test

I don't agree that we were very good against the zone in the first half, at least for the stretch I was able to watch (watched about the last 13-14 min of 1st half). Maybe my memory is wrong about it though. We had a decent stretch of bad possessions where we couldn't find a decent shot and lots of passing around the perimeter. I do agree, GG was great against the zone. He was actively finding open pockets down low and the guys did a good job of getting him the ball.

I think VCU will be our toughest opponent as I think their pressure will affect us more this year. However, they are mainly, if not entirely, a man-to-man defense in the half court, right? If so, that is very much to our advantage. Duq's zone (as with most every other zone we've faced) was really effective.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Doesn't VCU do a fair amount of zone trapping in the half court?