Making the Trip to St. Louis

Dr. Gunnie

As someone with young kids, I will say that many of the places mentioned are not the most kid friendly. Pappy's has been named one of the best, if not the best, barbeque places in the country by several publications and TV shows. However, if your kids don't like barbeque, that won't matter. Vito's (pizza and italian), Triumph (moderately upscale grill), The Fieldhouse (sportsbar), and Humphreys (prototypical campus bar) are the closest, but not are particularly kid friendly.

If you are staying downtown, there are a lot of more kid friendly options downtown where you could go and then head over to the game. SLU is not in downtown, but it's not very far either. If your driving, just get on Olive and head east. You'll make it there in 10 minutes.

10 minutes to go from downtown to midtown? You driving a grocery cart to get there?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

If you are coming in from Lambert International Airport (located in North County oh no!) to SLU's campus, the best way is to take I-70 to Grand and head south on Grand until you reach SLU. You will drive through a blighted area on North Grand, but it is perfectly safe to drive through. I wouldn't recommend trying to sell/score drugs or wandering around alone at night there, but if you aren't an idiot you should be fine.

If you are really wanting to live on the edge, head up to the Ferguson/Florissant area in the dreaded North County. You will likely run into some old folks who don't understand how the internet works and enjoy taking publicly funded senior trips on shuttle buses. Scary stuff.

Take 170 south to 64 east. It is just plain stupid to unnecessarily put your family at risk driving through an area with a blatantly high crime rate. I suspect some of those suggesting otherwise have never been robbed at gun point in the city. St. Louis is a great city, but like ANY urban area, there are areas that are statistically less safe than others. Exercising commonsense is wise.

If you like Italian food and don't mind a little more driving, Mangia on South Grand is excellent. Probably about 3 or 4 miles from Chaifetz.

Enjoy your visit to our city.

Or you could try St. Louis Chicken & Fish with who knows how many locations to serve you up some catfish nuggets. As an alternative, Florissant Chicken & Fish at Airport & Hanley recently got new management and he changed up the recipe to his nuggets using a more meal based battering as opposed to the floury concoction you find at the regular "St. Louis" locations. Its got a lemony pepper zest added as well making it some kind of middle ground between King Ed's, "St. Louis," and a Burmese fruit orchard tended by a Middle Eastern gentleman and his Oriental harem.

Take 170 south to 64 east. It is just plain stupid to unnecessarily put your family at risk driving through an area with a blatantly high crime rate. I suspect some of those suggesting otherwise have never been robbed at gun point in the city. St. Louis is a great city, but like ANY urban area, there are areas that are statistically less safe than others. Exercising commonsense is wise.

If you like Italian food and don't mind a little more driving, Mangia on South Grand is excellent. Probably about 3 or 4 miles from Chaifetz.

Enjoy your visit to our city.

I-170 to I-64 vs I-70 to Grand each take about the same time according to Google maps and the Grand route is slightly less miles. The main difference is that if you take 64 you'll get stuck in a bunch of gameday traffic getting off the highway and it is way more difficult to get to the best street parking which is north of Chaifetz.

I've been driving down North Grand to and from games since the Bills moved to Chaifetz and never had any problems or really felt unsafe. I wouldn't stop anywhere along the way, but you are FINE driving. Yes, the area is blighted and you will likely see some colorful looking characters, but it is safe inside your car. There are also some really cool old buildings to look at and the cool old water tower in the middle of Grand just south of I-70.

All that said, I hope all of you keep taking I-64 so that I can avoid traffic on the way to games.

I-170 to I-64 vs I-70 to Grand each take about the same time according to Google maps and the Grand route is slightly less miles. The main difference is that if you take 64 you'll get stuck in a bunch of gameday traffic getting off the highway and it is way more difficult to get to the best street parking which is north of Chaifetz.

I've been driving down North Grand to and from games since the Bills moved to Chaifetz and never had any problems or really felt unsafe. I wouldn't stop anywhere along the way, but you are FINE driving. Yes, the area is blighted and you will likely see some colorful looking characters, but it is safe inside your car. There are also some really cool old buildings to look at and the cool old water tower in the middle of Grand just south of I-70.

All that said, I hope all of you keep taking I-64 so that I can avoid traffic on the way to games.

I take 44. No traffic.

Vitos is closer and nicer and cleaner but Blackthorn Pub is the only place to go in St Louis for Pizza. A block off Grand on Wyoming.....Chicago Style....not St Louis Style..........St Louis has no style when it comes to pizza........

Blackthorn is so good.

One more piece of advice sir. Do not go too far north of the campus in the City or the County of Saint Louis.

Yeah there are no dangerous places west or south of SLU. Please. I'd rather see MVC vs A10 talk than someone saying how bad North County is.

+1

If you are coming in from Lambert International Airport (located in North County oh no!) to SLU's campus, the best way is to take I-70 to Grand and head south on Grand until you reach SLU. You will drive through a blighted area on North Grand, but it is perfectly safe to drive through. I wouldn't recommend trying to sell/score drugs or wandering around alone at night there, but if you aren't an idiot you should be fine.

If you are really wanting to live on the edge, head up to the Ferguson/Florissant area in the dreaded North County. You will likely run into some old folks who don't understand how the internet works and enjoy taking publicly funded senior trips on shuttle buses. Scary stuff.

The safer and better way is to drive to I-170 an take that south to I-64, which will lead you east to downtown and to SLU

RU serious? That way to SLU is the least best and least perfectly safe to drive through. If you take that route, you are increasing your chances of being a victim of a crime, whether its robbery, carjacking, or assault. It has nothing to do with being smart or an idiot. Yeah you will see some beautiful remains of burned down buildings and increase the chance of witnessing a drug deal, shooting, prostitute jerking off a guy at a bus stop and a long list of other crimes, but that is something you do with your drunk friends not your family. Steer clear of N Grand, you are not safe in your car.

I know you asked about restaurants, so this is not on point, but if you have a half hour or so of free time, I would recommend going to the Basilica. It's only a few block from campus and it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I go there every time I'm in St. Louis, and I see something new each time. It's very, very impressive, whether you're religious or not.

http://cathedralstl.org/

1) Pappys, (if you like ribs) the kids can always have the very good smoked turkey (although mine like pulled pork also). It says it opens at 11:00 but will actually open earlier on Saturday. If you get there by 10:45, there will probably be no line and hassle. Parking and entrance is behind place. Get ribs, they are the best I have had.

2) I like the Fountain, it is a little fufu but the ambiance and bathrooms are great and the kids should like it.

3) Who ever suggested the City Museum, that was a great idea.

4) Basilica is even better suggestion, have you heard of St. Paul's, Notre Dame... dumps! Our Basilica has the most gold mosaics in the world, all the walls are covered in them. It is actually a little over the top in gaudiness, it is overwhelming. It is worth a huge fortune and the most impressive piece of art in the city.

not St Louis Style..........St Louis has no style when it comes to pizza........

BS, go back from where you came.

You're not going to have a problem driving Grand from 70 to SLU on a Sat afternoon. You can even stop at numerous places along the way. If you like Fried Fish try Mothers on N. Grand at St. Louis Ave. However, what I'd suggest is you come down N Grand and turn left on St. Louis Ave and head about 10 or so blocks east on St. Louis Ave to Crown Candy Kitchen which is one of St. Louis' gems. Have a BLT and one of the best Milkshakes you'll ever have. If you watch the show Man vs Food where the guy (can't remember his name) does all the food challenges, this is the place where he did the milkshakes. The same guy also featured their BLT on a Best Sandwiches in America show. The place has been opened since the early 1900's, I'm thinking 1910ish. It's still in the same location run by the 3rd and 4th generations of the same family. You and your kids will love Crown Candy