Mike Crawford's debut against Wichita State

GOSLU68

And if Jake actually shoots the ball, maybe we beat Wisconsin.

I know nobody played well in the Wisconsin game, but if you're going to say Jake is the reason we beat SIUC, despite Evans scoring 11 points in the last 6 minutes and McCall scoring 19 points then I think you can call out Jake in the Wisconsin game.

I didn't say Jake was "the reason." I said we likely wouldn't have won without his contribution. There's a big difference. There's also a big difference in calling Barnett "garbage" and saying he played like ###### in a specific game.

All of our seniors guards haven't played up to their ability. As B.Hayes pointed out - McCall played like absolute garbage and made consecutive basic mistakes when he left his feet twice in a row without having a plan.

Jett continues to drive to the lane without finishing or having a plan.

It's all good though. All of this discussion will be useless when SLU gives Wichita State the business tomorrow.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say Jake was "the reason." I said we likely wouldn't have won without his contribution. There's a big difference. There's also a big difference in calling Barnett "garbage" and saying he played like ###### in a specific game.

All of our seniors guards haven't played up to their ability. As B.Hayes pointed out - McCall played like absolute garbage and made consecutive basic mistakes when he left his feet twice in a row without having a plan.

Jett continues to drive to the lane without finishing or having a plan.

It's all good though. All of this discussion will be useless when SLU gives Wichita State the business tomorrow.

I'll agree with everything you said. Our senior guards are not playing like senior guards at all. I'm done saying anything about Jake. It's not like I have much of a clue of what I'm talking about anyway. Let's just go out and get a huge win tomorrow.

I remember JC commenting on his differences w/ RM about on ball (RMs way) and off ball (his way) screens. We fans got used to RMs way and the crispness and discipline his teams played them. I just re-played the UW game, and it seems we're playing more of JCs way. Also, the on ball screens are not being set on time and not very crisply. Last year JC didn't stray far from RM's style early on, but as the season progressed we did play more uptempo but still stuck pretty much to RM's style. It' my guess JC is putting more of his stamp on the team, and maybe they're having a difficult time adjusting.

I remember JC commenting on his differences w/ RM about on ball (RMs way) and off ball (his way) screens. We fans got used to RMs way and the crispness and discipline his teams played them. I just re-played the UW game, and it seems we're playing more of JCs way. Also, the on ball screens are not being set on time and not very crisply. Last year JC didn't stray far from RM's style early on, but as the season progressed we did play more uptempo but still stuck pretty much to RM's style. It' my guess JC is putting more of his stamp on the team, and maybe they're having a difficult time adjusting.

I disagree. Our offense looks almost identical to what it was under RM, in my opinion. (In terms of scheme and set plays, if not execution)

I disagree. Our offense looks almost identical to what it was under RM, in my opinion. (In terms of scheme and set plays, if not execution)

Yeah I kind of agree with you. I can't remember how many times in these last 2 games, I've seen someone set a ball screen and not even come close to making contact with the defender. You can blame that on the ball handler too for not fully taking the screen. I think there's a definite execution problem right now

Yeah I kind of agree with you. I can't remember how many times in these last 2 games, I've seen someone set a ball screen and not even come close to making contact with the defender. You can blame that on the ball handler too for not fully taking the screen. I think there's a definite execution problem right now

Everything on offense looks a half-step off.

That said, there's a lot of time to get that fixed, and it starts Sunday.

Crawford has looked good in the few "mop-up" appearances he has had but I cannot see him displacing JB anytime soon.

Most college teams have an 8 or 9 player rotation. We have the five seniors and two juniors as the core. With the abundance of guards (MM, JJ, AM, JB), MC will have trouble getting minutes unless SLU has injury issues.

More likely, TL and RA will continue to be the freshmen that see meaningful minutes because of the need they fulfill. All three freshmen are players and will be important components in 2014-15.

Maybe the new rules are scaring them. RM taught the 6 inch rule, which he demonstrated quite effectively at Utah.

That's also partly because teams are adjusting to our offense and overplaying those screens hard. I think we are still adjusting to the oppositions changing gameplans.

We are not flying under the radar like we were in recent years and you can tell by our opponents defensive strategies

I'd like to see Jake prepared to shoot off the catch more often. He has a nice stroke. I'd like to see a little Cody Ellis from him.

I see one of our offensive problems as teams are dropping off us a little especially JJ. Why would you ever defend him tight enough outside the 3 line to get screened? He seems to be driving into people instead of by them. Teams seem to be overplaying the screens on MM. He's done well getting to the rim, but many times he drives opposite of the screen. Early in the year it looked like MM had solved his problems finishing his drives, but the last couple of games he seems to be back to getting to the rim at will and then missing the attempt. JJ and MM are both good players, but both of them are overly strong in one area and not so much in the other. After 2 years if you don't know to drop of JJ and dare him to shoot or to over play MM and look to take away his 3 and see if he can finish his drives you just haven't been paying attention. Now these guys need to adjust.

I'd like to see Jake prepared to shoot off the catch more often. He has a nice stroke. I'd like to see a little Cody Ellis from him.

I see one of our offensive problems as teams are dropping off us a little especially JJ. Why would you ever defend him tight enough outside the 3 line to get screened? He seems to be driving into people instead of by them. Teams seem to be overplaying the screens on MM. He's done well getting to the rim, but many times he drives opposite of the screen. Early in the year it looked like MM had solved his problems finishing his drives, but the last couple of games he seems to be back to getting to the rim at will and then missing the attempt. JJ and MM are both good players, but both of them are overly strong in one area and not so much in the other. After 2 years if you don't know to drop of JJ and dare him to shoot or to over play MM and look to take away his 3 and see if he can finish his drives you just haven't been paying attention. Now these guys need to adjust.

Great post, Skip.

I especially agree with the part about Jake. He a catch and shoot guy. He needs to be himself and not try to do things he's not so great at (i.e. driving). He can be a great asset to this team when he plays within himself.

For those who are giving big props to JB for shooting us back into the the SIUC and Oral Roberts games - this is exactly the point that is being made by many - this offense is not doing its job like it should - if it were JB never really needs to step up. Now if you call hitting a couple of threes as stepping up and saving the day then fine but a player like him should be hitting a couple of threes every night.

For those who are giving big props to JB for shooting us back into the the SIUC and Oral Roberts games - this is exactly the point that is being made by many - this offense is not doing its job like it should - if it were JB never really needs to step up. Now if you call hitting a couple of threes as stepping up and saving the day then fine but a player like him should be hitting a couple of threes every night.

Yes. But our entire team is NOT hitting a couple of threes of each game. Where's all this outside shooting? Again, we have been missing this element since Lisch!! JB is the only one who has the potential (other than Crawford and Lancona) to hit from the outside. No outside shooting from JJ, DE or GG, and IMO, McBroom will have a much tougher time playing against taller guards so I am not counting on him. At least JJ and DE provide other assets to the team, but IMO, if JJ doesn't step it up, he should go back to our 6th man. GG, sorry, but he is quickly returning to a high energy guy.

In short, neither JB nor GG can play defense and if JB is not making his shots, then I our lineup looks ugly (JJ, JB and DE). If we want to be as good as last year, or better, then we far less minutes need to be allocated to JJ, JB and GG. And by that, I mean the others need to earn (not be given) these minutes. Come January, hopefully RA surges ahead of GG and both TL and MC increase their minutes and we ride the hot hand/best match ups. Games against Oral Roberts and SEMO are not good tests of our team's ability and I did not/could not watch against Wisc or ODU. Will know alot more after today's game!!

tumblr_mjc97s7p2o1qj80alo1_250.gif

Yes. But our entire team is NOT hitting a couple of threes of each game. Where's all this outside shooting? Again, we have been missing this element since Lisch!! JB is the only one who has the potential (other than Crawford and Lancona) to hit from the outside. No outside shooting from JJ, DE or GG, and IMO, McBroom will have a much tougher time playing against taller guards so I am not counting on him. At least JJ and DE provide other assets to the team, but IMO, if JJ doesn't step it up, he should go back to our 6th man. GG, sorry, but he is quickly returning to a high energy guy.

In short, neither JB nor GG can play defense and if JB is not making his shots, then I our lineup looks ugly (JJ, JB and DE). If we want to be as good as last year, or better, then we far less minutes need to be allocated to JJ, JB and GG. And by that, I mean the others need to earn (not be given) these minutes. Come January, hopefully RA surges ahead of GG and both TL and MC increase their minutes and we ride the hot hand/best match ups. Games against Oral Roberts and SEMO are not good tests of our team's ability and I did not/could not watch against Wisc or ODU. Will know alot more after today's game!!

No argument from me - the entire offense is not delivering as I said. I am not knocking JB per se just saying his hitting a couple of threes does not absolve him of his other poor play. At least MM and JJ are playing defense.

No argument from me - the entire offense is not delivering as I said. I am not knocking JB per se just saying his hitting a couple of threes does not absolve him of his other poor play. At least MM and JJ are playing defense.

And MM and JJ handle the ball/break the press, etc. In fact, JJ routinely defends and shut down the other team's best guard. No, JB is out there for one purpose -- to shoot the ball -- and he is not making his shots, then needs to be replaced. And no, Aron, JB is not under appreciated for his rebounding. What's next? Comments about Jake having "intangibles", having great "vision", being a "great passer" or being the "glue" to this team?? Good grief, why does the name Kyle Cassity come to mind??

And MM and JJ handle the ball/break the press, etc. In fact, JJ routinely defends and shut down the other team's best guard. No, JB is out there for one purpose -- to shoot the ball -- and he is not making his shots, then needs to be replaced. And no, Aron, JB is not under appreciated for his rebounding. What's next? Comments about Jake having "intangibles", having great "vision", being a "great passer" or being the "glue" to this team?? Good grief, why does the name Kyle Cassity come to mind??

Because one player is being singled out for his poor performance in a couple of games even though the entire team hasn't exactly played that well? Just a guess.