GDT: Fontbonne is scared; Bills out for blood

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not season ending, I hope?

He was back on the bench at the end of the game. It looked like he could have played if they really needed him to. Considering they were up 60 in an exhibition game, I think keeping him out the rest of the game was the right call. ;)

He was back on the bench at the end of the game. It looked like he could have played if they really needed him to. Considering they were up 60 in an exhibition game, I think keeping him out the rest of the game was the right call. ;)

Getting X-ray tomorrow

Getting X-ray tomorrow

I wouldn't doubt they hold him out for the SEMO game to let the swelling go down. It was pretty obvious that it was a dislocation and they took him in the back and popped it back into place. When he came back to the bench he had gauze wrapped around it but seemed to be in good spirits. Obviously, they want to make sure there is no fracture, but I'd be shocked if it is anything really serious.

I wouldn't doubt they hold him out for the SEMO game to let the swelling go down. It was pretty obvious that it was a dislocation and they took him in the back and popped it back into place. When he came back to the bench he had gauze wrapped around it but seemed to be in good spirits. Obviously, they want to make sure there is no fracture, but I'd be shocked if it is anything really serious.

Yeah I agree. It's just the one thing you dont want to happen in an exhibition game

What is it with our guys and their nasty finger/hand injuries?

I could not see much on the computer thing but I remember the Justin Jordan one, that was nasty. I could see that from my seats.

The Kevin Lisch one was gross too.

I guess hurting a finger, no matter how gross, is better than a knee or a head.

I saw the same thing you all did but I was there. I could not see McBroom's finger bending out of place, but finger dislocations are common and easy to fix on the spot. You pull the joint from where it has locked out of place to release the joint and then relocate it in the proper place. The fix should be done soon after the injury, generally that means in the field and with no anesthetics. In fact it is better to do it on the spot before the joint swells like an orange and creates a world of long lasting trouble. Once the finger is back in place you need an X Ray to rule out a fracture and then a splint to immobilize it for a few days. It will hurt for some time since the ligaments have been stretched out of place and need to recover. This is not a reason to fear inability to play for the season or a significant portion of it.

My impressions of the game as a whole (I am not a basketball professional so my observations may seem rudimentary to you all): Most of the game was not played by the starters, it seemed that everyone played. The freshmen played a significant amount of time and did well, and even the walk ins played for the last minute or so of the game, Joey LePak had a few points to his credit.

Grandy, I thought he was much improved from last year. I counted 3 dunks by him, he seemed to fight for the ball and try to get it. I think he has improved a lot from last year. Played a lot.

Barnett, is more aggressive with the ball, nimbler than last year. He sank at least 3 3 pointers. Improved from last year. Played a lot.

Manning did sink a dunk, did not appear greatly improved from last year as far as I could see. He did not play much.

McBroom, fast as that small guard from Dayton, very nimble and good with his feet. Very aggressive, chases the ball. Did not score much but constantly pestered the opposition.

Lancona, I thought he did well but appeared a bit clumsy at time. He is a good rebounder, scored well. Needs additional confidence and acclimation to D1, I think he will be great.

Crawford, fast, did not score much despite a number of attempts, good connection and team work with Lancona. I think he feels a bit out of place still. Will need to get his footing in D1 basketball to play as well as he can.

Agbekum, this man is like a piece of industrial machinery, he rebounds and fights for the rebounds, scatters the opposition, scores, and is a good foul thrower. This man is great or will be great in the near future in my opinion. One area he needs work in is catching fast unexpected passes, he did not get two that were meant for him. He is nimble with his feet and has good moves despite his size.

Fouls. The Fontbonne team was a foul making machine. SLU did not have that much of a problem with fouls. Do not take this as a correct statement because I just do not know the fine points of foul calling, but it seemed to me they are indeed calling more fouls, however I thought there was a fair amount of physical contact allowed in this particular game with no foul calls.

And that is that, I personally had a wonderful time and enjoyed seeing the returning players as well as the new freshmen. Hope those of you that stayed behind doing trick or treating had a good time. For me this game was a big treat. What I enjoyed was seeing the new talent in the team which I thought was pretty impressive. The margin of this win was very large but would have been much larger if the coach had not got everyone out to play.

I saw the same thing you all did but I was there. I could not see McBroom's finger bending out of place, but finger dislocations are common and easy to fix on the spot. You pull the joint from where it has locked out of place to release the joint and then relocate it in the proper place. The fix should be done soon after the injury, generally that means in the field and with no anesthetics. In fact it is better to do it on the spot before the joint swells like an orange and creates a world of long lasting trouble. Once the finger is back in place you need an X Ray to rule out a fracture and then a splint to immobilize it for a few days. It will hurt for some time since the ligaments have been stretched out of place and need to recover. This is not a reason to fear inability to play for the season or a significant portion of it.

My impressions of the game as a whole (I am not a basketball professional so my observations may seem rudimentary to you all): Most of the game was not played by the starters, it seemed that everyone played. The freshmen played a significant amount of time and did well, and even the walk ins played for the last minute or so of the game, Joey LePak had a few points to his credit.

Grandy, I thought he was much improved from last year. I counted 3 dunks by him, he seemed to fight for the ball and try to get it. I think he has improved a lot from last year. Played a lot.

Barnett, is more aggressive with the ball, nimbler than last year. He sank at least 3 3 pointers. Improved from last year. Played a lot.

Manning did sink a dunk, did not appear greatly improved from last year as far as I could see. He did not play much.

McBroom, fast as that small guard from Dayton, very nimble and good with his feet. Very aggressive, chases the ball. Did not score much but constantly pestered the opposition.

Lancona, I thought he did well but appeared a bit clumsy at time. He is a good rebounder, scored well. Needs additional confidence and acclimation to D1, I think he will be great.

Crawford, fast, did not score much despite a number of attempts, good connection and team work with Lancona. I think he feels a bit out of place still. Will need to get his footing in D1 basketball to play as well as he can.

Agbekum, this man is like a piece of industrial machinery, he rebounds and fights for the rebounds, scatters the opposition, scores, and is a good foul thrower. This man is great or will be great in the near future in my opinion. One area he needs work in is catching fast unexpected passes, he did not get two that were meant for him. He is nimble with his feet and has good moves despite his size.

Fouls. The Fontbonne team was a foul making machine. SLU did not have that much of a problem with fouls. Do not take this as a correct statement because I just do not know the fine points of foul calling, but it seemed to me they are indeed calling more fouls, however I thought there was a fair amount of physical contact allowed in this particular game with no foul calls.

And that is that, I personally had a wonderful time and enjoyed seeing the returning players as well as the new freshmen. Hope those of you that stayed behind doing trick or treating had a good time. For me this game was a big treat. What I enjoyed was seeing the new talent in the team which I thought was pretty impressive. The margin of this win was very large but would have been much larger if the coach had not got everyone out to play.

Foul thrower as Jimbo would say HATE HATE HATE HATE

I look forward to your reviews of all the home games.