Breaking - Biondi Has Resigned

For those of us old enough to remember the university and campus pre-Biondi, his tenure should be celebrated as one of the great administrative success stories anywhere. He has taken the endowment from $93 million to a $1 billion, increased average ACT scores from 22 to 27, and solidified the university as one of the top 100 in the country -- these accomplishments cannot be understated.

Here. Here.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a terrible human being, but he definitely made very competent decisions from which Saint Louis University has benefited tremendously, especially early on in his tenure (but continuing throughout).

I only hope that the proper care is exercised in naming a worthy successor so that we may continue to build on his (largely positive) legacy and take SLU to the next level.

He's a terrible human being, but he definitely made very competent decisions from which Saint Louis University has benefited tremendously, especially early on in his tenure (but continuing throughout).

I only hope that the proper care is exercised in naming a worthy successor so that we may continue to build on his (largely positive) legacy and take SLU to the next level.

Who the hell are you to judge the quality of a human being?!

For those of us old enough to remember the university and campus pre-Biondi, his tenure should be celebrated as one of the great administrative success stories anywhere. He has taken the endowment from $93 million to a $1 billion, increased average ACT scores from 22 to 27, and solidified the university as one of the top 100 in the country -- these accomplishments cannot be understated.

Very well said David. I am a '71 Alum and I was overwhelmed with the campus when I was in St. Louis last year for my 1st visit to Chaifetz. The University is in so much better shape at Fr. Biondi's departure. I hope that he has a good retirement. He certainly deserves it.

Who the hell are you to judge the quality of a human being?!

Same as anyone else.... I interact with someone, hear stories about them, weigh what I know and what I've heard against my own personal set of values and I form an opinion. From my limited interaction with the man, and from the stories I've heard.... I call them like I see them.

If you disagree, that's cool.

This is what a former Jesuit wrote on my Facebook wall after I posted a link to the story last night. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time. Biondi did a lot for the University, but also stepped on many people in the process.

"My last memory of him was him pointing in my direction and looking disgusted. He was talking to Fr. Paul Stark. Paul waved me over afterwards and told me that Biondi was complaining about the homeless around SLU and wondering how they could get rid of guys like me hanging around the campus. Paul delighted in telling Biondi that I was a Jesuit (at that time). Then I think he took greater delight in telling me afterwards."

This is what a former Jesuit wrote on my Facebook wall after I posted a link to the story last night. It's kind of funny and sad at the same time. Biondi did a lot for the University, but also stepped on many people in the process.

"My last memory of him was him pointing in my direction and looking disgusted. He was talking to Fr. Paul Stark. Paul waved me over afterwards and told me that Biondi was complaining about the homeless around SLU and wondering how they could get rid of guys like me hanging around the campus. Paul delighted in telling Biondi that I was a Jesuit (at that time). Then I think he took greater delight in telling me afterwards."

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Same as anyone else.... I interact with someone, hear stories about them, weigh what I know and what I've heard against my own personal set of values and I form an opinion. From my limited interaction with the man, and from the stories I've heard.... I call them like I see them.

If you disagree, that's cool.

I completely agree with BillikenLaw's opinion; same thing, multiple stories from multiple, credible inside sources. I think most people know this... those that defend him on this board mostly have a reason, a relationship, an agenda. Some are just naive, drink the cool aid, want to "believe".

He did some good things, sure. He was "there" when we finally got funds for Chaifetz. Should have gotten done long,, long, ago. Thank God for the good Dr. C. and a few others miraculously coming through.

Biondi gets all kinds of credit for a nicer campus: privacy and closed streets and lawns and emergency phones and ponds and benches. Hey, most every urban university back 20+ yrs ago recognized the shifting demographics of the USA's inner cities and dramatically upgraded their security and made their city campuses more private, protected and attractive. Reason: survival.

The Board better do an excellent job with this hire or the results could be less than desirable.

Any chance Garanzini could be poached from Loyola? I personally believe it would be great to have him back.

I was wondering that myself. Seems like a good fit. I remember him being well respected when he was at SLU.

BTW, last night's anniversary/retirement party picked up $1.4 million for scholarships. Not bad.

Whoever it is, as long as their emphasis is less on tearing down midtown buildings/building stuff and more on improving our academic rankings and our basketball team, I don't care if they're 30, 45, 60, whatever.

Because academic rankings haven't improved at all during Biondi's tenure. And our basketball team hasn't shown dramatic recent improvement either. And our endowment and research grants haven't grown exponentially. Yup, all Biondi knew how to do was "tear down buildings" and piss off faculty. All the good things that have happened to SLU in the past two decades happened in spite of Biondi and not because of him, right? Tiresome.

Because academic rankings haven't improved at all during Biondi's tenure. And our basketball team hasn't shown dramatic recent improvement either. And our endowment and research grants haven't grown exponentially. Yup, all Biondi knew how to do was "tear down buildings" and piss off faculty. All the good things that have happened to SLU in the past two decades happened in spite of Biondi and not because of him, right? Tiresome.

Well, you're putting words in my mouth. I said I want a president who will shift his focus more to those things than tear-down/construction projects, not that Biondi never did anything to improve those things and that anything good that happened there happened in spite of him.

For what it's worth, SLU was ranked in the 70's when I applied there for undergrad, and now we're barely clinging to life in the top 100 at #92..... I would prefer to bring in a president who will focus on reversing that trend, rather than allowing it to continue as Fr. Biondi did in his last ten years.

And for what it's worth, abolishing the office of the graduate school, attempting to gut faculty tenure, shifting focus to larger classes, more adjuncts, more online professors and less student-professor interaction like he wanted probably would not have helped.

I know we're not ready to compete with BC, Notre Dame, and Georgetown for applicants but don't think it's unreasonable to wish we were more like Marquette (who in 2003 was ranked eleven spots behind us and is now ranked nine spots in front of us) or even Fordham (who in 2003 was ranked four spots behind us and is now ranked thirty-four spots in front of us).

I know people who attended the university in the early 90's and before will continue to say "YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN WHAT SLU WAS LIKE *BEFORE* BIONDI!" I mean, yeah, okay, I get it. SLU was a smoking s***hole when he took over, and it isn't now, and he played the most important role in that transformation. Great.

That doesn't excuse that our rankings have slid steadily the past 10 years while similarly-sized Jesuit schools like Fordham and Marquette, who have half as large as an endowment as we do and used to be ranked behind us, are now handily in front of us.

I just want to see improvement.

Stop! You're upsetting the narrative. Remember: Biondi = Devil. There is NO OTHER INTERPRETATION. Submit or be ridiculed.

Stop! You're upsetting the narrative. Remember: Biondi = Devil. There is NO OTHER INTERPRETATION. Submit or be ridiculed.

When you don't have an argument, just put words in the guys mouth and argue against that! Apparently it's gotten you far enough in life. Tell me what else I can learn from your oh-so-superior life experience

When you don't have an argument, just put words in the guys mouth and argue against that! Apparently it's gotten you far enough in life. Tell me what else I can learn from your oh-so-superior life experience

Maybe you can learn balance. Maybe you can learn a little compassion. That would be a good start.