nice piece on Crawford = Kokomo Tribune

DoctorB

This is NOT TRUE.

He had other offers but no huge offers. Stetson, New Orleans, Nevada were some offers.

Had you researched and I believe it's been posted, but Mike is an all-state caliber golfer. He missed several BIG AAU tournaments because of his golf schedule.

If you're not expecting much, you'll be pleasantly surprised. He's a scorer (and more)

Gardner Webb, Yale and Lamar offered as well. If he would have waited until the spring he would have had several high major offers. As you mentioned he is an incredible golfer and went to State 3 years in a row so that hurt him on the AAU circuit. He has decided not to play this year to work on his game and in the weight room. I would be very surprised if he doesn't contribute next year.

Watched his videos posted to this board. I think any D1 scholarship player would light up the scoreboard facing his shorter "suburban looking" competition. How many 5'9" kids with comb overs did he face?

This is just dumb. If you read the article, his best games were against great competition. One team it doesn't mention is Columbus North who was ranked 2nd in 4A and had an all D1 front line and Mike single handedly kept his team in it and had 32 pts and 14 rebounds. Also he is really smart and takes what the D gives him. Theres games he scores all his points from outside and there is games he gets them all getting to the rim. His midrange might be his best thing. He's a really good 3 point shooter and a great free throw shooter.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gardner Webb, Yale and Lamar offered as well. If he would have waited until the spring he would have had several high major offers. As you mentioned he is an incredible golfer and went to State 3 years in a row so that hurt him on the AAU circuit. He has decided not to play this year to work on his game and in the weight room. I would be very surprised if he doesn't contribute next year.

This is just dumb. If you read the article, his best games were against great competition. One team it doesn't mention is Columbus North who was ranked 2nd in 4A and had an all D1 front line and Mike single handedly kept his team in it and had 32 pts and 14 rebounds. Also he is really smart and takes what the D gives him. Theres games he scores all his points from outside and there is games he gets them all getting to the rim. His midrange might be his best thing. He's a really good 3 point shooter and a great free throw shooter.

I am really looking forward to seeing Crawford in Billiken Blue next year. I remember when a few of us thought Dwayne Evans would be very good and we were dismissed for thinking such. Then, he changed his name to Dwight, and now he's the best player on the team.

wasn't in this tavern when Evans and Mccall were early signers? was the chatter this wait and see show doubt ###### going down then?

For me the build up is similar the early signing, following kick ass HS teams go long into state championship, led by our recruit! looked too good to be true on paper but look what we've seen last 3 years. In some ways I find Crawford inspires more drooling. with the 4 year star thing, and the carrying team element enhanced. On the 5'9" hick thing can't imagine there was too much urban competition captured on tape of soon to be drafted by NBA, out stater Otto Porter Jr.

Evans and McCall had very good reputations - in fact, McCall was considered a coup for us. So if your point is that people were doubting Evans and McCall then you are "misrembembering". People on the board were excited about that year's class. Crawford apparently has made good strides his senior year and so he may very well be a real find - all I said before was that I would like to actually see him perform before I anoint him or complain about him - seems fair.

I'm noticing that you people from Indiana take basketball seriously.

Is Crawford familiar with the Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness? Because that would really be an asset to this team.

pyramid_zps10b1955a.png

Evans and McCall had very good reputations - in fact, McCall was considered a coup for us. So if your point is that people were doubting Evans and McCall then you are "misrembembering". People on the board were excited about that year's class. Crawford apparently has made good strides his senior year and so he may very well be a real find - all I said before was that I would like to actually see him perform before I anoint him or complain about him - seems fair.

If you go back, you will see that people on this board were very excited about McCall but very ho-hum on Evans. In fact, I can really only remember DoctorB being bullish on him. Most others just weren't that excited and didn't think we'd see much. Out of the players from that class, people were far more excited about Loe, McCall and Jett than they were Evans. In fact, there might have been more excitement about getting Barnett as a transfer, due to the numbers he posted as a freshman in Toledo. There isn't that much 'misremembering' if someone states that Evans wasn't much heralded coming in. Out of that class, he was the one with the least amount of expectations coming in as a freshman.

If you go back, you will see that people on this board were very excited about McCall but very ho-hum on Evans. In fact, I can really only remember DoctorB being bullish on him. Most others just weren't that excited and didn't think we'd see much. Out of the players from that class, people were far more excited about Loe, McCall and Jett than they were Evans. In fact, there might have been more excitement about getting Barnett as a transfer, due to the numbers he posted as a freshman in Toledo. There isn't that much 'misremembering' if someone states that Evans wasn't much heralded coming in. Out of that class, he was the one with the least amount of expectations coming in as a freshman.

IIRC, I don't think people were too excited for Jett. But of course I could be wrong. Preemptory #PAYSTUBS

Are you channeling GOSLU68 or something? Decipher this post, please.

when RM recruited MM and DE we had a whole season to follow them in high school. Both were studs on teams that went way deep in state tournament largely because of their respective efforts. The process of watching them all season and determining that they should be pretty good is what I did. The experience has been the same for me following Crawford's season and now his post season accolades. All of which makes me feel that he too should be good at SLU. In addition he has the gym rat 1000 shots day, first to arrive last to leave practice vibe. Tavern my analogy to this or any board. Potter Jr comment in response to the concept of Crawford being doubted because he only played with white tractor pulling types. Hope that helps

IIRC, I don't think people were too excited for Jett. But of course I could be wrong. Preemptory #PAYSTUBS

Jett was a late spring signing. He had a very good scouting grade (90 from ESPN) and had been pursued by BCS schools. He was considered something of a coup by RM when he was signed.

I made a point but not what you are saying it is. I have no not mis memory as I wasn't on board thus my query. I was wondering if those two got as much disrespect here as Crawford has.

I made a point but not what you are saying it is. I have no not mis memory as I wasn't on board thus my query. I was wondering if those two got as much disrespect here as Crawford has.

sorry to overpost on this thread but what I am saying is I followed Mccall and Evans all through their senior season, much as one can fromsuburban STL and thought they would be what they've turned out to be and I have the same feeling if not better about Crawford. Hearing some eyewitness impressions makes me even more confident.

Jett was a late spring signing. He had a very good scouting grade (90 from ESPN) and had been pursued by BCS schools. He was considered something of a coup by RM when he was signed.

As I recall Jett told people he was going to Saint Louis, then took an extra year of high school ball before coming.

As I recall Jett told people he was going to Saint Louis, then took an extra year of high school ball before coming.

Yes, but then there weren't any open scholarships available after Loe, McCall and Evans were signed. However, Smith and Jordan announced their transfers, so we were able to get Jett on board. Knowing that RM wanted Smith to stay, it seems likely in hindsight that Barnett was given the open scholarship left behind by Smith and Jordan was pushed out so that Majerus could sign Jett.

McCall was definitely perceived as the better recruit, but there was still plenty of excitement about Evans - and I don't ever remember it being suggested on this board that Evans was a "throw in" (presumably a package with McCall ala Tatum with Hughes).

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17662

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17830

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18594

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19038

Some raised legitimate questions about his ball handling, his defense (!) and wondered how he'd match up against quicker guards and bigger forwards than he faced in HS. There was even talk that he might not play much early on because of the depth in front of him.

At no point were people lamenting the fact that we wasted a scholarship on him - which is significant since we didn't have any scholarships available for the spring signing period until Jeff Reid made his departure official.

Thanks Duff for those memories.

One post was critical and suggested that we should have taken or concentrated on Clyburn over Evans, Just curious, where did Clyburn end up and how did he do?

Will Clyburn ended up going to Utah in 2010-11, had a great Jr season on a bad team (17.1 PPG, 7.8 RPG, shot 40% from 3) then transferred to Iowa St (after the Utah coach was fired) where his numbers dipped just a bit (3FG% from 40% to 30%), but he was still the leading scorer on a very good team.

You'll remember him as the player that Aaron Craft drew that dubious charge against in the Round of 32.

He would have been a nice get (although there's no guarantee he'd have come here) - and surely would have helped during the awful 2010-11 season, but in the end it's pretty clear Evans for 4 > Clyburn for 2.

Thanks Duff for those memories.

One post was critical and suggested that we should have taken or concentrated on Clyburn over Evans, Just curious, where did Clyburn end up and how did he do?

Clyburn was one hell of a player. I consider him the best of the near misses during the RM era. Clyburn is evidence that RM would go for a juco player on occasion. Clyburn was more of a perimeter player than DE. I think the two of them would have been just fine on the same team.

McCall was definitely perceived as the better recruit, but there was still plenty of excitement about Evans - and I don't ever remember it being suggested on this board that Evans was a "throw in" (presumably a package with McCall ala Tatum with Hughes).

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17662

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17830

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18594

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19038

Some raised legitimate questions about his ball handling, his defense (!) and wondered how he'd match up against quicker guards and bigger forwards than he faced in HS. There was even talk that he might not play much early on because of the depth in front of him.

At no point were people lamenting the fact that we wasted a scholarship on him - which is significant since we didn't have any scholarships available for the spring signing period until Jeff Reid made his departure official.

One of the threads suggested we stopped recruiting Clyburn after signing Evans. That simply is not true. In the spring of that year, Clybrun's final choice came down to Utah, Iowa State and SLU - http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700026113/Utah-Utes-basketball-Utes-sign-6-6-wing-player-from-Iowa-JC.html?pg=all

There was a time when it seemed that Utah was trying to poach players RM was recruiting. A year or two before they signed another juco we were recruiting. Their interest in Clyburn seemed to come out of nowhere and they got involved late. Oh well, how did that work out for you freaks from Utah. Their coach got fired, Clyburn left and they are back to sucking. RM truly was a genius to be able to build a big time program out there.

Agree on Mike, not so sure on Evans. While Rick was pretty adamant that Evans could be good I believe this board thought he was a throw in.

Evans signed first so how could he be a throw in? The two had no real connections that would indicate that one would come if the other did.

Prove it - I believe that Evans was seen as a good pick up - maybe not as good as McCall but not anything to be disappointed with. In fact it looks like Duff just proved you wrong. Alman sorry my use of "you" was incorrect as it related to your post - my bad.

I do recall several people being perplexed by the Jett signing. "Why do we need another guard"? On then there were a couple of midguided people who predicted he was going to transfer even before he stepped foot on the court.

I do recall several people being perplexed by the Jett signing. "Why do we need another guard"? On then there were a couple of midguided people who predicted he was going to transfer even before he stepped foot on the court.

Make that one misguided poster.