Mr Indiana

final 4 for player of the year but cant make first team?

Well all-state includes all classes and Blueitt and Lyles are 2 of the top juniors in the nation. With that said he still should have been on the first team. Hope he wins Mr. Basketball but I'm afraid they'll give it to Zak Irvin who is headed to Michigan next year.

Let me tie it all up for you.

1994 will not be leaving his current position to coach at SLU.

1982 was a classmate of mine. He was a year behind me in HS. His brother, Rob Harden, played a few games for Valpo U in the early 80's and was one heck of a character. He first played at Florida then transferred home to Valpo and after a few games flipped off the asst coach or head coach, no one is quite sure, except Rob, himself. He left the team and the next eligible season was playing at UNLV. Maybe he didn't appreciate the prayers in the huddle.

On the other hand Roger, the Mr. Basketball, was quiet, cool, collected and had an amazing career at Kentucky.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roger+harden+kentucky&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-tpbUe-tMaraygG044GQCg&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=653

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/where-are-they-now-roger-harden/article_fea60701-3aea-5537-81aa-927aeced2438.html

"The coaching in Indiana, on the high-school level, is so much better than anywhere else, especially with the teaching of the fundamentals."

This is why there are so many Div. I players from Indiana.

"I tell the kids that I was good not because I was a superior athlete, but because I worked hard."

Roger was a great guy and I'm sure he still is. Rob, not so nice.

(I'm kind of surprised Roger wasn't quoted as saying "No shots until you have passed the ball four times!" Roger is truly that kind of Indiana [and Kentucky] basketball guy)

Anyone amazed that the first Mr. Basketball in Indiana was black in 1939. For a state where the KKK was extremely powerful into the middle 1920's that is simply a most interesting fact. Also the fact that he wasn't from Gary, Ft Wayne or Indy but a small town, such as Franklin. I wonder if some people actually realized that he was African American.

"Anyone amazed that the first Mr. Basketball in Indiana was black in 1939. For a state where the KKK was extremely powerful into the middle 1920's that is simply a most interesting fact. Also the fact that he wasn't from Gary, Ft Wayne or Indy but a small town, such as Franklin. I wonder if some people actually realized that he was African American. "

George Crowe was a very classy and amazing man that had a very good major league baseball career, including a few years with the Cardinals as 1st baseman and pinch hitter extraordinaire. Big George has been given credit for the advancement of African Americans in baseball because of his quiet dignity in handling some ugly situations. Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson, Curt Flood, Bill White and Bob Gibson all have heaped praise upon Mr. Crowe for helping them adjust to less than stellar conditions in baseball at the time and to focus on the game and not the surroundings.

Also, I can't wait for Mike Crawford to start wearing Billiken Blue.

Anyone amazed that the first Mr. Basketball in Indiana was black in 1939. For a state where the KKK was extremely powerful into the middle 1920's that is simply a most interesting fact. Also the fact that he wasn't from Gary, Ft Wayne or Indy but a small town, such as Franklin. I wonder if some people actually realized that he was African American.

Link to an article about George Crowe:

http://media-server.therepublic.com/scripts/foxisapi.dll/wmsql.wm.request?ONEIMAGE&imageid=375043/

Wasn't aware of him so thanks for pointing it out.

Here's another terrific series of articles on Crowe. http://www.blackfives.com/george-crowe-life-place-time-part1/

Didn't start playing basketball until his Jr. year. The more I learn about his story the more I want to know.

Wish fulfilled.

I'd appreciate it if someone could provide a detailed history of Indiana basketball. The more unrelated to SLU the better.

You would say something like that since you're from Eagleton.

And it's my understanding that Sweetums is the largest employer in the city of Pawnee.

Crowe resolved to have fun with the game by not dwelling on the bigotry. But he acknowledged it wasn’t easy.

“It was hard,” he said. “Even though you wanted to put it aside, you couldn’t. It couldn’t be put aside. Putting it aside was doing your best to ignore it, and that wasn’t easy, either.

“That’s what you had to do. You had to play through it.”

I wonder with all of our complaining about little intrusions on "our" message boards if we could ever live up to what George Crowe, loser of a state championship to a team called the Hotdogs, WWII soldier, St.Louis Cardinal, one of the first African American players in MLB had to put up with in his lifetime. Shame, shame.

BTW, Fuzzy Vandivier's (legendary coach at Franklin, IN) grandson is a member of my church in south Indy