SLU-Mizzou

Pistol

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RM would be proud! I love the way he hammered home that argument. I miss the big guy for a variety for of reasons, but I would have enjoyed to have heard his take on this Big East stuff. He wouldn't shy away from commenting like so many.

It's kind of funny because if you look at Tigerboard the past couple days (and last few weeks for that matter) this has been one of their major focuses (all things SLU that is). Meanwhile, there are very few Mizzou related posts on this board.

Simply put, we have bigger fish to fry with the Big East, NCAA tourney, A-10 championships, recruiting, long term coaching situation, etc. than worrying about some game in December that likely won't happen anyway because one side is too chickensheat to do it.

Mizzou no longer has Kansas on the schedule twice a season. They need more regional presence. Those buy games early in the season aren't helping attendance.

The same is true for SLU. For this season at least, we're losing the nearby conference games with Butler and Xavier. And our non-conference schedule at home was pretty weak. It would help attendance for both.

Mizzou no longer has Kansas on the schedule twice a season. They need more regional presence. Those buy games early in the season aren't helping attendance.

The same is true for SLU. For this season at least, we're losing the nearby conference games with Butler and Xavier. And our non-conference schedule at home was pretty weak. It would help attendance for both.

+1000

While I love it, college hoops has a regular season problem. It garners little attention from casual fans in November and December, locally and nationally. Obviously the die-hards like us are paying attention, but most people are focused on football and care little about non-conference games and many don't start paying attention until January or even Feburary. That's why it's important to have some games that can create a buzz. No matter what Mizzou fans say/think, this game would sell out both arenas and draw significant attention from area fans, which makes it worth playing every year. I'm sure the KC folks don't care, but people in STL would, and let's face it, this side of the state matters more.

+1000

While I love it, college hoops has a regular season problem. It garners little attention from casual fans in November and December, locally and nationally. Obviously the die-hards like us are paying attention, but most people are focused on football and care little about non-conference games and many don't start paying attention until January or even Feburary. That's why it's important to have some games that can create a buzz. No matter what Mizzou fans say/think, this game would sell out both arenas and draw significant attention from area fans, which makes it worth playing every year. I'm sure the KC folks don't care, but people in STL would, and let's face it, this side of the state matters more.

TRUTH. The system has become 100% dependent on the NCAA Tournament. Programs will soon figure out they need to get butts in the seats for the whole season. It's hard to lay down a grand a season on tickets when you're only going to be interested in half of the matchups. Sprinkle in a few of these a season and you're golden.

My ideal schedule would include 1 early-season tournament somewhere, home-and-homes with regional opponents every year (Mizzou, Illinois, SIUC, MO State), one other "big" name coming in because of a home-and-home (like how we used to have UNC, Arizona, Gonzaga, et al come to Kiel once a year), us going out somewhere "big" because of a home-and-home, and the rest of the schedule filled out with buy games against more regional opponents (SIUE, UMKC, SEMO, et al). This gives us:

-Enough road games to be tested

-Enough strong opponents to be tested

-Early home games that would sell out or sell very well

-Buy games that actually have some interest because the schools have strong ties to the area

TRUTH. The system has become 100% dependent on the NCAA Tournament. Programs will soon figure out they need to get butts in the seats for the whole season. It's hard to lay down a grand a season on tickets when you're only going to be interested in half of the matchups. Sprinkle in a few of these a season and you're golden.

My ideal schedule would include 1 early-season tournament somewhere, home-and-homes with regional opponents every year (Mizzou, Illinois, SIUC, MO State), one other "big" name coming in because of a home-and-home (like how we used to have UNC, Arizona, Gonzaga, et al come to Kiel once a year), us going out somewhere "big" because of a home-and-home, and the rest of the schedule filled out with buy games against more regional opponents (SIUE, UMKC, SEMO, et al). This gives us:

-Enough road games to be tested

-Enough strong opponents to be tested

-Early home games that would sell out or sell very well

-Buy games that actually have some interest because the schools have strong ties to the area

i agree with the above as long as the total buy games is only 2 maybe 3 games at the most. i personally would rather have less games than go through the waste of watching 6 or 7 buy games regardless of the buy opponent.

It's kind of funny because if you look at Tigerboard the past couple days (and last few weeks for that matter) this has been one of their major focuses (all things SLU that is). Meanwhile, there are very few Mizzou related posts on this board.

Simply put, we have bigger fish to fry with the Big East, NCAA tourney, A-10 championships, recruiting, long term coaching situation, etc. than worrying about some game in December that likely won't happen anyway because one side is too chickensheat to do it.

I was just going to mention this. Little mention of Mizzou on here but SLU sure is a big topic on Powermizzou! My brother is a member of Powermizzou.com and he says there have been multiple threads on SLU the past few days. A few topics I found rather amusing:

1. screw SLU!
  2. Is NMST SLU's Norfolk State?

To be fair, he said a few threads started were "congrats to SLU" but those turned rather ugly by posters who didn't look too kindly upon the congratulations.

I have no problem with 5-6 buy games, especially early. Hey, everyone does it to find their legs so to say. But you know what, I really used to want the Mizzery game because it drew so much interest. But right now, I could care less if the pussycats want to schedule it or not. And one caveat I'd give them would be, "this is annual home and home" in perpetuity. And it would fit right in during this season of splendor if we did face them in the dance.

i agree with the above as long as the total buy games is only 2 maybe 3 games at the most. i personally would rather have less games than go through the waste of watching 6 or 7 buy games regardless of the buy opponent.

If we had a neutral tournament, that might include up to 2 buy games if it's in the same format as the one we played in this season. If not, many include weaker first-round opponents. So we get 1-2 there, for all intents and purposes.

Then if my wish came true and we had 2 home-and-homes with BCS or equivalent opponents going at any time, as well as 3 or 4 home-and-homes with SIUC, Illinois, Mizzou, and MO State, we'd only have room for about 4 buy games. I don't see it getting under that number.

To be fair, I got most of my 1700 posts on this board commenting on constant Mizzou posts from 2003-2010. It's much better now, but let's not pretend that this board hasn't talked plenty about Mizzou in the past.

I've always said I want the games to be played, so my position doesn't change. Seems like Mizzou probably wants an unbalanced 2 for 1 instead of home and home which is probably the only thing keeping it from happening.

To be fair, I got most of my 1700 posts on this board commenting on constant Mizzou posts from 2003-2010. It's much better now, but let's not pretend that this board hasn't talked plenty about Mizzou in the past.

I've always said I want the games to be played, so my position doesn't change. Seems like Mizzou probably wants an unbalanced 2 for 1 instead of home and home which is probably the only thing keeping it from happening.

Cheesy, that says way more about you than it does us.

I ventured over to that Mensa meeting they call a message board. More SLU posts there in the last few hours than SPUMAC talk here in years. Can't blame em' they're attracted to shiny objects and SLU is getting so much positive pub right now.

I've never started a post about Mizzou on this board, ever.

But you obviously feel a need to come on here and defend your team at an obsessive rate, while 99% of the posters on here have never once made a post on the Tigerboard. Tigernation might not give a crap about SLU and their fans, but you clearly do.

I've never started a post about Mizzou on this board, ever.

Replying to 2 week old threads that are off the main board counts as starting a thread on Mizzou if you ask me. You've done that plenty of times over the years.

Glad you got to hang out with some SLU fans over the weekend and witness a championship caliber team...

But you obviously feel a need to come on here and defend your team at an obsessive rate, while 99% of the posters on here have never once made a post on the Tigerboard. Tigernation might not give a crap about SLU and their fans, but you clearly do.

Eh I come here because I'm also a SLU fan.

Replying to 2 week old threads that are off the main board counts as starting a thread on Mizzou if you ask me. You've done that plenty of times over the years.

Glad you got to hang out with some SLU fans over the weekend and witness a championship caliber team...

I've probably done that a few times, so you're right (apologies!). I just think it's disingenuous to pretend like this board never discusses Mizzou because for many years there was a new post about Mizzou every day or two.

-if there is a school of thought on this board that there is too much mention of Mizzou, count me in that school

-if we are directly talking about scheduling, like in this thread(mostly), or recruiting, to me that is legit, the other stuff is crap, imo

Eh I come here because I'm also a SLU fan.

I've probably done that a few times, so you're right (apologies!). I just think it's disingenuous to pretend like this board never discusses Mizzou because for many years there was a new post about Mizzou every day or two.

You just admitted that you "spent your 1,700 posts commenting on constant Mizzou posts." You may be a SLU fan, but you rarely post a thing about SLU on here. At this point, your primarily role is as a Mizzou defender.

You just admitted that you "spent your 1,700 posts commenting on constant Mizzou posts." You may be a SLU fan, but you rarely post a thing about SLU on here. At this point, your primarily role is as a Mizzou defender.

I just know a lot less about SLU than you guys do so I have less to contribute to other threads, but I do read them.

I hate when people say they're fans of both teams. Decide who you would root for if they played head to head and stick to that team. Fuok fence sitters.