Recruiting - 2013

His constant internet yapping was too much in the end for JC. TTU might be a better fit. We're plenty good for now.

I'm guessing a lot of the unhip old school coaches think those minutes spent tweeting could of been used foul shot practicing..

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just seems like bad form to p!ss all over an 18 year old kid after the decision has been made. In all likelihood, it was a mutual parting of ways between SLU and Randy O and they both moved on a while ago. Yet, we have grown men who go to a message board and denigrate him for no real reason, other than him not coming to SLU after having been on the radar earlier.

I guess It just kind of grates on me to see the number of derogatory comments posted about him in the past few weeks. Perhaps it's just sour grapes, perhaps some feel he thought too highly of himself, perhaps others felt he used SLU to get other offers, but why the need to crap all over him after the fact? In the end, he's just another young man trying to figure out the next best step to take after high school, no different than countless others at this time of year. Its a confusing and hectic time; even more so for someone who is able to play D-1 basketball. These aren't easy and light decisions to make.

Sorry for the preachy nature of this post, but its just something that has been bugging me for a bit.

WHO you callin' "grown"?

Goodluck to Randy O, wish him the best at TTU. Early playing time on the second worse team in the Big 12. I believe he will do well as a player but will be fortunate to play in NCAA tournament game.

The only thing that p!sses me off is not being able to hear you in-Chaifetz folks talk about Guy Phillips and Agbeko, Yacoubou, Onwuasor, Arogundade, Dewey Evans and maybe that big kid coming from down near Glennon. I wanted to hear all about the horror ....

My negativity was really on the process. I do apologize if I insulted the kid over it. I will pull up box scores every now and then and see how those that got away are doing. I still do/did for Suggs, Griffey, those SWIC kids, Carter, Smiff, and others.

It happens. He saw a better opportunity at TTU. Hope he does well.

TTU had something we didn't: immediate playing time in a major conference.

I'm as wary of the "we stopped recruiting him" excuse as the next guy but I'm telling you we stopped recruiting him a while ago. This was not a Texas tech vs SLU type thing.

I'm as wary of the "we stopped recruiting him" excuse as the next guy but I'm telling you we stopped recruiting him a while ago. This was not a Texas tech vs SLU type thing.

The "heat" surrounding him took a big downturn when he opened it up to BCS schools. Maybe that's the time we backed off.

The "heat" surrounding him took a big downturn when he opened it up to BCS schools. Maybe that's the time we backed off.

From what I understand the interest from other schools had nothing to do with this recruiting situation. The fact that he was retaking the tests to get a qualifying score was an indication of the reason this whole thing tapered off. The great news is that everything I hear indicates that AY is a good student. Frankly, we cannot take chances in the academic arena at this point and I think the staff realizes that and does not want to do so.

randy O on TTU "I felt like coach Tubby Smith wanted me as family," Onwuasor said. "I’ve never had a coach at four in the morning take me to the airport as I was leaving. At most places, you don’t have a head coach do that, but he took it upon himself and I feel like that was something that showed he wanted me there."

I've been to Preston Smith International Airport at 4 am and luckily, since the terminal is a glorified Wal*Mart, you can do some real nice shopping. Guns up, Tech. Would have sealed the deal for me, too. Lubbock is beautiful this time of year.

From what I understand the interest from other schools had nothing to do with this recruiting situation. The fact that he was retaking the tests to get a qualifying score was an indication of the reason this whole thing tapered off. The great news is that everything I hear indicates that AY is a good student. Frankly, we cannot take chances in the academic arena at this point and I think the staff realizes that and does not want to do so.

totally agree.

Boston College just signed a 2013 recruit from Sweden. Things have become very quiet on the recruiting front, but maybe there is a foreign kid out there for the last scholarship or there are still quite a few uncommitted transfers looking for a home.

Boston College just signed a 2013 recruit from Sweden. Things have become very quiet on the recruiting front, but maybe there is a foreign kid out there for the last scholarship or there are still quite a few uncommitted transfers looking for a home.

Did we ever hear what happened to Joseph Young from Houston?

So it is starting to look possible that we we'll enter season with a scholly in our pocket. Brings me to two ?'s, this happen before/always/never? and good thing/bad thing? and also if not used this year do we just lose it like a time out or does it roll over like Mizzou in big dance?

So it is starting to look possible that we we'll enter season with a scholly in our pocket. Brings me to two ?'s, this happen before/always/never? and good thing/bad thing? and also if not used this year do we just lose it like a time out or does it roll over like Mizzou in big dance?

we can always have 13 full scholarships. i.e. we wont "lose it". the soderberg haters will be here in a few seconds to tell you how he always held back scholarships and it was a bad thing. my opinion, i'd rather hold back than give away to an undeserved player. soderberg's problem he did both!

we can always have 13 full scholarships. i.e. we wont "lose it". the soderberg haters will be here in a few seconds to tell you how he always held back scholarships and it was a bad thing. my opinion, i'd rather hold back than give away to an undeserved player. soderberg's problem he did both!

That sounds like a really awful combination.

1) Yes

2) I've borked a lot of women in my day. But if you don't use it, you don't lose it.

I think you just gave a perfect explanation why there were quite a few critics of Soderberg, or as you call them "haters." Wasting scholarships on poor players and players with academic risks coupled with then not using some available scholarships when you have roster needs is a recipe for failure.