Tickets Sold for St. Joes

kshoe

Couldn't it be argued they already have a dynamic pricing model of sorts. Basically any game that we don't think will sell out naturally (i.e. Butler, VCU) has been put on Groupon, living social and the post dispatch for half price. That seems pretty dynamic to me.

True. Given the cut that Groupon/Living Social/etc. takes, it's not necessarily the most cost-effective way of implementing a dynamic pricing model, but it's dynamic pricing nonetheless.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't it be argued they already have a dynamic pricing model of sorts. Basically any game that we don't think will sell out naturally (i.e. Butler, VCU) has been put on Groupon, living social and the post dispatch for half price. That seems pretty dynamic to me.

I agree that they really need to improve the distribution system though. Having thousands of people picking the tickets up at will call before the game is a recipe for disaster. Offer a print at home and remove the ridiculous service cost fees for doing so.

True. Given the cut that Groupon/Living Social/etc. takes, it's not necessarily the most cost-effective way of implementing a dynamic pricing model, but it's dynamic pricing nonetheless.

-Groupon/Living Social/etc take a hefty piece of those sales, if SLU did it on its own it could keep more of the revenue

-now the other side of this is those sites have HUGE followings so getting the word out is much easier there than something we try on our own

-do the Cardinals use Groupon/Living Social/etc?

There is software overhead in providing print-at-home ticket options. The service fees cover that overhead. You're not getting rid of those.

There would be overhead in a dynamic pricing system (even if it's an internal employee manually adjusting prices on the fly), and maybe 16-18 games per year in a 10.6k venue (roughly half of which is pre-sold) isn't enough volume to make it worthwhile (whereas the Cardinals have 81 games and 46k).

They don't necessarily need to go with some super advanced algorithm that the Cardinals or airlines use, but they could be taking more progressive steps to ensure the building is (close to) full.

2012-13 average attendance

OOC: 6.191

A10: 9,566

Maybe just rank games on a scale of 1 to 5 (weeknight buy game opponents are 1s, games against rivals/ranked opponents are 5s), with prices fluctuating as games get reclassified (i.e, St Joes might have been a 4 initially but are now a 3) and have across the board pricing adjustments at each tier.

Bottom line: Make as much money as possible on the marquee games, and draw as many fans as possible to every other game

There is software overhead in providing print-at-home ticket options. The service fees cover that overhead. You're not getting rid of those.

There would be overhead in a dynamic pricing system (even if it's an internal employee manually adjusting prices on the fly), and maybe 16-18 games per year in a 10.6k venue (roughly half of which is pre-sold) isn't enough volume to make it worthwhile (whereas the Cardinals have 81 games and 46k).

They don't necessarily need to go with some super advanced algorithm that the Cardinals or airlines use, but they could be taking more progressive steps to ensure the building is (close to) full.

2012-13 average attendance

OOC: 6.191

A10: 9,566

Maybe just rank games on a scale of 1 to 5 (weeknight buy game opponents are 1s, games against rivals/ranked opponents are 5s), with prices fluctuating as games get reclassified (i.e, St Joes might have been a 4 initially but are now a 3) and have across the board pricing adjustments at each tier.

Bottom line: Make as much money as possible on the marquee games, and draw as many fans as possible to every other game

This is a wonderful idea. The $40 tickets sell fine against Buter/VCU or on weekends against good opponents, but no one in their right mind is paying $40 to sit in the 200 level and watch the Bills play North Texas or Eastern Illinois on a Wednesday

No, the Cardinals don't use groupon/living social, nor do they need to. They can afford to do their own dynamic pricing without relying on those sites to bring the ticket sales in.

The Cardinals have used Groupon. They used them at least ten times last year for multiple games each time.

This is a wonderful idea. The $40 tickets sell fine against Buter/VCU or on weekends against good opponents, but no one in their right mind is paying $40 to sit in the 200 level and watch the Bills play North Texas or Eastern Illinois on a Wednesday

-I agree, it does not need to be to the full level of the Cardinals, but just what seem like common sense tweaks that should not require anywhere close to a full time person

Duffman - spot on. This doesn't have to be rocket science. SLU needs to stop printing face values on tickets. SLU needs to realize that games vs. North Texas on a Wednesday are not equal to games on a Thursday vs. a top 25 opponent.

Occupancy will drive rates. Start selling out Wednesday nights vs. North Texas and you will see an increase in the prices you can charge for tickets.

The parking fee was not go to the AD - it goes to Biondi just as the concession money. He bleeds from the AD where ever he can or wants. So, if you have a problem with the parking issue take it up with Biondi and not May/AD.

...and good luck with that.

Regards,

Jay Hammond

People who complain about parking for Chaifetz are absolute morons. I can't be any nicer about it. There is so, so much street parking available within a few blocks of the arena, it's impossible to miss. The meters are generally done by the time our games are happening, too. I'd routinely get a parking spot 10-15 minutes before tip within 4 blocks and be in just in time for the lineups. Usually I'd park over by Urban Chestnut and have my car right there after grabbing a postgame beer.

Free parking, every game. Not an issue at all.

Yeah parking is not keeping anyone from coming to the games. We are lucky to have the Compton garage and Laclede garage in close proximity along with a safe walking path.

Parking at the Savvis was 100% paid regardless. I don't think I have ever paid to park at Chaifetz.

Yeah parking is not keeping anyone from coming to the games. We are lucky to have the Compton garage and Laclede garage in close proximity along with a safe walking path.

Parking at the Savvis was 100% paid regardless. I don't think I have ever paid to park at Chaifetz.

-I disagree with this, while we have a lot of 'experienced' fans still at Chaifetz, we lost some that could park in Savvis garage and wheel right into the seating area

-now for 'experienced' folks they either need to give to the level to park at Weber (are there steps to deal with?), park at Compton garage and ride the golf cart or find other arrangements

okay...I'm going to take a step back and retract my previous sentiment

As bad as that looks, I just went through and counted every non-student seat for sale as of 7:00am this morning (fairly easy using a spreadsheet and counting the empty seats in the mostly full rows and subtracting from 20 or whatever), and only came up with 402. So while those $40 tickets* may prevent the game from selling out, they are still in a position to maintain their 9,566 A10 average for the season, and they might still be able to hit 10k* - which is close enough to a sellout.

<9k = PR disaster

9.5k = acceptable

10k = success

*300 tickets of the 402 are in those 4 $40 200 level sections (203, 204, 214, 215).

**I have no idea the student section/luxury box breakdown in relation to the 10,600 capacity

I just did a re-count of the tickets available online. It is now at 164 meaning an additional 238ish have sold since this morning. 136 of the 164 are 200s level $40 tickets, the rest are single seats in the $32 range. I think we are headed for a sell-out and don't have much to worry about.

Also of note: there are only single tickets available for the LaSalle game on 3/9.

It'd be nice to get a sellout there. Senior day. Last game of the regular season. Get a nice win against the last team we need a tiebreaker over. Get some good momentum before a few days of practice and then Brooklyn. A packed house could go a long way in that one.

It'd be nice to get a sellout there. Senior day. Last game of the regular season. Get a nice win against the last team we need a tiebreaker over. Get some good momentum before a few days of practice and then Brooklyn. A packed house could go a long way in that one.

-drink the complimentary Fosters and sing Waltzing Matlida for Cody

-drink the complimentary Fosters and sing Waltzing Matlida for Cody

+1. I will be in the house that day. My first home game of this season is also the last one, unfortunately.

I hope Cody's parents have one-way flights booked for sometime next week. Senior day, then Brooklyn, then the NCAA Tournament; they could be stateside for a month!