Tickets Sold for St. Joes

kshoe

I checked the SLU website this morning and there were a ton of tickets still available for Wednesday's game. I check now, and there are significantly fewer, however the most remaining ones are the $40 tickets in the 200 section of mid court.

Hopefully this is a function of them selling a bunch of tickets and not something wrong with the website earlier today or now. Either way, its still going to take a good two days of sales to get another sellout.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked the SLU website this morning and there were a ton of tickets still available for Wednesday's game. I check now, and there are significantly fewer, however the most remaining ones are the $40 tickets in the 200 section of mid court.

Hopefully this is a function of them selling a bunch of tickets and not something wrong with the website earlier today or now. Either way, its still going to take a good two days of sales to get another sellout.

Yeah, those $40 haven't been part of the Groupon/Living Social deals. Therefore, I would not expect them to sell as well. They did sell those $40 tickets out for Charlotte somehow, but that was a Saturday.

2 things...

1) The 200 level seats currently $32 should be $20, and the 200 level seats currently $40 should be $32

It's just ridiculous that the last row in 203 is priced same price as the unused player allocation that get released in 105.

2) The $6.50 service fee on those $40 tickets purchased online

$12 seats have a $4.50 (37.5%!!!!) service fee (which is bad enough, but still you can do a family of 4 for $66)

$20 seats have the same $4.50 (22.5%) service fee

$32 seats have a $4.75 (14.8%) service fee

$40 seats have a $6.50 (16.25%) service fee

So aside from those who are willing to drive down to midtown during Box Office hours, the prices are

$16.50

$24.50

$36.75

$46.50

I'm sure there are a lot of dads willing to bring their 2 kids to the game for $75 (figuring you can keep it around $100 even after parking and snacks), but not $110 or $140 before incidentals.

I have to concur on the $32 seats. When I came back for the Charlotte game, I bought one of those. The ticket was actually more expensive than my parent's season tickets but a whole section further back (second to last row in the corner).

Honestly, some of this annoys me. So many people on this board ***** and moan about how cheap Biondi is, no charter flights, coach cannot fly to Australia to recruit, on and on. Okay, fine - THEN DON'T ***** ABOUT PARKING PRICES OR TICKET PRICES!!! You cannot have it both ways - you cannot have a program that has all the perks of a big name program and then also ***** about the prices of parking and tickets.

I am not precisely sure of the slope on the elasticity of demand for Billiken tickets, but I am sure it is materially different than KU tickets or Duke tickets. Once it gets to that point, it will solve a lot of our financial problems, but we are not there yet.

And, I would certainly hope that someone who is paying for SEASON tickets (plus the seat fee of as much as $2,500) would get a break relative to the guy who comes to one or maybe two games a season and buys a couple of tickets.

The Cardinals sell over 3mm tickets a year and the average price is not cheap by any stretch. Parking is MORE expensive. Concessions are at least as expensive. The Billikens, in a very good year sell fewer than 200,000 tickets so it isn't as if the consuming public cannot afford the price of sports entertainment (yes, I know the Cardinals and the Billikens are different sports, but I, for one, would spend a lot more to go to a Billikens' game than to sit at a Cardinals' game, sweating my ass off, to watch a slooooooooooowwwwwww paced sport).

And as to a lot of people complaining about Billikens parking, try this. Go to a Rams, Cardinals, Blues game and in the midst of a bunch of people say something like this: "Can you believe those parking prices" and just listen to the bitching and moaning begin.

Look, I don't think us Billikens.commers should be getting angry at each other; we're all at the games. The question is how do you motivate the casual fan? I have to agree with the people who think there should be better deals on the more expensive tickets simply because of the fact of supply and demand. It has been illustrated that there is little demand for $40 tickets on a Wednesday night, so if they want to fill the building, have people pay to park and have a hot dog and a couple of coldies at the game, they might need to price the tix a little lower. If these same tickets will sell for $40 on a Saturday night then keep them at $40. I think the Cardinals call this "dynamic pricing", and it is obviously working for them in their quest to maximize revenue.

A lot of people complain about the parking. They should just make the garage free on game days with a ticket stub. I think it would justify the price of a ticket for some people

You forgot who's running this school...

If a ticket is $40 and parking is $5 then it would take one extra ticket sold to pay for 8 free cars. If parking is the catalyst for say 150 extra fans than that covers 1200 cars. Maybe 150 is a stretch and this is somewhat illogical, but my point is they really wouldn't lose much cash if it motivates some casual fans because 'fetz really doesn't have the most convenient parking situation if it's the middle of January

If a ticket is $40 and parking is $5 then it would take one extra ticket sold to pay for 8 free cars. If parking is the catalyst for say 150 extra fans than that covers 1200 cars. Maybe 150 is a stretch and this is somewhat illogical, but my point is they really wouldn't lose much cash if it motivates some casual fans because 'fetz really doesn't have the most convenient parking situation if it's the middle of January

Olive Compton is a 3 minute walk. Laclede garage is a 5-7 minute walk. There is a ton of free parking along Washington, Compton, Locust, any number of side streets. Moreover, there is free parking (assuming the game is at 7) all over Midtown. What the heck are people talking about there is no parking? If you're older, they have golf carts that can take you to the garage. Humps runs free shuttles that drop you off at the entrance. If you're wealthy enough, you can park within 30 seconds of the Arena. What could people possibly be complaining about?

Now if you're talking about ticket prices, or the overall game day experience inside Chaifetz, then I would listen. But this stuff about parking is ridiculous.

And regardless of the cost, being able to watch the St. Joe's Hawk mascot flap his little wings through pregame, the game, and halftime....without stopping....is worth the price of admission alone.

speaking of that fuoking mascot, i wonder if buscemi's free on wednesday. that thing is beyond annoying.

The Cardinals sell over 3mm tickets a year and the average price is not cheap by any stretch.

The Cardinals use dynamic pricing to ensure as many seats are filled for as many games as possible.

chaifetz_chart.jpg

^This^ is a problem. Lots of people are looking to see how many fans show up for this game. There will be negative publicity if we don't come close to selling out.

okay...I'm going to take a step back and retract my previous sentiment

As bad as that looks, I just went through and counted every non-student seat for sale as of 7:00am this morning (fairly easy using a spreadsheet and counting the empty seats in the mostly full rows and subtracting from 20 or whatever), and only came up with 402. So while those $40 tickets* may prevent the game from selling out, they are still in a position to maintain their 9,566 A10 average for the season, and they might still be able to hit 10k* - which is close enough to a sellout.

<9k = PR disaster

9.5k = acceptable

10k = success

*300 tickets of the 402 are in those 4 $40 200 level sections (203, 204, 214, 215).

**I have no idea the student section/luxury box breakdown in relation to the 10,600 capacity

okay...I'm going to take a step back and retract my previous sentiment

As bad as that looks, I just went through and counted every non-student seat for sale as of 7:00am this morning (fairly easy using a spreadsheet and counting the empty seats in the mostly full rows and subtracting from 20 or whatever), and only came up with 402. So while those $40 tickets* may prevent the game from selling out, they are still in a position to maintain their 9,566 A10 average for the season, and they might still be able to hit 10k* - which is close enough to a sellout.

<9k = PR disaster

9.5k = acceptable

10k = success

*300 tickets of the 402 are in those 4 $40 200 level sections (203, 204, 214, 215).

**I have no idea the student section/luxury box breakdown in relation to the 10,600 capacity

This is encouraging. I counted open seats online the day of the VCU game and came up with a number around 270 or so. I hope that means 9,500+ is a safe bet.

-and let folks print the tix at home and avoid will-call

There is an option to print at home now when you buy the tix online. However, they charge you $2.50 to do so vs. nothing if you pick up at will call. Seems bogus to me that if you print them yourself they ding you with a charge, but I've seen this with most other ticket operations as well. I suppose this is to cover the cost of setting up the print-at-home operation.

There is an option to print at home now when you buy the tix online. However, they charge you $2.50 to do so vs. nothing if you pick up at will call. Seems bogus to me that if you print them yourself they ding you with a charge, but I've seen this with most other ticket operations as well. I suppose this is to cover the cost of setting up the print-at-home operation.

wouldn't it even out with the money saved having less people at will call?

-I hope to see a dynamic pricing model in place for next season, makes sense

-and let folks print the tix at home and avoid will-call

Couldn't it be argued they already have a dynamic pricing model of sorts. Basically any game that we don't think will sell out naturally (i.e. Butler, VCU) has been put on Groupon, living social and the post dispatch for half price. That seems pretty dynamic to me.

I agree that they really need to improve the distribution system though. Having thousands of people picking the tickets up at will call before the game is a recipe for disaster. Offer a print at home and remove the ridiculous service cost fees for doing so.