Powermizzou at it again

Someone just posted the article Bernie wrote comparing the two. I love when the topic of SLU comes up on Powermizzou. 75% of the comments call SLU "irrelevant" which is odd when the threads reach dozens of responses. One of four posters praises Slu for their season, but most of them completely bash this team.

My favorite is how they constantly use themselves as a measuring stick, or comment on all of their success. Last time I checked, Mizzou and SLU have the same amount of Final Fours. In fact, SLU has a 1948 NIT Championship, which was considered equally impressive as the NCAA tourney back then.

Mizzou fans constantly argue the history of the Tigers, that they have been to considerably more tournaments. No one is arguing that. They win there. They win the mediocre prize: most times disappointing your fan base by exiting the tourney without accomplishing anything.

Delusional would sum their fanbase up perfectly. Void of any humility and overflowing with delusions of grandeur. I can't imagine a Michigan fan or a Florida fan, etc reading their posts.

Mizzou is welcome to play us as long as they come to Chaifetz twice and we'll go to COMO once. Until then, we have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing a lower-ranked team from a lesser conference.

I mean, what's the difference between playing them and SEMO or Mo State? Just another in-state public university if you ask me.

Someone just posted the article Bernie wrote comparing the two. I love when the topic of SLU comes up on Powermizzou. 75% of the comments call SLU "irrelevant" which is odd when the threads reach dozens of responses. One of four posters praises Slu for their season, but most of them completely bash this team.

My favorite is how they constantly use themselves as a measuring stick, or comment on all of their success. Last time I checked, Mizzou and SLU have the same amount of Final Fours. In fact, SLU has a 1948 NIT Championship, which was considered equally impressive as the NCAA tourney back then.

Mizzou fans constantly argue the history of the Tigers, that they have been to considerably more tournaments. No one is arguing that. They win there. They win the mediocre prize: most times disappointing your fan base by exiting the tourney without accomplishing anything.

Delusional would sum their fanbase up perfectly. Void of any humility and overflowing with delusions of grandeur. I can't imagine a Michigan fan or a Florida fan, etc reading their posts.

Why do you go and read their posts then? Mizzou fans on here saying how SLU sucks are plain stupid but you making dumb posts like this just asks for it. The SLU people who go to their site and report back what they are saying are as bad. Get a life, enjoy the year, maybe we can run into them in the tourney and settle it for them but quit reporting that they have dumb message board posters. This is America, dumb people are everywhere.

Why do you go and read their posts then? Mizzou fans on here saying how SLU sucks are plain stupid but you making dumb posts like this just asks for it. The SLU people who go to their site and report back what they are saying are as bad. Get a life, enjoy the year, maybe we can run into them in the tourney and settle it for them but quit reporting that they have dumb message board posters. This is America, dumb people are everywhere.

Internet tough guy!!! I read their posts because I've received degrees from the two schools and read powermizzou regularly. The level of groundless cockiness over there has started to get out of control however. Funny thing is, you just wasted your time responding to a post telling me not to waste my time responding. This is indeed America which affords you the option of skipping over this topic. In the mean time, I am going to attempt to procure a life as you have tritely suggested...

Someone not functioning correctly thought it was a good idea to give Charlie Tuna a show on 590. Today is the first day of the show and he decides to kick it off with talking about how SLU is not as good as people think and no one should get excited about beating Butler and VCU because they have not beat any good teams this year. I guess I imagined Butler beating IU and the Zags.

Someone not functioning correctly thought it was a good idea to give Charlie Tuna a show on 590. Today is the first day of the show and he decides to kick it off with talking about how SLU is not as good as people think and no one should get excited about beating Butler and VCU because they have not beat any good teams this year. I guess I imagined Butler beating IU and the Zags.

And Marquette (RPI #16) and North Carolina (RPI #22). That new afternoon lineup at 590 of Tuna and Strickland followed by Jack Clark is just chock full o' knowledge. :rolleyes:

was he high?

When will STL sports radio realize there isn't enough talent for the 15 different stations? And when will they realize the "talent" they have on air really isn't that good to begin with...

And that idiots like Slaten and Tuna just try to get a rise out of their listeners, and people take the bait every time.

Not sure what in that thread made the OP feel the need to come over to Billikens.com and post about it. There were a few idiots and different opinions but a decent chunk of that thread was complementary to SLU

Some of the posts from that thread.

I don't see anything to argue with. I think the point that SLU has players that have been in the system for the long term, while MIZZOU has players that are still learning to play with each other is spot on, and explains a lot of what we're seeing this year. If our Tiger team had been able to "grow up" together, I think we'd be seeing very different results.
Just as an aside Cowherd said (last week on his show) to put $100 on SLU to the Final Four. I don't know if I'd go that far, but the Bills have been impressive.
Sounds like SLU has the type if team we had last year. You can't have that every year.
I remember a team from last season that was hitting on all cylinders and then lost in to a #15 Seed Norfolk State. I could actually root for SLU if not for their fans who seem to hate Mizzou and Bernie making constant comparisons between the teams. SLU isn't a rival, isn't in our conference and is as far as I am concerned irrelevant.
Dumb post, IMO. They play the games for good reasons. SI's pre-season top 10 included kU at #3, UK at #4, NCState at #5 and UCLA at #10. Wasted talent is always and forever. Ability does not equal achievement.
SLU is an excellent basketball TEAM. They work like dogs. They are smart. They execute their plans. They are selfless. They have nerve. They are very special.
We might rally and make a run, but it would be a fluke. Nothing we have shown, to date, would lead one to believe we can play good tournament basketball.
Bernie's column is pertinent, to anyone who lives in the state's largest market. His assessment is spot on.
Bingo

Especially since SLU plays with so much discipline that we sometimes sorely lack - the comparisons are natural.
They are definitely better than us. They are light years ahead of us as a TEAM. Which is why our team should feel like for the way they've played this season. The talent on mizzou and slu is not comparable and its not even close. My post is not dumb but it does point out that we should be ashamed we are not as good of a team as slu. We have too much talent to be playing second fiddle in our own state to a team that, imo, shouldn't have the talent to keep up with ours. My focus is how bad we've played, not on slu who has taken care of business this year.
If you like basketball, you have sold yourself short the last 2 years by watching or following only one or the other. Last year's Mizzou team and this year's SLU team are fun to watch and special terams regardless of Norfolk St. or whatever eventually befalls SLU this year. They both have 2 common threads, 3-4 really good guards and a selfless approach to the game.
I'm not a SLU fan, but they are a cool team. I'm really enjoying watching them do their thing. Appreciated their Butler win Friday night - hostile venue vs. HIGHLY motivated and well-coached opponent with home cooking - more than any game of ours all season. Very admirable group of underdogs.

We aren't a team, really. Bunch of guys playing for themselves. If enough of them have good nights, we can win, but the whole doesn't hold up under pressure.

As noted above, the comparisons are inevitable - in this part of the world, anyway. And they aren't flattering.
Really is amazing. Not sure why it's tough for people to be able to root for Mizzou but appreciate what SLU is doing.
SLU goes from unranked to 18th and 19th in the polls. Good for them.
This is not meant to be an attack. If we were in a bar we'd be smiling talking about this, but what SLU has done this year is unbelievable considering the circumstances. Their coach was hospitalized and couldn't coach as planned.

I want to know what anyone thinks our record would be if our head coach died on December 2nd?

Since December 1st (day before Majerus passed) SLU is 18-2, including 5-1 on the road in conference play, has currently won 9 straight, and is now 4-1 against ranked opponents. Considering that Majerus died on December 2nd, that is absolutely amazing regardless of conference affiliation, strength of schedule, and talent level. Yes as you selectively pointed out, one of those 2 losses out of 20 games was 82-80 in OT against a team that shot 55% from the field. In other words about once a year almost everybody gets Norfolked or Rhodied. With the exception of the teams earning #1 seeds in March, it happens to almost every team in the country every year. That is why when they list tournament resumes it usually includes "bad losses".

I think the rabble rouser, rivalry, arrogant SLU fan issue is about 90% imagined and 10% real.

I have been out town for the past 3 weeks and so I have not had an opportunity to experience what is happening with the Missouri people. I ran into two guys - separately - this morning that I talk a little basketball with and they are both big Missouri fans but at best have casual SLU interest . When I left, they were casually supportive of SLU but that was when Missouri was still considered better and SLU had not really gone on their big run - this morning, I was rather surprised at the venom that was coming from each of them. I had never heard it before. I guess the BM article struck a nerve. Along with a lot of other things, one told me that these are RM's kids and so what is happening is not something that is normal. I asked him if last year's Missouri record that Haith had was unusual since they were Anderson's kids. His response was that Haith has all these big time stars coming in next year so this is no big deal just wait and see. I told him that big time stars only count once they pan out. Things happen, injuries, academic issues, homesickness that might keep them from reaching their potential so only time will tell. He then said well "suitcase Anderson" had the kids quite on him and he refused to recruit BJ Young at Missouri because he knew he was leaving for AR. I realized that he was out of control at this point and finished up with well, I guess Haith should have given the National Coach of the Year Award back since last year those were Anderson's kids. The second guy simply refused to even want to acknowledge SLU's national ranking - it was as if it never happened. They really need to get a grip on themselves.

I have been out town for the past 3 weeks and so I have not had an opportunity to experience what is happening with the Missouri people. I ran into two guys - separately - this morning that I talk a little basketball with and they are both big Missouri fans but at best have casual SLU interest . When I left, they were casually supportive of SLU but that was when Missouri was still considered better and SLU had not really gone on their big run - this morning, I was rather surprised at the venom that was coming from each of them. I had never heard it before. I guess the BM article struck a nerve. Along with a lot of other things, one told me that these are RM's kids and so what is happening is not something that is normal. I asked him if last year's Missouri record that Haith had was unusual since they were Anderson's kids. His response was that Haith has all these big time stars coming in next year so this is no big deal just wait and see. I told him that big time stars only count once they pan out. Things happen, injuries, academic issues, homesickness that might keep them from reaching their potential so only time will tell. He then said well "suitcase Anderson" had the kids quite on him and he refused to recruit BJ Young at Missouri because he knew he was leaving for AR. I realized that he was out of control at this point and finished up with well, I guess Haith should have given the National Coach of the Year Award back since last year those were Anderson's kids. The second guy simply refused to even want to acknowledge SLU's national ranking - it was as if it never happened. They really need to get a grip on themselves.

AND THAT IS WHY WE HATE mi$$ouri

That's funny, I always assumed that Tuna was to busy feeding cocaine to young girls to have another radio show. Guess you can be surprised every day.

Not sure what in that thread made the OP feel the need to come over to Billikens.com and post about it. There were a few idiots and different opinions but a decent chunk of that thread was complementary to SLU

Some of the posts from that thread.

STLFan,

You are correct in that the thread turned very complimentary of SLU. I was referring to the 5 or 6 topics with Slu's name in them I've seen at powermizzou the past month or so. Those usually started and ended with SLU bashing with a few positive comments sprinkled in. Additionally, most of those complimentary posts in the most recent thread occurred after I had posted on here. It started out like the typical SLU bashing thread but I think people are now realizing that SLU is a team to give proper recognition.

In the end, I know I shouldn't care what people think but I guess I had to do some venting. From here on out, we'll let SLU's play do the talking!

Charlie Tuna is still alive?!?!?! I remember going to my car around 1am in the CWE 7 or 8 years ago. He was walking around aimlessly in the Tom's Bar and Grill parking lot. He looked the opposite of sober.