Andy Katz thoughts

jzstldc

Here is thoughts on Crews in the most recent Andy Katz posting on ESPN in case anybody is interested.

1. Saint Louis and Jim Crews are respecting the season and not making the next head coach a distraction. This season has been about this team and the late Rick Majerus. It is a selfless act by Crews, who has filled in for Majerus exceptionally well and deserves consideration for national coach of the year. According to Saint Louis, there isn't a rush to push for the naming of a permanent head coach. I respect that decision. But let's not dismiss what Crews has done under extraordinary circumstances. He had to take over a team not knowing if Majerus would return in the summer, only to learn he was gravely ill and then be there for his funeral. Crews was a moderately successful coach but just at tough locations in Evansville and Army. I'm not sure too many people could have handled this situation any better than he has done. The entire staff gets credit. If he wants the full-time coaching job, and at the appropriate time after the season, then this search should be done.

2. Ryan Kelly is now doing individual workouts, according to the Duke staff, but not contact drills. There is growing optimism that Kelly will return before the end of the regular season. Duke has a monster week with games at Virginia and hosting Miami, giving the Blue Devils a legitimate shot to still catch the first-place Hurricanes, whom they trail by two games. But that isn't the real issue here. If Kelly comes back for the ACC tournament and the NCAA tournament and is at least somewhat effective in creating attention for the defense and take some pressure off Mason Plumlee then the Blue Devils have to be considered one of the contenders for the national title.

3. I love that Indiana coach Tom Crean constantly is looking for outside sources of support and teaching from other sports. He has had Tony LaRussa speak to his team and in years past sought out advice on how franchises are built across all sports, including tradition-rich ones like the Montreal Canadiens. Of course, he has a great resource in the family in his two brother-in-laws. So it was of no surprise that when Jim Harbaugh, the coach of the 49ers, was in Indianapolis he stopped by for practice last week and spent time with IU point guard Yogi Ferrell and talking to him about court vision, much like a quarterback. Crean said the talk was beneficial.

Katz just tweeted this:

"Just had Saint Louis coach Jim Crews on our podcast. Once link is up. A must listen to for SLU/A-10 fans."

For those that are internet-challenged, this podcast can be found on ESPN's Men's Basketball homepage when it becomes available.

I loved when he talked about how the players will often explain to him how things are supposed to run, etc.He also said that prior to every game last year, Majerus would just enter the room and write on the white-board two things, Defend and Rebound. This year, the same two words appear on the board before every game and while he's not sure who puts it up, it's always there. Pretty cool. Obviously Crews deserves a lot of credit for the success of this season, but this is a special group of players who have taken what they learned over the past 2 or 3 seasons under RM and applied it beautifully. Pretty remarkable.

I loved when he talked about how the players will often explain to him how things are supposed to run, etc.He also said that prior to every game last year, Majerus would just enter the room and write on the white-board two things, Defend and Rebound. This year, the same two words appear on the board before every game and while he's not sure who puts it up, it's always there. Pretty cool. Obviously Crews deserves a lot of credit for the success of this season, but this is a special group of players who have taken what they learned over the past 2 or 3 seasons under RM and applied it beautifully. Pretty remarkable.

While it sounds cool to the national media that he doesn't know who is putting those words up there it came out around RM's death that it was Cody writing it up there every time.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="TheA_Bomb" data-cid="346337" data-time="1361811398"><p>

Maybe this National Level inteview will help dispel the concern some have that Coach Crews is not a salesman of the program.</p></blockquote>

Well, I'm glad he accepted the interview request, but I wouldn't say he did much selling of the program. He answered the questions he was asked and (appropriately) deflected questions about his future with the team. I think he could have picked a spot to say something like "whoever coaches this team next year will have a beautiful arena to play in. It's great that people are now seeing what SLU And coach Majerus were committed to building. I love the student and local support these kids are getting and the future should be bright. Having said that, we're focused on St. Joe's and finishing the regular season strong"

But, I don't think he did anything to hurt the

They wrote an article about that in the PD. It is the one where they talked about the dog tags that said "I dont like Cody. I Love Cody:" etc... Cody admitted that it was he and he said everyone would now know becuase that interview (and following newspaper article) were the first time he'd admitted it. Odd that the same story came up again almost 2 months later.