I've seen enough....

BIG BILL FAN

SMU is doing the coach in waiting thing with Brown and Jankovich. I don't think it is a good idea for numerous reasons. Guy A could tank so why would you retain a member of his staff? Guy A could get into some NCAA trouble? Guy B could bolt. This has mostly happened in CFB see UT and FSU.

So to make everyone happy here is our composite coach:

Great Recruiter

Great evaluater of talent

X&Os

Saleseman of the Program

Squeeky Clean

Won't use SLU as a stepping stone

Assistant at Name Program

Already has HC experience and success

Can win right away with the team we have

It think it be cool if we could find a guy that was assistant to 2 HOF coaches. Maybe was a player on a D1 National Championship team. A guy that would run a similar system to Majerus but maybe score a few more points. A guy we knew could match up against Stevens and Shaka. It would really be a coup if we got one of the guys that is garnering some publicity this year for National Coacoach of the Year. A guy that could get SLU ranked and win the conference. That'd be awesome.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SMU is doing the coach in waiting thing with Brown and Jankovich. I don't think it is a good idea for numerous reasons. Guy A could tank so why would you retain a member of his staff? Guy A could get into some NCAA trouble? Guy B could bolt. This has mostly happened in CFB see UT and FSU.

Great Recruiter

X&Os

Saleseman of the Program

Squeeky Clean

It think it be cool if we could find a guy that was assistant to 2 HOF coaches. Maybe was a player on a D1 National Championship team. A guy that would run a similar system to Majerus but maybe score a few more points. A guy we knew could match up against Stevens and Shaka. It would really be a coup if we got one of the guys that is garnering some publicity this year for National Coacoach of the Year. A guy that could get SLU ranked and win the conference. That'd be awesome.

yep. pay crews 750k a year, pay coach harry 500k. harriman recruits, keeps the dudes loose, crews is free to do his military . we maintain EXCELLENT continuity w/ the current players, harry brings in some exciting new ones, both are making much more money than they ever thought they would, and when crews gets tired of the game, harry steps in and we're still rolling. i like this a lot. give harriman whatever signing bonus it takes to come back.

yep. pay crews 750k a year, pay coach harry 500k. harriman recruits, keeps the dudes loose, crews is free to do his military . we maintain EXCELLENT continuity w/ the current players, harry brings in some exciting new ones, both are making much more money than they ever thought they would, and when crews gets tired of the game, harry steps in and we're still rolling. i like this a lot. give harriman whatever signing bonus it takes to come back.

What has Harriman done to warrant this?

Great Recruiter

X&Os

Saleseman of the Program

Squeeky Clean

I am 100% in agreement with the Army Officer.

I agree with Westy. Why do some people think Harriman is ready for a head coaching job? By all accounts he is a great guy. He was key to recruiting Ellis (hit), Loe (hit) and Salicich (miss). To me, he is a hired gun to bring in players from that part of the world. We don't know if he is capable of more than that. Much less be a head coach.

I agree with Westy. Why do some people think Harriman is ready for a head coaching job? By all accounts he is a great guy. He was key to recruiting Ellis (hit), Loe (hit) and Salicich (miss). To me, he is a hired gun to bring in players from that part of the world. We don't know if he is capable of more than that. Much less be a head coach.

That's why I said sit behind Crewes for a few years... Pretty small sample size for your recruiting example as well. I'm sure he's had a hand in getting a few of the other guys we have too. And it also appears that Australia is a good recruiting ground, it sure would be nice to have (I'm guessing) the only Australian (foreign?) head coach in major CBB.

If I was Chris May there are two things I'd have to be convinced of before hiring Crews long term:

1) That he really wants to be head coach and is willing to put in the work 365 days a year, including long days in the summer in AAU gyms, to make this really work. My understanding that last year he really went point to point on the regular season that he didn't even take the charter flight home after we lost in Columbus, he was done. Yes, he came back for the awards ceremony and obviously took more daily control once RM's health became an issue. Does he want this to be a 6 month a year job or a 12 month a year job?

2) That he can really get it done on the recruiting trail. Doing so will require changes to the existing coaching staff and it will require JC being a closer in the living room. I don't know enough about the man to know if he can close on the recruits but I suspect May has an opinion on that one.

There are some obvious benefits to hiring Crew long term which include the job he has done this year, the continuity for next season, the continuity with whatever recruiting they have been doing this year, the likelihood that he won't look to leave or get a raise after one good year the way some young hotshot would, etc. but despite these positives you have to have a positive answer to the two questions above before you can hire him.

If we were to switch next year, wouldn't we want a coach with the same style of play as Crews/RM? These guys seem to really be groomed for this type of basketball, and how hard would it be to adapt to a completely new system as a senior? Right now we are in a groove, and that really might be dusrupted with a change in direction.

Bills 10 has the answer. We've got a good core coming back next year. So we don't really want to tinker with that and cause confusion. That said, the program has to find a killer AC who could sell ice to Eskimos. Pay him well and tell him he's got the controls after JC leaves if he performs. One thing I don't understand about college sports that differs from the business world is you can't seem to hang the carrot out there for the underlings. X and Zaga have proven year after year you don't need to go outside to improve your program. You can do it from the inside, but just tell the next guy in line that the job's his if he works his arse off and does what he's supposed to do, ie recruit and learn all the aspects of being a HC. Heck, if he can recruit he's already done about 70% of the job.

Soderberg's a prime example. The guy knew his Xs and Os which he learned under Bennett. Problem was he couldn't deliver an alkie to an open bar at a wedding. UW must have sensed this so they didn't keep him.

I don't know how we let JC go if he takes us to the tourney and we do well, say sweet 16. But if May has concerns about his ability to recruit, then hire an AC who can and tell him he's the successor if he does the job.

1) One yr deal? What recruit will come for a guy with a one yr deal?

2) I am aware of Jared Drew. Good recruit. But it is rare that I call 6'4" 205 a "big". RL 6'11", CE 6'8", DE 6'5" but long, incredibly tough & savvy inside, an exception, I will call him a big... CR 6'8", GG 6'6" w/muscles, and JM 6'11". 6 Bigs.

The one year contract is what Crews is on right now - that is what I was referring to. When Drew was signed they said he was 6'6". DE plays forward and he is 6'5". Yes, he is a wing but if he plays a position like DE then in essence he is forward.

The one year contract is what Crews is on right now - that is what I was referring to. When Drew was signed they said he was 6'6". DE plays forward and he is 6'5". Yes, he is a wing but if he plays a position like DE then in essence he is forward.

We all know Crews has a one yr deal., we were discussing his future. The way you wrote it implied you were suggesting we give him another one yr deal. OK, fine, whatever. Either way, if we go with Crews, we need to give him a minimum 3 yrs, maybe 4-5.

RE: Drew, he is 6'4", 205, I hear he is quick, but a shooter more than a slasher like DE. DE is very long and strong and aggressive and can post up, get some rebounds in traffic. So I give him the "big" status. At this point I cannot see that in what we know of Drew. 6'4" 205 big?

Bigs to me are 1) 6'6" or taller muscle type bangers like BC was or GG is, or 2) 6'8" or taller. Again, I squeeze DE in as a big, he is a rare exception at 6'5".

If you want to call Drew a big, fine, good luck. I think he will be a good player but not a big. Curious, JB is 6'5", plays the "3" a lot. To you, is he a big?

A KEY that Majerus brought to the program was, for the first time ever, we enjoy 6 bigs at SLU (if you include DE as I do). Never, ever, before, to my knowledge, have we had a deep roster of credible bigs like this... and the way I see it we have none in this yrs freshman class or coming in next year. So after next yr we might crash if we do not get some more big bodies in here. OK?

We all know Crews has a one yr deal., we were discussing his future. The way you wrote it implied you were suggesting we give him another one yr deal. OK, fine, whatever. Either way, if we go with Crews, we need to give him a minimum 3 yrs, maybe 4-5.

RE: Drew, he is 6'4", 205, I hear he is quick, but a shooter more than a slasher like DE. DE is very long and strong and aggressive and can post up, get some rebounds in traffic. So I give him the "big" status. At this point I cannot see that in what we know of Drew. 6'4" 205 big?

Bigs to me are 1) 6'6" or taller muscle type bangers like BC was or GG is, or 2) 6'8" or taller. Again, I squeeze DE in as a big, he is a rare exception at 6'5".

If you want to call Drew a big, fine, good luck. I think he will be a good player but not a big. Curious, JB is 6'5", plays the "3" a lot. To you, is he a big?

A KEY that Majerus brought to the program was, for the first time ever, we enjoy 6 bigs at SLU (if you include DE as I do). Never, ever, before, to my knowledge, have we had a deep roster of credible bigs like this... and the way I see it we have none in this yrs freshman class or coming in next '6"year. So after next yr we might crash if we do not get some more big bodies in here. OK?

I think you are confused - why would you have brought up the idea of not firing him - he does not have a contract for next year so what could he be fired from - whatever. All I said is that when Drew was signed they reported him at 6'6" - if that was wrong then so be it but all I can do is work off the info given.

No way drew has the frame to be a big man. DE and BC weren't the tallest guys but they have a sturdy base to push guys around. Even if Drew spends every waking moment in the weight room he won't be able to push other big guys around. I think he'll be a great asset on the wing if his skills come out and he might get the occasional plays inside a la CE

I too have seen enough. Beginning of the season, I thought he was a great guy for an interim position, but was highly suspect going forward. Now, not so much. Majerus knew what he was doing when he brought Crews in and it is showing.

As for as recruiting, the designated "recruiter" hot new assistant seems not to work at SLU and I think Romar proved that. And if they do have success, they are looking to leave early anyway. A story is what you need. Spoonhour could say, I just took two of the least talented teams in college basketball to the NCAA tourney, selling out stadiums, good conference. Majerus was on ESPN, known as one of the best coaches, could say he was going to turn this around. And even then, he was going after some under the radar guys.

Crews is starting to get some coach of the year talk. He is the guy that outcoached Brad Stevens twice and Shaka Smart. The guy Majerus handpicked due to his ability to coach. Nice arena, good conference, national TV games. Polished guy. Looks like he could play some hoops now, a young 59. And he isn't going anywhere. This is not a hard sell to recruits. The more stories about Crews/SLU/Majerus, the more he is a name and essentially the best option for recruiting at SLU.

Anyway, in recruiting, it is more important to be able to evaluate players, players that you can develop to be successful. Not a marketing guy but talent scouts.

This is assuming he wants to stay of course.

I too have seen enough. Beginning of the season, I thought he was a great guy for an interim position, but was highly suspect going forward. Now, not so much. Majerus knew what he was doing when he brought Crews in and it is showing.

As for as recruiting, the designated "recruiter" hot new assistant seems not to work at SLU and I think Romar proved that. And if they do have success, they are looking to leave early anyway. A story is what you need. Spoonhour could say, I just took two of the least talented teams in college basketball to the NCAA tourney, selling out stadiums, good conference. Majerus was on ESPN, known as one of the best coaches, could say he was going to turn this around. And even then, he was going after some under the radar guys.

Crews is starting to get some coach of the year talk. He is the guy that outcoached Brad Stevens twice and Shaka Smart. The guy Majerus handpicked due to his ability to coach. Nice arena, good conference, national TV games. Polished guy. Looks like he could play some hoops now, a young 59. And he isn't going anywhere. This is not a hard sell to recruits. The more stories about Crews/SLU/Majerus, the more he is a name and essentially the best option for recruiting at SLU.

Anyway, in recruiting, it is more important to be able to evaluate players, players that you can develop to be successful. Not a marketing guy but talent scouts.

This is assuming he wants to stay of course.

+1 perfectly said

I think you are confused - why would you have brought up the idea of not firing him - he does not have a contract for next year so what could he be fired from - whatever. All I said is that when Drew was signed they reported him at 6'6" - if that was wrong then so be it but all I can do is work off the info given.

RE: Jim Crews, hey I think it is confusing, whatever it is you are trying to say. Yes he has a one yr deal. Then, what are you trying to say?

RE: Jared Drew, the SLU web site lists him as 6'4" 205. Therefore, not a big.