VCU Board

if the kids love it and it increases the student enthusiasm and attendance, go at it.

I think we should embrace the philosophy that says, "act like you've been there." Which means take the W in stride. However, if, as Broy says, the kids want to do it do it if keeps 'em excited and coming back for more.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board!

Question: What's all this havoc stuff? Do we really need to capitalize it? Is it really and proper noun? Regardless, let me introduce you to the new and improved Saint Louis University Defense. You have my permission to use the term either capitalized or not, though it is trademarked so you'll have to respect that.

TORTURE.

It starts when future Dallas Cowboy defensive back Jordair Jett puts a body on you and ends when Cody Ellis draws a charge. WAY more frustrating than havoc......

You only have to capitalize the A B)

Bobby, I have pretty much not had a problem with what you have posted for the last year. However, this statement is just blatantly false, 100%. The athletic department asked myself and slufan13 if we were going to storm and after a decision among the first 5 rows or so (we went back and forth several times on the decision between 5 minute and 3 minute marks) we finally decided to do it. The athletic department and security then evacuated most, if not all, of the media from in front of the section and allowed everyone to come down. The reason they did not move the barricade all the way was for safety which I'm totally on board with. You don't want a great victory like that spoiled by a serious injury or death of a student.

My mistake then. I was not sitting in the student section.

From my angle, I just happened to see my classmate and current SLU Associate AD Andy Doeschot trying to keep kids back...he's the guy in the grey suit pictured here (photo courtesy of the UNews)...

For the sake of safety, etc., I commended their efforts. For the sake of letting students be students, I did not understand the initial barricade. Thank you for clearing that up. I guess you had to be there (in the student section, that is).

My mistake, 05. You are right, we don't want to have another Riverfront Stadium/The Who incident on our hands...

crowd-final.jpg

During Spoonhour's tenure, "Spoonball" was one of the top attractions in college basketball, ranking in the top 10 in attendance for several seasons. In 1997-98, Saint Louis ranked sixth nationally in average attendance.

.....we had bandwagon periods also

Everybody has bandwagon periods, I'm just glad ours is now as opposed to the late 90s

I'm as pissed as the next guy that Chaifetz isn't sold out every single game, but sell outs don't really impress me. I would be impressed if VCU played somewhere big time. Unfortunately, VCU houses its games in a multi purpose facility that would rank at the bottoms of the MVC in capacity. Mid major.

We make the best out of what we have, I would put our game day atmosphere up against anybody in the A10.

$12M in upgrades is being planned to the Stu and seating will probably end up in the 9k range

Have to say I am familiar with the SLU program a bit, my dad was born and raised(went to Beaumont High) and one of my 2nd cousins Kenny Brown played for the Billikens in early 2000.

Should be a fun game tonight, hopefully the Rams win though.

Enjoying the back and forth with you guys keep it up 9pm is a long time away.

one of my 2nd cousins Kenny Brown played for the Billikens in early 2000.

Does anyone else remember the guy that used to yell "SHOOT THE BALL KENNY!!!" every time Kenny Brown touched the ball?

Kenny was a very solid interior defender, but his offensive game was somewhat lacking.

That's not saying much........Outside of Butler, X, Dayton and SLU.......bunch of highschool gyms....

How do you see VCU's chances getting in to the New Big East?

Wouldnt say Richmond has a high school gym but I get your point.

After reading this line in the ESPN article I like our chances alot more. VCU is taking steps to show their value though $70M in planned spending towards Athletic Dept upgrades ($26M towards the basketball program) and we added Womens Lacrosse out of the blue this past week.

The new league, yet to be formed, is expected to have 12-to-14 members. The most likely candidates to join the Catholic schools, sources have told ESPN, are Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Dayton, Saint Louis, Richmond and VCU.

Wouldnt say Richmond has a high school gym but I get your point.

After reading this line in the ESPN article I like our chances alot more. VCU is taking steps to show their value though $70M in planned spending towards Athletic Dept upgrades ($26M towards the basketball program) and we added Womens Lacrosse out of the blue this past week.

Serves me right for not checking every arena in the A10. I like Smart better than Giannini so I 'd rather be in a league with VCU than Richmond for now.......assuming Shaka stays........

I'd trade him for Cory right now.......

I always liked Kenny. Nothing flashy, just a very good serviceable workhorse center. I believe he started the 2 years he was with the Bills. Also, wasn't he at the Bills alum night we had a few games ago?

Like Rich, I wish we had him now.

Have to say I am familiar with the SLU program a bit, my dad was born and raised(went to Beaumont High) and one of my 2nd cousins Kenny Brown played for the Billikens in early 2000.

Should be a fun game tonight, hopefully the Rams win though.

Enjoying the back and forth with you guys keep it up 9pm is a long time away.

Kenny played for SLU when I was there. One of the best post defenders in SLU history. That's not hyperbole, either. He played some of the best bigs in the country night in and night out in CUSA those two years and they rarely ended up with double digits against him. He frustrated the out of a bunch of future NBA players.

I know someone else commented on his offense- yeah, not the primary selling point of his game. Got it done in close, but his shot release was off his palm. Don't see that too often. Still, his defense more than compensated for any offensive shortcomings.

Richmond fans might disagree but F them.

It helps VCU being the big dog in town but 33 straight sell outs in a row is impressive no matter how you try and down play it.

Wasn't your board just talking about how BS that 'stat' of sellouts was? Small stadium, tricky accounting, and you need to give away loads of tickets for free every game (this from your own board). Also, your student body is 22,000+, ours is around 9,000.

I always liked Kenny. Nothing flashy, just a very good serviceable workhorse center. I believe he started the 2 years he was with the Bills. Also, wasn't he at the Bills alum night we had a few games ago?

Like Rich, I wish we had him now.

I agree. I wasn't trying to bash Kenny, he was a solid player. He would have been much better on a team that had more scoring options. It was a while ago and I was very young, but I sort of remember him being gun-shy, sort of the Kyle Cassity of big men. He would get the ball in the post and rarely do much with it.

I'm not sure if he made any all-defensive teams, but his defense made up for his offensive shortcomings.

Hey all,

Another VCU fan here. I come in peace, as I've got all the respect in the world for your program.

I'll be honest, this is one of 3 or 4 games I saw as a >50% chance of an L when the schedule came out. If we win, it's a huge bonus, but no knock on us if we don't. On a neutral court I'd say it's 50/50, but perhaps that will be settled in a few weeks.

The key for us is obviously to force turnovers or quick runouts on missed shots and get open looks from deep or Darius to get to the basket. He's great at getting in the lane and finishing. If we do neither of those things we're in trouble. If VCU takes the majority of it's shots within the first 15 seconds of the shot clock that means we're getting clean looks, we'll make more shots, set up the press more, and we're likely to win. If we stall in the half court and take our shots with less than 10 seconds, it's bad news. That's where we get clumsy and take awkward shots. Juvonte Reddic is a beast down low, he's projected as an NBA second rounder in 2014, but if you get him into foul trouble we don't have many others who can establish themselves in the front court. Treveon Graham is our version of Dwayne Evans, a hybrid 3 that technically plays the 4 and will bruise all night. He's also become our go to scorer and will likely be in he NBA by the time he's done in 2015. I have a feeling he's going to the difference maker good or bad.

Looking forward to watching a great atmosphere on TV tonight. Best of luck the rest of the way, I hope you guys make a deep run.

Cheers!