Jim Crews Deserves Some Serious Appreciation

Corner3

Some of you guys need a reality check. Coach Crews is doing well this season. Have we ever had 3 dominating performances in a row like we just had? 1 of the #9 team in the country? I don't recall having a stretch like that ever. Crews is coaching Majerus' team with Majerus' preferred system. He is getting the same or better results so far even with the challenge of the top player being out with a broken foot and the death of Majerus. The conference is also very tough this year. If he gets this team to the round of 32 you have to consider him. If he gets this team to the Sweet 16 there's no way you don't keep him.

He's not a sexy choice. It is still TBD whether he can recruit to SLU. It is unknown if he can sustain the success (if he achieves success). That will be the case with anyone and there will be less unknowns with Crews.

Soderberg took a Final 4 team to a 16-10 record and a 1st round NCAA loss to Georgia St. If Crews achieved those results I wouldn't keep him.

Who is this mythical "splash hire"? It's so much sexier to ponder those possibilities. Could SLU be like SMU and just shell out the cash for whoever they want? Probably not. Can we lure away a successful coach from a mid-major? Probably.

Both paths have risk. I actually trust AD May who is much closer to the situation to make the right decision.

no one is disputing that Crews has done a respectable job thus far. unfortunately, that does not mean he's a viable candidate going forward. afterall, he inherited a pretty damn good situation. we need a recruiter.. i say it again, WE NEED A RECRUITER!!

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no one is disputing that Crews has done a respectable job thus far. unfortunately, that does not mean he's a viable candidate going forward. afterall, he inherited a pretty damn good situation. we need a recruiter.. i say it again, WE NEED A RECRUITER!!

The recruiter doesn't have to be the head coach. I don't know how well Crews can recruit. WE NEED AN ALL AROUND COACH. The key at SLU is the ability to recognize talent and potential and being able to develop it. Majerus also seemed to really put a lot of stock into work ethic. He wanted guys that got to practice early and turned off the gym lights. Find the serviceable guys, coach em' up and if they work their butts off we win. Easy right?

PS Next coach also has 5 scholarships to fill by recruiting next year. I see that as good and bad. Bad that the class is a bit unbalanced but good because he can mold the team he wants quickly.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="majerus mojo" data-cid="339897" data-time="1359861263"><p>

Speaking of recruiting.. young Jayson Tatum just tweeted this out a couple minutes ago.. would be a good start -- <a href='http://instagram.com/p/VQNUiFqqOa/'>http://instagram.com/p/VQNUiFqqOa/</a><br />

<br />

(Though understandably a little tricky with the coaching situation.)</p></blockquote>

No offer from us?

I wonder where the team would be if Coach Crews was not able to first take over for an ill Coach Majerus. This has been a crazy season what with Kwamain going down for almost the entire non-conference season and then the death of Coach Majerus. I don't intend to get into the debate of whether Coach Crews should be retained or not. Frankly, I don't think anyone even knows if Coach Crews wants the job after this season is over. I think that will be decided by the powers at SLU. In the meantime, I want to see how the rest of this season plays out. I am very happy where this team is after these last two home games and yes I believe everyone deserves a pat on the back including Coach Crews.

Majerus is 99% of the reason we have all of the talent we have on the court.

The head coach is THE recruiter. An average coach will not attract excellent players just because he has high energy assistants that travel for him, good messenger boys.

Crews seems to be a good "X & O" guy with the talent he has... he knows the game... and has done well with this role, but it does not seem he would be able to recruit the 3* type players to play for him that we need to keep this going if we if we get in the C7+.

We need someone with a good track record past and a long, bright future. (If we do not get in, then what difference does it make.. we are hosed).

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="majerus mojo" data-cid="339897" data-time="1359861263"><p>

Speaking of recruiting.. young Jayson Tatum just tweeted this out a couple minutes ago.. would be a good start -- <a href='http://instagram.com/p/VQNUiFqqOa/'>http://instagram.com/p/VQNUiFqqOa/</a><br />

<br />

(Though understandably a little tricky with the coaching situation.)</p></blockquote>

No offer from us?

Jayson is a freshman and SLU doesn't have a head coach in place; that's why there's no offer yet. I'm sure the head coach will offer him this spring.

now that this guy has told us he is a kansas fan, it explains a lot about his bruised feelings. as to your wonderous amazement for the season thus far, we returned 7 of our top 8 players we were supposed to win. crews got beat up for not utilizing the treasure he inherited. if you want the fans to embrace him bring in recruits, have players rebound free throws, utilize the talent we have.

if you want to crown him a genius for getting mitchell back and then getting jett and mccall and mitchell dominate when they are our three best players, you just go ahead and give him the ku coach of the year. maybe bill self has a dob position for him next year.

now that this guy has told us he is a kansas fan, it explains a lot about his bruised feelings. as to your wonderous amazement for the season thus far, we returned 7 of our top 8 players we were supposed to win. crews got beat up for not utilizing the treasure he inherited. if you want the fans to embrace him bring in recruits, have players rebound free throws, utilize the talent we have.

if you want to crown him a genius for getting mitchell back and then getting jett and mccall and mitchell dominate when they are our three best players, you just go ahead and give him the ku coach of the year. maybe bill self has a dob position for him next year.

Just can't stop bashing, can you?

It's just like immigrants to the US. Some are good and some are bad. Being an immigrant doesn't make you bad. Being an outsider doesn't make you bad either.

Again Brad Soderburg was a good gameday coach BUT his recruiting was Horace Dixon horrible. There is no reason we can't find an all around better coach. Be careful what you wish for??? I spent a good deal of time wishing that Horace could play AND spell his own name. I wished that Obi was a fat freaking basketball Jedi.

Crews is doing a great job given the circumstances but should be given a gold watch at the end of the season....

It's just like immigrants to the US. Some are good and some are bad. Being an immigrant doesn't make you bad. Being an outsider doesn't make you bad either.

If you can't take some message board ribbing without threatening to support another team you really shouldn't be online. Try that crap on Tigerboard and you'll be verbally destroyed......

If you can't take some message board ribbing without threatening to support another team you really shouldn't be online. Try that crap on Tigerboard and you'll be verbally destroyed......

He's a Valpo fan. I don't understand why he's even here. Doesn't Valpo have a board? Why not start one?

Thanks bbtds. Apparently the money I send every year to the Billiken club and purchasing season tickets and becoming a fan is taboo to some Billiken fans. Pretty sad really. Kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth about a school you didn't attend but try and support. Everyone complains about lack of local support but seems to take any chance to be a keyboard toughguy and spew hate. Must make them feel better about themselves and justify their billiken fandom.

Thanks bbtds. Apparently the money I send every year to the Billiken club and purchasing season tickets and becoming a fan is taboo to some Billiken fans. Pretty sad really. Kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth about a school you didn't attend but try and support. Everyone complains about lack of local support but seems to take any chance to be a keyboard toughguy and spew hate. Must make them feel better about themselves and justify their billiken fandom.

Good gravy! Are you serious??? Are you the most sensitive person on the planet??? You should really get out more. This is just about the nicest corner of the internet. Try crying like this on any other college sports website and see what happens. Grow up or grow a pair. Your seat will be bought pretty soon if you leave and SIUE may be more your speed.

Good gravy! Are you serious??? Are you the most sensitive person on the planet??? You should really get out more. This is just about the nicest corner of the internet. Try crying like this on any other college sports website and see what happens. Grow up or grow a pair. Your seat will be bought pretty soon if you leave and SIUE may be more your speed.

And you wonder why the season ticket sales are around 6000 in a 10,000 seat arena when you have been the only basketball around. Nope not sensative at all. Just kind of amazing how quickly some on this board attack others and seem to think that they have the right to do so.

The recruiter doesn't have to be the head coach. I don't know how well Crews can recruit. WE NEED AN ALL AROUND COACH. The key at SLU is the ability to recognize talent and potential and being able to develop it. Majerus also seemed to really put a lot of stock into work ethic. He wanted guys that got to practice early and turned off the gym lights. Find the serviceable guys, coach em' up and if they work their butts off we win. Easy right?

i could not disagree with you more. we learned this very lesson with Soderberg. the HC has to be an integral part of player recruitment. Hence, why coach K, boeheim, etc... are always flying all over the place to watch HS/AAU games & meet up with young talent. Yes, X's and O's are important as well. But, to be perfectly honest... I'll take a great recruiter/average x&o's over an average recruiter/great x&o's. Generally speaking recruitment and coaching go hand & hand anyways...

And you wonder why the season ticket sales are around 6000 in a 10,000 seat arena when you have been the only basketball around. Nope not sensative at all. Just kind of amazing how quickly some on this board attack others and seem to think that they have the right to do so.

uh buddy, if we get into the new Catholic league... those figures will drastically change. Anywho.. take your crap elsewhere. You did not attend SLU; therefore, your opinion of our program means to me. Buh-Bye!

uh buddy, if we get into the new Catholic league... those figures will drastically change. Anywho.. take your crap elsewhere. You did not attend SLU; therefore, your opinion of our program means to me. Buh-Bye!

My money to the program should mean something to you.