A10 Games (1/30 & 1/31)

Taj79

Calling the Wiz! Not a lot of "quality" or "qualifying" games in the A10 these two nights outside of us hosting Butler. Wondering as usual what are the Wizlines?

On Wednesday, Richmond is at Temple and while Temple is not the same team as usual, Richmond, who surpised VCU at home, haven't won an A10 road game yet. Temple is my pick (yes, these are predictions).

VCU is at Rhode Island. Rhode Island does not have the horses to stay with VCU. VCU.

St. Joe's is at Fordham. If the pre-season pick to win the conference is to get thealthy and back in the race, it must win games like this. St. Joe's.

Umass at La Salle. Can a team be riding any higher than La Salle right now? And with four similar guards, is any team in the A10 better suited to neutralize Chaz Williams? At Gola, means a La Salle win. This could be long-term scary -- nothing like certifying a team's belief in itself. La Salle is gaining momentum and could now be the surprise gate crasher at the top of the A10 come March. The only "tough" game left on their schedule is at us. Yes, they go to Temple and play St. Joe's at the Palestra but the other conference big hitters are gone and vanquished. La Salle owns the head-to-head tiebreaker advantage over both Butler and VCU. That says a lot.

Dayton is at Xavier. SVU fans believe this is the year they get to beat X at Cintas and end the curse. I don't. Xavier.

And for Thursday, I'm picking us.

For my record, I started picking (predicting) the games on January 23 and am currently at 9 and 6 after a 5 and 2 Saturday. No lines, no spreads. Just winners.

As with the Bonnies last year, a dark horse candidate is emerging, this time, out of North Philly. La Salle could run the table until it sees us on our Senior Night. However, they remain mostly undisciplined and could fade back just as quickly. I think they deserve to be watched.

Calling the Wiz! Not a lot of "quality" or "qualifying" games in the A10 these two nights outside of us hosting Butler. Wondering as usual what are the Wizlines?

On Wednesday, Richmond is at Temple and while Temple is not the same team as usual, Richmond, who surpised VCU at home, haven't won an A10 road game yet. Temple is my pick (yes, these are predictions).

VCU is at Rhode Island. Rhode Island does not have the horses to stay with VCU. VCU.

St. Joe's is at Fordham. If the pre-season pick to win the conference is to get thealthy and back in the race, it must win games like this. St. Joe's.

Umass at La Salle. Can a team be riding any higher than La Salle right now? And with four similar guards, is any team in the A10 better suited to neutralize Chaz Williams? At Gola, means a La Salle win. This could be long-term scary -- nothing like certifying a team's belief in itself. La Salle is gaining momentum and could now be the surprise gate crasher at the top of the A10 come March. The only "tough" game left on their schedule is at us. Yes, they go to Temple and play St. Joe's at the Palestra but the other conference big hitters are gone and vanquished. La Salle owns the head-to-head tiebreaker advantage over both Butler and VCU. That says a lot.

Dayton is at Xavier. SVU fans believe this is the year they get to beat X at Cintas and end the curse. I don't. Xavier.

And for Thursday, I'm picking us.

For my record, I started picking (predicting) the games on January 23 and am currently at 9 and 6 after a 5 and 2 Saturday. No lines, no spreads. Just winners.

As with the Bonnies last year, a dark horse candidate is emerging, this time, out of North Philly. La Salle could run the table until it sees us on our Senior Night. However, they remain mostly undisciplined and could fade back just as quickly. I think they deserve to be watched.

Here you go Taj....

Temp by 5 over Rich....Rich cools off at the 3pt

VCU by 10 over RI..... Not much left in the tank after their win over us

LaS by 8 over UMass....LaS is on a roll

St. J by 10 over Ford...Ford not up to speed

X by 1 over Day....A seesaw game with X by a nose

So it looks like we are in agreement this time.

Best games will be X/Day and Temp/Rich. We will see if the X home advantage is enough. Also, if Rich gets hot from the 3 they can beat anybody.

Also, Mizzou is getting smacked by a bad LSU team (35-21, 3 mins left in first), and Florida has held South Carolina to 8 points with 2 mins left in their first half.

Missouri is really not a Top 25 team right now, and they're not going to compete for the SEC title.

UMass goes on the road and beats Lasalle at Gola. I guess not a huge shocker, but a bit of a surprise because I thought UMass was not very good.

More evidence of a topsy-turvy Atlantic 10. And I believe the conference is ranked ahead of the SEC in RPI.

Also, Mizzou is getting smacked by a bad LSU team (35-21, 3 mins left in first), and Florida has held South Carolina to 8 points with 2 mins left in their first half.

Missouri is really not a Top 25 team right now, and they're not going to compete for the SEC title.

UMass goes on the road and beats Lasalle at Gola. I guess not a huge shocker, but a bit of a surprise because I thought UMass was not very good.

More evidence of a topsy-turvy Atlantic 10. And I believe the conference is ranked ahead of the SEC in RPI.

Boone County Correctional Center has to step up their illegal recruiting in the SEC.

What could possibly be wrong in Columbia?? Don't they have an elite coach in Frank Haith?? ;)

Ignoring the upset would make me 4 and 0 last night but 4 and 1 with Umass' win. The Wizlines went 2 and 3. Not fair to do a winner vs. spread comparison but there it is. I am somewhat conflicted with the Umass win. On one hand, I thought La Salle had a good chnace to almost run the table as is possible in the A10 given recent wins over Butler and VCU and them now getting votes in one of the polls. Then Umass slaps them down. Looks like Chaz Willaims did to them what Ramon Galloway did to Butler inmaking the go ahead layup with 8 seconds to go. It appears Putney blocked Wright's last second jumper attempt to win. I guess this is good, in a head-to-head tie with Umass we have the tiebreaker.

I think once again it just goes to show that even though the usual can and will happen (Dayton losing in Cincy ever since Reagen was president) some surprises in relatively even teams can and will happen. You cannot not come ready to play. URI gave VCU a pretty good tussle last night in Kingston before succumbing (Danny Hurley is a pain in the ass).

Ignoring the upset would make me 4 and 0 last night but 4 and 1 with Umass' win. The Wizlines went 2 and 3. Not fair to do a winner vs. spread comparison but there it is. I am somewhat conflicted with the Umass win. On one hand, I thought La Salle had a good chnace to almost run the table as is possible in the A10 given recent wins over Butler and VCU and them now getting votes in one of the polls. Then Umass slaps them down. Looks like Chaz Willaims did to them what Ramon Galloway did to Butler inmaking the go ahead layup with 8 seconds to go. It appears Putney blocked Wright's last second jumper attempt to win. I guess this is good, in a head-to-head tie with Umass we have the tiebreaker.

I think once again it just goes to show that even though the usual can and will happen (Dayton losing in Cincy ever since Reagen was president) some surprises in relatively even teams can and will happen. You cannot not come ready to play. URI gave VCU a pretty good tussle last night in Kingston before succumbing (Danny Hurley is a pain in the ass).

You are correct.....you can't compare wins to spreads. Looks like we are both 4-1 on wins and on spreads ..3 of the 4 wins... I was within 4 points. I'll take that.

Ignoring the upset would make me 4 and 0 last night but 4 and 1 with Umass' win.

Taj, I love you but this just made me laugh. Other statements you could have started with:

- If it weren't for the games I picked wrong, I'd have picked every game right

or

- I picked all favorites and if you ignore the upset(s) I was totally right.

-SVU had a little trouble (BIG understatement) rebounding missed ft's at the end of the game, my grade school coach made sure we had someone to block out the shooter, the first rebound would have come right to that player, that said the shot to tie was very close to being a make, hope we can handle them a bit better on Saturday

@kshoe -- my goal is to always make you laugh. I don't care how it turns out, ain't betting no money on it. I ignored my loss because, well, frankly, I'd expect you to expect me to do that. Thanks tho.

@westy -- no those were actually predictions. Read second graph, opening post. While I predicted La Salle to win last night (and lost) I also projected them to possibly run the table given a rather weak closing schedule. Now, based on the Umass input, I will have to relook at that. I don't think the Umass win, despite the Wiz' second largest spread going to La Salle last night, is all that surprising given we had two middle-of-the-road teams (preseason), with one coming off arguably its most difficult part of the schedule (La Salle) with the two biggest wins in its recent history (Butler and VCU) , playing at home in its sullen pit (Gola). That had trap game written all over the place.

@cowboy --- I watched the first half last night and have to admit it was pretty horrid basketball. It actually sent me to bed. On a neutral court, our talent is far superior to either of these teams. Xavier is just way too young and unproven. They go six-and-ahalf deep because I'm counting Redford as too ne-dimensioanl and limited. Not impressed. One intersting note the announcing team made was that Dayton leads the conference in offensive rebounding, to the tune of rebounding 42% of thei rown missed shots. We need to stop that. Plus they also said dayton leads the conference in 3FG% and 3FG's made per game. That's what they said an dI'm too lazy to confirm it. They made 8-of-16 last night and Derenbecker made alkl threeof hi sin the first half while Dillard made al lfour of his in the second. Kind of obvious who their shooters are. Devin Oliver is a true garbage player and the only guiy I liked was freshman Jalen Robinson. Nine total fouls on Xavier all night. Wow!

Dayton actually has not won in Cincinnati since Carter was in office. It was just before Reagan's inauguration. Makes that stat even more fun. The guys who have season tickets in the row behind my in-laws have screenprinted Jimmy Carter shirts that they break out once a season.