Big East Break-Up Thread (Merged)

The Wiz

if you cannot connect the dots to the importance of father biondi in this deal you have problems. i am not condoning all of his recent slu actions. i am only saying that he is indeed well connected to the decision makers. i am extremely grateful he is still at slu for that one reason.

even if slu misses out on the new conference, i sure hope they stay in the a-10. to lower their standards and accept the mvc would be akin to giving up forever and sending us to midmajor pergatory forever.

I am not just talking about Biondi's recent actions; with your contacts you know damn well that behind closed doors he is a hinderance, a burden to our athletic endeavors.

True, he might know some of the key people at GT or St. Johns and possibly help us out here... though I wonder.

Our strength is a 3.5 million metro TV market (including Hooterville towns like Belleville), a good school, a good arena, an up an coming program, not Biondi, he is a drawback.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one?

Says who, YOU? Who tf are you?

Majerus, for one, said we should be in the MVC, though he finally gave up when he realized it was futile with knucklehead Biondi, and quit bringing it up, like most employees do when they realize they are fighting a losing was againt the CEO.

A LOT of smart notable alumni and ex SLU athletes thought we should be in the MVC intead of A-10. Some do not post here. Some are political and keep their mouth shut for the "good of the church".

Most reasonable people believe that Majerus wasn't saying all that MVC stuff because he really wanted to go there but because he was pissed about the charter flights being pulled and was bitching to Biondi. I never took his talk as serious.

That was a ploy to try to get charter fligths from Biondi. I don't think he really believed that. He also talked about the quality of A-10 basketball and the dream of ending up with the Big East schools.

Yeah, right. You are a mind reader, people say things 100 times and you know they really mean something else. He said a lot in 5+ years, what other things did he say that you and all reasonable people know were a ploy?

Neilson television markets (BE7 and others being considered)

1. NY

3. Chicago

4. Philadelphia

9. DC

21. St. Louis

25. Indianapolis

34. Cincinnati

35. Milwaukee

52. Providence

64. Dayton

76. Omaha

There is no way they add Creighton over SLU when St. Louis becomes they're fifth largest tv market.

I am not just talking about Biondi's recent actions; with your contacts you know damn well that behind closed doors he is a hinderance, a burden to our athletic endeavors.

True, he might know some of the key people at GT or St. Johns and possibly help us out here... though I wonder.

Our strength is a 3.5 million metro TV market (including Hooterville towns like Belleville), a good school, a good arena, an up an coming program, not Biondi, he is a drawback.

so you would rather have some young up and coming 30 something jesuit or some other new administrator calling the shots and being in the middle of this deal than biondi?

No one?

Says who, YOU? Who tf are you?

Majerus, for one, said we should be in the MVC, though he finally gave up when he realized it was futile with knucklehead Biondi, and quit bringing it up, like most employees do when they realize they are fighting a losing was againt the CEO.

A LOT of smart notable alumni and ex SLU athletes thought we should be in the MVC intead of A-10. Some do not post here. Some are political and keep their mouth shut for the "good of the church".

Who the fuok are you? Quit ragging on the A-10. the valley is a butt-A$$ conference, and you get no credibility from me if you think it is a better fit for my alma mater. Go milk a goat, with the rest of the farmers in the valley, mega-bitc.h 73.

so you would rather have some young up and coming 30 something jesuit or some other new administrator calling the shots and being in the middle of this deal than biondi?

I did not say that. Wow. Again, nice try.

I would rather have a veteran savy personable non tyrant administrator that truly cared about athletics and the importance of athletics to the students and alumni.

despite biondi? you do realize that it is biondi that has the relationships with the other catholic presidents that ultimately will be the decision makers? if we would have brought in "new blood" in the last year or so as so many of you have wished for to run saint louis university, i fear we wouldnt even be in the discussion. like it or not, father biondi is our obi wan knobi.

Could not agree more. Well said

Who the fuok are you? Quit ragging on the A-10. the valley is a butt-A$$ conference, and you get no credibility from me if you think it is a better fit for my alma mater. Go milk a goat, with the rest of the farmers in the valley, mega-bitc.h 73.

You said "no one" liked the MVC.

I said "Rick Majerus", who is an icon, a HOF coach, took our program to success despite the challenges and obstacles.

So you were competely wrong.

And, to boot, there are plenty of other people of reputation and substance who wished we had gone MVC.

"No one"?

Could not agree more. Well said

Everyone hates a dictator until the $hit hits the fan, then you're glad he's on your side. Get us in a good conference and then solve the other issues.

Neilson television markets (BE7 and others being considered)

1. NY

3. Chicago

4. Philadelphia

9. DC

21. St. Louis

25. Indianapolis

34. Cincinnati

35. Milwaukee

52. Providence

64. Dayton

76. Omaha

There is no way they add Creighton over SLU when St. Louis becomes they're fifth largest tv market.

Great info... our TV market is probably our biggest asset, not our current conference affiliation.

I said "Rick Majerus", who is an icon, a HOF coach, took our program to success despite the challenges and obstacles.

And, to boot, there are plenty of other people of reputation and substance who wished we had gone MVC.

And you were stupid enough to believe that Majerus was genuine. Apparently you and someone other big shots who may or may not exist. If they do, they don't even want to post their support. You're in some great company.

Have to say I agree.......

Great info... our TV market is probably our biggest asset, not our current conference affiliation.

Omaha is two spots behind Springfield, MO, but you apparently think we belong in a conference with them.

By the way, of the 8 mvc cities that even have a television market ranking, here's how they sort out:

69. Witchita

71. Des Moines

74. Springfield, MO

76. Omaha

102. Evansville

116.Peoria-Bloomington

152. Terre Haute

Why would anyone honestly believe we belong with them?

"No one"?

mostly non billiken fans that dont understand the big picture. you know. like you.

Everyone hates a dictator until the $hit hits the fan, then you're glad he's on your side. Get us in a good conference and then solve the other issues.

exactly. biondi has done some weird just wrong stuff as of late, but in this instance, he is the guy to lead us. those thinking he doesnt care about the athletic department may be mostly right, but in this case it is a matter that it could lead to quite the financial windfall for the athletic department and there is one thing we can all agree on, biondi likes, no, LOVES financial windfalls.

Because the valley is based in St. Louis, Doug Elgin has always used his local media contacts to create the discussion of SLU joining on sports radio and tv. These are simple people who repeat Elgin's points and then convince casual sports fans with no allegiance to the University or team that SLU belongs in the mvc.

as a slu diehard, i have had the mvc vs the a-10 debate about a million times with tons of casual fans that really dont understand the points beyond geography. rarely have i not been able to get that casual fan to see the light after all the points are put on the table.

If we get Illinois State and Evansville home and away every year, I'm going to quit coaching to free up my schedule and get my season tickets again before they are all gone. I can't wait to take the SLU sponsored bus with 37 other fans to Evansville every year. I hope they have the free chips again

In order to placate the unwashed masses, the Catholic 7 will retain the rights to the name, and continue to publicly call the league "The Big East". Behind closed doors, though, league commissioners, administrators, insiders, and basically everyone who matters, will refer to it as "The Catholics Only League".

Butler need not apply.

The Catholic thing was never the central theme to this thing, but people are going record on it already anyway. From yesterday....

@Aaron_Bracy Villanova AD Nicastro says new conference will not be limited to Catholic schools. #philahoops #bigeast #catholic7

----Butler and Xavier, then a third is evidently the most likely. But 12 is still possible, as is staying with 9.