MSOC: SLU/VCU Thread

18 minutes left VCU gets what I think is their 1st corner.

Can someone shut these announcers up?

Complete homers for VCU. Huge fans of the commonwealth...too bad Ty Keough was in Peoria doing the telecast for the MVC game today...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw on Twitter today that Janusz Michalik, a guy who has done some TV work for soccer on ESPN, was going to be at the game. I didn't see the game, so don't know if he was broadcasting. Anyway, after the win, I tweeted at him asking for his thoughts on SLU's performance today. The response is below.

JanuszESPN

a very mature performance. Traditions still alive.

I saw on Twitter today that Janusz Michalik, a guy who has done some TV work for soccer on ESPN, was going to be at the game. I didn't see the game, so don't know if he was broadcasting. Anyway, after the win, I tweeted at him asking for his thoughts on SLU's performance today. The response is below.

JanuszESPN

He loved him some VCU during the broadcast.

JanuszESPN

He was pretty bad. If you just listened you thought VCU misses 346 chances and SLU connected on their only 3 chances.

They even said at one point VCU appeared to be the better team while down 2-0

Yea, SLU appeared at times to let VCU have too much possession, but they kept them in front of them and shut them out. They made a comment about SLU's wide backers not getting forward, however that looked to be by design. Their big threat (Johnson) up front doesn't have much ability to take players on, but if you get him out in space running with the ball, he's obviously pretty good with 13 goals on the year. VCU has a pretty talented midfield who can really take care of the ball and create. If you let them draw you out and open up space behind your defensive line they are going to spring their speedy forwards with through balls.

Those who've been reading this board for some time know I'm big on winning possession and dominating play on the ground, which SLU has done much better this year in most games and imo is a major reason for their success. They can hurt you through the middle with Graydon or Sweet distributing the ball or down the wings with Sweet and Lee, or by playing it long to their forwards. However I don't think we could have controlled the midfield against VCU, so we made an effort to let them have some possession but keep their forwards in front of us. It worked and we shut them out and our offense connected on a good % of their opportunities for a 3-0 win. Having midfielders who are better on the ball doesn't make you a better team. SLU is clearly the much better team with an agragate score of 6-2 and a 2-0 record after 2 games

-ok soccer folks, i guess the soccer tourney is like the bball tourney where a lot is determined by matchups? what do you expect from the Bills in the tourney?

-are we the 6th best team in the country? can we beat the teams ahead of us? i guess on any given day.....

SLU is 6th in RPI and they have a good profile (Creighton, 9th, on the road, VCU, 11th, twice, and Louisville). They should get a good seed (could be a little better than 6, could be a little worse). I am hoping for 8 or under because that would give them home preference for 2nd and 3rd round. Geography only plays a role in the 1st round. The team they play in the 2nd round could be from anywhere.

I do not know that much about all the teams and the game yesterday was the first I saw SLU so I will not claim to be much of an expert. SLU looked great finishing yesterday, truly great finishes. It is true they did not keep possession well (a lot of speculative and poor passing but a lot worked too) but ultimately soccer is about scoring goals. SLU had a fair amount of possession as the backline did dispossess VCU quite a bit, just a lot deeper than when they often gave it up. VCU had a decent midfield and created a few chances but none of their chances were 100% (I watched with a friend so the sound was off--it sounds like the announcers were making more of VCU's chances than SLU's actual results).

The other game I watched this weekend was Brown v. Dartmouth and Brown really impressed me with their possession skills and passing but they lost the game (Dartmouth finished their chances, Brown did not).

Anyway, I expect SLU to be matched up against the winner of some automatic qualifier and some decent at-large team. I have no idea who that is but I would rather play a mediocre big conference team at this stage (Big East will have some weaker at-larges after ND and Georgetown). The key is getting a below 8th so they can play twice at home.

Agreed Skip. SLU knew that VCU's backline was weak and exploitable but that they had to be patient in attacking that backline when the right moment presented itself and very disciplined in keeping their midfielders and forwards in front of them. Patience, solid team tactics, and great finishing came together to decimate a very good VCU team. Again I can't believe we are getting contributions from so many guys. Hidalgo's one time hammer of a volley after a great one timed low cross by Mags was awesome.

Big leap in the collegesoccernews poll from #23 to #13.

Speaking of seeding, I remember one year (with Davis, Dipsy, and Jewsbury I believe) where we were ranked #3 or 4 prior to NCAA brackets being announced and we got a lower seed which meant having to travel after the second round game. It was ridiculous that we got such a low seed and could not get more than one game at home. I think that year we went to Stanford, played on a super soggy field, our goalie slipped when he tried to hit a goalkick, and a Stanford forward got the errant kick and buried it for a 1-0 win.

The turnaround this year is nothing short of amazing. We didn't even qualify for the A10 tourney last year which was hosted at SLU.