MSOC: SLU/VCU Thread

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed Skip. SLU knew that VCU's backline was weak and exploitable but that they had to be patient in attacking that backline when the right moment presented itself and very disciplined in keeping their midfielders and forwards in front of them. Patience, solid team tactics, and great finishing came together to decimate a very good VCU team. Again I can't believe we are getting contributions from so many guys. Hidalgo's one time hammer of a volley after a great one timed low cross by Mags was awesome.

Big leap in the collegesoccernews poll from #23 to #13.

Speaking of seeding, I remember one year (with Davis, Dipsy, and Jewsbury I believe) where we were ranked #3 or 4 prior to NCAA brackets being announced and we got a lower seed which meant having to travel after the second round game. It was ridiculous that we got such a low seed and could not get more than one game at home. I think that year we went to Stanford, played on a super soggy field, our goalie slipped when he tried to hit a goalkick, and a Stanford forward got the errant kick and buried it for a 1-0 win.

The turnaround this year is nothing short of amazing. We didn't even qualify for the A10 tourney last year which was hosted at SLU.

I leave town on vacation early Sat morning, so I expect you will be at our home games and will give me a thorough report. I'm really pissed that I'll miss whatever home games we get as I've really been into this team.

I leave town on vacation early Sat morning, so I expect you will be at our home games and will give me a thorough report. I'm really pissed that I'll miss whatever home games we get as I've really been into this team.

I don't see why I wont be there on Sunday. Already forewarned the wife.

Talk to both. Why not? The bookstore must have some relationship with athletics, right?

Not at all. As has been discussed many times on the board before. Bookstore is run by Barnes & Noble. Barely any relationship exists between the two.

I cannot make a case for 8 teams ahead of SLU so I got to say that SLU will be in the top 8. If I had to pick it would be 6th. SLU has a good profile. The only thing that worries me (and this is true for all the teams) is that the rest of the teams are unseeded so theoretically you could be playing the 17th v. 18th winner in the second round. This is where placement in the bracket gets interesting.

I think lower seed gets a strong priority in the 3rd round but there is no home guarantee. If SLU got homes in the 2nd and 3rd round they would likely not get another home but it is possible if the other team has playing at home. I think ability to host is a factor but that should not be a problem for SLU. In the 3rd round and quarters they will give the "upset" team the chance if they have been away but even then some unseeded teams have played 3 games on the road (I know one case).

I cannot make a case for 8 teams ahead of SLU so I got to say that SLU will be in the top 8. If I had to pick it would be 6th. SLU has a good profile. The only thing that worries me (and this is true for all the teams) is that the rest of the teams are unseeded so theoretically you could be playing the 17th v. 18th winner in the second round. This is where placement in the bracket gets interesting. I think lower seed gets a strong priority in the 3rd round but there is no home guarantee. If SLU got homes in the 2nd and 3rd round they would likely not get another home but it is possible if the other team has playing at home. I think ability to host is a factor but that should not be a problem for SLU. In the 3rd round and quarters they will give the "upset" team the chance if they have been away but even then some unseeded teams have played 3 games on the road (I know one case).

Thanks for the info. I just don't understand the thought process behind giving a lower or unseeded team home field advantage regardless of where they played their previous games.

It is hard to believe that just a year ago, this team did not even qualify for the A-10 tournament. Congratulations Billikens. The NCAA selection show is tomorrow at 4:30 at: http://www.ncaa.com/...s/soccer-men/d1

anyone getting this? When I click on selection show it takes me to a page that has all sports but no link for Div 1 mens soccer