Record prediction thread

bonwich

The Majerus loss will hurt a lot more on the recruiting front than on the floor this year except for a possible match up in the tourney were we have a real talent disparity. Crews can coach and this team already has talent. 26-4 regular season, A10 champs and sweet 16.

Agree it will hurt a lot more in recruiting. That is definitely the larger issue at this point.

BUT, IMO and some local insider experts opinions, Crews is a good man but losing Majerus will cost us some games this yr; just a matter of how many. No way to ever know for sure, of course.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it will hurt a lot more in recruiting. That is definitely the larger issue at this point.

BUT, IMO and some local insider experts opinions, Crews is a good man but losing Majerus will cost us some games this yr; just a matter of how many. No way to ever know for sure, of course.

I would agree with that. However, I am hoping the increased level in talent will make up for some of those few losses. When I say increased talent, I am referring to the culmination of the players being a year older and more experienced. Even with the loss of BC, I think this is a more talented team. going to the second round of the tournament can do a lot for a team in regards to experience.

I think Majerus' loss will not hurt as much in player recruiting as it will in player development, especially in terms of basketball IQ. We could hopefully bring in a hotshot assistant who will land talented players. But it will be tough to construct a roster that meshes together as much on the court as RM's teams did or that play as savvy as RM's teams did. That to me is a bigger worry, but just my opinion.

As I've said in the past, projections change. They did with us when we lost Majerus, some preseason opinions went down. Then they adjusted, negatively again, when KM went down. Conversely, projections for the Indianapolis Colts, and Denver Broncos are uptrending; the Eagles, Rams and Redskins, the other way. The Pack is back --- they were projected high, fell off out of the gates, and here they come again. Like riding the hot goalie.

What I like is a seasoned, veteran lineup. The talent. Some stability and likemindedness on the bench despite the RM fall. An easy OCC schedule with some spaced challenges. But especially like all the big dogs coming to our house this year in the A10. The stars were indeed aligned and then the curse started flailing around. (I'm sorry, meant bad luck 05.)

What I don't like: already said so no Debbie-Downer here. Besides the falls, the unknown interior. This is the best season I can ever remember (including Claggs/Hmark/H II) in terms of preseason expectations. Best in my 37 years.

And jimbo --- I don't know how old you are, if you're married or whatever but I hope your wife/significant other is as smoking as mine is when s/he's 53. I always wake on the right side of the bed ---- the smoking happens when the two sides meet in th middle and I go strong to the left pretty well.

As I've said in the past, projections change. They did with us when we lost Majerus, some preseason opinions went down. Then they adjusted, negatively again, when KM went down. Conversely, projections for the Indianapolis Colts, and Denver Broncos are uptrending; the Eagles, Rams and Redskins, the other way. The Pack is back --- they were projected high, fell off out of the gates, and here they come again. Like riding the hot goalie.

What I like is a seasoned, veteran lineup. The talent. Some stability and likemindedness on the bench despite the RM fall. An easy OCC schedule with some spaced challenges. But especially like all the big dogs coming to our house this year in the A10. The stars were indeed aligned and then the curse started flailing around. (I'm sorry, meant bad luck 05.)

What I don't like: already said so no Debbie-Downer here. Besides the falls, the unknown interior. This is the best season I can ever remember (including Claggs/Hmark/H II) in terms of preseason expectations. Best in my 37 years.

And jimbo --- I don't know how old you are, if you're married or whatever but I hope your wife/significant other is as smoking as mine is when s/he's 53. I always wake on the right side of the bed ---- the smoking happens when the two sides meet in th middle and I go strong to the left pretty well.

come on ... you're almost there. You can do it. I'll make it easy for you just give us the regular season losses.

Now that we know of KM's injury, how does everyone feel about how the schedule lined up? I feel like it may take him a while to get back into the groove of things which makes it nice that VCU, Butler, and St Joes are in the second half of February. Those three games in a row near the end of the season will be very tough. They do present a very good opportunity for us to make a statement to the selection committee if we cannot pull off any high quality wins (KU and Wash) early w/out KM.

come on ... you're almost there. You can do it. I'll make it easy for you just give us the regular season losses.

Skip, no matter how much you prod Taj and plead with him, he isn't going to do it. He'd much rather write novels about 'projections' and where the trend arrow is currently pointing than give a short, sweet prediction in a thread devoted solely to that subject. I think he does it mostly to get a rise out of kshoe.

I love kshoe. I got my hug in Columbus!!!!

I don't do this to egg anyone on. I consider it sticking to my guns. Nowhere could one have projected/predicted us to set the modern futility record for points in a game. What was it? Twenty at GeeDub a few years back? Not only did it happen, but I witnessed it. In person. But it wasn't a complete loss, I met SLU Nick and family.

I've said before that a great team wins all it's home games. I just said this is the most anticipated SLU team in my tenure. So that logically means 8 and 0 at home. VCU will be tough. Umass will be tough. Butler has three preseason all A-10 performers on it if you believe the pundits. Dayton doesn't like us. St. Joe's had six guys on some all A-10 team last year. Playing with a less-than-premium KM will never bode well. And let's not forget how long it took KM last year to come back from not playing.

I've pointed out where I think the typical hurdles will be in the road season. Saying that, I'd like to believe that, contrary to brownindian's hope, the talent level in Olean can't compete. I'll say win. Temple and Butler will be tough. I'd settle for a split but we could lose both just as a great team would win both. Xavier I'd project as a win right now. Which leaves Richmond. Chris Mooney is a good coach. Their style is so different, that they usually confound anyone. I watched them destroy Umass last year at home. Oh .... and we revisit the Smith Center and what I think is an awful GeeDub team. But I've seen that before in a night already mentioned. So nothing is a given. Based on those projections, in conference I guess I'm down on the high end of 16 and 0. On the low end, best case could be 14 and 2; worst case could be 11 and 5. And if worst case is true, then we would not be a great team and some of those home tussels could roll the wrong way.

I cannot express how high my concern is that this is a team that "seems" to live on the jump shot and the three point line. Jump shots have a history of going south and the funk can be an epidemic. That's why in the OOC, I want to see DE's play inside uptick, JJ's ability to drive and finish flourish, and some combined contribution from Manning/Remekun being on the positive side. Add in two bombers a night on fire, and greatness will be realized. I entertain no concerns about the defense but I am unsold on our rebounding right now. I think they get it on the defensive end but what will be the difference from Crews versus RM in that area and in halftime adjustments?

Lots of questions for me but still believe the Dance is our destination. We could lose every game and catch and ride a hot goalie to a sweep at the Barclay Center in March (I know that can't happen because not all teams go and 0 and 16 would stay home) but the point is still valid. I'm focused onthe OOC for now as we define the conference and beyond. If talking about "bracketology" is foolish now, are preseason predictions any less?

But for you skip, put me down for 16 and 0, 19 and 0 if you demand the A10 tournament as well.

Sorry. But what should be a dominant 26 - 4 year under RM with a healthy KM will turn into a 23 - 7 season -- if all goes well -- and another 8 or 9 seed. At the same time, as usual, I may be overly optimistic and 21 or 22 wins may be all we really get especially if KM heals slowly, re-injures the foot or experiences swelling, etc. (but plays hurt) right in the middle of the A10 schedule. We will not beat VCU, Butler and Temple without a healthy KM.

the bankers you have lunch with?

No, local insider basketball people & coaches. You'd know of them, probably.

Majerus was on the kids 24/7 with his demanding style, driving perfection in the execution of every play, yanked kids that did not play all out "D", was a master preparer for each opponent (x's and o's), halftime adjustments, and his dominant HOF presence and reputation was always there... hard to replace. A top 10 coach in the land. Again, Crews is a good man, but how will he carry this on? How will the kids react, they came here to play for Majerus, the legend? Hopefully, they will rally, and they mostly have a yr more of experience.

Again, it will be hard to know for sure, if any games coulda-woulda-shoulda been won if we had Majerus. I am sure when we lose some close games the subject will come up. We shall see. I went with 22 regular seaon wins, assume a late run when KM is at full speed, win 2 A-10 Tourney games and say we will get into the NCAA tourney and win a game.

(Now, moytoyboy, go back, have your mom make you a bologna sandwich, lay on your couch, and wait for my next post to make your juvenile remarks.)

I just laughed when I read that jay bilas is a smart man. Lets just say that is not a universally held opinion...

Let's just leave the smart out of it--he wants SLU to be DIvision II (or whatever condescending name he wants to give it). How anyone can think that is a good idea, let alone a SLU fan, boggles the mind. The fact that he wrote that in a stunningly condescending way also clearly indicates he is a massive pr!ck.

The Majerus loss will hurt a lot more on the recruiting front than on the floor this year except for a possible match up in the tourney were we have a real talent disparity. Crews can coach and this team already has talent. 26-4 regular season, A10 champs and sweet 16.

I hope your basketball predictions are better than your political predictions on stltoday ;) I would be thrilled with a 26-4 regular season. I am thinking more like 7 losses in the regular season. The key for me is getting out of the non-conference schedule with only two losses - don't lose any at home. Then, we need a completely healthy KM for conference play. The conference is tougher, but I think we caught some scheduling breaks with who we play at home.

I hope your basketball predictions are better than your political predictions on stltoday ;) I would be thrilled with a 26-4 regular season. I am thinking more like 7 losses in the regular season. The key for me is getting out of the non-conference schedule with only two losses - don't lose any at home. Then, we need a completely healthy KM for conference play. The conference is tougher, but I think we caught some scheduling breaks with who we play at home.

My political predictions were awful. I didn't think a guy could get reelected with unemployment this high. It really does seem Silver has figured out how to properly apply statistical analysis to political races. I should have listened to him.

My political predictions were awful. I didn't think a guy could get reelected with unemployment this high. It really does seem Silver has figured out how to properly apply statistical analysis to political races. I should have listened to him.

First Mizzou's record in the SEC and then the election...are we going to have to start calling you Dick Morris? ;)

To be fair to MB, he did get both of those right (he called the election in a post of his at least a couple of months ago.)

BHO was - 330 or so with all international books. MR was + 270.

That told you the story; this is different than team games with bad bounces and bad referrees and missed FT's and wind and rain.

The Arabs, French, British & Chinese are not going to put up $ 3.3 milliion to win $ 1 million and think they are going to lose.

This isn't football where a knucklehead deflects a pass in the end zone and another runs it back 100 yards for a 14 point swing.

The USA demographics have changed, of course BHO would win, more people in the cart than pulling the cart all voted for him.