Coach Whitesell

slufan13

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to NH and other over the top negative posters:

Bill McClellan of the PD wrote an article this weekend about politics and used a phrase I thought was very clever-- COMPULSIVE OUTRAGE DISORDER! You and others on this board seem to suffer from this when it comes to Billiken basketball.

We are coming off of maybe our best year in the modern history of the program--clearly it at least equals any other season in modern Billiken history and the weekend in Columbus was fantastic--we played very good teams and played well and almost won both games. For many of us who were there it was the best few days we ever had as Billiken fans. Pretty much the entire team is back and better and stronger with a couple of nice freshman recruits. We get hit in the gut with a health problem for our head coach but we still have an outstanding team and fortunately continuity with Coach Crews who is a very good x and o coach and the players like him.

Yet you and others like Torch are outraged that we do not have a full long term staff in place and ready to go. You are outraged that within a few weeks we have not added completely new assistants. Why not try to fight the COD and just support the team and let things play out a bit over the next few months? Panic is never helpful in any situation nor is a sky is falling attitude. On the other hand, contrary to others on this board, my view is that a positive and supportive attitute is always a good thing in life and this situation is no different.

Bill McClellan of the PD wrote an article this weekend about politics and used a phrase I thought was very clever-- COMPULSIVE OUTRAGE DISORDER! You and others on this board seem to suffer from this when it comes to Billiken basketball.

We are coming off of maybe our best year in the modern history of the program--clearly it at least equals any other season in modern Billiken history and the weekend in Columbus was fantastic--we played very good teams and played well and almost won both games. For many of us who were there it was the best few days we ever had as Billiken fans. Pretty much the entire team is back and better and stronger with a couple of nice freshman recruits. We get hit in the gut with a health problem for our head coach but we still have an outstanding team and fortunately continuity with Coach Crews who is a very good x and o coach and the players like him.

Yet you and others like Torch are outraged that we do not have a full long term staff in place and ready to go. You are outraged that within a few weeks we have not added completely new assistants. Why not try to fight the COD and just support the team and let things play out a bit over the next few months? Panic is never helpful in any situation nor is a sky is falling attitude. On the other hand, contrary to others on this board, my view is that a positive and supportive attitute is always a good thing in life and this situation is no different.

Oh come off it Billikan. None of us need a history lesson about last season or Columbus and all of us still believe next year should be a very good season for the team on the court.

This discussion is about the FUTURE of the program and what NH, Torch, myself and others are advocating is that the sooner we move on from the Majerus regime the better we will be prepared for the long term future of this program. We have pointed out that failure to make a move until the Spring will likely lead to a material drop off in the talent of the 2013 class. Others have argued it won't be that big of a deal. Its a natural conversation and one that should absolutely be happening. If the board wasn't discussing this I think we all should be wondering what exactly is the point of a board like this.

Oh come off it Billikan. None of us need a history lesson about last season or Columbus and all of us still believe next year should be a very good season for the team on the court.

This discussion is about the FUTURE of the program and what NH, Torch, myself and others are advocating is that the sooner we move on from the Majerus regime the better we will be prepared for the long term future of this program. We have pointed out that failure to make a move until the Spring will likely lead to a material drop off in the talent of the 2013 class. Others have argued it won't be that big of a deal. Its a natural conversation and one that should absolutely be happening. If the board wasn't discussing this I think we all should be wondering what exactly is the point of a board like this.

I have no worries about THIS YEAR. I have full confidence in the players and Coach Crews. The pure talent and leadership on this team still has me believing an A10 title Sweet 16 appearance should be this season's expectations. My only concern is that perhaps SLU should start thinking about the future of the program. There is no doubt that Carter, Drew, McBroom, Glaze, Manning, etc... are a VERY solid foundation for continued basketball success. However, it is crucial that the new regime convince those guys that SLU is still the place for them. Additionally, it is critical a new coaching staff is assembled quickly so the new staff can add MORE talent to the roster.

Again, I have almost no concerns about THIS year. Also, I don't need reminding about the awesome time had by all in Columbus.

I also don't need reminding that SLU doesn't have the best track record when it comes to ensuring continued success for the basketball team.

Is this considered a positive or negative post?

Around, around we go....

For you guys who believe we should have a new HC right now, who could we get?

An unknown assistant? Boy, all the excitement of an unknown assistant, better get a change of pants...

A coach that hasn't been coaching for years? Who is out there right now that would be decent? Oh, no one?

Oh maybe we can get a HC to jump ship 2 months before the season starts? What respectable coach can we land 2 months before the season starts? Our salary or the freedom he has to run his own program, surely wont be the reason he jumps ship. So, why would he jump?

Lets not get into the issues that are involved with the new HC having to find his own assistants to bring on (because Whitesell and Crews will quit), create a relationship with our current players so they dont jump ship, and finally teach his new system to our team...all in a matter of a month or two before the season starts. Please...

SLU made the right decision to go with Crews for this season. Move on...

RM regime may not necessarily be over. I am assuming that he is at cedars-Sinai in LA. It is the best heart hospital in the world with the best short and long range success.

Assuming that SLU is in a holding position for now. Let's be patient and pray for RMs successful recovery.

Around, around we go....

For you guys who believe we should have a new HC right now, who could we get?

An unknown assistant? Boy, all the excitement of an unknown assistant, better get a change of pants...

A coach that hasn't been coaching for years? Who is out there right now that would be decent? Oh, no one?

Oh maybe we can get a HC to jump ship 2 months before the season starts? What respectable coach can we land 2 months before the season starts? Our salary or the freedom he has to run his own program, surely wont be the reason he jumps ship. So, why would he jump?

Lets not get into the issues that are involved with the new HC having to find his own assistants to bring on (because Whitesell and Crews will quit), create a relationship with our current players so they dont jump ship, and finally teach his new system to our team...all in a matter of a month or two before the season starts. Please...

SLU made the right decision to go with Crews for this season. Move on...

To be clear, I'd have named Crews the coach as well.

However, the appearance of having almost no contingency plan and current a current assistant coach still applying for other jobs (in addition to the ones that have already left) doesn't give me much confidence that SLU knew how to handle this situation.

RM regime may not necessarily be over. I am assuming that he is at cedars-Sinai in LA. It is the best heart hospital in the world with the best short and long range success.

Assuming that SLU is in a holding position for now. Let's be patient and pray for RMs successful recovery.

I would agree with being in a holding position if the school or anyone involved with the program could get some information from Rickma's side on his actual condition. From what I understand no one involved with the program, including Chaifetz, can get any answers on Rick's condition.

If you can't get any answers you need to move on.

I think you are confusing outrage and panic. I'm not outraged at at all. I might be a little disappointed in Chris May/Fr. Biondi, but even that is a reach since I don't have enough information.

I am worried about the future of the program, as I think many fans are. I'm not trying to be doom-and-gloom, really I'm not, but anytime you lose your head recruiter and then your head coach in a matter of months, it is a tough situation to be placed in.

I would agree with being in holding position if the school or anyone involved with the program could get some information from Rickma's side on his actual condition. From what I understand no one involved with the program, including Chaifetz, can get any answers on Rick's condition.

If you can't get any answers you need to move on.

+1

The administration is aware of the situation. Can't speak for the good doctor. RM has requested that a gag order be put into play. The administration is aware of what is going on.

Once again we need to pray and wish for the best for RM. Basketball is a game and in the scheme of life it is irrelevant. The school has much bigger fish to fry ie it's rankings etc

The administration is aware of the situation. Can't speak for the good doctor. RM has requested that a gag order be put into play. The administration is aware of what is going on.

Once again we need to pray and wish for the best for RM. Basketball is a game and in the scheme of life it is irrelevant. The school has much bigger fish to fry ie it's rankings etc

I can confirm this as a fact. RM and his representatives have requested that all be kept quiet and confidential. Federal law even requires that under any circumstances. The top folks at the school do know the situation. We should all pray for RM and his speedy recovery.

You can argue each way on hiring a guy now or waiting or doing whatever, but holding out hope that RM is going to come back is the worst thing that you can do. Honestly RM is a great coach, but I don't want him back. It's time to move forward now. He could help us go further than we ever have but if we want sustained success, it's time to move on and have a new plan in place. Even if we don't have a new coach now, there better be a plan in place and from what I understand, there is no current plan in place. I've said it before, it is best for RM and for the future of this program if RM never coaches again.

At the very least, hire a damn assistant. If Whitesell leaves and we haven't hired an assistant to replace Crews, all we'll have a head coach who doesn't do much recruiting and an assistant who has zero experience.

You can argue each way on hiring a guy now or waiting or doing whatever, but holding out hope that RM is going to come back is the worst thing that you can do. Honestly RM is a great coach, but I don't want him back. It's time to move forward now. He could help us go further than we ever have but if we want sustained success, it's time to move on and have a new plan in place. Even if we don't have a new coach now, there better be a plan in place and from what I understand, there is no current plan in place. I've said it before, it is best for RM and for the future of this program if RM never coaches again.

At the very least, hire a damn assistant. If Whitesell leaves and we haven't hired an assistant to replace Crews, all we'll have a head coach who doesn't do much recruiting and an assistant who has zero experience.

If the plan is to bring Rick back, how do you hire an assistant coach when the head coach can't conduct the search for his assistant?

You can argue each way on hiring a guy now or waiting or doing whatever, but holding out hope that RM is going to come back is the worst thing that you can do.

Bernie Miklasz was very adamant in his column last week that Majerus told him Father Biondi refused to give Rick a new contract at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Yet our program is now waiting on the possible medical recovery of Majerus, whose prognosis is so severe that he doesn't want anyone to know what is wrong.

I understand the impulse to wait until the season is over to name a new permanent coach and comfort to be taken from Jim Crews as our interim. We're lucky to have Crews but the cloud of doubt can be debilitating the longer it lasts. I think the athletic department has to set out a time table for action. How long do they wait until a decision is made that there will in fact be a new coach? End of season? Xmas? The best course of action is to publish a timetable. I think, at the very least, the university should be willing to say by Jan 1 whether or not Coach Majerus will be back for the 2013-2014 season. That's four months. I also suggest Jim Crews be allowed to fill the vacant AC position ASAP. The program needs to present the public picture that they are carrying on business as usual. Finally, the press release should specifically spell out the steps to be taken should Majerus be unable to return. Suggestion--

"A decision on the return of Coach Rick Majerus shall be announced no later than January 1, 2013. Should it be determined by January 1 that Coach Majerus is unable to return to Saint Louis University due to health concerns, Athletic Director Chris May will lead a search committee for a new head coach that shall commence work immediately at the conclusion of the current season. Interim head coach Jim Crews will be a candidate for the permanent head coach position should the position become vacant."

I'm pretty sure Whitesell isn't going anywhere. Lavin is going to hire an ex player of his. Majerus will be in touch with the coaches throughout the season and maybe make an appearance at senior night. Majerus will be in better health by next summer and will sign a three year deal with SLU and resume duties as head coach of this team.

St Johns hired Lavin's ex player Darrick Martin

Bernie Miklasz was very adamant in his column last week that Majerus told him Father Biondi refused to give Rick a new contract at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Yet our program is now waiting on the possible medical recovery of Majerus, whose prognosis is so severe that he doesn't want anyone to know what is wrong.

I understand the impulse to wait until the season is over to name a new permanent coach and comfort to be taken from Jim Crews as our interim. We're lucky to have Crews but the cloud of doubt can be debilitating the longer it lasts. I think the athletic department has to set out a time table for action. How long do they wait until a decision is made that there will in fact be a new coach? End of season? Xmas? The best course of action is to publish a timetable. I think, at the very least, the university should be willing to say by Jan 1 whether or not Coach Majerus will be back for the 2013-2014 season. That's four months. I also suggest Jim Crews be allowed to fill the vacant AC position ASAP. The program needs to present the public picture that they are carrying on business as usual. Finally, the press release should specifically spell out the steps to be taken should Majerus be unable to return. Suggestion--

"A decision on the return of Coach Rick Majerus shall be announced no later than January 1, 2013. Should it be determined by January 1 that Coach Majerus is unable to return to Saint Louis University due to health concerns, Athletic Director Chris May will lead a search committee for a new head coach that shall commence work immediately at the conclusion of the current season. Interim head coach Jim Crews will be a candidate for the permanent head coach position should the position become vacant."

-i am not in step with forcing announcements on the coaching situation during the season as 10 players could be back for '13-14 and i wouldn't want the distraction for the coaches and team that are here for this season

-unfortunately i see our best bet for future success being with a coach not named Majerus as who knows how long after a comeback is the next medical emergency? i am in favor of taking the pain now and getting the right coach as soon as possible -- but THANKS (again) to Coach for all he has done for Saint Louis University, it will not soon be forgotten by me

St Johns hired Lavin's ex player Darrick Martin

With this news I've come of the ledge a little bit.

We still have to hire 1 more assistant for this year. Believe it or not Billikan this is a big deal. Not having a staff intact when workouts have started is not a good place to be.

Choosing between Whitesell & Crews was bound to piss one of them off. This was a situation that should have been avoided entirely. There should have been a better plan in place to replace Majerus at a moments notice. SLU dropped the ball on this one, you cannot deny it. If we had a plan in place & retained Harriman or Young or both we would be looking for a DBO right now, not a 2nd assistant coach.

It is possible we didn't know about Majerus' illness when Harriman was hired away. We did know about it when we chose between Young & Bronson. That was announced the first week of July. The rumors were already out by then. There was no reason at all at that point to run off Young to keep Bronson. If we kept them both we'd be in a much better spot right now.

We still have to hire 1 more assistant for this year. Believe it or not Billikan this is a big deal. Not having a staff intact when workouts have started is not a good place to be.

Choosing between Whitesell & Crews was bound to piss one of them off. This was a situation that should have been avoided entirely. There should have been a better plan in place to replace Majerus at a moments notice. SLU dropped the ball on this one, you cannot deny it. If we had a plan in place & retained Harriman or Young or both we would be looking for a DBO right now, not a 2nd assistant coach.

It is possible we didn't know about Majerus' illness when Harriman was hired away. We did know about it when we chose between Young & Bronson. That was announced the first week of July. The rumors were already out by then. There was no reason at all at that point to run off Young to keep Bronson. If we kept them both we'd be in a much better spot right now.

Was Tony Young really run off? I have no inside knowledge on the situation but I had not heard this explanation before. Majerus spoke highly of him in interviews this summer but with Tanner no longer being a Grad Assistant and a new Director of Basketball Operations coming in was Tony the odd man out?

Gene keady's hair gives me the creeps. Its plastered on his head like smoothly laid tar.

I sat next to GK at the 2005 Adolph Rupp Awards banquet during the Final Four week as a correspondent for the UNews. The guy parts his hair with an ax! He's also one of the funniest guys I've ever had a chance to talk to. Incredibly dry and witty.

Torch. You have crossed the line and are now just being silly. We all want certainty, new recruits to commit and either RM to return ASAP, in great health and with a new 5 year/lifetime contract or for some other great new coach to take over and run the show, sooner than later, and landing 4 start recruits this Fall.

Reality check: existing coaches are under contract with their current universities. None of them will give SLU permission to discuss hiring away their head coach or even their assistant coach. Good or bad, this is an acceptable practice in the Spring -- not 1 month before the season starts. Coaches use other schools to explore better opportunities and to obtain pay raises/gain power (see Matt Painter).

Chris Harimann is not qualified to be SLU's next coach. He was a nice coach for us and apparently has extensive contacts in Austrailia but he he has no head coaching experience, he is still new to American basketball and he is completely unproven. He has no experience running a program (fundraising, public relations,media relations). SLU deserves an existing head coach or a truly top assistant coach. Young and Bronson are nice guys but neither deserve any consideration regarding the future of SLU basketball.

Within a few months to one (1) year of SLU hiring our new head coach, ALL assistant coaches will be replaced and/or would be replaced anyway. Unless Whitesell or Crews is hired, both will be gone anyway. When SLU hired Crews over Whitesell, the reaction of Whitesell is normal and typical. I am pleased that Crews was chosen over Whitesell but I would prefer neither be our next coach.

My hope is that SLU does its best to keep both Crews and Whitesell around this year. IMO, SLU should give both a pay raise and say that both are in consideration for our next head coach (though how realistic is it that Whitesell will be our next coach if he just got picked over despite his seniority and his being associate head coach).

Keep in mind that some schools would even hire Crews as the head coach now (so he can better recruit) and then fire him after the first year and have some booster pick up the tab for the severance package. Not fair to the recruits who would commit this Fall but good for the program.

Reality check: existing coaches are under contract with their current universities. None of them will give SLU permission to discuss hiring away their head coach or even their assistant coach. Good or bad, this is an acceptable practice in the Spring -- not 1 month before the season starts. Coaches use other schools to explore better opportunities and to obtain pay raises/gain power (see Matt Painter).

Clock, this just isn't true. Assistant coaches move all the time, even close to the start of a given season. Close to home, Alex Jensen left last year right before practices started. Coach Whitesell is currently looking at other opportunities. Further from home, Washington just lost one of their assistants to a similar job at Villanova so what did they do, they went out and hired an active D2 head coach to take his spot.

While I agree it would be poor form on SLU's part to try to hire away a head coach from another school, hiring an assistant coach at this point is fine and the current employer would hardly begrudge an assistant moving up to head coach if the opportunity presented itself.