Majerus on KFAN in Minneapolis

thetorch

clock i am one of your biggest fans but seriously, "some no name coach from Ohio Univ"?

groce has been a long time recruiting heavy weight for years as a first asst with butler, xu and ohio state and now to turn ohio u into a sweet 16 team as a head coach. my only amazement is that groce had to first do time at Ohio U before getting a top BCS head job. it was only a matter of time.

Roy. Yes. A no name coach.

First, Ohio Univ is not even one of the better college programs in Ohio and recently joined the MAC.

Second, even if he is a "recruiting heavyweight", that does not mean he is a big name coach.

Third, we have seen alot of these assistant coaches (a/k/a recruiting heavyweights) fail as much or more than they suceed. I personally give the head coach and the program status which the head coach inherited/built more credit than any assistant coach.

Fourth, Dean Smith, Coach K, Bobby Knight and John Wooden were all unproven "no name" guys at one time in their lives/careers and everyone needs a chance to prove themselves and this might just be the chance for Groce but that does not mean he is NOW big name coach.

Fifth, maybe were talking about different things but both Bill Self and Bruce Weber made similar names for themselves as Groce has now done before getting hired by the Illini. Self was a great coach and Weber not so great. Self rebuilt Oral Roberts and Tulsa from nothing while Weber also did well as SIUC (though SIUC was not quite as bad beforehand as was Tulsa and certainly Oral Roberts).

Groce is probably a good hire. To me, though, Groce is not yet a name coach. Back to back NCAA appearances (along with the assistant coach stints) at Ohio makes him qualified but not a name coach. Bill Self certainly became (was not prior) a big name coach at Illinois (as Groce may do) and certainly was a name coach when he went to Kansas. Roy Williams was a name coach when he went to UNC. Rick Pitino was a name coach when he went to both UK and to Louisville. Majerus was a name coach when he came here. Even Lon Kreuger was a name coach before he went to the Illini (previous stints at KSU and Florida). Other examples: I consider Crean to have been a big name coach (Marquette) before taking the job at Indiana. Thad Matta was bigger name before taking over at Ohio State having been the head coach at BOTH Butler and X. Tubby was a bigger name before taking his Big 10 job now.

Other than name coaches, BCS coaches often also hire "up and coming" coaches like Groce (possibly a great hire). Groce may turn out to be awesome and a great hire. But to me, I am a little surprised the Illini did not have more candidates from either the current BCS ranks or more upper tier D1 programs. Are you not more surprised as well?

First, Ohio Univ is not even one of the better college programs in Ohio and recently joined the MAC.

You better check this, Clock. I lived in Ohio for more years than I care to think about. OU is not a new kid on the block in the MAC.

Now if we could just get Quailman to hand over the Air Jordair t-shirt profits we would be fine...

Also, I'll offer up my expired Qdoba giftcard that fed me for a year.

Has anyone ever tried to call Quailman or Billykitty ? An elderly English gent named Alfred always answers the phone.

You better check this, Clock. I lived in Ohio for more years than I care to think about. OU is not a new kid on the block in the MAC.

Ohio has been in the MAC since 1946...longer than any other current member...they've made the NCAA tournament 13 times

As to RM leaving. Why? His age, his health, his recent comments, his pipeline of players, comments from Dr. Chaifetz, comments from Chris May.... all points to a guy who will stay here (not start all over somewhere else) until he's done coaching.

I completely agree. Coach Majerus isn't going anywhere. He'll end his coaching career at SLU. I'm just worried about his health. Hopefully, he'll stay for at least 3 more years...and 3 more NCAA tournaments!

Apparently Majerus makes $731,000 a year. This board should be able to cover that.

What a steal. I can't believe Josh Pastner makes a million more dollars than Rick.

The only question that should be asked re: Majerus contract extension is Will Biondi bring him back? They clearly have not seen eye to eye over the past few years on multiple occasions/subjects. As it be, the All-Mighty Biondi was in Asia during the NCAA Tournament. THE MOST PUBLICITY SLU HAS RECEIVED IN OVER A DECADE AND HE WASN'T EVEN HERE. It's been apparent he DGAF about the athletic program, and we all know how his ego won't let anyone else have any sense of power at the University. Biondi will be the only and final factor on the return of RickMa.

Unfortunately, there is some validity to this. The Asia part does not bother me, but there will likely be quite a discussion (if there hasn't already been) regarding RM's contract next year. I suspect that a few posters and readers of this board could comment on this in detail and very accurately, but I also suspect that they will be more restrained in sharing what they know. I understand and respect this.

That said, I think it is silly to say that Biondi doesn't care about athletics at all. Too much empirical evidence to the contrary (starting with that big building on Compton). Also, keep in mind that the athletic program is a piece of the overall puzzle to building a great University. Don't think for a minute that Father B. doesn't understand this.

Unfortunately, there is some validity to this. The Asia part does not bother me, but there will likely be quite a discussion (if there hasn't already been) regarding RM's contract next year. I suspect that a few posters and readers of this board could comment on this in detail and very accurately, but I also suspect that they will be more restrained in sharing what they know. I understand and respect this.

I guess we will soon find out whether Biondi's ego or intelligence are bigger because at this point Majerus is way more valuable to the university than Biondi. In fact, there are a lot of very intelligent people in the community who believe that Biondi--despite his brilliant contributions over the years--has overstayed his welcome and that the University as a whole would be better served by some fresh leadership.

I guess we will soon find out whether Biondi's ego or intelligence are bigger because at this point Majerus is way more valuable to the university than Biondi. In fact, there are a lot of very intelligent people in the community who believe that Biondi--despite his brilliant contributions over the years--has overstayed his welcome and that the University as a whole would be better served by some fresh leadership.

Woah, I've gotta disagree with you there. I don't always agree with The Good Father (as was on display in the Pevely Thread), but the guy has done/is doing tremendous things for The Saint Louis University. Is he doing great things for Mid-town? No. But that is completely different from his impact on SLU. Also, after seen the architect's plans for the new law school, Biondi is reentering my good graces B).

With that said, I can't imagine either of them leaving SLU in the near future. Biondi sure as heck ain't leaving until he's forced to go, and Majerus seem to be having the best time he's ever had at SLU. What reason does Biondi have for not brining RickMa back?

That said, I think it is silly to say that Biondi doesn't care about athletics at all. Too much empirical evidence to the contrary (starting with that big building on Compton). Also, keep in mind that the athletic program is a piece of the overall puzzle to building a great University. Don't think for a minute that Father B. doesn't understand this.

RIck will be our coach as long as he want to be.

Biondi has done miraculous things for SLU and Midtown. However, he has also overseen the free-fall of his two most prestigious graduate programs--medicine and law--during his tenure. There was a time when both programs were considered top tier. I am not alone in believing that the university could benefit from a fresh perspective on managing certain academic programs and schools.

Spoke with a number of admissions folks in C-Bus during the Tournament and a fellow alum asked if our appearance in the tournament would have an impact on admissions. Obviously it was a bit premature, given it was about an hour before we tipped off with Memphis, but one of the reps mentioned that SLU received a record number of applications for the 2011-2012 academic year, even with all the negative press surrounding the situation with the men's basketball program. This just goes to show how incredible our University is and how stellar our undergraduate admissions reps situated all across America are.

Great time to Be a Billiken.