Butler to A10

if the a-10 does indeed lose another east coast team and the A-10 could get both butler and creighton, my gosh the league all at once becomes pretty geographically right for the billikens then as well as maintaining if not improving on the competitive end as well. it is absolutely the best case scenario for the conference imo.

+1. Don't know why Creighton would want to leave the Valley yet, though.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the same reason Creighton would want to leave the Valley as for us not to join the Valley: the desire not to have to play 3rd rate public directional schools. SIUC and Illinois State are both large drops from the Illini. Wichita State is a large drop from either Kansas or K-State. N. Iowa is a large drop from both Iowa and Iowa State. MO State is a large drop from Mizzou. Indiana State is a large drop from Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame... With the right young and enthusiastic coach, the Valley schools can have some nice teams and put together some special programs but no good coach wants to make a career in the Valley. Painter and Weber left SIUC. Altman left for Oregon State. N Iowa's coach left for (Iowa?), 2 years was enough at MO State for Cuonzo Martin. Heck, Spoon left SMS for SLU.

The strength of the A-10 was clearly shown with the addition of X this year -- and X was not even the last team taken!! 4 teams from the A-10 (exceed expectations which had us only get 2). What did this Valley get this year? That's my point.

i would hope they havent left the valley because no one has asked. i cant fathom why anyone would want to stay in that conference.

i would hope they havent left the valley because no one has asked. i cant fathom why anyone would want to stay in that conference.

Do you happen to know the particulars of the MVC television deal? They seem to have quite a few games on channels that people can actually watch. Hopefully the A10 will come up with a better TV plan in the near future.

They also have Rotnei Clarke, a transfer from Arkansas, who becomes eligible next season...will add a desperately needed sharp shooter to the mix and will minimize the loss of Nored...

They will be very good for the foreseeable future...I hope this happens

Let me put the Rotni Clarke rumors to rest. I saw a lot of his time at Arkansas, this kid couldn't create his own shot to save the Union. He will work well in Brad's system, has a great shot from distance, but is in no way their missing piece for a championship caliber team.

I have heard all sorts of "this transfer and that transfer" and seems to me, most transfer for personal reasons and while they are not all character issues (like Juwann Staten at Dayton), they are not the god-send saviors folks think they will be. This year alone, Xavier got Andre Walker and Travis Taylor in from Vandy and Manhatten. Short of being a body, both sucked air in my opinion. Yes, a Reggie Bryant worked out well, but Jamall Johnson, Evan Pedersen and Topm Frericks? Not as well IMO. Jordan Latham was a three- or four-star recruit at Xavier. Went to Loyola of Maryland and doesn't see the floor much there either. Chris Wright peaked his first year at Dayton. Brooks Hall was a mega-recruit. Chaz Williams and Halil Kanoseciv were nice gets out of Hofstra at Umass and St. Joe's. Who was the big goon transferred to Charlotte from BC and got kicked out? Or was that Braswell?

All I'm saying is press reports and product on the floor are light years away from each other. If Stevens and Butler win, I doubt it will be the talent that does it ----- I'd like to believe it will be character and style of play.

I have heard all sorts of "this transfer and that transfer" and seems to me, most transfer for personal reasons and while they are not all character issues (like Juwann Staten at Dayton), they are not the god-send saviors folks think they will be. This year alone, Xavier got Andre Walker and Travis Taylor in from Vandy and Manhatten. Short of being a body, both sucked air in my opinion. Yes, a Reggie Bryant worked out well, but Jamall Johnson, Evan Pedersen and Topm Frericks? Not as well IMO. Jordan Latham was a three- or four-star recruit at Xavier. Went to Loyola of Maryland and doesn't see the floor much there either. Chris Wright peaked his first year at Dayton. Brooks Hall was a mega-recruit. Chaz Williams and Halil Kanoseciv were nice gets out of Hofstra at Umass and St. Joe's. Who was the big goon transferred to Charlotte from BC and got kicked out? Or was that Braswell?

All I'm saying is press reports and product on the floor are light years away from each other. If Stevens and Butler win, I doubt it will be the talent that does it ----- I'd like to believe it will be character and style of play.

Selective memories also forget players like Kevin Dillard at Dayton or Demarre Carrol at Mizzou. Jamal Johnson was a stud the one year he played for us and single handedly took a crappy team to the NIT.

Let me put the Rotni Clarke rumors to rest. I saw a lot of his time at Arkansas, this kid couldn't create his own shot to save the Union. He will work well in Brad's system, has a great shot from distance, but is in no way their missing piece for a championship caliber team.

Well, I wouldn't say he is the "missing piece for a championship caliber team," but he improves Butler a ton. I don't know if you watched any games this year, but the problem wasn't really creating shots, it was hitting any type of jumper outside of a about 5 feet. Because of that, there was no type of offensive spacing at all. Clarke (as well as Dunham, possibly the best HS shooter in the country) is the answer to that major question mark. With the bulk of the talent being located in the freshman and sophomore classes last season, Butler is going to be much improved in the near future.

Well, I wouldn't say he is the "missing piece for a championship caliber team," but he improves Butler a ton. I don't know if you watched any games this year, but the problem wasn't really creating shots, it was hitting any type of jumper outside of a about 5 feet. Because of that, there was no type of offensive spacing at all. Clarke (as well as Dunham, possibly the best HS shooter in the country) is the answer to that major question mark. With the bulk of the talent being located in the freshman and sophomore classes last season, Butler is going to be much improved in the near future.

So what's the vibe with your fans? Are you coming to the A-10?

He had range while at Arkansas. I will admit I didn't watch a lot of Butler games this year. Pelphry tried to use him in too many roles while at Arkansas, he ran the point for a while and it was hard to watch. If he has the ball in his hands for any reason other than to let it fly, something will go wrong.

He also had his fair share of off the court issues. If the rumors are true, his weird redneck family moved to Indy to watch him. They were trouble in Fayetteville, they would yell at Pelphry in game to play him more. It was awful. I don't like Hogs basketball so it was fun for me to watch. When he transfered, students threw a "Goodbye Rotni" party that had a less then thinly vieled sarcastic tone.

Get Butler! While your at it, say DePaul, how`s the whole Big East thing working out for you? ( I don`t see DePaul leave the big money of the BE though, why not try).. Hello VCU, hello George Mason

15 works 16 works

Its about time I post about this. Reports are now coming out that Butler is exploring the possibility of joining the A10. I've heard there's a great chance of it happening. Talks are already serious.

Would love to see this happen. Indianapolis is an easy drive from St. Louis, it helps bridge the gap between us and the rest of the league, Butler looks like it is going to be a strong program for the foreseeable future, and since X and UD will always be each others biggest game maybe we can get some sort of real rivalry going with Butler. They would be a home run addition.

The only downside to this is Stevens would get even more exposure in St. Louis with recruits. He's gotten 2 good ones recently Jones & Berry.

And us in Indy.

People have been poaching St. Louis for the best talent since the beginning of time. We just need to get consistently good if we want to keep the top players around.

@kshoe --- it's not selective memory, but rather overall poor memory. Jordan Crawford was a great get from Indiana-to-Xavier. The little point guard I think from Kansas State to Xavier is another. Earl Pettis transferred to La Salle from Rutgers. Not bad. The O'Brien kid that came into St. Joe's from somewhere and then tried to pull an Andre Walker and go to UAB causing Martelli puiblic grief -- not so good. Gooden and Moser out of UCLA to New Mexico and UNLV respectively. There are many examples. I tried to keep it short because of the usual I get for words totals. Justin Jordan., John Smiff. Jake Barnett.

@box --- H Waldman is classic, my favorite player and one I did not mention

The thing/point I was making is this ---- just because so-and-so is transferring into one program from another is not the godsend most seem to assume it will be. Might/might not.

And us in Indy.

People have been poaching St. Louis for the best talent since the beginning of time. We just need to get consistently good if we want to keep the top players around.

Good point. Sounds like Drew is one of the top players in Indy, plus we've been recruiting others from there recently, including Patrick Ingram who signed with Iowa.

A10 has reached out to Butler about joining the A10.

http://www.wishtv.co...ing-atlantic-10

I wonder why the A-10 needs an answer "rather quickly"? Temple doesn't leave for another season. Could the A-10 have someone else in mind if Butler isn't interested? I sure hope the A-10 doesn't screw this up.

I wonder why the A-10 needs an answer "rather quickly"? Temple doesn't leave for another season. Could the A-10 have someone else in mind if Butler isn't interested? I sure hope the A-10 doesn't screw this up.

There is always somebody else waiting in line...

I'm glad to see it won't drag. The vast majority of the time when things get public like this its nearly a done deal. This will be a big deal and great for the conference, particularly the western part of it!

I would hope with some SLU success and a conference rivalry with Butler, STL players would look at Butler similar to MU fans/players look at Kansas. I Success should help with recruiting good local players.

If we add Butler, which other schools might then be interested? DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence and G'Town would be crazy to forego the money and prestige until the Big East finally is done. In the meantime, wondering if the money would be right for Creighton or Bradley (though they were a dismal 7-25 this year) from the Valley or Valpo also from Horizon. Would like to add a Chicago team but Loyola/Porter are just plain terrible (7-23 record) as well as the fact that they lack facilities and commitment to Top Tier D1 basketball , . . Detroit is a fellow Jesuit school but they just haven't shown any real commitment to basketball either. George Mason has been good lately but is another East Coach school which is probably at its peak.

If we add Butler, which other schools might then be interested? DePaul, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence and G'Town would be crazy to forego the money and prestige until the Big East finally is done. In the meantime, wondering if the money would be right for Creighton or Bradley (though they were a dismal 7-25 this year) from the Valley or Valpo also from Horizon. Would like to add a Chicago team but Loyola/Porter are just plain terrible (7-23 record) as well as the fact that they lack facilities and commitment to Top Tier D1 basketball , . . Detroit is a fellow Jesuit school but they just haven't shown any real commitment to basketball either. George Mason has been good lately but is another East Coach school which is probably at its peak.

I think you should only be interested in teams that might contribute to a better TV deal. I know we have some teams that are second fiddle in big markets (Duquense, St. Joe, GW), or even 3rd or 4th fiddle (LaSalle, Fordham), but Loyola and Detroit are pretty far removed from the spotlight. Valpo has had good teams, but I'm not sure what kind of following they have. Butler is a team that could help. Otherwise, I'd rather see fewer teams in the A10 and get the chance to play home & home against the teams that I care about every year (like Dayton and X).