student reaction??

Cowboy

-to those on campus...any reaction from the students to the game/atmosphere/presentation on tuesday night?

-heck, any reaction from professors?

-i am hoping there is a buzz that will lead to that student section more often (crawling before we run)

I just posted this in another thread, but I had multiple students tell me yesterday that that was their first ever game, freshman and also older students. Not a bad experience for your first college basketball game.

Definitely was talk about the game yesterday, but I was talking to people who usually follow the team, so that won't give you that much info

Its tough to swallow the pill of watching people jump on the bandwagon of the thing you've loved through some very un-sparkly times, but in the end we should all be totally ok with it.

-If that was a lot of students' first game then good. They'll be back.

-If that was a casual fan, maybe a Dad bringing his kid, who isn't a native or alum, if that's his first game, then good! They'll be back.

-While I am the mentee of the Hate Alliance (Jimbo being the master) I know that there is always enough Billiken love to go around. Come one, come all. BUT THEN STAY.

-By the way Billiken Love is just sexy to say out loud. All those L's just roll... Billiken Love... It almost tickles. Im still high from that win.

Make the sweet 16 or better this year and we will not have any problems with student attendance next year. If we could knock out Mizzou, Marquette and Ohio State in the dance (more of our students root for these schools then they do SLU) it would be damn near perfect.

So I was explaining to a couple of the guys in my office about how SLU is hosting the St. Louis regional and therefore SLU wouldn't be able to be in that section of the bracket, and one of the student workers who was listening in asked me if K State could make it to St. Louis. I asked what it mattered and she said she loves K State. I asked her, dont you go to SLU? she said yea, but she likes K State better.

I almost punched her in the face and said then why dont you go to Fuockin K state then? but i refrained from doing so and walked out of the room instead.

ridiculous.

So I was explaining to a couple of the guys in my office about how SLU is hosting the St. Louis regional and therefore SLU wouldn't be able to be in that section of the bracket, and one of the student workers who was listening in asked me if K State could make it to St. Louis. I asked what it mattered and she said she loves K State. I asked her, dont you go to SLU? she said yea, but she likes K State better.

I almost punched her in the face and said then why dont you go to Fuockin K state then? but i refrained from doing so and walked out of the room instead.

ridiculous.

lol... bag of oranges.

Responding to Billiken05's not understanding why SLU kids hate SLU.

I've already been through this, but was called stupid for it.

SLU is a 2nd choice school and kids dont grow up watching SLU or hoping to go there for academics. Heck, up until maybe 10 years ago SLU wasn't even more then a commuter school.

Make SLU a national household name and we will finally start getting students who actually give a ######.

**NOTICE** I understand some people on this board interview kids for MLK Scholarship and would beg to differ. That is great, I would say ###### out the ass for a full scholarship to a University. You should listen to me in interviews, I love to tell them everything they want to hear even though I am really hoping Bain & Co. would give me an offer instead.

What the shiz are you talking about?!

most kids dont grow up wanting to go to SLU or following SLU sports. They were denied from another University and came to SLU as a back up. School spirit usually lies with another school, usually the one they followed their entire lives. In order to make SLU kids fanatics we need to win and make SLU a national household name (preferably through our academics, but sports works too). Otherwise we are always going to be a 2nd rate fan base where most students root for Mizzou, Ohio State, Marquette, etc over SLU. Its simple.

I disagree... I guess I don't have nor know any of the facts to back it up.... but it shocks me to thing they aren't a first choice school. It was very much so the first choice for myself, my siblings and a majority of my friends. All grew up in St Louis, many of them supporters of our dominant soccer program.

Im not trying to argue, it just never occurred to me...

SLU is a 2nd choice school and kids dont grow up watching SLU or hoping to go there for academics. Heck, up until maybe 10 years ago SLU wasn't even more then a commuter school.

Make SLU a national household name and we will finally start getting students who actually give a ######.

**NOTICE** I understand some people on this board interview kids for MLK Scholarship and would beg to differ. That is great, I would say ###### out the ass for a full scholarship to a University. You should listen to me in interviews, I love to tell them everything they want to hear even though I am really hoping Bain & Co. would give me an offer instead.

This is all true.

most kids dont grow up wanting to go to SLU or following SLU sports. They were denied from another University and came to SLU as a back up. School spirit usually lies with another school, usually the one they followed their entire lives. In order to make SLU kids fanatics we need to win and make SLU a national household name (preferably through our academics, but sports works too). Otherwise we are always going to be a 2nd rate fan base where most students root for Mizzou, Ohio State, Marquette, etc over SLU. Its simple.

I think you are over-generalizing...I would tend to agree with the supposition that a portion of SLU matriculates have been rejected by their 1st choice schools, but to say that most students view SLU as their 2nd fallback option is, I think, a little off base...

The last time I looked, the large majority (60+%) of SLU students came from Illinois and Missouri. I would tend to assume that SLU was the first choice for many of those students. Again, I'm not suggesting that SLU wasn't the second choice for some students...

Just 7-8 years ago when I was accepted, SLU was poised to break into the high 50s in the US News and World Report rankings...I was lucky enough to have the option to attend better 'ranked' institutions, but fell in love with SLU's campus, atmosphere, and people...plus, a damn good scholarship package (for which SLU is known) didn't hurt...I know personal experiences don't necessarily translate to a large population as a whole, but many of my friends at SLU were in the same boat as me...

Sorry, but your two posts were ridiculous. Bizziken was more on point.

The issue we run into as far as athletic support goes is that students come here for the academics. They grow up a fan of a local school who they view as superior to us in sports. Making a few NCAA tournaments should help us change this view.

There's no way to truthfully tell how many of our students viewed SLU as a back-up plan initially, but I do know that SLU is well respected academically among the students on campus. I can't even begin to count the number of students who Ive talked to who chose SLU over Marquette. The only school that I have consistently heard SLU talked about as a back-up plan to is Wash U, which is okay, and understandable.

It was my first choice. It's my daughter's first choice. Sorry it apparently wasn't yours.

It was my first choice. It's my daughter's first choice. Sorry it apparently wasn't yours.

slu was my wife, my son and my only choice. we were born billikens

SLU was my first choice. Though I did use a scholly offer from Mizzou to get a little more aid out of SLU.

I think For-DaLove's thoughts are more accurate. I also would add that a lot of kids at SLU are just not that into sports in my experience.

I resented for decades that SLU seemed content to reside in its quiet midwestern world. The University was wholly unrecognized on either coast as I tried to fight my way up the corporate ladder in the computer industry vs. competitors from nationally acclaimed top 20 business schools.

Having said this, I still value many of the associations that I made at the University, But I think that a University has a duty to support its graduates with an effort to maintain a national reputation in at least selected areas.