Majerus Rant

slufan13

To be honest, I think this board has reached hyperventilation mode at this point, and I look at myself as a prime example of this. Seriously, I can't believe how worked up we all get about this. This season should be one to enjoy, yet after a loss, we all can't help ourselves. We look to point fingers, tear into one another, rip on players and coaches, etc. It becomes very unenjoyable. And I fall into the trap, just like most others.

I want to enjoy watching the games, not looking for things to dislike or point fingers at. Yet, here I am, throwing a critical eye at KC and trying to disect his personality at this moment. It seems like I went from just making observations about skill level to now trying to talk about somebody's life. And I realize how sad and wrong that is. I crossed a line that probably should never be crossed, at least with college level athletes. Or, at the very least, not making those thoughts public knowledge on a forum.

I think, in many ways, that most of us are so desperate for a great season, a memorable season, a season where we finally make noise and get to the NCAA tournament, that we find ourselves going overboard after every loss. We just can't help ourselves. As Taj79 said memorably in another thread, this board has no even keel. But, I don't want to contribute anymore to the board's over-the-top reactions and craziness during what should be a very enjoyable ride. These players and coaches deserve our support during a fine season like this. I think that is what I am going to try to do from now on.

Well said, I'm guilty too.

UMASS is done. Here's to supporting the guys as they go 9-0 to finish out the season.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The self-anointed conscience of Billiken fans is "calling out" the coach. Great. :blink: Everybody else seems to recognize that many of his comments were clearly designed to be motivational, but not roy... who is either clueless or willfully ignorant.

take your pick ace. being called clueless or ignorant from the likes of you is a badge i would proudly wear.

To be honest, I think this board has reached hyperventilation mode at this point, and I look at myself as a prime example of this. Seriously, I can't believe how worked up we all get about this. This season should be one to enjoy, yet after a loss, we all can't help ourselves. We look to point fingers, tear into one another, rip on players and coaches, etc. It becomes very unenjoyable. And I fall into the trap, just like most others.

I want to enjoy watching the games, not looking for things to dislike or point fingers at. Yet, here I am, throwing a critical eye at KC and trying to disect his personality at this moment. It seems like I went from just making observations about skill level to now trying to talk about somebody's life. And I realize how sad and wrong that is. I crossed a line that probably should never be crossed, at least with college level athletes. Or, at the very least, not making those thoughts public knowledge on a forum.

I think, in many ways, that most of us are so desperate for a great season, a memorable season, a season where we finally make noise and get to the NCAA tournament, that we find ourselves going overboard after every loss. We just can't help ourselves. As Taj79 said memorably in another thread, this board has no even keel. But, I don't want to contribute anymore to the board's over-the-top reactions and craziness during what should be a very enjoyable ride. These players and coaches deserve our support during a fine season like this. I think that is what I am going to try to do from now on.

Good stuff, +1.

Quality Control, with the major prefaces that (1) Coach Majerus knows a lot more than yours truly, a mere fan and former CYO Coach, and (2) I support the Coach and think he, along with Charlie Spoonhour, are the two best SLU bench coaches of my Billiken fandom, which dates in earnest all the way back to 1978:

1. In watching the games, I keep thinking that SLU should have a zone defense in its defensive arsenal as an alternative, change of pace, and for use against little 5'9" point guards that are torching SLU like Ireland of LMU and Chaz Williams of UMass. I'm not advocating the abandonment of the base man to man defense, just that SLU have a zone with which to turn when needed, at least to change the pace and slow down these lilliputians. This could also potentially apply to playing against the 3 6'4" guards on Temple, except I realize that Temple can shoot 3's, so the zone may not have worked. UMass was also draining 3's in the first half. I'm not saying the zone is the answer, just that I've thought of it several times when watching these games, in the first halves against both Charlotte and UMass. I'm talking about an active zone, not a stand around zone, one that gets out and in the face of shooters. It could mitigate against the athleticism/speed disadvantage that SLU is facing.

1a. It is spilt milk/water over the dam now, but SLU does not have the shot blocking Center (i.e. #33) as the last line of defense, the goalie, to block the shots of guards off dribble drive penetration. In my opinion, that's another reason to have a zone defense in the arsenal.

2. It seems to me like SLU plays the same on defense, and runs the same motion offense. I see it, so you know the opposition knows what is coming. At least when SLU faces off against lilliputian 5'9" point guards like Ireland of LMU and Chaz Williams of UMass, I would like to see SLU make these teams pay for playing those little guys at the other end. How? By posting them up- take them to the hoop. They should not be able to guard SLU's guards. But that also entails SLU making the bunnies, which has become an issue itself of late.

3. Free Throws- I think this has to boil down to concentration and positive thoughts. It should never be this tough to shoot free throws. SLU was 22-28 at Xavier, albeit with misses that fueled the X comeback. But then SLU was 8-19 at UMass, inexplicable. I don't have the answer there, except to say that free throws are very important, and SLU needs to make them.

Thoughts?

+100

JBiz brings up a good point about being in hypervent mode. We are in unchartered territory with our recent success so we don't really know how to handle the bumps and obstacles when they arise as fans. It is easy to over-react when you feel like the prize is slipping away right out of your hands - and if you squeeze a little harder it won't slip away which ends up having the opposite effect. Billiken fans are like junkies who are on a drought that just got a little taste - ready to do whatever it takes to get it.

Majerus is on 590 right now. I missed the beginning, but here's what he's saying:

-Effort in the first half at UMass was not there.

-Perplexed by missed layups in UMass and other games. Perplexed by stepping out of bounds multiple times at UMass.

-Kwamain's issues largely come from completely missing last season- not being with team, not practicing, not even being on campus a lot of the year.

-Didn't just accept Cusamano's compliment of Jett. Still has things to work on.

-"We're so close."

-Conklin was good at UMass but Majerus still thinks he may have been hurt. Didn't get why Conklin wouldn't force "number 34" to drive rather than hit those 3's in his face.

-Tremendous parity in the A10. Outstanding teams coming to visit SLU. Lots of A10 teams in the top 100.

-Loe is improving and needs to keep doing so. Went from "incredibly soft when he came in" to "mediocrity in that regard" today. Is "contact-averse" but needs to improve inside. Product of international ball.

-Consistency is the key to success and making the Tournament. They don't let you in for a few great performances.

-St. Bonaventure: take Nicholson's game away. Double in the post. Take the perimeter away.

-"Sometimes I'm just too nice a guy...I used to be tyrannical. Sometimes I need to crack the whip a little more. Part of it lies with me..." and right after that thought, he had another thought and wrapped himself up for what Kilcoyne called the first time that ever happened.

Majerus is on 590 right now. I missed the beginning, but here's what he's saying:

-Effort in the first half at UMass was not there.

-Perplexed by missed layups in UMass and other games. Perplexed by stepping out of bounds multiple times at UMass.

-Kwamain's issues largely come from completely missing last season- not being with team, not practicing, not even being on campus a lot of the year.

-Didn't just accept Cusamano's compliment of Jett. Still has things to work on.

-"We're so close."

-Conklin was good at UMass but Majerus still thinks he may have been hurt. Didn't get why Conklin wouldn't force "number 34" to drive rather than hit those 3's in his face.

-Tremendous parity in the A10. Outstanding teams coming to visit SLU. Lots of A10 teams in the top 100.

-Loe is improving and needs to keep doing so. Went from "incredibly soft when he came in" to "mediocrity in that regard" today. Is "contact-averse" but needs to improve inside. Product of international ball.

-Consistency is the key to success and making the Tournament. They don't let you in for a few great performances.

-St. Bonaventure: take Nicholson's game away. Double in the post. Take the perimeter away.

-"Sometimes I'm just too nice a guy...I used to be tyrannical. Sometimes I need to crack the whip a little more. Part of it lies with me..." and right after that thought, he had another thought and wrapped himself up for what Kilcoyne called the first time that ever happened.

He also said the blame starts with him for Saturday and he went on about that for a few minutes. I thought that was an important part of this interview considering some of the recent threads on here. He was not happy with himself, which is why he said he thought he might be too soft on them right now.

Majerus has to motivate. His $1,000,000 salary is dependent on the whims and foibles of teenage kids. How he chooses to do that is up to him. You don't like a guy to whip his weenie out just like you don't like a guy to bash folks (namelessley sans one) in the press. But that is the problems with today's media -- both the traditional and the social. It's not enough to report the news as facts, you've got to do it sitting on a couch sipping JambaJuice with three others, offering you opinion, being shock-jock should you so desire.

Let me say that I took multiple straps from my parents and even my grandparents growing up. I had the best family anywhere. Tough love is tough.

I said this in another thread I think, but I think the reason we get so upset and overreact to each loss is because we do the same things wrong in every loss it seems like. Missed free throws, poor 3 point shooting, missed layups, lack of a go to guy. Those things seem to have come up in every loss we've had and I think we're all frustrated that it hasn't changed yet.

I was perplexed by this too. I know JJ did it once or twice. Talk about lack of focus. It's one thing if a great trap or press forces a turnover, but that type of unforced turnover is tough to endure.

Yeah, and it wasn't just in the UMass game. JJ and MM seem to do it a lot, usually along the baseline.

JJ is also good for one errant pass per game.

Yeah, and it wasn't just in the UMass game. JJ and MM seem to do it a lot, usually along the baseline.

JJ is also good for one errant pass per game.

Agreed. I might be the biggest JJ fan on the board, but dang, we need him to cut down on the silly turnovers and improve the FT %age. I'd take improved FT %age if I had to choose one.

He also said the blame starts with him for Saturday and he went on about that for a few minutes. I thought that was an important part of this interview considering some of the recent threads on here. He was not happy with himself, which is why he said he thought he might be too soft on them right now.

Another roymor dispelled. I heard that too and have heard him blame himself frequently, so it is not surprising. He also blames the players at times and heaps plenty of praise on them.

I can fix JJ's FT problem. I notice that his elbow is crooked. Move it under his hand, and they will go straight in. Then he just has to practice for distance. He'll never shoot a high % with his stroke.

I said this in another thread I think, but I think the reason we get so upset and overreact to each loss is because we do the same things wrong in every loss it seems like. Missed free throws, poor 3 point shooting, missed layups, lack of a go to guy. Those things seem to have come up in every loss we've had and I think we're all frustrated that it hasn't changed yet.

There is always a lot of talk of us lacking a big, but I think a true scoring 2 guard like a Wyatt or Moore would really help. Think of Bryant, Love or Claggett. We have a nice collection of guards, but Kyle clearly is not that guy. JJ doesn't shoot well enough to be a typical 2 and MM and KM are combo guards.

I'm still optimistic. Dayton and UMass are both top 65 rpi, so losing on the road is not that shocking. I am disappointed we didn't beat Temple at our place. I thought this was going to be the year. That was offset a bit by winning at Xavier, which no A-10 team had done in 43 tries. We are still in decent shape. Winning the rest of our home games is obviously a must, then split the remaining 4 road games and we are still in pretty good shape.

In watching the team and thinking about this, I think the missed bunnies are the product of concern that the shot is going to get blocked. I don't know how Coach handles that, except to just say forget about the block, don't worry about getting swatted. Go up strong and confident.

I think the UMass crowd and team rattled SLU in the first half. It reminded me of misadventures under Spoon at the then Shoemaker Center at Cincinnati, when UC would impose its will on SLU, or worse in the Dark Ages at places like Freedom Hall in Louisville. However, UMass is not those Cincinnati or Louisville teams, and SLU under Coach Majerus, an outstanding bench coach, and as we expected here, came out and made a game of it in the second half. I was reminded of Majerus' mentor, the late Al McGuire, who preached about getting the lead under 10, and I said we need to get it under 10 at the 10 minute mark. SLU exceeded that- got it there with 14 minutes left. SLU was within 5 points with 5 minutes left. SLU was done in by poor free throw shooting and that key foul against Chaz Williams at shot clock expiration when he was launching the desperation 3.

UMass is not that good, and is ripe to be taken in the A-10 Tournament.

The Billikens need to be confident, play freely like they did in Anaheim. SLU looked like a Top 20 team in Anaheim. So it is there.

And our SLU team looks so much better when it is hitting its shots, to state the obvious.

There is always a lot of talk of us lacking a big, but I think a true scoring 2 guard like a Wyatt or Moore would really help. Think of Bryant, Love or Claggett. We have a nice collection of guards, but Kyle clearly is not that guy. JJ doesn't shoot well enough to be a typical 2 and MM and KM are combo guards.

I'm still optimistic. Dayton and UMass are both top 65 rpi, so losing on the road is not that shocking. I am disappointed we didn't beat Temple at our place. I thought this was going to be the year. That was offset a bit by winning at Xavier, which no A-10 team had done in 43 tries. We are still in decent shape. Winning the rest of our home games is obviously a must, then split the remaining 4 road games and we are still in pretty good shape.

I still say we shoot to run the table, 9-0 the rest of the way. I realize that is a tall order, but why not?

This being said, if SLU can't win them all, I think SLU can really only safely afford 1 more regular season loss, and if that has to happen, it needs to be on the road. Going 7-2 might be good enough, but I'd much rather SLU go into the A-10 Tournament at 24-6 (23-6 for NCAA Committee purposes due to the 1 win over D-2 UIS), 12-4, as opposed to 23-7, 11-5. That may not seem like that much of a difference, but I think SLU is in for sure at 24-6, 12-4 going into the A-10 Tournament.

Win these 2 games this week, split the Phily trip, should easily win Richmond, Fordham, and @Rhode Island, beat Xavier and @Duquesne.

Honestly seems pretty realistic to me. There is no way we should go any worse than 7-2 the rest of the way and if we do, we probably don't deserve to make the tourney. I don't think the 2 games this week will be as tough as they seem. St. Bonaventure is a bit unproven and Dayton is starting to struggle and we have them at home and it's the blue out.

Quality Control, with the major prefaces that (1) Coach Majerus knows a lot more than yours truly, a mere fan and former CYO Coach, and (2) I support the Coach and think he, along with Charlie Spoonhour, are the two best SLU bench coaches of my Billiken fandom, which dates in earnest all the way back to 1978:

1. In watching the games, I keep thinking that SLU should have a zone defense in its defensive arsenal as an alternative, change of pace, and for use against little 5'9" point guards that are torching SLU like Ireland of LMU and Chaz Williams of UMass. I'm not advocating the abandonment of the base man to man defense, just that SLU have a zone with which to turn when needed, at least to change the pace and slow down these lilliputians. This could also potentially apply to playing against the 3 6'4" guards on Temple, except I realize that Temple can shoot 3's, so the zone may not have worked. UMass was also draining 3's in the first half. I'm not saying the zone is the answer, just that I've thought of it several times when watching these games, in the first halves against both Charlotte and UMass. I'm talking about an active zone, not a stand around zone, one that gets out and in the face of shooters. It could mitigate against the athleticism/speed disadvantage that SLU is facing.

1a. It is spilt milk/water over the dam now, but SLU does not have the shot blocking Center (i.e. #33) as the last line of defense, the goalie, to block the shots of guards off dribble drive penetration. In my opinion, that's another reason to have a zone defense in the arsenal.

2. It seems to me like SLU plays the same on defense, and runs the same motion offense. I see it, so you know the opposition knows what is coming. At least when SLU faces off against lilliputian 5'9" point guards like Ireland of LMU and Chaz Williams of UMass, I would like to see SLU make these teams pay for playing those little guys at the other end. How? By posting them up- take them to the hoop. They should not be able to guard SLU's guards. But that also entails SLU making the bunnies, which has become an issue itself of late.

3. Free Throws- I think this has to boil down to concentration and positive thoughts. It should never be this tough to shoot free throws. SLU was 22-28 at Xavier, albeit with misses that fueled the X comeback. But then SLU was 8-19 at UMass, inexplicable. I don't have the answer there, except to say that free throws are very important, and SLU needs to make them.

Thoughts?

You make some really good points here, Bay Area. It seems that most big-time coaches who use man-to-man D just are totally averse to using a zone. Rupp through Knight to Rickma. I am surprised that we are as successful as we are in not giving up a basket everytime the opposition drives. We have been torched at time on drives, sure, but opponents have missed a bunch of 2-footers this year too. We're not the only ones who miss bunnies. Free throws ? A mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in Russia. For all teams, all coaches. We must combine relaxation with concentration, especially the latter. Only JJ has an inherently flawed approach, imo. He has too much of a push-shot, rather than an upward motion with a follow through with the fingers. Plus, have you noticed that he doesn't even look at the rim until a split second before the FT ? Drives me nuts but as you say, the coaches know more than us. Let's concentrate and go on another roll here.

In watching the team and thinking about this, I think the missed bunnies are the product of concern that the shot is going to get blocked. I don't know how Coach handles that, except to just say forget about the block, don't worry about getting swatted. Go up strong and confident.

And our SLU team looks so much better when it is hitting its shots, to state the obvious.

Agreed, Bay Area, especially Evans he gets there then seems a little hesitant.

I can fix JJ's FT problem. I notice that his elbow is crooked. Move it under his hand, and they will go straight in. Then he just has to practice for distance. He'll never shoot a high % with his stroke.

JJ had a bad broken wrist during high school. The reason he shoots kind of two-handed and dribbles a lot with his left is due to that once broken wrist. It's pretty rare that broken wrists come back the way they once were.

you know that majerus did include 1st half defense or lack thereof in his rant, and specifically called out conklin's defense on putney. i noticed that second half he had evans guarding putney instead of conklin. just curious why he waited until halftime to make that adjustment? why did he continue to play conklin in the first half if conklin was hurting the team so much?

my point is that rant was total b.s. he is as much to blame for that loss saturday as any of the individual players. expecting conklin on a high ankle sprain to cover the very athletic putney was borderline unrealistic. and the first half efforts of putney and williams bottom line was the game.

but let's make sure he can distance himself from responsibility of the game. it's been that way for five years. all the glory none of the doom.

I am sure this has already been brought up but I dont have time to read the whole thread after this response.

I just have one thing to say...

WTF? Did you not listen to what RM said? He put plenty of blame on himself. Seems to me you simply like talking out of your ass when it comes to bashing RM, but call out anyone else who uses FACTS in regards to KC.

JJ had a bad broken wrist during high school. The reason he shoots kind of two-handed and dribbles a lot with his left is due to that once broken wrist. It's pretty rare that broken wrists come back the way they once were.

Ouch, that is a problem. But I think his form can be corrected the way I was taught at "Easy Ed's" summer camp. I see West Pine Jim agrees with me. I would point out that the elbow is not connected directly to the wrist. He may have picked up some bad habits when the wrist was healing. Practise, practise, practise the elbow in JJ.