Wiz Top 25--1/26/12

The Wiz

True story, many yrs ago, we're all playing slow pitch softball. All the fields were back to back, close.

Our game is over, we are all walking by, a dozen of us, and there is Guy Phillips on the other side of the backstop screen, it was before his game and he was warming up. He walked towards us.

One of the wives with us mutters in terror "oh, God, he thinks he's witty" and rolls her eyes.

Guy walks up, knew one of my friends somehow, and proceeds to put on a loud show out of nowhere, rattles off ten things, he's laughing out loud at his own bullsh*t like it is gold, begging for attention, it was all trite stuff but he thinks he is a big radio star, wow, what a treat for us.

We smile and walk on. It was embarrassing.

There is nothing worse than someone who thinks they are witty, and are not at all. You are the Guy Phillips of Billikens.com.

Not saying I agree - but this has to be a top 10 insult of all time on this board.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you just defined a warm weather fan

you just defined a warm weather fan

Wrong. You do not get it. Biased from the start, jump into something you know not of...

I traveled extensively with some of the jobs I had with 3 Fortune 500 companies, national level travel, there was no way I could see weeknight games and then weekends I was with the kids to their games and activites and with other family so I would not be able to attend a lot of the Saturday games, either, so I would drop season tickets for awhile, on and off. (Trish the Dish was my favorite ticket manager).

My one son won the bucket of chicken prize one night when I was able to take him to a game; the guy came running down the aisle laughing and screaming and my son was on the scoreboard cam at Savvis. My other son's idol was Scott Highmark, he went to the Parkway West summer camp and Scott was his team coach.

Meanwhile, you sat on your fat ass in your local bank and went home every night at 4:30 to home cooked meals or could go to the games as you wished.

Not saying I agree - but this has to be a top 10 insult of all time on this board.

Guy Phillips, overall, is the sharper of the two.

Hey MB,

Remember Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

I might change my avatar, I think that has something to do with all of this.

I should have called myself The Wiz and put an Einstein avatar up there and say we are # 6 in the NCAA and then all the new guys would get pumped up and believe I have an NCAA basketball computer program and they will get all excited.

I think if we beat U Mass The Wiz will make us # 1.

I should have called myself The Wiz and put an Einstein avatar up there and say we are # 6 in the NCAA and then all the new guys would get pumped up and believe I have an NCAA basketball computer program and they will get all excited.

You still wouldn't understand the difference between Wiz's system, RPI and Vegas lines.

Wrong. You do not get it. Biased from the start, jump into something you know not of... I traveled extensively with some of the jobs I had, no way I could see weeknight games and then weekends I was with the kids to their games and activites and with other family so I would not be able to attend a lot of the Saturday games, either, so I would drop season tickets for awhile, on and off. (Trish the Dish was my favorite ticket manager). My one son won the bucket of chicken prize one night when I was able to take him to a game. Meanwhile, you sat on your fat ass in your local bank and went home every night at 4:30 to home cooked meals or could go to the games as you wished.

and just like you said, you dont know what you are talking about. i wasnt always at this bank job but i have had season tickets since 1988. early on i worked for an equipment leasing company selling our services to medical manufacturers and would fly to chicago on sundays and fly back on fridays. probably only able to attend half of the games, but i paid for my tickets and sent my billiken club money in each and every year because i believed in my school and i loved the billikens and knew while it was a small amount, it mattered to the program.

second, you also are clueless to banking hours. i wish i had an 8-430 job. it is the rare night i get home at 430. in today's competitive business world, a bank or any other business wouldnt survive waiting for people to come to them. i spend the majority of my day on the phone and going out chasing business partners and potential clients.

last, my two kids played all the sports had all the activities etc. i've probably missed 15 games since 88, most were because of my kids activities/games. you make the billiken games when you can and sure if your child has a basketball game, you give your tickets away and go support your child.

so dont make your assumptions. however you did prove my point about being a fair weather fan. whatever is convienent for you. to me a real fan supports the program somehow someway, not just when it is convienent and everything is going good. but you keep telling us how bad we are.

and just like you said, you dont know what you are talking about. i wasnt always at this bank job but i have had season tickets since 1988. early on i worked for an equipment leasing company selling our services to medical manufacturers and would fly to chicago on sundays and fly back on fridays. probably only able to attend half of the games, but i paid for my tickets and sent my billiken club money in each and every year because i believed in my school and i loved the billikens and knew while it was a small amount, it mattered to the program.

second, you also are clueless to banking hours. i wish i had an 8-430 job. it is the rare night i get home at 430. in today's competitive business world, a bank or any other business wouldnt survive waiting for people to come to them. i spend the majority of my day on the phone and going out chasing business partners and potential clients.

last, my two kids played all the sports had all the activities etc. i've probably missed 15 games since 88, most were because of my kids activities/games. you make the billiken games when you can and sure if your child has a basketball game, you give your tickets away and go support your child.

so dont make your assumptions. however you did prove my point about being a fair weather fan. whatever is convienent for you. to me a real fan supports the program somehow someway, not just when it is convienent and everything is going good. but you keep telling us how bad we are.

And Roy knocks out MB in the first round.

And MB73, weren't you the one whining about jbizzle's personal insults? Then you proceed to insult Roy.

Too many a$$clowns on this board. I write above their level.

Saul Alinsky types. Probably like to watch Keith Olbermann.

Douchebags all.

Here is REALITY. SLU is not that good.

They now might make NCAAs. Probably NIT. But need 'athletic' type of big.

1st round knockout.

John Cook screwed program. Why I am no longer season ticket holder.

Willie Reed was 'key'. Can't believe you all don't see it.

We LOST our chance last year. Who knows what could have been. Taken away from us. FU student board.

Lawyers for girl. Totally unfair. Should have just given WR 2 game ban. Real program would have done it.

SLU not ready for big time.

So now Wiz uses program that tricks us into thinking Billikens can play ball.

'Yeah' right. My grandma has a 'program' too. HA!

Nice win against X...but they weren't 'prepared'. Heard that Tu was given money to dump. Insider knowledge.

Kiddies don't know about that.

UMass should be big favorites. Totally PUMPED for game. People in know 'know'.

I heard Camby will make appearance. Put $$$ on UMass.

Stop being sheep. Majerus will leave before end of season. School knows it...just ain't saying.

Be ready for dark ages. 2500 people in Chaifetz levels.

I love Bills. Go SLU.

Outstanding! The only thing better would have been adding NoBalls73's analysis of the XU/UC brawl.

And Roy knocks out MB in the first round.

And MB73, weren't you the one whining about jbizzle's personal insults? Then you proceed to insult Roy.

Roy's a good guy, but he is a fat-a$$ banker who has no idea who he is dealing with. But he is still a good guy.

You don't get it. They aren't imitating you, they are imitating me mocking you.

Roy's a good guy, but he is a fat-a$$ banker who has no idea who he is dealing with. But he is still a good guy.

thanks..........i think.

You still wouldn't understand the difference between Wiz's system, RPI and Vegas lines.

I do, I just dispute The Wiz and Ken Pom's and some other's methodology, but you keep smearing me on this for some reason, probably because you do not understand. You have a long way to go before you are even close to being competent on these matters.

Again, you did know even know what "reverse line movement" means... sure, you can Google it and get a mickey mouse Yahoo answer that will help, but you do not really know and thoroughly understand it.

I am eons ahead of you in this area, but you do not know, you keep smearing. You are as naive as the guy who wrote that Vegas tries to get 50% action on each side of each game. Hysterical.

Fine, but you took the first shot, a low blow.

Question: has your banking business benefitted? Have you obtained any customers through your participation in The Billiken Club and all of those functions and all of your assoications with The Billikens?

(edit, missed that last line... I just have said we are NOT 13th or 15th, and until Xavier we had no top 50 quality wins or good wins on the road and had to get some of those... it was reality. I have supported them more positively than you through the first several years of the RM, as you tried to label it, "regime". You have attacked him for years, I have supported him big time. As for the team, now after the huge Xavier win on the road we are NCAA contenders, we still need to win 8 of last 10 or so to get there. Do not misrepresent what I wrote to suit your hissy fit agenda)

Fine, but you took the first shot, a low blow.

Question: has your banking business benefitted? Have you obtained any customers through your participation in The Billiken Club and all of those functions and all of your assoications with The Billikens?

and i take that same shot against anyone that claims to be a big fan and says they had tickets off and on over the years. i definitely dont take it back.

as to your second question, yes. i have customers that i think appreciate my billiken love. it is without an ice breaker. i was at the belleville chamber of commerce annual dinner auction last night and a prominent CPA came up to me and first thing he wanted to talk about was the billikens. after about 20 minutes, he said, "say i have a client i really want you to talk to....." got a phone number, first thing this morning i called, mentioned my association with this CPA and we are having lunch next week.

as to non billiken functions/organizations. without a doubt it is survival. if i dont belong to community organizations, fraternal and service organizations i think my job becomes much much tougher. people want to do business with people they know and trust and like. if you arent out and about giving people a chance to see you and know you that wont happen. and you can bet that my competition is out and about. it becomes who isnt there as much as who is.

I do, I just dispute The Wiz and Ken Pom's and some other's methodology, but you keep smearing me on this for some reason, probably because you do not understand. You have a long way to go before you are even close to being competent on these matters.

Again, you did know even know what "reverse line movement" means... sure, you can Google it and get a mickey mouse Yahoo answer that will help, but you do not really know and thoroughly understand it.

I am eons ahead of you in this area, but you do not know, you keep smearing. You are as naive as the guy who wrote that Vegas tries to get 50% action on each side of each game. Hysterical.

Kenpom moved us up to 12

and i take that same shot against anyone that claims to be a big fan and says they had tickets off and on over the years. i definitely dont take it back.

as to your second question, yes. i have customers that i think appreciate my billiken love. it is without an ice breaker. i was at the belleville chamber of commerce annual dinner auction last night and a prominent CPA came up to me and first thing he wanted to talk about was the billikens. after about 20 minutes, he said, "say i have a client i really want you to talk to....." got a phone number, first thing this morning i called, mentioned my association with this CPA and we are having lunch next week.

as to non billiken functions/organizations. without a doubt it is survival. if i dont belong to community organizations, fraternal and service organizations i think my job becomes much much tougher. people want to do business with people they know and trust and like. if you arent out and about giving people a chance to see you and know you that wont happen. and you can bet that my competition is out and about. it becomes who isnt there as much as who is.

Oh.

So your business benefits by being in the mix at SLU.

Banking is a broad based business with customer targets galore.

The SLU Billiken Club and all of that is a target rich environment for you.

So you have another reason to be such a big booster, networking, drumming up business.

So its not all just about supporting the school and the players, the kids, blah, blah, I am so dedicated... it is business, too. I thought so.

Oh. So your business benefits by being in the mix at SLU. Banking is a broad based business with customer targets galore. The SLU Billiken Club and all of that is a target rich environment for you. So you have another reason to be such a big booster, networking, drumming up business. So its not all just about supporting the school and the players, the kids, blah, blah, I am so dedicated... it is business, too. I thought so.

whoa whoa whoa. i was a billiken club member and season ticket holder long before i was a community banker. and i dont intentionally mix the two, it happens because people know that i am a billiken fanatic. do i use it to assist me in my job? i'd be a fool not. but i also talk about the cardinals (even though i am a cardinal fan second to being a braves fan), i talk about high school sports, i talk about obama, i talk about the popular street bridge, i talk about joe bonwich restaurant reviews, etc.

i smooze. i converse. i make friendships. i make people feel comfortable. i am sorry you apparently dont understand that or are not capable of such. at least if your in person self is like you are here, it would seem that was the case. you are a piece of work. i bet you are a real kick at parties.

Kenpom moved us up to 12

Yeah, we are # 12, and you are schtooking Cameron Diaz.

One nut (national service) had us 83rd before the X game. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but we are not # 12, and we were not # 83.

RPI is the most well balanced, but it has produced some questionable placements, too.

We are 40th or so... maybe 35, it depends upon the assumpitons... if we can finish 8-2 we can probably get into the top 30 or so in the real world, maybe better, it depends on who we beat and who else loses.

How do you spell "reverse line movement"? I want to make sure I google it correctly.

I'll give you this, you are eons ahead of me in making incomprehensible posts. Congrats.

whoa whoa whoa. i was a billiken club member and season ticket holder long before i was a community banker. and i dont intentionally mix the two, it happens because people know that i am a billiken fanatic. do i use it to assist me in my job? i'd be a fool not. but i also talk about the cardinals (even though i am a cardinal fan second to being a braves fan), i talk about high school sports, i talk about obama, i talk about the popular street bridge, i talk about joe bonwich restaurant reviews, etc.

i smooze. i converse. i make friendships. i make people feel comfortable. i am sorry you apparently dont understand that or are not capable of such. at least if your in person self is like you are here, it would seem that was the case. you are a piece of work. i bet you are a real kick at parties.

Correct, half of this is just my schtick to have a few laughs especially with some of the naive kool aid drinking greenhorns like JBizzle09. MoyToy still doesn't understand gambling and Vegas and RPI and what a joke KenPom is, but he keeps walking into the buzzsaw, and some of his buddies blindly support him and Bizzle.

But the other half is reality, someone needs to present it sometimes around here.

And you said I was a fair weather fan, that hurt, my family and I had donated a lot of $$$ to SLU in the past, though not any more, and I did travel a ton, it was ridiculous for me to go to 5-6 games a yr and pay for season tickets. I gave some away but not too many were interested for a lot of those yrs. The Spoon yrs were the greatest, I did everything I could to get down for those. Then I was off again, then back, I have stopped traveling as much and had season tickets for the last 6 yrs, but not this yr, for reasons previously stated (Cook et all).

I personally know a lot of so called Billiken boosters, and know OF a lot of others, who oh-by-the-way also have businesses that are a good match to take advantage of the environment and they can sell to the whole crowd potentially.

Not me. I have been in medical devices, home health care,and some pharmaceuticals, so, there is no business potential at all for me in The Billiken Club and all that. There is for you.

I am great at parties, ask GMan Alum. And you and I agree on Obama, I am to the right of where you stand.

So, here we are.