SLU Law moving downtown

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue here is not whether he broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with his female students - he did. But you can't hold a whole law school responsible for the behavior of one sick, twisted individual. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame Larry Biondi? And if Larry Biondi is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our institution in general?

The issue here is not whether he broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with his female students - he did. But you can't hold a whole law school responsible for the behavior of one sick, twisted individual. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame Larry Biondi? And if Larry Biondi is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our institution in general?

Well said, Mr. Stratton.

I thought you were pre-med?

-great, thanks!!!

It would be karmic if the same techniques he uses were used on him?

Oh, that would be AWESOME!!!! Absolutely friggin' awesome! I would pay big bucks for a front row seat in that trial. Of course, for those of us who know how this stuff works, I doubt that his fellow plaintiff's brethren would be willing to take the case.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pistol" data-cid="349310" data-time="1362500838"><p>

<br />

Hopefully no one in the Box & Won household knows that from direct experience.<br />

<br />

But it's unfortunately not too far from reality at a lot of big law firms. A few around here are having serious difficulties shedding their old boys' club images. The general behavior is better than it used to be but they still can't get women to stay at their firms. They basically make it impossible for female attorneys to have kids and make partner, but the women who work at the firms a few years after school and then leave never say that in exit interviews so they don't burn any bridges. So nothing changes.<br />

<br />

It's hard for me not to filter every law school story through my wife's experience. She never reported anything like this from Cincinnati Law School, and I imagine she'd be horrified to learn if any member of the staff there, let alone the dean, said the things this guy said. It angers me to picture this old making creepy, inappropriate sexual comments to 20-something-year-old female students.</p></blockquote>

You sound like a foo foo commie to me.

Hopefully no one in the Box & Won household knows that from direct experience.

But it's unfortunately not too far from reality at a lot of big law firms. A few around here are having serious difficulties shedding their old boys' club images. The general behavior is better than it used to be but they still can't get women to stay at their firms. They basically make it impossible for female attorneys to have kids and make partner, but the women who work at the firms a few years after school and then leave never say that in exit interviews so they don't burn any bridges. So nothing changes.

It's hard for me not to filter every law school story through my wife's experience. She never reported anything like this from Cincinnati Law School, and I imagine she'd be horrified to learn if any member of the staff there, let alone the dean, said the things this guy said. It angers me to picture this old making creepy, inappropriate sexual comments to 20-something-year-old female students.

Your wife's experience? One woman's version?

In the real world, yes, what you state still happens, sometimes, maybe. Sure. Not good. Not right. But sometimes, this is just the woman's "version".

Your wife's experience? One woman's version?

In the real world, yes, what you state still happens, sometimes, maybe. Sure. Not good. Not right. But sometimes, this is just the woman's "version".

Not just my wife; my comment about filtering through her experience had to do with me asking her if she could imagine Keefe's behavior happening at her law school. She couldn't.

It's not "one woman's version," as you'd like to believe. Lots of firms have the same issue. Since we've been back in Cincy, two firms have asked to talk to my wife and she's turned both down. Just not interested in that lifestyle. Male or female, it's not for everyone. But the pressure is greater on female associates, who have a very difficult balancing act that essentially boils down to an either-or choice at some of these places. And it's not just the hours; when you're one of a few women in an atmosphere with several dozen guys everyday, that has to be intimidating. Doesn't matter how welcoming they're trying to be. If you can't recognize this reality, I don't know what else to say. Maybe try talking to someone who doesn't share your narrow worldview or specific experience.

Keefe's problem is that he couldn't leave the old boys' club at his firm. His attitude and actions are completely unacceptable in an academic setting, or basically any setting that's a larger pond with people he isn't in complete control of on a day to day basis. The fact is that more women than men are going to law school now - by an increasing margin, too - and that attorneys and firms with Keefe's attitude are going to have problems if they can't adapt.

At some point, MB, you have to stop blaming the victim. It's pretty disturbing that after multiple sources say he made sexual comments to female students, your response is "this is just the woman's version." People don't make this stuff up about their bosses/teachers/superiors for fun.

Blame the victim? WTF are you imagining this time?

Hey, you are too inexperienced to understand. In the business world at the Director-VP-GM level, things are verisimilar. Execs, MBA's making as much as those lawyers.

You have no executive experience, hired and fired people, dealt with HR issues, been responsible for big P&L's, multiple facilities, tons of people. Do that for a few decades, then you might understand some day.

On the other side of the "version", many women take advantage of their protected status, want extra time off, special hours, refuse to travel, you name it, and dare their employer to challenge them or they will make a claim. Best not say no. Some leave work early, say they are "not feeling good", have to "take care of their sick daughter". They can do it, men cannot. Women supervisors, execs, GM's, directors, VP's, making $ 250K or more, not talking about minimum wage women.

One Fortune 500 company I worked for, our frustrated VP of HR shared with me a list, at one point had 28 women (well, not all execs/Directors/VP's) were on full paid medical leave of absence in the US Region. (non pregnancy).

Zero men.

Can't touch them.

Men would get fired for that sh*t.

Many on this board know this but probably will not support what I say, lest they get attacked by the left wing dweeb team.

So quit with the one sided perspective from your wife. Sure, their are issues, and it is not right.

But it is not one sided. Lots of strong experienced successful MBA men have been passed up and the promotion given to a woman so it looks good for the federal stats. Happens a lot. One NW MBA that the company paid for to groom her got a huge job she did NOT deserve, even many women whispered in shame, then she quit for good a yr later at age 38 to be a full time mommy after she had her 2nd kid. The guy that deserved it and worked 100% harder had left the company. (It is financial, too... you invest all of that time and money then many leave... like Amendola playing 8 games in the last 32... bad investment).

I have been talking about the business world, which I consder comperable, have tons of examples and decades of experience.
BUT you are talking law... I have a solid source in the SL legal community that states women are clearly receiving preferrential treatment in the hiring and development process and have received questionable promotions for quite some time, too. One source, like you. I could get more, they would candidly say the same, I bet.

Sometimes I forget what a baller you are. You're right, especially in the big time, women have it easier. Less qualified, more of them, and making more for equal work. It's science. FACT.

By the way, what does anyone know about Judge Wolff? Good hire?

unless he's from belleville he sucks

By the way, what does anyone know about Judge Wolff? Good hire?

In all seriousness, SLU is incredibly lucky that he happened to be around teaching, and willing to step in and be the new dean. He is an excellent hire for a number of reasons:

1) He will immediately provide steady leadership in an office where there hasn't been any for multiple years.

2) He has a highly academic background, having been a professor for decades. This is very important for the leader of an academic institution.

3) He has a high practical law background, having been a state Supreme Court justice.

4) Having been a SC Justice, he is highly connected and will be able to fundraise well, another important quality for a dean.

5) Above all, Father Biondi respects him. This was a serious issue with the last (non-interim) dean they named, Annette Clark. He just flat-out had no respect for the woman. Judge Wolff will stand up for the law school and Fr. Biondi will take him seriously.

The truth is he could have applied to be the dean at almost any law school in the country, and would have been considered a finalist.

This is very good news for the law school.

In all seriousness, SLU is incredibly lucky that he happened to be around teaching, and willing to step in and be the new dean. He is an excellent hire for a number of reasons:

1) He will immediately provide steady leadership in an office where there hasn't been any for multiple years.

2) He has a highly academic background, having been a professor for decades. This is very important for the leader of an academic institution.

3) He has a high practical law background, having been a state Supreme Court justice.

4) Having been a SC Justice, he is highly connected and will be able to fundraise well, another important quality for a dean.

5) Above all, Father Biondi respects him. This was a serious issue with the last (non-interim) dean they named, Annette Clark. He just flat-out had no respect for the woman. Judge Wolff will stand up for the law school and Fr. Biondi will take him seriously.

The truth is he could have applied to be the dean at almost any law school in the country, and would have been considered a finalist.

This is very good news for the law school.

Most importantly: is he or is he not Biondi's butt boy? And is he willing to discuss this publicly without being prompted?

Most importantly: is he or is he not Biondi's butt boy? And is he willing to discuss this publicly without being prompted?

forgive me, but i seem to be outside in the cold on this one. we don't get a lot of big city jargon out on this oil rig. what exactly is a butt boy? i'm not familiar with this term. could each and every one of you define it comprehensively for me? thanks.