Article claims 2 BE Basketball-only schools are considering...

davidnark

I think the Big East is going to explode soon. I'm not sure how much they have to do to keep their BCS status in football, but that conference is dreadful and in no way deserves an automatic bid every year into a BCS bowl.

SLU needs to make sure we get into the best non-BCS Basketball conference that will come from this re-alignment. Winning now is vital to make sure this happens.

SLU needs to make sure we get into the best non-BCS Basketball conference that will come from this re-alignment. Winning now is vital to make sure this happens.

This.

Why is Marquette in the Big East? Dwayne Wade / Final Four.

SLU needs to be attractive for the basketball only conference, and that will require success over the next 3 years to assure a good conference for the following ten.

Its stunning to me that the Big East football schools could have the power to enforce a $5mm buyout from the basketball only schools. Until a month ago, there were only 5 football member schools and there were 9 basketball only schools.

If any of the basketball only schools really wanted to pull this off as a block of 9 they should have denied entance to any new schools, told the remaining 5 football schools that no new football teams would be added which would of effectively turned it into a basketball only conference. They could of held on to the name, the current contracts, etc. as the other 5 searched for a place to go.

The timing of this seems like BS to me.

This.

Why is Marquette in the Big East? Dwayne Wade / Final Four.

SLU needs to be attractive for the basketball only conference, and that will require success over the next 3 years to assure a good conference for the following ten.

Chaifetz Arena makes our hopes to impress a lot better than when we played in an off campus building.

Its stunning to me that the Big East football schools could have the power to enforce a $5mm buyout from the basketball only schools. Until a month ago, there were only 5 football member schools and there were 9 basketball only schools.

If any of the basketball only schools really wanted to pull this off as a block of 9 they should have denied entance to any new schools, told the remaining 5 football schools that no new football teams would be added which would of effectively turned it into a basketball only conference. They could of held on to the name, the current contracts, etc. as the other 5 searched for a place to go.

I am not buying the $5 million buyout. The article contianed one big error and I think the $5 million buyout might be another. The conference doesn't actually own the Big East name. The Big East name is actually owned by several of the conference schools. I believe those schools are St Johns, Georgetown, Seton Hall, and Providence.

-well thought kshoe

Is the Sporting News still based in STL? (or am I confusing them with some other sports publication)

No they moved a few years ago. StL would be a better fit then Butler but I really think a new league does not need Dayton and X - X would be the preferred team with Dayton not having the TV market to make sense. Butler with Indy and SLU with StL TV market makes much more sense.

Chaifetz Arena makes our hopes to impress a lot better than when we played in an off campus building.

If we got into a conference w/ the likes of GU, Nova, St. Johns, Providence, etc, SLU might regret not sticking to the original plans and building the Fetz to seat 13,000.

If we got into a conference w/ the likes of GU, Nova, St. Johns, Providence, etc, SLU might regret not sticking to the original plans and building the Fetz to seat 13,000.

i used to thing this way, but now i have grown to like the idea that once we reach sell out status, the "hot ticket" everynight will become a huge advantage to create a homecourt advantage.