today is first dfay of signing period-very quiet

bauman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOu have the right kid. 40 means not rated. None of these kids will be confused with mcdonalds all-americans but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Majerus says Carter is better than KM at the same level. Good enough for me.

Who are the top targets we missed because of the loss of Moser? It seems like Drew has been a pretty big priority for a while. BTW, we missed our "top" target plenty of times when Moser was around.

NH, did you just not see this question or are you avoiding answering it? I would be interested in your answer... if you have one.

YOu have the right kid. 40 means not rated. None of these kids will be confused with mcdonalds all-americans but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Patrick Ingram and Wally Ellenson were our top two targets. And Jordon Granger and Siyani Chambers were also priorities.

Nolan Berry would have been the biggest recruit since Hughes, and with PM we had a good shot to land him. But I don't know how much of a priority he was after Moser left so I can't say on that one.

Carter and Drew will I think eventually be good players.

Patrick Ingram and Wally Ellenson were our top two targets. And Jordon Granger and Siyani Chambers were also priorities.

Nolan Berry would have been the biggest recruit since Hughes, and with PM we had a good shot to land him. But I don't know how much of a priority he was after Moser left so I can't say on that one.

Carter and Drew will I think eventually be good players.

The ONLY reason Ellenson was even a possibility was because of RM, not Porter. RM knows his dad well. How do you know who our top two priorities were? We have been hearing about Ingram and Drew since back in the spring, so they were both priorities and we got one of them. Ingram chose to go to the Big Ten, which he said was "his dream." We wouldn't have landed him if Porter was still on staff. Kind of like when we didn't get Matt Roth when Porter was around. We've lost plenty of other recruiting targets while Porter was here. You have failed to make a compelling case that recruiting has gotten worse since Porter left.

A few minutes ago, HTB said that an announcement from Carter and Saint Louis is "imminent." Glad Steve is going to get the HTB Twitter feed on here. What a great idea! ;)

I getting there...I'm getting there...

The ONLY reason Ellenson was even a possibility was because of RM, not Porter. RM knows his dad well. How do you know who our top two priorities were? We have been hearing about Ingram and Drew since back in the spring, so they were both priorities and we got one of them. Ingram chose to go to the Big Ten, which he said was "his dream." We wouldn't have landed him if Porter was still on staff. Kind of like when we didn't get Matt Roth when Porter was around. We've lost plenty of other recruiting targets while Porter was here. You have failed to make a compelling case that recruiting has gotten worse since Porter left.

The best recruiting classes we've ever had were the 2010 and 2008 classes. Do you think the 2011 or 2012 class (so far) surpassed those? I don't think so, and I think Porter helped a lot with those classes.

Ingram had Loyola in his final three, clearly the coach there was a big selling point. We offered Drew after we offered Ingram. If you don't want to believe what I'm saying that's fine. I follow the recruiting closely and talk to a lot of people so that I know, but you clearly would rather form your own, separate judgements.

The best recruiting classes we've ever had were the 2010 and 2008 classes. Do you think the 2011 or 2012 class (so far) surpassed those? I don't think so, and I think Porter helped a lot with those classes.

What about 1997? Hughes, Tatum, Baniak...

1991 is also up there- Claggett, Highmark...

It's tough to say 2008 or 2010 were as good as those.

What about 1997? Hughes, Tatum, Baniak...

1991 is also up there- Claggett, Highmark...

It's tough to say 2008 or 2010 were as good as those.

That '91 class was awesome - Julian Winfield and Ryan Grant were part of that class, too. Grant would have been a stud if not for the injuries.

Ingram had Loyola in his final three, clearly the coach there was a big selling point. We offered Drew after we offered Ingram. If you don't want to believe what I'm saying that's fine. I follow the recruiting closely and talk to a lot of people so that I know, but you clearly would rather form your own, separate judgements.

You got called out on your Ellenson nonsense, so now you are moving the goalposts. Fine. You talk to a lot of people? Impressive.

I talk to people every day.

So Porter gets credit for having Ingram in his final three? Huh? Repeat, we would not have landed a kid whose dream it was to play in the Big Ten even if Porter was still on staff. http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2011/08/17/ingram-makes-the-call-for-big-ten/

Does Porter get credit for almost having Carter? Porter and RM went head-to-head and Porter lost. We all know what your reaction would have been if Porter would have won that battle.

Earlier you had talked about the importance of getting "highly touted" players. What "highly touted" players did Porter land for SLU? A case could be made that Loe, Ellis and Glaze have been the three most "highly touted" recruits based on the fact that they all received multiple BCS offers. Porter had nothing to do with landing any of them.

I think this is a bad idea. HTB has lots of great info, the majority of which is not Billiken related. I think it will just clog up the homescreen.

I will see what I can do. I suspect I could create some Twitter feed that pulls in from SLU and HeardthatBlog, but with HeardthatBlog, I could put a filter on it to only include #Billikens items

I think this is a bad idea. HTB has lots of great info, the majority of which is not Billiken related. I think it will just clog up the homescreen.

It is a good idea. There is a lot of good SLU recruiting tidbits there. Just in the last couple of days, some questions that some posters have had here would have been answered by looking at the HTB Twitter feed. They were on top of the Carter and Drew situations. They also had a nice tidbit about some recruits who will be at tomorrow night's game. There was a nice retweet from DE talking about Easy Ed. There is also some useful recruiting info from around the A-10. It gets some fresh content on the front page. I would much rather look at the Twitter feed than old scores from the Canada trip. Thanks Steve.

I love talking Billiken basketball and this is pretty much the only place to go, but this isn't very fun anymore.

We don't have Porter anymore. Let's just drop that. Obviously we're doing fine without him. I don't care who our targets were with him. We didn't get them and neither did he. He chose BCS schools over us and that is to be expected. We've missed out on plenty of big time recruits both with and without Porter. Kids don't come to a school because of the assistant coach.

From a recent ESPN Coaches Survey:

When recruiting, what's the most important aspect of a college program?

Facilities: 9.5 percent

Head coaches: 39.5 percent

Assistant coaches: 0 percent

Your current players: 6.1 percent

Other committed recruits: 0 percent

Conference/Geographical proximity to the recruit: 19.4 percent

Outside influences (AAU/high school coach, recruit's family/friends): 16.9 percent

Outside influences the NCAA would deem improper (agents, boosters, etc.): 1.6 percent

National TV exposure: 7 percent

We weren't going to get Nolan Berry. I don't care what Nolan said to anyone. We obviously weren't high on his list and if Porter was so great, then why wasn't Loyola in his top choices?

We're going to be good this year and moving forward. I can't wait for the season to start. People will still go back and forth on Porter and Rick but at least there will be other threads out there to actually talk basketball.

p.s. I do think that the HTB twitter feed should be on here if possible, but it isn't necessary. Maybe just have a link to the website. HTB is great for all Billiken fans and NH is right that most of the tweets aren't Billiken related, but it's still interesting to keep up on all the A10 news.

Season starts tomorrow:

KM, KC, DE, BC, CR is my prediction for the starting lineup. Maybe RL for CR. Game starts at 8. Red Panda at halftime. SLU wins by 16. Let's go.

I love talking Billiken basketball and this is pretty much the only place to go, but this isn't very fun anymore.

We don't have Porter anymore. Let's just drop that. Obviously we're doing fine without him. I don't care who our targets were with him. We didn't get them and neither did he. He chose BCS schools over us and that is to be expected. We've missed out on plenty of big time recruits both with and without Porter. Kids don't come to a school because of the assistant coach.

Outside influences (AAU/high school coach, recruit's family/friends): 16.9 percent

Outside influences the NCAA would deem improper (agents, boosters, etc.): 1.6 percent

We weren't going to get Nolan Berry. I don't care what Nolan said to anyone. We obviously weren't high on his list and if Porter was so great, then why wasn't Loyola in his top choices?

We're going to be good this year and moving forward. I can't wait for the season to start. People will still go back and forth on Porter and Rick but at least there will be other threads out there to actually talk basketball.

p.s. I do think that the HTB twitter feed should be on here if possible, but it isn't necessary. Maybe just have a link to the website. HTB is great for all Billiken fans and NH is right that most of the tweets aren't Billiken related, but it's still interesting to keep up on all the A10 news.

Season starts tomorrow:

KM, KC, DE, BC, CR is my prediction for the starting lineup. Maybe RL for CR. Game starts at 8. Red Panda at halftime. SLU wins by 16. Let's go.

Good post and I agree!

You got called out on your Ellenson nonsense, so now you are moving the goalposts. Fine. You talk to a lot of people? Impressive.

I talk to people every day.

So Porter gets credit for having Ingram in his final three? Huh? Repeat, we would not have landed a kid whose dream it was to play in the Big Ten even if Porter was still on staff. http://blogs.indysta...ll-for-big-ten/

Does Porter get credit for almost having Carter? Porter and RM went head-to-head and Porter lost. We all know what your reaction would have been if Porter would have won that battle.

Earlier you had talked about the importance of getting "highly touted" players. What "highly touted" players did Porter land for SLU? A case could be made that Loe, Ellis and Glaze have been the three most "highly touted" recruits based on the fact that they all received multiple BCS offers. Porter had nothing to do with landing any of them.

You've made your point and landed your fair of personal shots. You clearly think you are right. Instead of trying to continue to shape what I say in some way that you can attack my argument why not just move on. I'd be glad to talk with you about these subjects at a game some time.

Ellenson was a top target who we didn't land. That is what it is, not sure how that's nonsense.

I said the players were not necessarily highly-touted. No where did I claim that it was important to land those players, just that we'd have to wait and see before saying it was a good class.

Thompson, McCall, Mitchell and Cassity all were pretty solidly touted guys and Porter had a big role with them, if I'm not mistaken.

Again, I'd be glad to talk in person at a game.

Season starts tomorrow:

Great post!

You've made your point and landed your fair of personal shots. You clearly think you are right. Instead of trying to continue to shape what I say in some way that you can attack my argument why not just move on. I'd be glad to talk with you about these subjects at a game some time.

Ellenson was a top target who we didn't land. That is what it is, not sure how that's nonsense.

I said the players were not necessarily highly-touted. No where did I claim that it was important to land those players, just that we'd have to wait and see before saying it was a good class.

Thompson, McCall, Mitchell and Cassity all were pretty solidly touted guys and Porter had a big role with them, if I'm not mistaken.

Again, I'd be glad to talk in person at a game.

If you are going to continue to suggest that we are missing our top recruiting targets or recruiting is suffering in a measurable way because Porter is gone, I will call you on it and ask that you support that claim. Thus far you have done a very poor job of backing up that opinion. You bringing up Ellenson is a perfect example. That kid had nothing to do with Moser. The reason a high quality player like that was even interested in us was because of RM.

In this whole 'recruiting with PM gone' business, I think we need to look at it as a whole rather than trying to compare individual players and who was responsible for who. PM left in April. Since then, we have secured 4 recruits, 2 for 2011 and 2 for 2012. When looking at the 4 players that were obtained, do they seem to fit within the overall talent range that we were getting prior to PM leaving? In my opinion, they do.

Basically, we have one high-grade recruit (Glaze), one medium-grade (Drew), one under-the-radar recruit (Carter) and a foreign player who played for his country's national team (The Greek). They seem to fit the range of players we have gotten since RM stepped on campus. It doesn't appear that he is reaching down for any of these players. They all appear to be worthy recruits. Anything to go crazy over, perhaps not. But are they ones to be disappointed in, probably not.

Personally, I think it is just best to drop this whole PM nonsense once and for all. It is ineffectual and unproductive. All it does is make others have to take the position of bashing PM to try to balance out the debate, and that is just a lose-lose scenario all around. PM was a very effective assistant coach, who did many good things while here and we should wish him the best now that he has a head coaching position. No point in rehashing the same silly debate over and over again.