OT grand bridge, pevely dairy property, etc

bk18

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also tax free for the U. So wasting land isn't a bad idea. It's a cheap long term investment.

The med school and Salus center are sort of crap holes too. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that land be dedicated for a new building for the School of Public Health. Right now much of it is in the Salus Center, which is the biggest identity crisis of a building that I have ever seen. It's a hotel that used to be a hospital with classrooms for the SPH, a small rec center, and who else knows what.

I'm guessing SPH and some more lab/research buildings go in where Pevely is and the two properties that SLU has along the South end of the Grand bridge become green space. You know the typical fountains, statues, and sculptures. I am not sure if Pevely will be restored. I think the fire and other structural problems may put that building on a fast track to destruction.

Box, do you think it can be saved?

Its hard to say. The whole of the SPH has something of an identity crisis. Its a school that not every university has and I've know some pretty bright people who went to SLU solely because of the SPH. At the same time, about 3-4 years ago SLU was looking at selling the whole school to Wash U because they couldn't keep the professors happy. But giving the school its own building would show a commitment to it.

I also wonder if med-school specific student housing or more wet labs could be in the cards.

The fact that SLU is now buying land off of CORTEX shows what a failure that effort has been.

But giving the school its own building would show a commitment to it.

I also wonder if med-school specific student housing or more wet labs could be in the cards.

The fact that SLU is now buying land off of CORTEX shows what a failure that effort has been.

I don't think students would live there. I'm a current med student and I don't think many students would be drawn to that.

I think it would be really cool to see SLU restore the building and like you said show some commitment for the SPH and give it its own building.

Has an old warehouse ever been restored for academic purposes? It seems they all become lofts or office space. This has the potential to become a really cool project for the U. PD article on the purchase: http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/article_1fd9edfe-d035-11e0-b267-0019bb30f31a.html

I don't think students would live there. I'm a current med student and I don't think many students would be drawn to that.

I think it would be really cool to see SLU restore the building and like you said show some commitment for the SPH and give it its own building.

Has an old warehouse ever been restored for academic purposes? It seems they all become lofts or office space. This has the potential to become a really cool project for the U. PD article on the purchase: http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/article_1fd9edfe-d035-11e0-b267-0019bb30f31a.html

I don't know if it was a warehouse, but I walked my freshman daughter around campus today as we searched for her classrooms and the building now known as Beracha Hall wasn't originally in any way academic, I don't think.

(Plus you've got the art lofts downtown, which are rented specifically to working artists. A warehouse/loft building would be very cool for a studio art or graphic design program, not to mention that I've seen a lot of loft space used for tech firms.)

I can't change who I am just because you don't like it. I'll take my guns and my bible and go on my way. Henry, on the other hand, is going out of his way to try to get me to cross the line and I'm not playing his games or stooping to his level. The best thing to do is ban him for being an instigator.

People used to petition the mods to have me banned; now the shoe is on the other foot. Henry is the new Metz and he needs to be banned.

I sleep better at night knowing I have a loaded Glock available at my discretion. God Bless Texas.

Well, you have proven that he succeeded in what he wanted to do...If you really wanted to win, you would have acted like you didn't hear it.

Well, you have proven that he succeeded in what he wanted to do...If you really wanted to win, you would have acted like you didn't hear it.

And whom might you be? Do you have any idea who are you talking to?

I had not heard about this. All I ever hear is that CORTEX is a great success. This is an interesting development and sad if true. St. Louis needs to identify a new industry to build upon. Aerospace, brewing, even financial services, are going the wrong way in terms creating jobs in the city.

I had not heard about this. All I ever hear is that CORTEX is a great success. This is an interesting development and sad if true. St. Louis needs to identify a new industry to build upon. Aerospace, brewing, even financial services, are going the wrong way in terms creating jobs in the city.

I know CORTEX very well. I would be happy to share stories and experiences offline.

I still believe leveraging healthcare and bio-sciences is the best long-term opportunity in St. Louis, although we shouldn't limit ourselves to those areas. From what people I know at Wells Fargo and Stifel have told me recently, I understand that our financial services industry in the city is doing very well.

It is remarkable how two completely separate conversations are going on here.

Posted Image

**UPDATE

This was my 100th post. It's taken me 5 years to accomplish what Bobby Metzinger does in a matter of days*

*=before the post limit.

Rally's is still there as well, next door to Captain D's.

I was a big fan of Rally's in my days at SLU -- it was like the invisible hand to SLU's cafetyranny. You gotta eat.

Remember the Salad Bowl?

I like Ribs, especially Richards Ribs. Had some from that place just west of Clarkson on Manchester, the one in the old red shack looking place, about a week ago and they were not good.

+1...Richard is the man!

I'll be in the Lou on Monday, Sept. 5 for the day if anyone wants to get Pappy's or stop by Humps for a beer and some t-ravs.

Playing golf but might be down for a stop at Humps afterwards....hit me up.

The Aquinas Institute of Theology right by Humps is a warehouse re-purposed into an academic building, and it is beautiful. It was done by a STL company, so I know that the talent is in the city to make it a really cool space. I hope that this happens!

And whom might you be? Do you have any idea who are you talking to?

Haha I could care less who I am talking to. As far as I can see, we are just a bunch of people sitting at computers saying whatever comes to our mind. I don't think anyone ever gave you the title of ruler here. But, really, who would want that title any ways? Don't take yourself so seriously.

The Aquinas Institute of Theology right by Humps is a warehouse re-purposed into an academic building, and it is beautiful. It was done by a STL company, so I know that the talent is in the city to make it a really cool space. I hope that this happens!

Great Call. That building looks great, especially the deck.

I know CORTEX very well. I would be happy to share stories and experiences offline.

I still believe leveraging healthcare and bio-sciences is the best long-term opportunity in St. Louis, although we shouldn't limit ourselves to those areas. From what people I know at Wells Fargo and Stifel have told me recently, I understand that our financial services industry in the city is doing very well.

We are doing okay in the financial services industry, but we have lost several headquarters from financial services companies and that is regrettable. We have also lost most of the analyst jobs in St. Louis (BACAP, most of the AG Edwards analysts, the Mercantile Trust analysts, etc.). Hammond was acquired by Mercer, AG Edw. was acquired by Wells, Boatmens was acquired by NationsBank, and on and on. There are fewer high level jobs in the industry as a result. So, compared to 15 years ago, there are fewer high level finance jobs, but probably more lower paying jobs. The one thing that is true about St. Louis is that we have WAY MORE brokers, RIAs, financial planners per capita than most cities - and, ironically, that drives compensation in the industry down for obvious reasons.

The Aquinas Institute was rehabbed by Rick Yackey, who owns the Del Taco and up until recently owned the Pevely building at Grand and Chouteau.