OT grand bridge, pevely dairy property, etc

bk18

We are doing okay in the financial services industry, but we have lost several headquarters from financial services companies and that is regrettable. We have also lost most of the analyst jobs in St. Louis (BACAP, most of the AG Edwards analysts, the Mercantile Trust analysts, etc.). Hammond was acquired by Mercer, AG Edw. was acquired by Wells, Boatmens was acquired by NationsBank, and on and on. There are fewer high level jobs in the industry as a result. So, compared to 15 years ago, there are fewer high level finance jobs, but probably more lower paying jobs. The one thing that is true about St. Louis is that we have WAY MORE brokers, RIAs, financial planners per capita than most cities - and, ironically, that drives compensation in the industry down for obvious reasons.

A significant number of former Edwards analysts were picked up by Stifel, as were execs in public finance, investment banking and other fields. And now, Wells Fargo has added a pretty significant number of jobs in STL with more to come. Stifel's growth has been explosive, as has Scottrade's, and Edward Jones has steadily increased its headcount over the last 15 years or so. It will be interesting to see what happens with the new Edwards firm. Ideally, I'd like to see them move their HQ downtown when they become a big enough to be a self-clearing firm and start adding lots of back office jobs.

It seems like banking is where we've really taken a hit. At least U.S. Bank has retained a large number of its employees from its Mercantile days. Bank of America has not been as kind to STL - I know from experience.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yackey says he's willing to work on a solution to retain the building while reconfiguring it to make it more attractive to potential retailers. Sounds promising.

Bk is upset. He wants it gone. Not good news for bk. Poor guy.

We are doing okay in the financial services industry, but we have lost several headquarters from financial services companies and that is regrettable. We have also lost most of the analyst jobs in St. Louis (BACAP, most of the AG Edwards analysts, the Mercantile Trust analysts, etc.). Hammond was acquired by Mercer, AG Edw. was acquired by Wells, Boatmens was acquired by NationsBank, and on and on. There are fewer high level jobs in the industry as a result. So, compared to 15 years ago, there are fewer high level finance jobs, but probably more lower paying jobs. The one thing that is true about St. Louis is that we have WAY MORE brokers, RIAs, financial planners per capita than most cities - and, ironically, that drives compensation in the industry down for obvious reasons.

St. Louis has the second most licensed financial professionals in the US, only behind NYC. That comes from having 4 finacial firms headquarters here, not a surplus of brokers. We are obviously doing more then okay

There's a Pi in CWE and one going in downtown in 2012...doubt they want three within 10 miles of eachother. It isn't dominos, BK. Owned.

BK owned? LOL

Crack me up sometimes.

"local pizza chain Pi confirmed last week that they're interested."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/article_27e556b4-bff2-5c92-a8d0-68fb869ce9aa.html#ixzz1Wa90Kleb

Lewis Reed, (@PresReed) president of the St. Louis Board of Alderman, tweeted the following: "I've been in talks w/ owners of @pistl about unique concept restaurant in Del Taco bldg on Grand. Exciting! Stay tuned."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/deb-peterson/article_75af5e4e-b235-11e0-b7f1-0019bb30f31a.html#ixzz1Wa9ObF3Y

I wouldn't give a dime to Pi, especially after 2008. I don't go to the Royale either (for obvious reasons).

The past two Dominos CEOs, Doyle and Monaghan, are staunch supporters of Operation Rescue, so my money stays with the Noid.

Posted Image

HENRY

BK owned? LOL

Crack me up sometime

Lewis Reed, (@PresReed) president of the St. Louis Board of Alderman, tweeted the following: "I've been in talks w/ owners of @pistl about unique concept restaurant in Del Taco bldg on Grand. Exciting! Stay tuned."

I'd assume that means that the owner of Pi wants to open a newly branded restaurant. Unique concept restaurant wouldn't be a pizza place that is already located a mile away.

I am sure this fact has caused them to cancel their plans to expand to Dallas.

Actually, there's a place up in Allen, Texas that's an STL-style Pizzeria and is poster-painted in Cardinals, Blues, Rams and Arch pictures. It's pretty good, but a haul from where I'm at in the city. It's more like CWP than Imo's.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not opposed unless they fix that building up seriously and get a really good tenant (Pi or Kaldi's would be amazing).

Ship saved! Looks like Kaldi's and some restaurant (probably from Pi pizza's owners) will be co-tenants of a reconstructed Del Taco Space Ship.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/article_e7521a04-df2c-11e0-b728-0019bb30f31a.html