Open Practice Day 2

SLU_Nick

Just starting a thread hoping for a little more analysis of the team than we got after practice one. We have been clammoring for some billiken bball for 4 months, it comes early, and we get one good video, but no detailed analysis whatsoever. Who cares if it is speculation...it is something.

JB is the biggest wildcard in my tenure as a fan, and he was not mentioned once after practice one(unless I missed it).

Who is going to come up with the player by player analysis. Someone step up for us out-of-towners.

And from my high horse of humor, let me just say that the first person who states the most played out joke of this off-season is already pre-maturely labeled unfunny B)

-Nick

Just starting a thread hoping for a little more analysis of the team than we got after practice one. We have been clammoring for some billiken bball for 4 months, it comes early, and we get one good video, but no detailed analysis whatsoever. Who cares if it is speculation...it is something.

JB is the biggest wildcard in my tenure as a fan, and he was not mentioned once after practice one(unless I missed it).

Who is going to come up with the player by player analysis. Someone step up for us out-of-towners.

And from my high horse of humor, let me just say that the first person who states the most played out joke of this off-season is already pre-maturely labeled unfunny B)

-Nick

I'm going today, anyone else?

-Nick

You mean this?

GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY

Come say hello. I'm 49, 5'10 unshaven with very short hair. I'm wearing plaid shorts with a brown T

I'll be there at 2. Wearing a black Billiken Roar shirt and a Cardinals hat, which will probably be on backwards. I will also have a note pad.

I'm going today, anyone else?

Might be able to stop by for a bit, but I have appointments this afternoon that I can't put off. If I can make it, I am 35, 5'10" with a blue polo and khakis. Sounds like we are placing descriptions in personal ads! :lol:

Might be able to stop by for a bit, but I have appointments this afternoon that I can't put off. If I can make it, I am 35, 5'10" with a blue polo and khakis. Sounds like we are placing descriptions in personal ads! :lol:

In also like long walks in the rain, cooking with that special someone, and cuddling while watching Beaches. Oh yea, a little occasional bondage is nice also

-if the folks that are going get the chance to ask someone in the know the status of RM i would appreciate it, as in if there is an expectation on his return and going to canada

-isn't today the first open practice? i didn't think monday's was open

-apologize if this gets posted twice, something when haywire with the computer or the site, not sure which

-Nick

I echo the thoughts on JB, I'd like to hear how he is coming along.

Practice ends at 4pm - I'm getting pretty excited to read some updates! :D

It actually ended around 3. They didn't have the scrimmage that was listed for the last hour. I would say they worked very hard up to then and that may be the reason the scrimmage was canceled.

I was there starting around 2. Positive stuff: Cory blocked 2 shovel shots when KM and MM beat their man. Manning finished 2 buckets on passes in a 5/5 set. DE seems to have acquired the mid-range jump shot he was missing last year, Cory really dunks with ease - looks more confident, Conklin looking good inside. Cody looked healthy.

Negative stuff; KM had a collision and was having his leg/knee iced shortly thereafter. Loe thinks he has the green light to shoot whenever; some are all net; some aren't. JB had some turnovers, and looked less than what we've been led to expect on his 3 pt drills at the end of practice.

Glaze can't practice except on weekends due to classes. ET hasn't arrived yet. I like all of our guards - probably run 3 most of the time. I really want to see Glaze.

First of all, Manning is definitely thinner than I expected, and is clearly gonna be a work in progress this season. Evans, Ellis, and Loe seem to have put on the most upper body weight/strength. Ellis and Barnett both looked great at end of practice, in the 3pt drill...Ellis with the slight edge. McCall and Mitchell were extremely quick off the dribble and to the basket and gonna be tough for opposing defenders. Loe, Ellis, Barnett, Mitchell, McCall all were on target with their shooting. Barnett and Ellis forced some passes causing turnovers. Remekun had a couple of nice blocks. Barnett was the most vocal on the team today in practice. Seems like the starting 5 are gonna be McCall, Mitchell, Barnett, Loe and Conklin. Team had a nice practice and everyone seemed to bust there asses on the court for the entire two hours. Mitchell, Remekun and Ellis all took hard hits. Mitchell's was the worst, looked like he was took a knee to the thigh and was done after that. Polk still showing interest in his alma mater. Big Earl may be growing his hair out.

Posted Image

First of all, Manning is definitely thinner than I expected, and is clearly gonna be a work in progress this season. Evans, Ellis, and Loe seem to have put on the most upper body weight/strength. Ellis and Barnett both looked great at end of practice, in the 3pt drill...Ellis with the slight edge. McCall and Mitchell were extremely quick off the dribble and to the basket and gonna be tough for opposing defenders. Loe, Ellis, Barnett, Mitchell, McCall all were on target with their shooting. Barnett and Ellis forced some passes causing turnovers. Remekun had a couple of nice blocks. Barnett was the most vocal on the team today in practice. Seems like the starting 5 are gonna be McCall, Mitchell, Barnett, Loe and Conklin. Team had a nice practice and everyone seemed to bust there asses on the court for the entire two hours. Mitchell, Remekun and Ellis all took hard hits. Mitchell's was the worst, looked like he was took a knee to the thigh and was done after that. Polk still showing interest in his alma mater. Big Earl may be growing his hair out.

Posted Image

Backhand has been saying for 2 years that we can't be a tournament team with Cassity logging starter's minutes. Sounds like we will be dancing this year!

Backhand has been saying for 2 years that we can't be a tournament team with Cassity logging starter's minutes. Sounds like we will be dancing this year!

I wrote something short for the guys over at HeardThisBlog on the practice:

http://heardthisblog.com/?p=596

Additionally, I was impressed with Rob Loe's confidence. And while I have never been Brian Conklin's biggest fan on here, I'm pretty excited for his performance this season.

I thought Cory Remekun played well. He dropped a couple of passes but had two really nice blocks. He gets up quickly.

Overall, the team was much more fluid and composed than at the brief practice we got to see last year.

I enjoyed meeting Skip, always a pleasure to find out who the other posters on the board are.

TRIP REPORT:

Got there a little after 2:00. I'm estimating there may have been some 50 fans in attendance.

Yes, I have now drunk the blue kool-aid after watching the last 45 minutes or so of practice, and am predicting far bigger and better results versus last season.

1. As Chris May made the rounds at the end, I asked him about how RM was doing. He told me RM was getting antsy, as he loves coaching practice the most, but RM's health was well, all things considered.

2. I'm completely unaware of the recruiting abilities of the new Associate HC from Loyola, but he is certainly more than comfortable running a practice. I hope that comment doesn't upset the posters with their man crushes on PM, but I fail to see how we are any worse off now than we were last year when comparing the level of talent on our coaching staff.

3. RL - As posted previously on this thread, he showed significant improvement. While on offense, he crashed the boards on shots and worked hard on the defensive end to block out.

4. JB - yes, quite vocal (grunts a lot too - I know, TMI). The Aussie AC got on him a bit about his defense, especially when attempting to fight through screens ("Jake! You're making it too easy for him!"). He may not be quite the next coming of Larry the Legend many of us may had originally thought, but still quite a valuable asset, and could provide a real spark off the bench. Let's keep in mind, this will be only his second year of D-1 competition, and he will now play in a real conference (with all due respect to Butler).

5. CE - he could be 'da man! Defense improved (was he the one who knocked KM to the floor? I can't recall), and his shot seems to have returned. He looked great shooting both the 3 (pick and pop drill was great), and a low post fade away during the after scrimmage shooting drills.

6. Manning - Far better than Husak, Thompson, etc., at this stage in the game. He has some nice post moves, not afraid to mix it up underneath. He will fill out during the next 4 seasons. Not the outside shooter that RL is, at least not as of yet. I predict he may see some significant minutes (10) per game this year. I got to sit close to Manning and the AC (who played for RM @ Utah) after the scrimmage. They worked exclusively on low post defensive positioning. I learned a bunch about when to play a 3/4 fronting position when the ball is on the wing, and full front (butt front as RM calls it) when the ball is in the corner.

7. I witnessed a real clever, nifty under the basket in-bounds play I now plan on teaching to the youth teams I coach. Multiple screens and deception, with KM as the primary shooter; he must have made 9 of the 10 perimter shots he took from this play.

8. BC - what a beast down low, showed a bit of a perimeter game. I only wish he would refrain from pulling his shorts practically all the way up to his arm pits, with his shirt tucked in. His style sense made the old fans/retired men in the stands envious.

9. MM and JJ - great ball handlers, can drive and dish. MM drilled a three with defender on top of him. These both are an improvement over Smif and J. Jordan, in my opinion.

10. CR - stronger, more fluid. Let's hope for a break out year with better consistency.

11. DE - most impressive on both ends. IMHO, the sky is the limit for this great talent.

12. This team is extraordinarily well disciplined. They all communicate, on the court, extremely well, and are completely focused.

RM will not be here forever. Let's truly support this group and enjoy these next couple of years; knowing our history, this level of competition and talent may not come around again for decades.

Go Bills!!!!

8. BC - what a beast down low, showed a bit of a perimeter game. I only wish he would refrain from pulling his shorts practically all the way up to his arm pits, with his shirt tucked in. His style sense made the old fans/retired men in the stands envious.

My buddy's five year old grandson wears his shorts and swimsuit like that! It's NOT just for geezers anymore!!