Commitment

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 We landed a kid who signed with a Top 50 program and who was recruited by several BCS programs. We only have one available scholarship now with no glaring weaknesses on the roster. We enter next season with an outstanding sophomore class of 5 to build around for the next several years. As it stands now, we will only have three scholarships to fill in 2012. We seem to have a good shot at some pretty good prospects in the class of 2012 who are interested in signing early including Ellenson and the kids from Indy. There is also a report of a quality foreign kid we have a good shot at. What in the hell is there to be so worried about? Worry is when you have Dwayne Polk as your starting point guard and there are no other point guards on the roster. Worry is when Luke Meyer is your starting power forward and Justin Johnson is your back-up.

Just so we're clear, Justin Johnson signed with a Top 50 program before coming to SLU. Dwayne Polk also was rated more highly than any of the kids we are recruiting from Indianapolis or Ellenson.

We don't have any glaring weaknesses but I also think we are lacking a true post scoring threat. You can get by without that though.

+1 We landed a kid who signed with a Top 50 program and who was recruited by several BCS programs. We only have one available scholarship now with no glaring weaknesses on the roster. We enter next season with an outstanding sophomore class of 5 to build around for the next several years. As it stands now, we will only have three scholarships to fill in 2012. We seem to have a good shot at some pretty good prospects in the class of 2012 who are interested in signing early including Ellenson and the kids from Indy. There is also a report of a quality foreign kid we have a good shot at. What in the hell is there to be so worried about? Worry is when you have Dwayne Polk as your starting point guard and there are no other point guards on the roster. Worry is when Luke Meyer is your starting power forward and Justin Johnson is your back-up.

Exactly

Nice job not answering a simple question - I'll answer it for you - the roster hasn't looked this good in 10+ years

You're probably right but I didn't answer because your question is pretty irrelevant to my concerns. We are not looking great for the classes of 2012 or 2013 both of which are huge for our program.

Good post ACE.

Just so we're clear, Justin Johnson signed with a Top 50 program before coming to SLU. Dwayne Polk also was rated more highly than any of the kids we are recruiting from Indianapolis or Ellenson.

We don't have any glaring weaknesses but I also think we are lacking a true post scoring threat. You can get by without that though.

Just so we're clear, with your "concerns" about this roster, it's safe to say you've had similar concerns about SLU's roster since you were born 17 years ago? I think it's safe to say that each of those rosters had some sort of area that could be considered a weakness going into the season. I don't disagree with you about the lack of a scoring threat in the post, but honestly we're better off than we've been in years and better off than most programs.

Just so we're clear, with your "concerns" about this roster, it's safe to say you've had similar concerns about SLU's roster since you were born 17 years ago? I think it's safe to say that each of those rosters had some sort of area that could be considered a weakness going into the season. I don't disagree with you about the lack of a scoring threat in the post, but honestly we're better off than we've been in years and better off than most programs.

I would agree with this. I like the look of our roster next season. I've been more optimistic about it than most on this board have, especially our backcourt. And I think RL will be a possible all-conference performer. With the addition of Glaze we fill a hole and add another banger.

I hate to say it, but I think with WR on the team we could've been a legitimate Top 15 team.

My concerns have basis which I have talked about before.

What basis is that? I really want to know. All we have heard is you make blanket statements about how you feel that RM is lazy, however you have not ever offered any real proof, just your 'opinion'. I would like to know how a coach is a lazy recruiter when he has brought in 2 players from Australia, one from New Zealand, another one from Canada, and others from Chicago, Virginia, Wisconsin, Oregon and Minnesota.

Obviously, we know you feel that RM should be focusing more on local recruiting. I get that. However, for you to call a man a lazy recruiter because he doesn't recruit enough locally is kind of silly. It would seem to me that it would take MORE effort to recruit on a national and international stage than it would in your own backyard. If you feel that SLU is doing itself a disservice by not recruiting enough local kids, then I can understand that viewpoint, even if I do not agree. However, to use that to backup your statement that the head coach is lazy actually makes no sense, when you think about it.

Just so you're clear, K-State was far from a Top 50 program when Johnson signed there. They were 13-16 and in a shambles. The point is that Polk was never pushed for playing time. Luke Meyer was a starting 4 by default. Our roster now will have a lot of competition for playing time at every position. That is the big difference. Agree with you that a traditional low post scoring threat would help, but I think we will be able to score in a variety of ways.

You're probably right but I didn't answer because your question is pretty irrelevant to my concerns. We are not looking great for the classes of 2012 or 2013 both of which are huge for our program.

24 hours ago we weren't looking that great for the class of 2011, either, and now everyone is quite happy with it. Just because we haven't already inked someone like Ellenson doesn't mean our class is going to be 3 Paul Eckerle's. What about our past 3 or 4 years of recruiting leads you to believe we won't continue to sign any quality players? The only answer to that should be lack of success on the court. And the only thing that's going to change that between now and recruiting those kids are the people currently on the roster. If you think this is the best lineup top to bottom we've had in 10 years, then why should we be worried?

What basis is that? I really want to know. All we have heard is you make blanket statements about how you feel that RM is lazy, however you have not ever offered any real proof, just your 'opinion'. I would like to know how a coach is a lazy recruiter when he has brought in 2 players from Australia, one from New Zealand, another one from Canada, and others from Chicago, Virginia, Wisconsin, Oregon and Minnesota.

Obviously, we know you feel that RM should be focusing more on local recruiting. I get that. However, for you to call a man a lazy recruiter because he doesn't recruit enough locally is kind of silly. It would seem to me that it would take MORE effort to recruit on a national and international stage than it would in your own backyard. If you feel that SLU is doing itself a disservice by not recruiting enough local kids, then I can understand that viewpoint, even if I do not agree. However, to use that to backup your statement that the head coach is lazy actually makes no sense, when you think about it.

We have pulled those players by offering a couple things:

-great facilities

-a charismatic, HoF coach

-playing time

-A very good recruiter for a an Assistant Head Coach who did an outstanding job of GETTING OUT AND SEEING KIDS PLAY

I worry that the charm of RM wears off as we don't have as much success. We don't offer as much playing time, and we lost the guy who had formed relationships with the vast majority of our younger recruits.

K State was top 50 when JJ signed? DP was rated highly before being injured, I'm not so sure the same could be aid afterwards.

Agreed. what a lazy recruiter would do would be to stick primarily to this area and if you get turned down by the top players, you move on to the second tier players in the area. By contrast, this coaching staff scans the country and the entire world for players. That takes a lot of work.

We have pulled those players by offering a couple things:

-great facilities

-a charismatic, HoF coach

-playing time

-A very good recruiter for a an Assistant Head Coach who did an outstanding job of GETTING OUT AND SEEING KIDS PLAY

I worry that the charm of RM wears off as we don't have as much success. We don't offer as much playing time, and we lost the guy who had formed relationships with the vast majority of our younger recruits.

Just as you stated that I put too much stock into ESPN scouting grades, it seems to me that you are doing the same with Porter Moser. Kids come to play for a head coach, not an assistant. Also, the head coach is the one that 'closes' the deal. While the assistant may do the heavy lifting early in the process, the head coach makes the decision to give the offer. Assistant coaches move all the time, that is why it is important for the head coach to backfill when they move on. Majerus has done that with Whitesell, who has pretty much the same recruiting ties and resume that Moser did (to the point that Moser took his job.)

So, is your opinion about RM being lazy formed around your feeling that Porter did everything and the head coach did nothing? And you have concerns that RM's charm wears off as we don't have as much success, yet he landed a top 50 program recruit after suffering through a 12-19 season. This goes along with playing time being at a premium next season, which is another concern of yours. I just don't understand the notion of Porter Moser, super-recruiter and all-around awesome coach. I find it easier to believe that we are able to sustain that loss just fine and move on with recruiting. RM was doing it before Porter, he will do it after him.

I just don't understand the notion of Porter Moser, super-recruiter and all-around awesome coach. I find it easier to believe that we are able to sustain that loss just fine and move on with recruiting. RM was doing it before Porter, he will do it after him.

In fact, he did it with Glaze, who I doubt Moser recruited. I assume Rick, Alex, or Chris was the contact for Glaze.

Just as you stated that I put too much stock into ESPN scouting grades, it seems to me that you are doing the same with Porter Moser. Kids come to play for a head coach, not an assistant. Also, the head coach is the one that 'closes' the deal. While the assistant may do the heavy lifting early in the process, the head coach makes the decision to give the offer. Assistant coaches move all the time, that is why it is important for the head coach to backfill when they move on. Majerus has done that with Whitesell, who has pretty much the same recruiting ties and resume that Moser did (to the point that Moser took his job.)

So, is your opinion about RM being lazy formed around your feeling that Porter did everything and the head coach did nothing? And you have concerns that RM's charm wears off as we don't have as much success, yet he landed a top 50 program recruit after suffering through a 12-19 season. This goes along with playing time being at a premium next season, which is another concern of yours. I just don't understand the notion of Porter Moser, super-recruiter and all-around awesome coach. I find it easier to believe that we are able to sustain that loss just fine and move on with recruiting. RM was doing it before Porter, he will do it after him.

Exactly! Players come to play for RM, period. He has no clue as to what goes on with SLU recruiting - it is getting really annoying.

I would agree with this. I like the look of our roster next season. I've been more optimistic about it than most on this board have, especially our backcourt. And I think RL will be a possible all-conference performer. With the addition of Glaze we fill a hole and add another banger.

I hate to say it, but I think with WR on the team we could've been a legitimate Top 15 team.

Nice post, NH.

I, too, felt we'd be a top 20 team with Willie. However, as time has passed I have begun to think we're better off without him. He's an awesome talent, but if he were on the roster we'd always be worried that he would get in trouble, wouldn't be working hard, would not pass his classes, etc. If that happened, it would have left a huge hole in the roster. With him gone now, the other bigs have all summer knowing they will be it in the fall. They can prepare, and the coaching staff can prepare, to be without Willie.

I'm pumped for the season!

-the constant bickering or worse is getting really old

-sort of surprising to me that the first time I heard the name of this player is in todays post (this is by no means a knock on htb or anyone, in fact kind of cool that the paper can still break a story, personal opinion)

-kid sounds like a real good get and I hope that to be the case, may not contibute a whole lot this season, but I look fwd to his future

someone (maybe bk) said something like this earlier but i'd like to re-emphasize this, but we might have played arguably our best basketball during the last 8 games last season and we add Kwamain, Barnett, Ellis, Glaze, and Manning to that team. very excited for this season.

If it isn't Duke basketball, NBA, or Red Sox-Yankees ESPN doesn't know s**t about s**t, so I don't give a rats ass how they rate prospects. If a prospect signs with UNC or Duke, they are automatic 99 rating. I can't even watch Sportscenter anymore because I don't care abut Leebron or the NBA.

I'm happy about this recruit and I've been happy about most of the RM recruits. However, I have been dissatisfied with the results. Better recruits with the same results. I'm really hoping we finally break out this next season. 11 years is a long time.

If it isn't Duke basketball, NBA, or Red Sox-Yankees ESPN doesn't know s**t about s**t, so I don't give a rats ass how they rate prospects. If a prospect signs with UNC or Duke, they are automatic 99 rating. I can't even watch Sportscenter anymore because I don't care abut Leebron or the NBA.

Thanks for your opinion, Franchise. It's very relevant to the whole situation.

Btw, nice to read all of the sudden interest. It's like people thought Majerus had just quit recruiting for next year, which is hilarious. This should be a good pick-up for us. It'll give us someone who can contribute down-low right away, which is what we desperately needed. And don't forget this is the 4th ND prep player RM has brought in...Max Banchy was going to walk-on two years ago but got kicked off the team due to a fight.

NH,

Porter was a great guy, no denying that. But go ask any player the main reason they came to SLU and 90% of them will tell you they came to play for Rick Majerus. And that's a fact.