apr score out

5th straight year slu men's basketball team dropped. We are now at 925 which is the line where any lower would bring penalties to the program.

5th straight year slu men's basketball team dropped. We are now at 925 which is the line where any lower would bring penalties to the program.

I knew you couldn't stay away too long. What are the chances you'll start a lindenwood basketball message board and leave the rest of us alone? ******.

I knew you couldn't stay away too long. What are the chances you'll start a lindenwood basketball message board and leave the rest of us alone? ******.

Don't shoot the messenger. This is a serious problem.

Some of the BCS schools can fall below the cutline and negotiate their way out of penalties. USC did so this year, Arkansas should have harsher penalties but they negotiated out of it. We probably won't get that leeway. Falling below 925 means we can lose a scholarship and practice time for the week.

Some of the BCS schools can fall below the cutline and negotiate their way out of penalties. USC did so this year, Arkansas should have harsher penalties but they negotiated out of it. We probably won't get that leeway. Falling below 925 means we can lose a scholarship and practice time for the week.

I don't care. I'm just tired of billiken roy. Everyone else is tired of Metz. And they're allowed to express thir opinions. I'm tired of captain doom and gloom who bashes our program and never says anything positive.

A few random thoughts:

- Anybody that knows how the formula works knew this was coming based on people that transferred after last season. I'm actually pleased that we are right at the border line and not under it. To be clear, SLU's poor APR has virtually nothing to do with a lack of focus on academics and almost entire is due to players leaving the program.

- For any penalties to be put on SLU, I believe we would have to drop below 925 next year and then the following year have a player leave while academically ineligible. Unfortunately, Willie leaving while academically ineligible probably dooms us to dropping below 925 when the next one comes out a year from now but its hard to tell for sure. Still, my understanding is for any penalties to be assessed we'd have to have yet another player leave while being ineligible.

- I've always said the APR is flawed because it encourages schools to pass kids that don't deserve it, but I now think it is outright fraudulent. Kansas has had 1,000 APRs for the past three seasons that have covered 4-year multiperiods. This implies that for a 7 year period Kansas has not had a single player leave the program. Given they've had like 7 guys leave for the NBA early, this seems impossible to me.

- For any penalties to be put on SLU, I believe we would have to drop below 925 next year and then the following year have a player leave while academically ineligible. Unfortunately, Willie leaving while academically ineligible probably dooms us to dropping below 925 when the next one comes out a year from now but its hard to tell for sure. Still, my understanding is for any penalties to be assessed we'd have to have yet another player leave while being ineligible.

Any team that drops below 925 is subject to immediate penalties. They may not receive them as the NCAA has left plenty of room for themselves to play favorites but we aren't one of the favorites.

UConn's score last year was 930. This year it is 893, well below the cutoff. They lost 2 scholarships.

Arkansas is underneath the cutoff point now for the 2nd year in a row. They lose only 1 scholarship and didn't lose any practice time.

Kentucky somehow scored a 974 :blink:

- I've always said the APR is flawed because it encourages schools to pass kids that don't deserve it, but I now think it is outright fraudulent. Kansas has had 1,000 APRs for the past three seasons that have covered 4-year multiperiods. This implies that for a 7 year period Kansas has not had a single player leave the program. Given they've had like 7 guys leave for the NBA early, this seems impossible to me.

Has to do with the formula

Many have wondered whether Josh Selby’s departure from the men’s basketball program — the freshman guard declared for the NBA Draft last month — would hurt the team’s academic status. KU’s associate athletic director for student support, Paul Buskirk, said the NCAA, which introduced the APR system in 2003-04 as a way to enhance each institution’s measure of academic success, provides universities with a list of scenarios that are exempt from harming the score. Medical hardship and extreme family circumstances are a couple of things on the list; advancing to play professional sports is another.

The APR numbers, which are based on a 50 percent retention and 50 percent eligibility scale, are not impacted negatively when a student-athlete leaves an institution because of one of those factors. Therefore, as long as Selby remained eligible in his classes while enrolled at KU, which, according to Buskirk and Self, he did, then the men’s basketball program’s APR number would not suffer because of his departure.

“The NCAA will only forgive that loss if, had the student-athlete stayed at the institution, he would’ve been eligible to compete,” Buskirk said. “That’s where coach Self has been extraordinarily consistent in his message to the students of, ‘We’ll support you in what you want to do, but you will take care of business while you’re here.’ And Josh has taken care of business while he’s been here.”

source: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/may/17/mens-basketball-1-3-ku-athletic-programs-earn-perf/

Wow, 3Bill. Seven posts and already a condemnation of roy? Sounds like an agenda to me. Doom and gloom? In black letters on open white space? I think that emotion would be internal to the reader, how about you?

We all know roy's stance, so be it. All he's doing in this case is being the messenger. Kshoe has some interesting questions as well. The input on Selby shows how warped the process seems to be. I, for one, believe you should count all the early departures in some sort of negative light. But that's just me.

Wont our number go up this year by graduating 2 players? And then go up the following year by graduating several more? I don't see anyone on the current roster that will have troubles staying on task.

Thanks for pointing that out.

So basically to summarize; the NCAA has a loophole that a 1 and done player won't hurt the APR as long as he passes his classes in the first semester and then declares for the NBA prior to any mid-term exams in the 2nd semester? Since grades are basically based on mid-terms and finals as long as the player isn't "off-track" by the time he declares they can claim a 1000 APR.

Yet a serious student that finishes an entire year of study but leaves the school because he isn't getting enough playing time hurts a schools APR?

Wont our number go up this year by graduating 2 players? And then go up the following year by graduating several more? I don't see anyone on the current roster that will have troubles staying on task.

Its not so much about graduating as it is staying on course to graduate. For example, a freshman such as Dwayne Evans gets the same number of points as a graduating senior such as Paul Eckerle, Brian Conklin, etc. does.

Its not so much about graduating as it is staying on course to graduate. For example, a freshman such as Dwayne Evans gets the same number of points as a graduating senior such as Paul Eckerle, Brian Conklin, etc. does.

Do we get Eckerle credit as he was a walk-on this year?

I don't care. I'm just tired of billiken roy. Everyone else is tired of Metz. And they're allowed to express thir opinions. I'm tired of captain doom and gloom who bashes our program and never says anything positive.

I hate to think I'm going to waste a post with this, but everyone is allowed to express their own opinions. Also, SLU's basketball program hasn't been rainbows and butterflies to paraphrase possibly the worst band of the 20th century, Maroon 5.

It's been cloudy with a chance of shitstorms for a while now with our dear beloved SLU basketball program. The quicker you take off your Pollyanna glasses and start taking a cynical view of the world, the better.

I hate to think I'm going to waste a post with this, but everyone is allowed to express their own opinions. Also, SLU's basketball program hasn't been rainbows and butterflies to paraphrase possibly the worst band of the 20th century, Maroon 5.

It's been cloudy with a chance of shitstorms for a while now with our dear beloved SLU basketball program. The quicker you take off your Pollyanna glasses and start taking a cynical view of the world, the better.

I see you completely changed your original post. Now does this count as two posts?

I see you completely changed your original post. Now does this count as two posts?

Metz is a clever one...Now he can only edit posts up to 30 minutes after the original post.