Bills offer Smith

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a freshman Beal scored 8 points a game and was the second best freshman on his own team. I saw him play in 7th grade and 8th grade and while he was obviously very good, he was nowhere near as dominant respective to his age as he is now. Nate Latsch saw him play at SLU's team camp heading into freshman year and told the SLU coaching staff he thought he could be a player, but we did not begin recruiting him until after Florida and Illinois had already jumped in. That is what I know of the situation.

I don't really care if you buy my ACT score. Like I said, the tests are dumb and don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. That said, I got a 36 on reading comprehension section, although I feel no urge to prove that to you.

I am a joke? I'm pretty sure I watch more basketball, follow more basketball and play more basketball than you do. I don't really know what you mean by saying I'm a joke (that wasn't an ACT question) but I feel confident in my understanding of how basketball works I don't really care if you agree.

I will call the kids whatever I want to call them but I appreciate your concern.

NH.

Newsflash. Almost ANY highschool player who starts as a Freshman immediately gets recruited. Guess it depends upon what your definition of recruiting is but certainly they get in a "watch list". Using your post as fact, if Beal is a starter and second best player on Chaminade's team as a Freshman, you are actually telling us that he popped up on Florida's watch list before that of Mizzou, SLU, SIUC, MO State, etc.?? I don't believe it.

Also, I have never met or talked with Bradley Beal but I would bet that he chose Florida for reasons other than them allegedly being the first school to recruit him. Back to back National Championships, great young college coach, great weather, conference, school....

I see heardthisblog.com is being cited by some fellow blogs (Seattlepi Blog), great work guys! You guys are the best source I've found for Billiken and A-10 recruiting information. Heck, I'd call you the ultimate source.

we havent had anything close to it here at billikens.com since pdiddy quit walking the streets for us.

NH.

Newsflash. Almost ANY highschool player who starts as a Freshman immediately gets recruited. Guess it depends upon what your definition of recruiting is but certainly they get in a "watch list". Using your post as fact, if Beal is a starter and second best player on Chaminade's team as a Freshman, you are actually telling us that he popped up on Florida's watch list before that of Mizzou, SLU, SIUC, MO State, etc.?? I don't believe it.

Also, I have never met or talked with Bradley Beal but I would bet that he chose Florida for reasons other than them allegedly being the first school to recruit him. Back to back National Championships, great young college coach, great weather, conference, school....

And coeds that will knock your socks off!

They just set up Google Alerts for words like "Martin Breunig." That post happened to come up. Doesn't mean they have credibility. Just because Robert Gibbs or Jay Carney says something doesn't mean I have to believe it.

Unfortunately people on the board seem to question where you are coming from in your above comments. What can be perceived as you 'bashing' a website regarding information that many of us appreceiate (one of the main points that drew me to this board), probably is actually just insecurity or jealously towards the recognition this person (or people) receive for the value they bring. Try to harness your emotions for good.

That said, what good can come from this? I think a lot. What are the website addresses of your developing (or failed) sites? I am sure that these guys could offer up some constructive criticism or ideas that could help you get moving. If they are busy, I would gladly provide you some insight for changes to existing sites or ideas for your future website endeavours.

This can be a great learning experience.

Patrick

heardthisblog.com is reporting that smith is choosing preferred walk-on status at Wisc. over a schollie to SLU. ouch.

not the end of the world and maybe a blessing in disguise as we could possibly have an extra schollie for next year, but still, ouch.

heardthisblog.com is reporting that smith is choosing preferred walk-on status at Wisc. over a schollie to SLU. ouch.

not the end of the world and maybe a blessing in disguise as we could possibly have an extra schollie for next year, but still, ouch.

Working on the story now, but it seems the spring signing period brought no big breaks for the Billikens, so far..

Meh.

Who knows what played into that choice.

Maybe the kid knows that he isnt good enough to compete even at the MM level and he would rather ride the pine in the big 10 than the a-10.

Maybe the kids parents are pretty well off and paying for everything so the schollie doesnt really matter to him.

Maybe he want to be closer to home (friends, GF, family)

Maybe it has been a dream of his to play for Wisc.

At first glance losing a kid to a school who didnt even make him an offer looks bad but there are probably tons of factors involved.

This reinforces my original opinion that the kid was likely offered the Eckerle deal. I think if we had signed him, Majerus would have made it very clear that the scholarship would be evaluated on a year-by-year basis. Some of the folks on the Wisconsin board who saw him play thought that he could eventually earn a scholarship there. I guess the kid thought he would rather take that chance as opposed to a situation here where he'd only have a guarantee of a one-year scholarship here.

This reinforces my original opinion that the kid was likely offered the Eckerle deal. I think if we had signed him, Majerus would have made it very clear that the scholarship would be evaluated on a year-by-year basis. Some of the folks on the Wisconsin board who saw him play thought that he could eventually earn a scholarship there. I guess the kid thought he would rather take that chance as opposed to a situation here where he'd only have a guarantee of a one-year scholarship here.

Or that while he could have a scholly he wasn't likely to play much.

This is frustrating news...a kid would rather pay to play for Wisconsin than getting a scholarship here. Damn.

Perhaps. But it wasn't like this was going to be a huge 'get'. He was basically going to be a warm body on the bench whose only value next year would be for practice.

Perhaps. But it wasn't like this was going to be a huge 'get'. He was basically going to be a warm body on the bench whose only value next year would be for practice.

When you put it like that...I guess this will be easy to move on then.

When you put it like that...I guess this will be easy to move on then.

I'm actually kind of happy we didn't get him. We simply don't need another 6-2 guard at this point and I dont get why majerus recruited him.

If his parents have a reasonable amount of money paying in state tuition for uw vs. a free ride a slu isn't a huge loss for him, especially given his stated goal of playing in the big 10.

Kids sign at colleges for different reasons. Smith offers a prime example here ---- didn't matter we were/weren't the first. Didn't matter he gets a full ride/nada. Didn't matter that our HOF coach was an *sshole/great guy. Didn't matter if it was close/far from home. The kid wanted to play in the BIG TEN and wanted to go to multiple NCAA TOURNEYS.

I'm with kshoe on my feelings on "losing" this kid. Kshoe is exactly right when he says we don't need another 6'2" guard. Bruenig is more important to me because the interior of Remekun and Conklin doesn't excite me when you see Ellis and Low as perimeter guys. Of course, Bruenig's knock is that he likes playing facing the basket, which to me says Loe and Ellis redux. The foreigners all seem to be like that, even and especially the big guys. I don't believe he will be THEE answer, but I like what he and Manning would add as far as depth is concerned.

Unfortunately people on the board seem to question where you are coming from in your above comments. What can be perceived as you 'bashing' a website regarding information that many of us appreceiate (one of the main points that drew me to this board), probably is actually just insecurity or jealously towards the recognition this person (or people) receive for the value they bring. Try to harness your emotions for good.

That said, what good can come from this? I think a lot. What are the website addresses of your developing (or failed) sites? I am sure that these guys could offer up some constructive criticism or ideas that could help you get moving. If they are busy, I would gladly provide you some insight for changes to existing sites or ideas for your future website endeavours.

This can be a great learning experience.

Patrick

I caught news of the punishment handed down the Metz, probably appropriate for the volume of non-sense he throws up (literally) on this board. Is this new form of punishment referred to as the 'Metz Rule'? If so, kudos to this guy for single handedly changing the rules and regulations of this board. To have something named after you is no small feat.

I only respond to my above comments because maybe this temporary set back and free time can be used positively. Has Metz saught out website help from the guys of heardthisblog? I hope so, I think if he can get some website and journalism skills, he could really take some of his other billiken website ideas far....only more avenues for the fans to get their information.

Fall seven times, stand up eight. ~Japanese Proverb

Patrick