Salecich to Missouri Southern

Salecich to transfer to Missouri Southern. Little surprised he stayed in Missouri.

May 10, 2011

ST. LOUIS - Saint Louis University head men's basketball coach Rick Majerus announced today that guard Christian Salecich (Gold Coast, Australia) will transfer to Missouri Southern. Salecich had previously been granted a release from his SLU scholarship to pursue other opportunities.

"Christian is an exemplary student-athlete," Majerus said. "He did a fantastic job in the classroom and always tried as hard as he could on the court. I know he will be able to play a more meaningful role for Missouri Southern, and he looks forward to that challenge. We thank him for his commitment to SLU and wish him nothing but the best in the future. We will always be good friends."

"The past two years at Saint Louis have been amazing, and I thank SLU for the opportunity," Salecich said. "I love the school, the fans have been great and, most importantly, I love my teammates and coaches like family. It is hard to leave, but the coaching staff and I decided equally that Missouri Southern is a better option for me. I hope to become a meaningful factor there and help them win games."

Salecich played in 67 games (35 starts) in his two-year Billiken career, averaging 4.5 ppg. As a freshman in 2009-10, he played in all 36 games, starting 31, and averaged 6.4 ppg and 2.3 rpg. Salecich again played in every game last season and scored 2.3 ppg.

Southern has a strong program, they graduated their best player, a 2 guard, Salecich can be the man on day 1. SOuthern went 26-5 last season, 2nd round of the d-2 tourney.

Robert Korn coaches Southern, he's a follower of Gene Bartow for many years and he coached against the Billikens many times. Jeff Boschee, former kansas standout, is also on the staff there.

Good luck to him! Sorry you are headed to Joplin, MO though ;)

Having only been in St.Louis a handful of times this past season, I feel a little like an outsider around the issues leading to Salecich leaving. I've got to say that Southern Missouri is a surprise. I would most likely go somewhere with a strong academic reputation with basketball not being my priority, or I would return to Australia. It seems like Southern Mo doesn't provide much of an advantage in academics or basketball. In either case, good luck and hopefully he'll make a visit for some of our games next year.

Patrick

Having only been in St.Louis a handful of times this past season, I feel a little like an outsider around the issues leading to Salecich leaving. I've got to say that Southern Missouri is a surprise. I would most likely go somewhere with a strong academic reputation with basketball not being my priority, or I would return to Australia. It seems like Southern Mo doesn't provide much of an advantage in academics or basketball. In either case, good luck and hopefully he'll make a visit for some of our games next year.

Patrick

CS always seemed a good kid. Team oriented. And tried hard. This does not sound like a force out by RM. Quite the contrary actually. CS wants to play and just couldn't see many mpg's coming his way.

Good luck CS.

Since this has been news for a month or so now and we have no one committed yet, almost no chance that CS was "forced out." 99.9% sure that no one else is transferring unless they fail this semester. It would be announced by now.

Good luck CS.

Since this has been news for a month or so now and we have no one committed yet, almost no chance that CS was "forced out." 99.9% sure that no one else is transferring unless they fail this semester. It would be announced by now.

Its Little you know my friend CS had 2 choices leave or leave ! No option no negotiation Fullstop end of story.

Lets not forget SLU were banking on 2 signings and WR playing. Thats why CS was pushed through the Majerus Revolving Door

Good Luck to CS hope it works out for him.

Its Little you know my friend CS had 2 choices leave or leave ! No option no negotiation Fullstop end of story.

Lets not forget SLU were banking on 2 signings and WR playing. Thats why CS was pushed through the Majerus Revolving Door

They were never sure WR would be playing, far less than 50% according to Porter.

Anyway, best of luck to CS. He seemed like a good dude and even laughed at my jokes during the Dayton game two years ago.

They were not banking on Willie playing...if anything, they were banking on him not playing.

Rammer had some nice things to say about CS in his 'Parting Shots' on The Fastlane today. Said that he was a great, smart young man who played very hard and that he will miss very much. Also stated that CS realized that he wasn't going to get any playing time his final two years so he is going somewhere where he can play regularly and finish his education.

I don't disagree with the practice of recruiting over and cutting underachieving players, but why would the coaches tell an experienced player to get out if they didn't have a recruit waiting to immediately take the open scholarship? Unless Chievous privately verballed to us and then backed out. Thanks for trying to educate me though.

I don't disagree with the practice of recruiting over and cutting underachieving players, but why would the coaches tell an experienced player to get out if they didn't have a recruit waiting to immediately take the open scholarship? Unless Chievous privately verballed to us and then backed out. Thanks for trying to educate me though.

+1. If one is going to subscribe to the "RM is evil and doesn't care about players" theory, then why didn't he just tell CS that all is well for next year and then just use him as a practice player? He knows the system and is better than a walkon, so it seems to me he would be more useful to coach in practice.

Why the hell would you travel all the way to the US and then transfer to MO Southern?

Whyt didn't CS just decide to go home to Aussie then? Maybe the kid realized after 2 years of D-1 ball that he wasn't going to continue at SLU in the same vein he did his first 2 years and thought he could play regularly at a lower tier college...crazy, I know. Obviously, his dreams when he came here weren't met. Still, nothing points to him being placed in a terrible situation during his time here and he still gets to obtain a college degree and play basketball on a competitive level.