Peeler and Bonner

It is being widely reported that Peeler is very interested in returning to Mizzou and becoming an assistant on Haith's staff. To me, this would be a home run for Mizzou and Frank Haith. It would excite a fanbase that at this point is at best skeptical about the Haith hiring. Theoretically it would also help on the recruiting trail if there is a former NBA player on the bench.

If there is something obvious I am not aware of I am sorry, but wouldn't Anthony Bonner have a similar impact if he joined our current staff? He is still very revered in St. Louis and it would give the basketball fan in St. Louis someone to connect with on the current staff. It would also seemingly help a great deal in terms of recruiting.

It almost seems to obvious. What am I missing?

It is being widely reported that Peeler is very interested in returning to Mizzou and becoming an assistant on Haith's staff. To me, this would be a home run for Mizzou and Frank Haith. It would excite a fanbase that at this point is at best skeptical about the Haith hiring. Theoretically it would also help on the recruiting trail if there is a former NBA player on the bench.

If there is something obvious I am not aware of I am sorry, but wouldn't Anthony Bonner have a similar impact if he joined our current staff? He is still very revered in St. Louis and it would give the basketball fan in St. Louis someone to connect with on the current staff. It would also seemingly help a great deal in terms of recruiting.

Wondering the same thing. Bonner would be great for the school / team. Wonder if Rick even knows about him?

Wondering the same thing. Bonner would be great for the school / team. Wonder if Rick even knows about him?

Locals will have to comment on how AB did at Vashon. I seem to recall there were problems. That said, AB doesn't seem to have the qualifications to be the associate HC. Yeah, he might be great to be the 3rd guy on the bench. But his real value would lie in recruiting due to his NBA background and in schooling our bigs on the tricks of the trade. I'd hope RM brings in a former HC w/ mid west recruiting experience. Biancardi and Lickliter come to mind. Wasn't Lickliter the man behind Butler's resurgence?

it seems to me not many ex-nba/pro's with the time (and money) at that level like peeler or bonner seem to have the patience and desire to succeed at the collegiate level. i always think of the fiasco that was clyde drexel at houston. what a disaster. bonner didnt have the stomach to handle vashon. i doubt he will want to spend his summers in hot aau gyms 16 hours a day and then hob nobbing with the street agents.

i love anthony bonner the player and legend. let's leave it at that rather than tarnish that vision.

Locals will have to comment on how AB did at Vashon. I seem to recall there were problems. That said, AB doesn't seem to have the qualifications to be the associate HC. Yeah, he might be great to be the 3rd guy on the bench. But his real value would lie in recruiting due to his NBA background and in schooling our bigs on the tricks of the trade. I'd hope RM brings in a former HC w/ mid west recruiting experience. Biancardi and Lickliter come to mind. Wasn't Lickliter the man behind Butler's resurgence?

That was Barry Collier.

What a bunch of contradictions by the Missouri folks. On the one hand, the positive spin about Frank Haith is that he will run a clean program and graduate players. When concerns are raised about his ability as a coach, people are pointing to the fact that Jeff Capel and/or Anthony Peeler may become assistants. Are you kidding? Both have questionable backgrounds and would not be wanted on the staff of any team that is serious about cleaning up its image.

What a bunch of contradictions by the Missouri folks. On the one hand, the positive spin about Frank Haith is that he will run a clean program and graduate players. When concerns are raised about his ability as a coach, people are pointing to the fact that Jeff Capel and/or Anthony Peeler may become assistants. Are you kidding? Both have questionable backgrounds and would not be wanted on the staff of any team that is serious about cleaning up its image.

Capel as an assistant was a rumor that was never substantiated. Peeler's issues were personal and about 19 years ago as a 22 year old. But a question for you. Why would you hire a known college basketball cheater like Biancardi(the bag man for Jim O'Brien at tOSU and even consider doing it again?

I have often wondered why as a former NBA player --- used to the associated rags and riches of being such --- would want to demean and lower himself to levels necessary in hobnobbing with aau street agents; snot-nosed, know-it-all, Jordan-to-be teenagers; entourage strap-hangers; baby mommas; and smart-ass Papa Statens and Slatens.

I would offer that not a single ninth to twelfth grader knows who Anthony Bonner is and what (little) he did at the NBA level. If they do, they might be related or at least local to the St. Louis area. He quit playing in 1996 -- meaning a kid born that year would be 15 right now and in the recruiting eyesights, with no recollection of Bonner being NBA-significant (which he wasn't). With no history, Metz's statement of Bonner "payuing immediate dividends" is absurd.

Slu72 says Bonner would be able "to school our bigs on tricks of the trade." Really? In his book "Foul!", Connie Hawkins (my first fave pro player), talks about an encounter with George Mikan, then the dominant big man of the day. Mikan had an unstoppable hook shot. Hawkins asked him to teach him and Mikan went out on the court, did ten straight hook shots, making them all, and said "There you go, that's how it's done." All I'm saying is that teaching --- no matrter where --- is an art and because Bonner hasn't shown any inclination to do this, what makes you think he can or wants to?

And SLUDrew says this is a good move because Bonner is "still very revered in St. Louis." Yeah? By whom? Us, of course, but I doubt you can say that about the general area. Which I stil believe doesn't produce kids that will give us the time of day.

And broy points out the fiasco and failure that was Clyde Drexxler's return to Houston. Bonner failed at Vashon for whatever reason. And he has shown no inclination to come home to either SLU or coaching in the long run.

Bonner was what, almost ten years before Claggs. Is Claggs relevant in this discussion? I can't think of one Saint Louis University basketball grad fitting this category and being relevant or any good.

I have often wondered why as a former NBA player --- used to the associated rags and riches of being such --- would want to demean and lower himself to levels necessary in hobnobbing with aau street agents; snot-nosed, know-it-all, Jordan-to-be teenagers; entourage strap-hangers; baby mommas; and smart-ass Papa Statens and Slatens.

I would offer that not a single ninth to twelfth grader knows who Anthony Bonner is and what (little) he did at the NBA level. If they do, they might be related or at least local to the St. Louis area. He quit playing in 1996 -- meaning a kid born that year would be 15 right now and in the recruiting eyesights, with no recollection of Bonner being NBA-significant (which he wasn't). With no history, Metz's statement of Bonner "payuing immediate dividends" is absurd.

Slu72 says Bonner would be able "to school our bigs on tricks of the trade." Really? In his book "Foul!", Connie Hawkins (my first fave pro player), talks about an encounter with George Mikan, then the dominant big man of the day. Mikan had an unstoppable hook shot. Hawkins asked him to teach him and Mikan went out on the court, did ten straight hook shots, making them all, and said "There you go, that's how it's done." All I'm saying is that teaching --- no matrter where --- is an art and because Bonner hasn't shown any inclination to do this, what makes you think he can or wants to?

And SLUDrew says this is a good move because Bonner is "still very revered in St. Louis." Yeah? By whom? Us, of course, but I doubt you can say that about the general area. Which I stil believe doesn't produce kids that will give us the time of day.

And broy points out the fiasco and failure that was Clyde Drexxler's return to Houston. Bonner failed at Vashon for whatever reason. And he has shown no inclination to come home to either SLU or coaching in the long run.

Bonner was what, almost ten years before Claggs. Is Claggs relevant in this discussion? I can't think of one Saint Louis University basketball grad fitting this category and being relevant or any good.

Great points. +1

Reminder: not all great former players make great or even good coaches. Just like RM is always looking for players who have "passion" for the game - we used to call them "gym rats" - guys who like to eat, sleep... spend every waking hour in the gym, the same is true for coaches. Some guys simply cannot stand being away from the game. When their playing days are over, they immediately get into coaching. They take any job available regardless of pay. They simply enjoy being around the players. They put their hours in and then work their way up the ladder. RM, for instance, repeatedly states that he prefers practices and the teaching that goes with it.

With Bonner, he was away from the game for a long time after he played. Instead of coming back as a lowly assistant coach, he was given the head coaching job at Vashon. The results were not good and the he has not coached - at all -- since. To me, Bonner would be a terrible coach -- even a third assistant.

Jamaal Walker, Diener, Claggett come to mind as better alternatives. Possibly Kevin Lisch will soon want to get into coaching. I don't know what he is up to, but Anthony Drejaj always seemsd like a guy who might be a good coach. Other than Claggett, who is the other local high school coach who played for Mizzou? Kelly Thames? Possibly, a local high school coach could be considered. For instance, I don't anything about him, but DeSmet Jesuit High has a young head coach in his 20's (and a really good player on his team) who might want to leave high school for college coaching. Still, I would think most of these would be better replacement for our 3rd and 4th coaches. Our number 2 coach should have a considerable amout of actual experience at the college level.

Let's forget about coaching pedigree for a moment; if you were a young man playing high school ball, especially a frontcourt player, who could you relate to more, the head Coach at DeSmet or a collegiate All-American who made it to the NBA.

Let's face reality for a moment; I am SURE that SLU has a "lily-white" reputation if you will excuse the phrase. Would not an African American on the coaching staff help counter that to a degree? I realize Tony Young is there but he is not Anthony Bonner

There is more to choosing a staff than just who can draw up the best inbounds play.

I don't know that I would use Bonner's brief post-Irons stint as HC at Vashon as any indication of his ability to be an effective DI assistant coach.

He did have an awesome quote about taking the Vashon job, comparing it to "walking into a situation with gasoline underwear."

I don't know that I would use Bonner's brief post-Irons stint as HC at Vashon as any indication of his ability to be an effective DI assistant coach.

He did have an awesome quote about taking the Vashon job, comparing it to "walking into a situation with gasoline underwear."

Just like if given a good job at SLU. Bonner would first need to pay his dues and earn the job and not be a candidate, or receive the job, based upon his accomplishments as a player. Instead, Bonner has showed no real interest in coaching - both prior to his 1 year at Vahson and following that. Wrong fit, wrong job, wrong time, not able to replace Irons... I get it. But why no coaching -- anywhere -- since then? To me, the lack of coaching speaks volumes about Bonner's passion and interest in the game.

Just like if given a good job at SLU. Bonner would first need to pay his dues and earn the job and not be a candidate, or receive the job, based upon his accomplishments as a player. Instead, Bonner has showed no real interest in coaching - both prior to his 1 year at Vahson and following that. Wrong fit, wrong job, wrong time, not able to replace Irons... I get it. But why no coaching -- anywhere -- since then? To me, the lack of coaching speaks volumes about Bonner's passion and interest in the game.

+1

I just doubt that Bonner would be intrested.

If the Bills wanted to go with a former player with very little coaching experince I would rather have them a look at Justin Tatum.

He didnt have the playing career Bonner had but at this point Im not sure that really matters.

The kids that he will be recruiting werent even born when Bonner was playing.

Tatum has done great work at Soldan and I would imagine has great ties with the local AAU and HS players.

I also think he would have an advantage over Bonner in being closer to their age.

tatum also has a son with some potential.

Really?

How old is his son?

Even if Tatum had him at 18 the kid wouldnt even be in high school yet.

I dont really know how good of a coach/recruiter he would be but if at all possible I would like to see SLU go with a younger local kid who knows the area and can relate to the kids.

tatum also has a son with some potential.

His son was rated as a top ten 6th grader I believe.

Tatum is one of the top recruiters at high schools in the area in my opinion. Him, Kelvin Lee, Corey Frazier are all very good at getting good players to live in their district/want to go to a catholic school. That is not a knock, I wish my school's coach was a little more gifted in this area (what's up 0-8 in MCCs).

In all honesty, I would like either Tatum or Frazier. I think recruiting is the most important part in any next hire.

101 just did a radio show about AB and his life. They replay it from time to time.

AB currently is a pastor/motivational speaker living at home with his mother, taking care of his kid. He works with Floyd Irons. He has no inclination to be a coach at any level and as long as remains a friend to felon Irons he can't be anything but a former star at SLU.

101 just did a radio show about AB and his life. They replay it from time to time.

AB currently is a pastor/motivational speaker living at home with his mother, taking care of his kid. He works with Floyd Irons. He has no inclination to be a coach at any level and as long as remains a friend to felon Irons he can't be anything but a former star at SLU.

what do you mean "he works with floyd irons." does he sit with him while floyd works on his numbers and letters on a dry erase board? is he working on potty training with him? is he working on real estate scams? what does "he works with floyd irons." mean?

what do you mean "he works with floyd irons." does he sit with him while floyd works on his numbers and letters on a dry erase board? is he working on potty training with him? is he working on real estate scams? what does "he works with floyd irons." mean?

AB is a non affiliated pastor/motivational speaker, as is Floyd. They speak together at venues. You should listen to the show on 101 Roy. After awhile it is kinda hard to figure out what they are doing together, or how they make money at it. Floyd is probably working on some scam. Jorge Wallace gives extensive interviews during the show as well.

Guest BillikenReport

I'm not sure how many college programs would want to get involved with a guy who quit on his high school team during the season to pursue another job.

Bonner isn't the answer.

There are other SLU products who are high school coaches in the St. Louis area and mentioned on this thread who would be much better choices and of those guys there really isn't a candidate who stands out from the pack. They all have their positives and negatives.