Willie on Twitter

Box and Won

When you're 19 or 20 ..... you are bullet-proof, ageless, invincible, all-knowing .... c'mon, we all were (admit it). I remember my folks telling me life goes fast --- did I believe it? Hell no. Now I'm an expert but no amount of coaching, coaxing or whatever would have educated me back then. None will do that now ... for mostly anybody.

WR is likely aligned with alot of these collegiate athletes .... school is just a means to an end. I stay eligible, I play. Once play is over, then the real work begins and that's keeping these disinterested guys in school. Heck, I owuld wager that a lot of college seniors get to mid-terms, make grades to stay eligible fo rth epost season, and then walk away. I always think of the forward at Maryland .. Nik Caner-Medly or something like that ... Bobby Brannen at Cincy .. guys that were not going to be NBAers, ever, dropping out of school and prepping for European League try-outs. Playing is all that matters and doing whatever you can to get that court fix works for you.

I am in the camp that says we don't see Willie in Billiken blue ever again. And I said that back in October. Hoping against it however.

When you're 19 or 20 ..... you are bullet-proof, ageless, invincible, all-knowing .... c'mon, we all were (admit it). I remember my folks telling me life goes fast --- did I believe it? Hell no. Now I'm an expert but no amount of coaching, coaxing or whatever would have educated me back then. None will do that now ... for mostly anybody.

WR is likely aligned with alot of these collegiate athletes .... school is just a means to an end. I stay eligible, I play. Once play is over, then the real work begins and that's keeping these disinterested guys in school. Heck, I owuld wager that a lot of college seniors get to mid-terms, make grades to stay eligible fo rth epost season, and then walk away. I always think of the forward at Maryland .. Nik Caner-Medly or something like that ... Bobby Brannen at Cincy .. guys that were not going to be NBAers, ever, dropping out of school and prepping for European League try-outs. Playing is all that matters and doing whatever you can to get that court fix works for you.

I am in the camp that says we don't see Willie in Billiken blue ever again. And I said that back in October. Hoping against it however.

Taj, you could be right but I'd be more than happy to bet anyone that WR will be in uniform next year. The chances are much greater than 50% he'll be back.

Back in October, the chances of him being in uniform were basically nil. He had asked for a transfer and was seemingly about to enroll at K-state. He's come a long way since then and the chances of him returning have increased dramaticially but some seem to want to always doubt...

Taj, you could be right but I'd be more than happy to bet anyone that WR will be in uniform next year. The chances are much greater than 50% he'll be back.

Back in October, the chances of him being in uniform were basically nil. He had asked for a transfer and was seemingly about to enroll at K-state. He's come a long way since then and the chances of him returning have

increased dramaticially but some seem to want to always doubt...

Agree with kshoe on this. No one mentioned that the day before this he mentioned how he and the other billikens were going to take the a10 title next year. I believe Willie will be back and we are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Wow! How true this is. I thought college was tough until I had a mortgage, kids, tuition, taxes, health issues, financial worries, etc. I would literally saw off any appendage (well, maybe not just ANY appendage) to go back to college. Maybe for Willie it seems tough, unpleasant, whatever, but through the lens of time, you realize how incredibly AWESOME those college year were. And, for me, I was working two jobs, taking 18 hours in honors courses, and living on the minimum meal plan (14 meals a week) and I STILL realize how great it was compared to real life. Willie - wake up and enjoy it, it only lasts so long, basketball or no basketball.

Come to think of it, if I also had basketball to look forward to on top of being on a possible top 25 team, in retrospect, I would have been wetting my pants to have the opportunity. I may go re-enroll tomorrow morning!!!! (technically, I think I have one year of eligibility remaining....)

Not every college kid, including some at SLU, had the same academic preparation from ages 0-17. That doesn't seem too difficult to figure out. This doesn't include non-academic matters such as emotional, mental, social preparation, home life, etc...as a kid either.

As for the tweet. It was just that, one tweet. Considering this is a message board, some people will overreact soon to other tweets soon, perhaps even from the same person, good, bad, indifferent.

Kshoe --- I'm all for being wrong and you being right on this one.

joedavola --- agree with you on the issue that one tweet, pulled obviously out of context, does what it does when the tweet you mention is left out of the conversation. Your tweet notification inspires hope.

Still -- I wish kshoe's confidence level was higher than it is -- I'd say 90% considering he is in school and trying --- so I'm still uncertain at thi spoint and will believe it when I see it.

Kshoe --- I'm all for being wrong and you being right on this one.

joedavola --- agree with you on the issue that one tweet, pulled obviously out of context, does what it does when the tweet you mention is left out of the conversation. Your tweet notification inspires hope.

Still -- I wish kshoe's confidence level was higher than it is -- I'd say 90% considering he is in school and trying --- so I'm still uncertain at thi spoint and will believe it when I see it.

I'm confused by your statement. My confidence level is pretty high. Are you saying you think there is a 90% chance WR will be on the team next year? And that's not high to you? That seems very high to me. For example, if there was a 90% chance of us making the tourney next year, I think it would be prudent to take those days in mid-March off now...

There's probably a 10% chance of just about any player not being a contributor next year due to transfer, injury, grades, whatever. KM could do one of his patented drives in practice, get undercut, land on his shoulder and be out for the season.

If you really think there is only a 10% WR won't be back and this is concerning you, I'd suggest you are living your billikens life way to much as a glass 10% empty guy and not enough of a glass 90% full guy.

We are going to be very good next year and I don't understand why people want to keep worrying that it won't happen!

Or we're sane and not completely paranoid like alot of the Billiken faithful have become.

If you are a Billiken fan and still sane and not paranoid, you just haven't been a fan long enough.

Dude...when has anything ever gone right? Seriously. I'm the biggest optimist on this board, but there is no way you can go into next season without something in the back of your mind saying it will get effed up somehow.

We are due for some good luck....

Taj79

"a lot of college seniors"

"a lot or college athletes"???????????????

Where are the figures? Triangle remembers a commercial produced by the NCAA last year about the number of "college athletes" that graduate with their degrees and go on about their lives outside of athletics, it was in the many thousands, every year!

so it goes.

-box, there is more good luck for us out there somewhere, there has to be

I hope you are right. If we drag out all of our horses next year, my prediction is a tourney birth. My other prediction is that I will be so amped up and ready to go that I will drink myself black out drunk and miss the damn game. That would be my luck. Something tells me a lot of this board might be right there with me.

-box, there is more good luck for us out there somewhere, there has to be

Let's not forget the old saying, "you make your own luck." Like this year, the school made us a whole lot of bad luck. But back to WR. I think he's a critical piece, very critical, to us having the over the rainbow success we're all aniticipating next year will bring. If he's not back in blue, we've got to hope/pray that CR, RL, JM or the dreaded player to be named later can be the inside force he was and hopefully will be once again.

I hope you are right. If we drag out all of our horses next year, my prediction is a tourney birth. My other prediction is that I will be so amped up and ready to go that I will drink myself black out drunk and miss the damn game. That would be my luck. Something tells me a lot of this board might be right there with me.

same page