Next Season Starters

Not worried as RM can and will put the right guys on the floor at the right times. Still, I believe our biggest weakness these past two years -- not just this year -- has been our poor outside shooting and I don't believe we can rely upon our PG and our bigs to hit from the outside. DE is really good and needs to play and start but he cannot hit the 3 so when DE is on the floor we will need someone who can.

Well our Pg and bigs are our best 3 point shooters. Who else can we get? The roster is pretty much set. Barnett will be a 3 point threat, I just don't think he starts. McCall as well but how much can we play a lineup with 2 guys who are 5'10? 3 point shooting will probably continue to be our weakness next year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well our Pg and bigs are our best 3 point shooters. Who else can we get? The roster is pretty much set. Barnett will be a 3 point threat, I just don't think he starts. McCall as well but how much can we play a lineup with 2 guys who are 5'10? 3 point shooting will probably continue to be our weakness next year.

it, let's impose our will on matchups for a change. Aside from KM, go big.

KM - 5'10"

JB - 6'5"

DE - 6'5"

RL - 6'11"

WR - 6'9"

Good quickness still from the guards, tremendous size and shooting/athleticism (RL/WR) down low. Makes me wet in my panties thinking about it.

###### it, let's impose our will on matchups for a change. Aside from KM, go big.

KM - 5'10"

JB - 6'5"

DE - 6'5"

RL - 6'11"

WR - 6'9"

Good quickness still from the guards, tremendous size and shooting/athleticism (RL/WR) down low. Makes me wet in my ###### panties thinking about it.

I honestly think that will be our starting 5 most games. Barnett is going to pass KC up in no time. I could see Conklin starting at the 4, though.

I hope so but look at the guards on next years team

Barnett

Cassity

Mitchell

McCall

Jett

Barnett, Cassity, and Mitchell are all going to get minutes. Jett and McCall have both played huge minutes this year. One of those 2 is not going to play much maybe 10 minutes a game and the other won't play at all. I'd like to see one of them pull a Carlos Macauley and gladly sit for their soph and jr years but I'll believe it when I see it.

If we have a team next year that is talented enough for Mike McCall to play on 10 minutes a game next year, then we should be in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

If we have a team next year that is talented enough for Mike McCall to play on 10 minutes a game next year, then we should be in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

Next year, in crunch time (the last four minutes with the game on the line), I want both Mitchell and McCall on the floor at the same time.

Agreed. There is NO WAY Mccall only gets 10 minutes a game next year. The coaching staff has singled him out as a guy they want to take the reins off and let him create his own shot more.

I think McCall is getting way too little credit in this whole thread. I know KC will start at the two next year but McCall is quicker on defense and, in my opinion, is a much bigger threat than Kyle on the offensive end.

I like run em out of the building lineup

KM

JJ

MM

DE

WR

Depends on how Rick treats the 3 spot. For example, if Evans and Ellis split the three spot (with Reed, Remekun, Conklin and Loe spliting the 4 and 5), that leaves only 80 minutes for Mitchell, Barnett, Cassity, Jett, and McCall (not counting Salecich and Manning).

If Mitchell plays 27 & Cassity 23 minutes, that only leaves 30 minutes for Barnett, Jett & McCall. Getting minutes is going to be really tough next year.

I think Cassity and Barnett will both play the three some next year, leaving more minutes at the 1 & 2 for Jett and McCall, but someone (probably two) is going to get squeezed out of minutes (assuming no injuries or redshirts).

It's pretty fun to think about how good this team will be next year. What really gets me excited, though, is thinking about two years from now if Willie stays two years. That team could start Reed, Mitchell, Evans, McCall & Loe (two seniors and three juniors) with seniors Ellis, Remekun & Salecich, juniors Barnett & Jett, and sophomore Manning coming off of the bench (assuming no redshirts). Wow! There would be few teams in the country with more experience than SLU. That is a Sweet 16 team (or better), in my opinion.

Agreed. There is NO WAY Mccall only gets 10 minutes a game next year. The coaching staff has singled him out as a guy they want to take the reins off and let him create his own shot more.

I think McCall is getting way too little credit in this whole thread. I know KC will start at the two next year but McCall is quicker on defense and, in my opinion, is a much bigger threat than Kyle on the offensive end.

I like run em out of the building lineup

KM

JJ

MM

DE

WR

That would be a fun lineup to watch

It's not too early to tell about McCall. He can shoot.

But his defense is on the weak side. And his ball-handling is below average for a PG right now. He had 5 T/Os last night against Ch St and Majerus mentioned him specifically in the post-game interview in being disappointed in his play. His turnovers have been up of late. I am glad he finally showed some dribble penetration last night, but it took a Ch St defense to do it.

I like McCall for a freshmen PG. Hey, a freshmen PG that can shoot, heck I am ecstatic. I think he will turn into one of those UAB guards that used to kill us. I think Majerus sees him eventually as a very good PG, similar to that Richmond guard.

But Mitchell is head and shoulders above him right now and Majerus is not going to play them together for extended minutes when he could have KC, Evans, or JB at the 2 and 3 to give them some much better defense and rebounding because they are not vertically challenged. Maybe if we played like one of Mike Anderson's teams, you would see the two little guards starting. But a Majerus squad, built half-court play, you are going to see the bigger wings.

Depends on how Rick treats the 3 spot. For example, if Evans and Ellis split the three spot (with Reed, Remekun, Conklin and Loe spliting the 4 and 5), that leaves only 80 minutes for Mitchell, Barnett, Cassity, Jett, and McCall (not counting Salecich and Manning).

Majic. Let's asume CE is healthy and regains his form from last year. Other than the fact that CE can shoot from the outside, what else would even give you (and you're not the only one on this Board) the thought that CE will play the 3 next year? CE cannot dribble like a guard and could not break the press if needed, he does not he is not fast or quick like a guard, he is not really that mobile from a lateral standpoint, he does not slash and get to the basket. If teams ran a pick on him, CE would end up having to guard the other team's PG or 2 guard!! Unless I am missing something, CE is a 4 and always will be. Nothing personal but we should all stop this nonsense of thinking CE will morph into a 3.

Majic. Let's asume CE is healthy and regains his form from last year. Other than the fact that CE can shoot from the outside, what else would even give you (and you're not the only one on this Board) the thought that CE will play the 3 next year? CE cannot dribble like a guard and could not break the press if needed, he does not he is not fast or quick like a guard, he is not really that mobile from a lateral standpoint, he does not slash and get to the basket. If teams ran a pick on him, CE would end up having to guard the other team's PG or 2 guard!! Unless I am missing something, CE is a 4 and always will be. Nothing personal but we should all stop this nonsense of thinking CE will morph into a 3.

Agreed. Given our depth at guard, there is absolutely no reason to try and play CE at the 3.

But his defense is on the weak side. And his ball-handling is below average for a PG right now. He had 5 T/Os last night against Ch St and Majerus mentioned him specifically in the post-game interview in being disappointed in his play. His turnovers have been up of late. I am glad he finally showed some dribble penetration last night, but it took a Ch St defense to do it.

I like McCall for a freshmen PG. Hey, a freshmen PG that can shoot, heck I am ecstatic. I think he will turn into one of those UAB guards that used to kill us. I think Majerus sees him eventually as a very good PG, similar to that Richmond guard.

But Mitchell is head and shoulders above him right now and Majerus is not going to play them together for extended minutes when he could have KC, Evans, or JB at the 2 and 3 to give them some much better defense and rebounding because they are not vertically challenged. Maybe if we played like one of Mike Anderson's teams, you would see the two little guards starting. But a Majerus squad, built half-court play, you are going to see the bigger wings.

I think McCall's defense has improved greatly recently. I'm not worried too much about the turnovers at this point. Kwamain had plenty his freshman season. McCall doesn't have the benefit of being able to throw the ball into the post to a player like Willie. That will make his job a lot easier and really open things up.

I view McCall as more of a 2 than a point. He is a scorer. I have also never been that worried about the size of guards. Personally, I think quickness and the ability to score at the 2 are more important. K-State made it to the Elite 8 playing two guards about the size of Mitchell and McCall. Villanova has had some outstanding teams with multiple small guards. If we have a front line that will have players like Willie, Loe, Evans, Remekun and Conklin, I especially don't think it is essential to have big guards. I want the best guards playing in the last four minutes of the game... to me that is KM and MM.

I can't wait until next year. There will be a lot of fun debates about playing time.

Disagree on KC. 33% from 3 this year is not bad and should go up with KM and WR drawing attention. Also, why does it matter that one of our outside threats happens to play the 4?

Most of KC's shots from the 3 have been when he is wide open. Let's not kid ourselves that KC is shooting his 3's under heavy pressure or with a hand in his face. As to KC, that's fine. We'll just agree to disagree. Percentages can be misleading. As mentioned in prior threads, it's not that that his percentage is so bad. Instead, it's his lack of production. A starting guard on a good team needs to score and also needs to get to the free throw line. KC does neither. Does he have other skills to offer? Absolutely. Make no mistake, I have been a huge supporter of his, am certainly glad he is wearing our Bills uniform and can honestly say that he has represented (and will continue to represent) SLU well both on and off the court. As far as lineups go, however, if DE plays the 3 and if DE is not an outside threat, then to me, that means that our 2 guard had better pick up the slack for DE (with respect to outside shooting).

Why can't a 4 be an outside threat? He can. As I understand RM, his whole philosophy is based upon his best players being his 1 and his 4 with his 4 going outside to shoot. If an opponent, though, collapses into a zone or plays man to man while sagging off to pack the lane, we will need outside shooting. If our 4 is always on the perimeter, then our inside game (scoring threats, rebounds...) will suffer.

To me, KC would seem to fit better trying to take the PG from KM and/or playing between KM at the 1 and JB at the 3. JB can shoot the ball.

PG/SG - Mitchell, McCall

3 forward - Evans

4 forward - Conklin

Center - Reed???/ Loe

Possibles - Reed??? and Loe playing a twin towers with Evans and Conklin fluctuating along with Cory. Ellis and Cassity are real question marks as far as the starting lineup - Coach Majerus's commitment too these players as veterans? Barnett could be a real key with Mitchell, McCall, Evans and Reed???/Loe in the starting lineup, will he excell in pre-season practices and force Coach Majerus's hand? Jett off the bench. Will Christian be here next year? Many questions but now Triangle thinks the starting lineup is above. Manning will redshirt.

so it goes.

KC/MM/JJ

KM/JB/MM

DE/MM/CS

RL/CE/DE

BC/CR/Manning

starters 20 Mins 2nd guy in depth 12.5 third 7.5 roughly; if Willie makes it in school which I have serious doubts shuffle BC and RL down some to give him 20+ minutes + Manning redshirts

Every game JB looks like he should start give him more minutes

It's a valid argument that Cody is primarily a 4. I do think he'll play some at the 3, but he does get the majority of his minutes at the 4. I was making the point (poorly apparently) that the lineup is going to be very crowded next year and people are going to be squeezed for minutes. If Cody plays the 4 exclusively, that does open up more minutes for the guards, but then you've got the issue of 80 minutes to split between Loe, Remekun, Ellis, Reed, and Conklin (assuming Evans does not play the 4 at all). If Reed gets 25 and Loe gets 20 minutes, then there are only 35 left for Ellis, Remekun and Conklin (not to mention Manning). I think the reality is that Ellis will play something like 12-14 minutes at the 4 and 8 minutes at the 3. Of course, if Willie's tweet means anything, maybe we will have his 25 minutes to distribute. Hope not.

I want

PG - Mitchell

SG - Barnett

SF - Evans

PF - Loe

C - Reed

Lot of rebounding, lot of defense, lot of shooting, lot of smarts. I'd really be OK w/ running more and throwing guys in and out constantly. With Kwamain getting the most minutes of anyone. We'll finally have a full stable.

WE WILL WIN BIG NEXT YEAR. COUNT IT.

I hear Barnett doesn't play a lick of d, doesn't drive much, and just shoot tres. He'll be deadly for us outside, but I'd' be worried about him scoring 20 and so does the guy he guards.

I hear Barnett doesn't play a lick of d, doesn't drive much, and just shoot tres. He'll be deadly for us outside, but I'd' be worried about him scoring 20 and so does the guy he guards.

-if he is not playing d he won't get enough time to score 20

-i sure hope we know today who are players for next season will be, given all that could happen

-i did not remember that JB had attended prep school,he will turn 22 during next season

-i also like mac and cheese, but have no idea who kirk franklin is

-from the article, which may have been posted long ago on this board, so sorry for any repetition...Coach Cross on Barnett:

"Jake is like the ultimate utility glue guy. He can rebound it, shoot it, handle it and defend. He does all the dirty work that nobody gets credit for and keeps the team tight and glued. He has an unbelievable work ethic that I hope becomes contagious."

I assume this is another name for one of our trolls who continue to come back and post crap. Barnett is a good hustling defender who plays hard on every play. Please go away.

Best lineup if everyone plays to their potential

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Ellis

4-Loe

5-Reed

Likely to start the season

1-Mitchell

2-Cassity

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

Against smaller, faster, more athletic opponents

1-MItchell

2-Cassity

3-Barnett

4-Evans

5-Reed

Against bigger, tougher, slower teams

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

Against Chicago State

1-Mitchell

2-McCall/Jett

3-Any walk-on

4-Salecich

5-Evans

MoRon-

Any other scenarios & lineup predictions you'd care to share? Lineup at home? Lineup Away? Cold Weather Lineup? Tuesday Night Lineup? Day Time Lineup?