Next Season Starters

PG/SG - Mitchell, McCall

3 forward - Evans

4 forward - Conklin

Center - Reed???/ Loe

Possibles - Reed??? and Loe playing a twin towers with Evans and Conklin fluctuating along with Cory. Ellis and Cassity are real question marks as far as the starting lineup - Coach Majerus's commitment too these players as veterans? Barnett could be a real key with Mitchell, McCall, Evans and Reed???/Loe in the starting lineup, will he excell in pre-season practices and force Coach Majerus's hand? Jett off the bench. Will Christian be here next year? Many questions but now Triangle thinks the starting lineup is above. Manning will redshirt.

so it goes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best lineup if everyone plays to their potential

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Ellis

4-Loe

5-Reed

Likely to start the season

1-Mitchell

2-Cassity

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

Against smaller, faster, more athletic opponents

1-MItchell

2-Cassity

3-Barnett

4-Evans

5-Reed

Against bigger, tougher, slower teams

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

Against Chicago State

1-Mitchell

2-McCall/Jett

3-Any walk-on

4-Salecich

5-Evans

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Ellis

4-Loe

5-Reed

1-Mitchell

2-Cassity

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

1-MItchell

2-McCall

3-Jett

4-Evans

5-Reed

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

Against Chicago State

1-Mitchell

2-McCall/Jett

3-Any walk-on

4-Salecich

5-Evans

Changes in bold.

Hopefully, the lineup is

KM

KC

DE

RL

WR

I think that is our best combination of defense, scoring and rebounding. I could see CR, JB or MM grabbing starting spots. Not sure about Conklin or Ellis at this point.

Lot's of talent on next year's roster.

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Ellis

4-Loe

5-Reed

1-Mitchell

2-Cassity

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

1-MItchell

2-Cassity

3-Barnett

4-Evans

5-Reed

1-Mitchell

2-Barnett

3-Evans

4-Loe

5-Reed

Against Chicago State

1-Mitchell

2-McCall/Jett

3-Any walk-on

4-Salecich

5-Evans

Almost anyone on this team could be a starter next year, with CS being the only likely non-starter.

My favorite lineup (with backups following):

KM - pg/sg (MM)

KC - pg/sg (JJ)

DE - sf (JB)

CE - pf (BC/RL)

WR - c (CR)

It seems plain and maybe it is, but I think this group of players really compliment each other and they set a good stage against any opponent and get us off on the right foot. However, next year 11 guys are going to see significant minutes. It is going to be an awesome year if everything goes according to plan.

I thought Rick has been indicating with the amount of guys that can legit play the 4 or 5 (BC, CR, WR, JM, RL, DE) that we will have next year that he is planning on redshirting CR. Manning seems like the logical person to redshirt, but CR is only 19 and Rick might want an extra year to develop him. A lot of this depends on what type of shape Manning comes in to camp next semester, if he's "D1 ready" Rick might want to play him right away if he's out of shape it makes no sense for him to waste the redshirt year. Also I'm assuming WR is admitted back on the team.

Nice post ARon - Thoughts on your thoughts

1. Potential? Ellis and Barnett? In your first 4 lineups you depend on Reed, OK - but

2. Cassity instead of McCall?

3. Smaller, faster, and more atletic oppenents and leave out McCall?

4. Where is Conklin against bigger, tougher, slower teams?

so it goes

Conklin is a sparkplug not just against Chicago State-both he and CS would be playing even better if WR and KM were in the game as BC and CS both pass extremely well and some of our guys just are not

used to that.

I would be giving CS a lot more time so the team opens up their expectations: Loe and most of our bigs have given up streaking for the basket to be open since KM and other guards want to run motion instead of fastbreak. We need some fastbreak and people like BC, DE, Loe, Willie expect it others like CR may not be able to handle the passes.

I thought Rick has been indicating with the amount of guys that can legit play the 4 or 5 (BC, CR, WR, JM, RL, DE) that we will have next year that he is planning on redshirting CR. Manning seems like the logical person to redshirt, but CR is only 19 and Rick might want an extra year to develop him. A lot of this depends on what type of shape Manning comes in to camp next semester, if he's "D1 ready" Rick might want to play him right away if he's out of shape it makes no sense for him to waste the redshirt year. Also I'm assuming WR is admitted back on the team.

PG - Mitchell

SG - Cassity

SF - Evans

PF - Loe/Ellis

C - Reed

Evans is in the starting lineup next season. Save injury this kid will start every game for the rest of his Billiken career. There are a ton of ?s. Ellis basically has missed this year and now has to rehab his shoulder. He'll be even more behind for next season. My expectations for him are very low. Will Reed make it back? Who knows.

Barnett, Conklin, McCall, Jett, Remuken is an excellent bench. I don't expect all of them back. One of the freshman guards won't come back. If Ellis is still gimpy & not in shape, Reed doesn't come back it severely changes the team. We would still be good and be alright depthwise but not great.

Barnett, Conklin, McCall, Jett, Remuken is an excellent bench. I don't expect all of them back. One of the freshman guards won't come back.

What abunch of crap!:angry:

No one leaves this team!!! They all want to be part of a winner!!!

What abunch of crap!:angry:

No one leaves this team!!! They all want to be part of a winner!!!

I hope so but look at the guards on next years team

Barnett

Cassity

Mitchell

McCall

Jett

Barnett, Cassity, and Mitchell are all going to get minutes. Jett and McCall have both played huge minutes this year. One of those 2 is not going to play much maybe 10 minutes a game and the other won't play at all. I'd like to see one of them pull a Carlos Macauley and gladly sit for their soph and jr years but I'll believe it when I see it.

1. Potential? Ellis and Barnett? In your first 4 lineups you depend on Reed, OK - but

so it goes

It is fun to speculate on lineups for next year but honestly I think if all goes as planned it will not really matter who starts with KM, WR, and DE. we usually see our first substitutions before the first media timeout and we should have a bunch of interchangeable parts next year. It should be fun to watch players come on and off the floor with no dropoff in performance. DE is growing into a manchild. I dont care if you are playing a high school team. 17 rebounds is bigtime. Rebounding is nothing but desire and this kid has it.

so it goes

1) Yes I am depending on Reed. As for potential, I am going on what I have heard RM say about each of them. He sees them both as top players, particularly if Ellis gets with the program. Now he said these things before Evans's recent play. Either way I expect the that most nights the 3 will be split between two or three guys including Evans.

2) Cassity over McCall is based on three things A) the experience factor B) RM sees McCall's role as a PG not a SG C) I think there is a chance McCall could redshirt with so few guard minutes available over the next two seasons

3) See #2

4) I thought about Conklin there, almost went back and made that change in fact. I think Loe will get a chance at the start of games, as he is now, to get a hot start. If he does he gets lot of minutes, if he doesn't BC steps in.

I should also point out that if WR is eligible to play I expect CR to redshirt (finally). Also as I said, with KM and JB getting a healthy share of minutes at guard I expect that JJ or MM will redshirt as well if they chose to stay. My vote and preference is MM though I've heard good arguments for it to be JJ.

I know some people disagree with that idea but unless you expect two out of three guys between JB, KC, and CE to play less than 20 min per game....there just won't be more than 5-10 min per game for either JJ or MM next year.

Appreciate your post Torch - but - how can you put the SG position in the hands of Cassity instead of McCall? - Too Triangle, it just doesn't make sense, based on stats. Triangle has thought about it, but, Kyle has regressed. McCall with his shooting and quickness has supassed Kyle in next years backcourt.

so it goes.

Kyle doesn't make mistakes, he's a better playmaker, and a much better defender. You can't sit the teams best perimeter defender for a slightly better offensive player who can't play D. If McCall is in the lineup without Cassity then Mitchell guards the oppositions best guard. I don't see Majerus doing that, wearing out Mitchell on the defensive end & matching him up against bigger opponents when Cassity is available. Cassity's minutes may drop but he will still get a very large amount of guard minutes because of his defense.

When making these lineups bench players have to come into the equation. If we start both MM and KM, then who is our backup PG? From that standpoint, it would make more sense to play Some combination of JJ, DE, JB, and KC at the other guard positions.

Cody Ellis should not start in my opinion. We have other players who can shoot threes just as well and do other things as well. Hopefully, he'll rebound and show us something but so far in his SLU career I have yet to see any other real positive other than three-point shooting and size. That's valuable, but not irreplaceable.

Kyle doesn't make mistakes, he's a better playmaker, and a much better defender. You can't sit the teams best perimeter defender for a slightly better offensive player who can't play D. If McCall is in the lineup without Cassity then Mitchell guards the oppositions best guard. I don't see Majerus doing that, wearing out Mitchell on the defensive end & matching him up against bigger opponents when Cassity is available. Cassity's minutes may drop but he will still get a very large amount of guard minutes because of his defense.

KM, DE and KC would be a very good defensive/rebounding backcourt.

I hope so but look at the guards on next years team

Barnett

Cassity

Mitchell

McCall

Jett

Barnett, Cassity, and Mitchell are all going to get minutes. Jett and McCall have both played huge minutes this year. One of those 2 is not going to play much maybe 10 minutes a game and the other won't play at all. I'd like to see one of them pull a Carlos Macauley and gladly sit for their soph and jr years but I'll believe it when I see it.

I would believe one of the freshmen might redshirt before leaving if we are that deep at guard. The future looks bright. I just don't see anyone leaving if they can help it. So they get fewer minutes. They did not expect to get the minutes they got this year. It just means we will be able to have "fresh " players on the floor at all times.

Tickets will start to be hard to come by come January 2012!!

Really?! I hope that was the internet's inability to transmit sarcasm. Did you see him make that god awful pass without looking, at the end of the game versus CHICAGO STATE (!!!) and the lack of hustle he showed after that pass to stop the layup and then realized what an awful decision it was, then decided to try and run the lay up down and run into the digital board? My point is that he is mortal and makes mistakes (some of them very dumb). I know we love the guy, he's a local and a good player, but we have to be somewhat fair, and not put him on a pedestal above the other guys.

I would believe one of the freshmen might redshirt before leaving if we are that deep at guard. The future looks bright. I just don't see anyone leaving if they can help it. So they get fewer minutes. They did not expect to get the minutes they got this year. It just means we will be able to have "fresh " players on the floor at all times.

Tickets will start to be hard to come by come January 2012!!

Not a lot of college sophomores who redshirt. Like any. I hope I'm wrong, this is a great class. I just don't see them all staying.