Dwayne Evans

jjray

In a dismal season this young man is a shinning bright spot. 16 points and 14 rebounds. I love this guy. Does anybody else think the mere presence of Kwamain on the bench gave the team hope? Two weeks ago, this SLU team would have found a way to lose that game. Today they never faltered with the lead.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DE has had his ups and downs but his high points have been very high. What other freshman for SLU has ever had 14 rebounds in a game? AB, maybe a couple others. That alley oop was tremendous. DE was just ball hawking at both ends non stop. Guys like CE and CR were feeding off it, giving efforts they hadn't given all season.

That was the best rebounding game by a SLU freshman I can remember. The kid really plays with confidence. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but just a consistently solid role player. He is a good, but not great athlete, but he is a smart player who has a nose for the ball. I really look forward to him playing alongside more talented, experienced players next year. He strikes me as the type of player that coaches and teammates love having around.

That was the best rebounding game by a SLU freshman I can remember. The kid really plays with confidence. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but just a consistently solid role player. He is a good, but not great athlete, but he is a smart player who has a nose for the ball. I really look forward to him playing alongside more talented, experienced players next year. He strikes me as the type of player that coaches and teammates love having around.

I agree but I think you will be surprised when some of that freshman rigidness wears off. I think he is and will be quite athletic. looks a little mechanical at times but that will fade as he get more comfortable.

I agree but I think you will be surprised when some of that freshman rigidness wears off. I think he is and will be quite athletic. looks a little mechanical at times but that will fade as he get more comfortable.

I agree with you. The play that impressed me the most was his block. Most blocks happen when a player is waiting for the guy driving or the defender is set on a guy inside. On DE's the guy was driving baseline and DE was in a defensive backpeddle slide and looked a little off balance trying to regain position to stop the drive when the guy pulled up. DE immediately got his feet under him regained defensive position, went straight up and blocked the shot. It's much more difficult to have the defensive quickness on a play like this than it is the offensive quickness on a dribble drive. On the defensive play he doesn't get to think about what he's going to do, he has to react to the offensive player.

I agree with you. The play that impressed me the most was his block. Most blocks happen when a player is waiting for the guy driving or the defender is set on a guy inside. On DE's the guy was driving baseline and DE was in a defensive backpeddle slide and looked a little off balance trying to regain position to stop the drive when the guy pulled up. DE immediately got his feet under him regained defensive position, went straight up and blocked the shot. It's much more difficult to have the defensive quickness on a play like this than it is the offensive quickness on a dribble drive. On the defensive play he doesn't get to think about what he's going to do, he has to react to the offensive player.

Nice observation. Couldn't believe he got a block on that play. The opposing player pushed off with the arm creating space but Dwayne closed the space before he got the shot off. That's intense defense.

Possible second coming of Jeff Harris ---- not a stud or a go-to guy but at least a guy who can compete and give you things night after night after night .......?

I think Evans is more of a tweener between a 3 and a 4, more of a 4 now, but with potential to be a 3. Jeff Harris was an undersized 4 in terms of height. I think Evans has a more fluid game. If his midrange game and outside shot improve over time, he could be a really good 3. He already is effective as a 6'5" 4.

Thinking back, Evans may be more like a Quitman Dillard in terms of a similar player on the court.

Evans had a very strong game yesterday, and as I thought during the non-conference season, I think he should be getting a lot of playing time.

I think Evans is more of a tweener between a 3 and a 4, more of a 4 now, but with potential to be a 3. Jeff Harris was an undersized 4 in terms of height. I think Evans has a more fluid game. If his midrange game and outside shot improve over time, he could be a really good 3. He already is effective as a 6'5" 4.

Thinking back, Evans may be more like a Quitman Dillard in terms of a similar player on the court.

Evans had a very strong game yesterday, and as I thought during the non-conference season, I think he should be getting a lot of playing time.

I don't see why DE is not on the floor 30 plus minutes; we played much better with him; same for Conklin; when we played withe two other bigs and Conklin we were much better and as a tweeneer

I would count DE all the way from a four to a wing.

Anyone else notice pregame stats for St. Joe their best rebounder was 6 foot 2- speed to the ball gets rebounds. If you are 6' 11" and slow the rebound could hit you in the face

oh yeah and this kid is a model citizen, student recruit- a real plus in the year of post "incident"; this kids picture could be on all the tickets

In a dismal season this young man is a shinning bright spot. 16 points and 14 rebounds. I love this guy. Does anybody else think the mere presence of Kwamain on the bench gave the team hope? Two weeks ago, this SLU team would have found a way to lose that game. Today they never faltered with the lead.

From the very first time I saw him in practice I thought that DE had real potential long term. He has had some freshman jitters earlier in the year and a few rough edges but that is to be expected. Yesterday he was playing with confidence and when he and Conklin are in the game it changes the offensive rebounding dynamic because they are both extremely active and with two guys actively working and gets at least a piece of the ball it gives the other of the two and the other players a chance to go after tipped and loose balls. Evans also has talents that not many players have-- a nose for the ball and great rebounding instincts in terms of anticipating where the ball will go. He is more athletic than posters on this board give him credit for. He was up high on that dunk and he soared for several rebounds.

I loved KM's attitude on the bench-- he was really positive and supportive and looked like he was dying to get in the game. He was sitting in the first seat next to the coaches like he was ready to go in at any time. I loved seeing him back.

As to his redshirt-- The staff fully realizes that there are not that many games left this year and he is bound to be rusty so it would be in everyone's best interest for him to redshirt. If the NCAA delays the procedure it may be a moot point but contrary to the idiot Metz--(as an aside I cannot believe that a number of regular posters actually treat him like he is a Bills fan which he is not and he has acted like an unbelievable ass on this board for years and he continues to do so) the coach would like to see him redshirt but in that situation he always leaves the decision to the player.

I disagree with those who say it is better for KM to play now. If you watched him in warmups he was very energized and obviously very happy to be back and added a real positive vibe to the team but if you watched him shoot he is very rusty and will undoubtedly take a few games, maybe 5-7 to really get his game back. He needs, for his own personal development, to settle in, practice with the team, be a leader off the court with our young players and be ready to take on the world in Australia! If he truly does want to play for money internationally--in my opinion-- wasting an entire year of eligibility will not help him. If he has two more years after this one to develop his skills, hit the weights and sharpen his outside shooting ability, he will be ready for any pro league. His height will probably limit his ability to play in the NBA but he will have the skills, strength and tenacity to play in a quality league in Europe.

Just wanted to point out to everyone who claims DE is not a three, that he started alongside BC and RL yesterday, clearly making him the 3 in that group. The coaching staff surely plans to make his size and advantage and not weakness.

Gotta give Doc B some love here, wasn't he high on DE early on?

I don't know about DocB but I was.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

I don't know how coach keeps Evans off the floor. He's got the aggressiveness of Conk in a 6'5" athletic body. Against real competition, he's not going to do much scoring in the paint but I don't care. This team is screaming for physical players and Evans brings it.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19737

torch in the same thread from last Nov.: "I like Evans game but those hoping for 30 minutes a game for him right now are way off. He can fill in at the 4 but will be exposed with a lot of playing time."

I don't know about DocB but I was.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

I don't know how coach keeps Evans off the floor. He's got the aggressiveness of Conk in a 6'5" athletic body. Against real competition, he's not going to do much scoring in the paint but I don't care. This team is screaming for physical players and Evans brings it.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19737

torch in the same thread from last Nov.: "I like Evans game but those hoping for 30 minutes a game for him right now are way off. He can fill in at the 4 but will be exposed with a lot of playing time."

Doc B was high on him before the season even started. I think that was the point.

If the NCAA delays the procedure it may be a moot point but contrary to the idiot Metz--(as an aside I cannot believe that a number of regular posters actually treat him like he is a Bills fan which he is not and he has acted like an unbelievable ass on this board for years and he continues to do so) the coach would like to see him redshirt but in that situation he always leaves the decision to the player.

Didn't Metz start some pro-slu athletics website while he was on exile from this board? I thought he was a fan.

From the very first time I saw him in practice I thought that DE had real potential long term. He has had some freshman jitters earlier in the year and a few rough edges but that is to be expected. Yesterday he was playing with confidence and when he and Conklin are in the game it changes the offensive rebounding dynamic because they are both extremely active and with two guys actively working and gets at least a piece of the ball it gives the other of the two and the other players a chance to go after tipped and loose balls. Evans also has talents that not many players have-- a nose for the ball and great rebounding instincts in terms of anticipating where the ball will go. He is more athletic than posters on this board give him credit for. He was up high on that dunk and he soared for several rebounds.

I loved KM's attitude on the bench-- he was really positive and supportive and looked like he was dying to get in the game. He was sitting in the first seat next to the coaches like he was ready to go in at any time. I loved seeing him back.

As to his redshirt-- The staff fully realizes that there are not that many games left this year and he is bound to be rusty so it would be in everyone's best interest for him to redshirt. If the NCAA delays the procedure it may be a moot point but contrary to the idiot Metz--(as an aside I cannot believe that a number of regular posters actually treat him like he is a Bills fan which he is not and he has acted like an unbelievable ass on this board for years and he continues to do so) the coach would like to see him redshirt but in that situation he always leaves the decision to the player.

I disagree with those who say it is better for KM to play now. If you watched him in warmups he was very energized and obviously very happy to be back and added a real positive vibe to the team but if you watched him shoot he is very rusty and will undoubtedly take a few games, maybe 5-7 to really get his game back. He needs, for his own personal development, to settle in, practice with the team, be a leader off the court with our young players and be ready to take on the world in Australia! If he truly does want to play for money internationally--in my opinion-- wasting an entire year of eligibility will not help him. If he has two more years after this one to develop his skills, hit the weights and sharpen his outside shooting ability, he will be ready for any pro league. His height will probably limit his ability to play in the NBA but he will have the skills, strength and tenacity to play in a quality league in Europe.

This is an insteresting statement only because it makes me wonder why Conklin is a very good offensive rebounder but tends to not be that great on the defensive end. This season, he has 25 offensive boards but only 33 defensive rebounds. That is nearly a 1:1 ratio. Currently, he is second on the team in offensive rebounds (to Evans) but currently 5th in defensive boards (just ahead of remekun, who would probably be ahead of him if they had equal minutes.) Typically, Conklin is guarding the low post guy on the other team, so you would think he would be in position to pull in more defensive rebounds. I would chalk it up to lack of height and ups, but then why is he so good on the offensive end?

Didn't Metz start some pro-slu athletics website while he was on exile from this board? I thought he was a fan.

I know it would be almost impossible but if you would go back and read all of his posts from all of his troll false identities you could see that he is not and has never been a Bills fan. He is a person who likes to come on this site and stir up trouble, criticize the coaches, the players, the fans and the school while pretending to be a fan. No one should ever credit him as a legitimate fan.

I know it would be almost impossible but if you would go back and read all of his posts from all of his troll false identities you could see that he is not and has never been a Bills fan. He is a person who likes to come on this site and stir up trouble, criticize the coaches, the players, the fans and the school while pretending to be a fan. No one should ever credit him as a legitimate fan.

He isn't froline or cheesycow, is he?

I'm sure you have reasons as to why you think that way, but with that said, I consider myself a die hard fan and I do all of what was mentioned above except for the stirring up trouble piece.

I don't think being a fan means you can't criticize the team, the coaches, the players, the fans and the school. Those are all healthy points to discuss. For instance:

1) I think the school handled the whole situation terribly in regard to the student court

2) I think our fans are too conservative and I think we could be a lot more into the game than we are

3) I think Cassity has failed miserably on the road in stepping up and being a leader of this team (so far anyways)

4) I think Rick has handled Cody's playing time poorly

Because of this, am I no longer a fan?