What do we have to do?

froline

To become a annual top 20 program like Mizzou? I am so sick of seeing them in the ranking and the Bills having another sub-par year. I thought the hiring of Majarus was a better hire than Anderson, but looks like I was wrong. I guess I should just enjoy that we won today and they blew one. Learn to shoot from the fro-line tigers. ha ha.

To become a annual top 20 program like Mizzou? I am so sick of seeing them in the ranking and the Bills having another sub-par year. I thought the hiring of Majarus was a better hire than Anderson, but looks like I was wrong. I guess I should just enjoy that we won today and they blew one. Learn to shoot from the fro-line tigers. ha ha.

And the point of this is...?

And the point of this is...?

Clearly a Mizzou fan stalking the Billikens. I guess when you attend/graduate from a second tier state school you have a big inferiority complex to overcome.

Hmmm somethings not right about this dude. I can't quite put my finger on it....

Posted Image

You must have been sleeping 2003-2008 when Mizzou missed the NCAA's 5 straight seasons.

As for SLU...

Recruiting better talent, get that talent to be upper classmen, and turn over rosters annually.

That was set up to happen year 4.

Next year SLU will have

Seniors: Conklin, Cassity

Juniors: Mitchell, Reed, Remekun, Ellis, Salecich

Sophs: McCall, Loe, Evans, Jett, Barnett

Frosh: Manning

SLU needs to eventually balance out the classes. In the previous regime, the recruiting was far below this level and classes were missed out on in consecutive years. You can't have more than one bad recruiting class in a row.

I'd be interested to see what Ellis can bring next season. He arrived mid-semester as a frosh, and had mono before his Soph season. A full, healthy off-season.

As new players arrive, some will wait their turn and others will take people's spots. It takes a few years to build a roster, especially if you don't go the juco route, and have limited incoming transfers.

SLU was not in a position previously to have a large margin for error with its roster. As the roster deepens with kids who can play at higher level, the margin for error will increase.

Froline is a troll. Looks at his previous posts.

To become like Mizzou, we would need to lower our academic standards and start breaking the NCAA rules.... To become a Top 20 (or even a Top 50) program, though, we need to get a new President who gives a damn about basketball. Sure, we can talk about revising the curiculum to better match what the transcript of the typical JUCO player, increasing the athletic budget, reinstating chartered flights, etc to keep RM happy, finding a way to get the team on TV.... but Fr. Biondi is the real problem with the program. Don't believe much positive about Fr. Biondi will ever come out of the mouths of Grawer, Spoon, Brad and RM (Zo was only here 3 years and left).

To become like Mizzou, we would need to lower our academic standards and start breaking the NCAA rules.... To become a Top 20 (or even a Top 50) program, though, we need to get a new President who gives a damn about basketball. Sure, we can talk about revising the curiculum to better match what the transcript of the typical JUCO player, increasing the athletic budget, reinstating chartered flights, etc to keep RM happy, finding a way to get the team on TV.... but Fr. Biondi is the real problem with the program. Don't believe much positive about Fr. Biondi will ever come out of the mouths of Grawer, Spoon, Brad and RM (Zo was only here 3 years and left).

Great post. Spot-on, Clock.

Fr. Biondi is the real problem with the program. -- spot on.

Great post. Spot-on, Clock.

Fr. Biondi is the real problem with the program. -- spot on.

I thought he'd seen the light when he bulldozed the Chey thru and then hired a big name coach. Sadly, that was only part of it. He should have talked to his peers at Mqute, GU, X, Zaga, Nova, et al and found out what it took to complete the deal. I still don't think he sees the value of a good hoops program as an overall plus for the school. And probably the situation with KM and WR reinforced the idea that hoops may be more trouble than it's worth. Of course, he's kind of stuck now with the Chey and the mortgage payments. It's too big a commitment to downgrade the program. He has to make it pay, but he doesn't really know how to do it. We've been promised a top 50 program for almost 20 years now and we're still stuck in mediocrityville.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2503/1/

Haters gonna hate.

That's your big evidence? The list that has Ohio State in the top ten!

You know that's primarily based on the academic "progress" of the schools/teams. Given where Mizzou was in 2005 and 2006 and where they were in 2008 and 2009, I should hope they would score highly on the APR.

That's your big evidence? The list that has Ohio State in the top ten!

You know that's primarily based on the academic "progress" of the schools/teams. Given where Mizzou was in 2005 and 2006 and where they were in 2008 and 2009, I should hope they would score highly on the APR.

I think you're misunderstanding what APR is. It's not a measure of how far you've come from previous years, it's a measure of retention and eligibility which are strong indicators for graduation rates. The "progress" in the name is about students "progressing" towards graduation.

Mizzou was rated 1000 for last year (Which is the maximum) in basketball, SLU was rated 933 (which is just slightly above 925 which is where the NCAA starts to impose penalties).

I think you're misunderstanding what APR is. It's not a measure of how far you've come from previous years, it's a measure of retention and eligibility which are strong indicators for graduation rates. The "progress" in the name is about students "progressing" towards graduation.

Mizzou was rated 1000 for last year (Which is the maximum) in basketball, SLU was rated 933 (which is just slightly above 925 which is where the NCAA starts to impose penalties).

You are right about the APR, my mistake.

I'm still going to take significant exception to a list that includes Ohio State in the top five, but doesn't include Stanford or Boston College anywhere in the top 25. In fact, the APR only takes into account retention and eligibility, but not difficulty of course work or school. Given some of the schools on this list, maybe it should be renamed from "Smartest College Sports Programs" to the "Easiest Academics for College Athletes."

You are right about the APR, my mistake.

I'm still going to take significant exception to a list that includes Ohio State in the top five, but doesn't include Stanford or Boston College anywhere in the top 25. In fact, the APR only takes into account retention and eligibility, but not difficulty of course work or school. Given some of the schools on this list, maybe it should be renamed from "Smartest College Sports Programs" to the "Easiest Academics for College Athletes."

Fair enough but I think that it's unwise to attribute all of that to difficulty of coursework. Almost all of the players on SLU who have declared a major have chosen Business Administration (which has sort of become a gen ed course at this point). Eckerle is the only player doing what I would consider a difficult major.

That's not particularly unique to SLU either, as most MU students are doing business or communications as well- I'm just saying that the quality of the school doesn't necessarily correlate completely with the academic rigor of the athletes' coursework.

or to be top 50 we could just wait one more year.

Fair enough but I think that it's unwise to attribute all of that to difficulty of coursework. Almost all of the players on SLU who have declared a major have chosen Business Administration (which has sort of become a gen ed course at this point). Eckerle is the only player doing what I would consider a difficult major.

That's not particularly unique to SLU either, as most MU students are doing business or communications as well- I'm just saying that the quality of the school doesn't necessarily correlate completely with the academic rigor of the athletes' coursework.

I know this ... Had SLU gotten rid of one of it's BS degrees such as Eastern Malaysian utensil artifact studies and started a major in Locomotive Engineering we'd be better off right now.