View from Afar

Taj79

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot Ian. I'll take that team with Ian over this disaster. Either way, UB got fired, and comparing Majerus to him is not helpful to your cause.

Ian was a senior during KL and TL's sophomore year. He didn't forget Ian. Ian had graduated.

I actually shortchanged Liddell in that comparison. There really is no comparison Lisch and Liddell were a better combo after 2 years. SLU Drew is getting beaten like a rented mule in this thread.

You are right 3Jack. I bow to your superior knowledge about college basketball. You do realize you are comparing two guards (Lisch and Lidell) to a guard an a power forward/center right??

Ask any coach in America and they would take Mitchell and Reed over Lisch and Liddell. By the way, I have no idea how this thread went down this avenue

and lets take them off the roster as Jr's.

We have

Sr.'s - Luke Meyer, Danny Brown, Dwayne Polk, Bryce Husak

Jr. - Barry Eberhardt

Soph - Adam Knollmeyer

Fr. - Paul Eckerle, Anthony Mitchell, Marcus Relphorde

and this is with UB having 5 years under his belt. Looks pretty good. I wonder how they'd do this year? I know I'd take this years roster for the future.

The fact that the roster is overall better than Brad's isn't saying much. With the fetz and what having Rickma we should have much deeper rosters than we have.

That said, I think the big problem is Rickma not adjusting the system to fit what is here currently.

You are right 3Jack. I bow to your superior knowledge about college basketball. You do realize you are comparing two guards (Lisch and Lidell) to a guard an a power forward/center right??

Ask any coach in America and they would take Mitchell and Reed over Lisch and Liddell. By the way, I have no idea how this thread went down this avenue

After their sophmore years? Look at the numbers Drew. Lisch and Liddell are clearly better and it is not even close. To say that Soderburg never recruited anyone of Reed and Mitchell's ilk is nonsensical. But fariness in judging coaches has never been a priority for you and alot of other people on this board.

The fact that the roster is overall better than Brad's isn't saying much. With the fetz and what having Rickma we should have much deeper rosters than we have.

That said, I think the big problem is Rickma not adjusting the system to fit what is here currently.

I agree with this and this is where I would lay some of the blame on RM. Not so much on the deeper roster yet because I think he needs more time to build here in St. Louis. St. Louis is not exactly a hotbed that draws kids to a midmajor program YET. It seems to be the unwillingness to adjust the system to the talent he has instead of trying to mold the talent he has to the system. Pick and pop is not effective if we cannot make the jumpers.

After their sophmore years? Look at the numbers Drew. Lisch and Liddell are clearly better and it is not even close. To say that Soderburg never recruited anyone of Reed and Mitchell's ilk is nonsensical. But fariness in judging coaches has never been a priority for you and alot of other people on this board.

Please answer my question; do you really think any coach in America would take Lisch and Liddell over Mitchell and Reed?

Soderberg was recruiting against Valley schools and Elon. Majerus is getting kids who actually had scholarship offers from BCS schools.

Just curious, why do you think Soderberg got fired?

Please answer my question; do you really think any coach in America would take Lisch and Liddell over Mitchell and Reed?

Soderberg was recruiting against Valley schools and Elon. Majerus is getting kids who actually had scholarship offers from BCS schools.

Out of those four I would take Kevin first for a college basketball team. KM would be second, WR third, and TLIII fourth.

The question is "Did Soderburg recruit players of the same ilk". The clear answer is he did and your statement that he didn't is false. Again:

Sophmore years - Liddell and Lisch - 30 pts 10.4 rbs 6.2 asts

Mitchell and Reed - 28 pts 10.9 rbs 3.8 asts

Soderburg got fired because he didn't win enough and didn't recruit well enough beyond Liddell and Lisch. Majerus appears to be heading down the same road.

Kramer, shouldn't you be joining your old man and Brett Thompson for practice at Lindenwood right about now?

except for the fact his 1st real class are just Jr's and the best of that class is what's missing. Your expectations of what kind of roster we should have is imo unrealistic.

The question is "Did Soderburg recruit players of the same ilk". The clear answer is he did and your statement that he didn't is false. Again:

Sophmore years - Liddell and Lisch - 30 pts 10.4 rbs 6.2 asts

Mitchell and Reed - 28 pts 10.9 rbs 3.8 asts

Soderburg got fired because he didn't win enough and didn't recruit well enough beyond Liddell and Lisch. Majerus appears to be heading down the same road.

Did you actually say in another post it wasn't close? Add blocks and it's even closer. Personally I'd take KM and WR because I think the value of a center outweighs the value of a 3 guard. However, I could see an argument either way.

Now if you put RM in the same year UB was at this point we'd have our freshman class as sophs with a years experience, KC and BC as Sr's, CE, CR, and CS as Jr's. Then add Manning and Barnett and it's a much, much better roster. So it's not really a comparison with UB. After equal periods of time, take away their best 2 players (who are comparable) and RM's roster would beat UB's by 30.

Did you actually say in another post it wasn't close? Add blocks and it's even closer. Personally I'd take KM and WR because I think the value of a center outweighs the value of a 3 guard. However, I could see an argument either way.

Now if you put RM in the same year UB was at this point we'd have our freshman class as sophs with a years experience, KC and BC as Sr's, CE, CR, and CS as Jr's. Then add Manning and Barnett and it's a much, much better roster. So it's not really a comparison with UB. After equal periods of time, take away their best 2 players (who are comparable) and RM's roster would beat UB's by 30.

So they are comparable. Does anyone on this board agree with Drew that they are not of the "same ilk"?

So they are comparable. Does anyone on this board agree with Drew that they are not of the "same ilk"?

Your initial point, which I clearly take issue with, is that you can remove the two best players on a given team, in this case SLU's team, and they should churn right along.

Comparing Brad's recruiting record to Majerus's is ridiculous. I understand you may not like the results on the court right now, none of us do, but if you cannot see that Majerus has brought in more talented players than Brad did, you either are new to the game of basketball, or are somehow related to Brad.

Your initial point, which I clearly take issue with, is that you can remove the two best players on a given team, in this case SLU's team, and they should churn right along.

Comparing Brad's recruiting record to Majerus's is ridiculous. I understand you may not like the results on the court right now, none of us do, but if you cannot see that Majerus has brought in more talented players than Brad did, you either are new to the game of basketball, or are somehow related to Brad.

Of course I never said they "should churn right along". I said they should not be as bad as they are. I agree comparing UB to Majerus is ridiculous. Majerus has a huge advantage is facilities, name recognition and assistant coaches so he should be recruiting better.

Okay 3 Jack, so you would contend that the program would be better of right now with Soderberg than Majerus? We will have to agree to disagree then.

I am now officially done with this thread and need to get some work done.

Sigh. Another strawman by Drew. The fact that you have to make up what I said is enough to let me know you should be done.

More points, basically the same amount of rebounds and way more assists. Clearly those numbers are superior.

You convienently forgot blocks as one of the RM 2 is a big. Numbers wise I'd give a slight advantage to TL and KL.

points +2pg (8%) to KL and TL

boards +.5 (5%) to WR and KM

assists +2.5 (65%) to KL and TL

Blocks +1.1 (110%) to WR and KM

However, when you're talking about the loss to a team, I'd say losing a good big is usually worse than losing a good 3.

Also you didn't say they were superior. You said they weren't even close.

RM has had 4 classes.

Class 1, this years Sr.'s. - I think we agree was a filler. The only thing he could have done differently is possibly Marcus R. I for one think Marcus was a 2-3 not a 4 and we should have kept him. In fact I believe had we kept him and played him as a 3, we'd have made the tourney last year. Imo, this was a RM mistake.

Class 2, this years Jr's. - This class was poised to be very strong with KM and WR plus Kyle and Brian.

Class 3, this years Sophs - Imo this class has under achieved. I think we all though CS would shoot the ball better and with the defender he's become if he could hit 33% from the 3, he'd be a decent ball player. I'm willing to give CE a breal due to the mono, but as the year progresses I expect to see him shooting better. Cory is imo a back up center and with Willie on board it's what he should be. I'm satisfied with him as a very young soph.

Class 4, this years freshman. - I won't even comment yet.

My point is except for CE shooting better, (and his illness I'm pretty sure was out of RM's control) the lack of development of CS, and misjudging MR ... RM doesn't have many misses on the roster. We couldn't really have recruited Juco's as we thought we'd have JS, WR, and KM which would give us a full roster. Even if you say he should have been prepared in case JS left, do you really expect he should have been able to land a difference making Juco starting in April?

It seems to me that to expect a roster this young and a coach with just 3 real recruiting classes to be able to withstand the losses of players the ilk of KM and WR plus the fact that their expected 3rd leading scorer spent the summer with mono is just unrealistic.

Skip.

If you add Barnett to the mix, then by all accounts, things look even better.

Many on this Board refuse to accept the fact that we have NO Seniors on our team. With 4 good JRs, then we would stand a chance to offset this void and still be good. Without our 2 best JRs, we are left with only 2 "role player" JRs and no SRs. Tough to overcome this.

So Billikan, in your mind, as long as there is effort there ---- even from a bunch of 3-foot tall Eddie Gaedells (sp?), we should accept it as is and yell "bravo, boys, bravo --- you can do it!"

Look for the last time, I stand by everything I said .... especially the part about blame on all sides going around. Pretty soon, someone will put tap water in a plastic bottle, put a seal on it, call it Dasani, and have us all believing its safer than tap water.

We could pay Randy Albrecht a very small amount to come back and do that. Aim high why don't we? How is it that we give Majerus a pass because he has no seniors but he would if he didn't run them off? Still don't think that would matter because they woudl still be mediocre seniors at best. And if Majerus can't "do" it, then who can? I sincerely doubt we (SLU) can get anyone better.

Great --- Mitchell's in and no word on Reed. Handwriting on wall???

P.S. I am not a doctor, but what piece of slicing equipment got Majerus that badly in the leg? The bottom of the running board? I'm sure Eckerle didn't have a scapel in his socks? And with immediate treatment, it still gets infected? Smells like a duck? Walks like a duck? How does that happen?

What a bunch of Bull****-- You and your buddy the idiot troll 3Jack and the other trolls make comments and statements that don't have any factual support but you are the all knowing jerkwads. I was a few feet away from Majerus when he was hit and it was a serious collision. I thought he was badly injured the minute it happened. Boxers get huge cuts from just getting hit by padded gloves. The coach was run into and rammed into the furniture. He has a serious cut. Anyone on Warfarin is in serious danger from a bad cut and you need to elevate the leg to try to keep the bleeding under control. Many of us carry the MSRA virus and if we get a large cut it gets infected. The rates of such infections after simple operations in hospitals is skyrocketing in this country. I hope it is not that virus but any infected cut is dangerous. Look at David Lee. He was forced to have numerous operations and he missed numerous games when he had a very small cut on his elbow that got infected. But you the all knowing one has all the answers and believes that this is all a lie. I say go away-- you are a mean and bitter old man with nothing to do but rip on young kids who are playing hard and trying their best. Go away and please take these trolls like 3jack with you!

Skip.

If you add Barnett to the mix, then by all accounts, things look even better.

Many on this Board refuse to accept the fact that we have NO Seniors on our team. With 4 good JRs, then we would stand a chance to offset this void and still be good. Without our 2 best JRs, we are left with only 2 "role player" JRs and no SRs. Tough to overcome this.

Who is responsible for sending the would be Senior class packing?